Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (256) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2029110 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (1665) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dejidotun2000(m): 6:56pm On Jun 04, 2017
Between Fangpusun mppt 100/30 and epever 3210A which do you think is better. Thanks
zeestone99:

Bros use the 24v hybrid, i bliv it's a pure sine wave inverter. get a proper charge controller Mppt preferably(I dnt trust the controller embedded in hybrids) n u gud 2 go
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 7:47pm On Jun 04, 2017
It seems grid tie inverters are better & more efficient than battery based ones due to the what I read here, my question is that can I use it as off grid coz I am somehow confused or can it be used only in the presence of the national grid?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 7:52pm On Jun 04, 2017
They are both okay interms of performance though i have only used the Epever 3210A(my first mppt cc). The edge epver has is the internal display as you'll need to get external display for the fangpusun as it doesnt come with display. I have the 100/50 with display grin
dejidotun2000:
Please can you compare and contrast between fangpusun mppt 100/30 and epever 3210A

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:00pm On Jun 04, 2017
For the application you intended and your location, it is not. Grid tie works best with the grid, if you want to use it for offgrid system, the cost far outweighs the marginal efficiency you may have so that it becomes a costly solution and you'll still need backup batteries!. You do not want to solve a problem with a cost far higher than the problem unless u're doing it for research purposes. Those advocating gridtie in Nigeria should show us a practical installation, the cost of execution and the power gained vis-a-vis the offgrid system with batteries n cc. we are here to learn
Penuelseun:
It seems grid tie inverters are better & more efficient than battery based ones due to the what I read here, my question is that can I use it as off grid coz I am somehow confused or can it be used only in the presence of the national grid?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:08pm On Jun 04, 2017
Bro,

what happens to ur office loads being powered by a gridtie inverter that is not connected to the national grid and it starts raining or there is brief cloud cover? the office shutsdown? Put on generator?(forbiden in this forum grin), the micro inverter on each panel, what is their cost vs the added power gain?
jazzman2:

Sir, if you read my previous postings, I have always emphasized 100% off-grid systems that are comprised of predominantly day-time AC loads. It may be an office or a business premise or even residential that require loads that run mostly in the day-time. Mind you, people have different solar power requirements, so don't restrict your understanding to only traditional dc-coupled residential off-grid systems.

In this type of off-grid system, the overall energy conversion efficiency is very high (in the high 90's) as energy from the panel only undergoes 1 conversion cycle (DC to AC only) and this energy is consumed as AC directly. Charge controllers are not required in this system.

In the traditional DC-coupled systems, which you may be very familiar with, you have DC to DC (charge controller), DC to battery (battery chemistry; very poor efficiency for lead-acid batteries) and DC to AC (Inverter) conversion. Energy is lost at every stage of conversion. Overall energy conversion efficiency for traditional dc-coupled systems is generally low.

In conclusion, my emphasis or talking point IS about harnessing the high energy conversion efficiency of grid-tie inverters AC-coupled to battery based bi-directional inverters for off-grid systems where the primary load is day-time AC loads.

Check out this link on the efficiency figures: http://www.northwindre.com/article/ac-coupling-converting-your-grid-tied-pv-system-into-a-high-efficiency-battery-backup-system

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 9:14pm On Jun 04, 2017
dejidotun2000:
Gurus in the house, please which is better between Epever Tracer3210A and Fangpusun MPPT100/30A. I realize that they are both mppt cc and that the Epever has a screen while the Fangpusun requires an external display. Is there anyone here who has used both and can make informed comments about their real life performance. Thanks
Check my signature for the answer to that question
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jazzman2(m): 10:12pm On Jun 04, 2017
DMerciful:
Bro,

what happens to ur office loads being powered by a gridtie inverter that is not connected to the national grid and it starts raining or there is brief cloud cover? the office shutsdown? Put on generator?(forbiden in this forum grin), the micro inverter on each panel, what is their cost vs the added power gain?

Sir,

This type of systems usually have a battery backup option. That will take care of the scenario you described above.

In addition, ac-coupled systems are not only restricted to the use of micro-inverters. PV can be wired in strings to a standalone grid-tie inverter via a combiner box. The standalone grid-tie inverter (sometimes called a String or central inverter) can then be ac-coupled to a battery based parallel inverter hooked-up to a battery bank. However, PV shading and orientation poses significant issues with the string inverter. The problem of shading and PV orientation is almost completely eliminated with microinverters on each panel. MPPT is done on the panel-level and added power gains are as high as 30% as compared to string inverters that executes MPPT on full array-level. Cost is not always the most important economic parameter for evaluating solar systems. See the link below for more info:

http://energyinformative.org/are-solar-micro-inverters-better-than-central-inverters/

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dejidotun2000(m): 10:38pm On Jun 04, 2017
Thanks. You typed "Tracer 3215RN vs Fangpusun 30/100", was that a typo or does Tracer 3215RN have the exact same features as 3210A.
bigrovar:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 10:48pm On Jun 04, 2017
jazzman2:

Sir, if you read my previous postings, I have always emphasized 100% off-grid systems that are comprised of predominantly day-time AC loads. It may be an office or a business premise or even residential that require loads that run mostly in the day-time. Mind you, people have different solar power requirements, so don't restrict your understanding to only traditional dc-coupled residential off-grid systems.

In this type of off-grid system, the overall energy conversion efficiency is very high (in the high 90's) as energy from the panel only undergoes 1 conversion cycle (DC to AC only) and this energy is consumed as AC directly. Charge controllers are not required in this system.

In the traditional DC-coupled systems, which you may be very familiar with, you have DC to DC (charge controller), DC to battery (battery chemistry; very poor efficiency for lead-acid batteries) and DC to AC (Inverter) conversion. Energy is lost at every stage of conversion. Overall energy conversion efficiency for traditional dc-coupled systems is generally low.

In conclusion, my emphasis or talking point IS about harnessing the high energy conversion efficiency of grid-tie inverters AC-coupled to battery based bi-directional inverters for off-grid systems where the primary load is day-time AC loads.

Check out this link on the efficiency figures: http://www.northwindre.com/article/ac-coupling-converting-your-grid-tied-pv-system-into-a-high-efficiency-battery-backup-system

Thank you.
No
Thank you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 3:32am On Jun 05, 2017
dejidotun2000:
Thanks. You typed "Tracer 3215RN vs Fangpusun 30/100", was that a typo or does Tracer 3215RN have the exact same features as 3210A.
Typo. Thanks for pointing that out. It would be corrected. I wrote that post from my phone.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:10am On Jun 05, 2017
jazzman2:

Sir,

This type of systems usually have a battery backup option. That will take care of the scenario you described above.

In addition, ac-coupled systems are not only restricted to the use of micro-inverters. PV can be wired in strings to a standalone grid-tie inverter via a combiner box. The standalone grid-tie inverter (sometimes called a String or central inverter) can then be ac-coupled to a battery based parallel inverter hooked-up to a battery bank. However, PV shading and orientation poses significant issues with the string inverter. The problem of shading and PV orientation is almost completely eliminated with microinverters on each panel. MPPT is done on the panel-level and added power gains are as high as 30% as compared to string inverters that executes MPPT on full array-level. Cost is not always the most important economic parameter for evaluating solar systems. See the link below for more info:

http://energyinformative.org/are-solar-micro-inverters-better-than-central-inverters/

Enough talk. Here is a video of what you have been apostling about here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzcTFUcXwIY?t=241 the second video here (with details on the different between grid tie inverters and Micro Inverters in an AC coupled system.) and their comparison with offgrid systems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma6TN0PkohI

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ferdiwar: 7:11am On Jun 05, 2017
bigrovar:

I love what you are doing with the blog, full of knowledge with well detailed​ explanation and recommendation but I have a problem which is that I can't seem to comment or post anything there as the verification email for the disqus is not coming forth.

Please kindly advise on what to do to rectify this.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:47am On Jun 05, 2017
Ferdiwar:

I love what you are doing with the blog, full of knowledge with well detailed​ explanation and recommendation but I have a problem which is that I can't seem to comment or post anything there as the verification email for the disqus is not coming forth.

Please kindly advise on what to do to rectify this.

Thanks
Thanks for the observation. I have been a blogger for over 10 years. I blog mostly about technology especially with relation to open source and open culture. I took a break for about 3-4 years ago when I went on hiatus. Although I was planning to break the blogging hiatus and make a come back. The punishment NL content providers unfairly get from it's managers moved my hands. I will put things in order and do some proper house cleaning.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by purplekayc(m): 8:21am On Jun 05, 2017
GeorgeD1:
monitoring in progress...
Bros I need solar inverter for some of my appliances can u give advice?

Home theatre
Plasma TV
LCD TV
Strong decoder
Dstv decoder
7 energy bulbs
2 desktop computers
Mini sound system (surround)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:35am On Jun 05, 2017
purplekayc:
Bros I need solar inverter for some of my appliances can u give advice?

Home theatre
Plasma TV
LCD TV
Strong decoder
Dstv decoder
7 energy bulbs
2 desktop computers
Mini sound system (surround)

purplekayc,
could you resend this post with wattage attached to the equipments?
i can only give you proper recommendation if i know the total power demand of your house load.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:53am On Jun 05, 2017
all,
one day harvest, saturday...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by purplekayc(m): 12:00pm On Jun 05, 2017
GeorgeD1:

purplekayc,
I can only give you proper recommendation if I know the total power demand of your house load.
alright that would be towards evening
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 12:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
GeorgeD1:
all,

Chai!! Quite Impressive. Warri Genco! I wan buy fower grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:32pm On Jun 05, 2017
18kwh, north-facing panels...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
the current limit challenge...
solar array output clearly exceeds the tristar mppt 60 capacity...

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:55pm On Jun 05, 2017
the need for change is established...

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 1:01pm On Jun 05, 2017
GeorgeD1:
all,
Sir, this is wow. More sunshine to your panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcci: 1:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
Today marks 12 months since I embarked on RE journey and 10 months living off-grid.

It's been a rewarding experience to say the least, even though much improvement is required.

Hence, I give profound gratitude to the Eternal Source of Light that gave us the sun to give warmth and light.

And more blessing to all who ask questions and those who lovingly respond for the progress of everyone on this forum.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 1:54pm On Jun 05, 2017
GeorgeD1:
GeorgeD1:

@GeorgeD1 - Now you have enough "evidence" to upgrade your CC. grin grin

So what are you thinking of in terms of charge controller - MorningStar, Victron, Fangpusun/Outback......?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 2:07pm On Jun 05, 2017
FOR SALE
NEW SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER
12/24v 60amp
interested? call/sms/whatsapp - 08033735359

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ferdiwar: 2:30pm On Jun 05, 2017
bigrovar:

Enough talk. Here is a video of what you have been apostling about here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzcTFUcXwIY?t=241 the second video here (with details on the different between grid tie inverters and Micro Inverters in an AC coupled system.) and their comparison with offgrid systems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma6TN0PkohI

Thanks very informative wink

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:51pm On Jun 05, 2017
babaegun:

@GeorgeD1 - Now you have enough "evidence" to upgrade your CC. grin grin

So what are you thinking of in terms of charge controller - MorningStar, Victron, Fangpusun/Outback......?

babaegun,
you're right.i knew the array size was greater than the capacity of the cc right from time
but I wanted to get a practical field test and the monitoring reports have confirmed this.

i'll most likely be getting a midnite classic 150.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 3:45pm On Jun 05, 2017
GeorgeD1:

being a non-Fan heat-cooling CC, now I believe tristar is a good product.
just imagine! 60.5A when some CC will advice you to limit your current 55A.

I wish I had one!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 5:43pm On Jun 05, 2017
Kudos and congratulations.
mcci:

Today marks 12 months since I embarked on RE journey and 10 months living off-grid.

It's been a rewarding experience to say the least, even though much improvement is required.

Hence, I give profound gratitude to the Eternal Source of Light that gave us the sun to give warmth and light.

And more blessing to all who ask questions and those who lovingly respond for the progress of everyone on this forum.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by purplekayc(m): 5:52pm On Jun 05, 2017
GeorgeD1:

purplekayc,
I can only give you proper recommendation if I know the total power demand of your house load.

Home theatre. 850 watts
Plasma TV. 180 watts
LCD TV. 70 watts
Strong decoder. 25 watts
Dstv decoder. 45 watts
8 energy saving bulbs. 26 watts each
2 CPU s. 650 & 500 watts
Surround system. 1000 watts
2 monitors. 17 watts & 30 watts
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:05pm On Jun 05, 2017
purplekayc:

Home theatre. 850 watts
Plasma TV. 180 watts
LCD TV. 70 watts
Strong decoder. 25 watts
Dstv decoder. 45 watts
8 energy saving bulbs. 26 watts each
2 CPU s. 650 & 500 watts
Surround system. 1000 watts
2 monitors. 17 watts & 30 watts

There is no way an home theater or sound surrounds can consume 850w and 1000w respectively. You are confusing sound watts with electricity watts. Get a watt meter for proper testing

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by purplekayc(m): 7:11pm On Jun 05, 2017
bigrovar:

There is no way an home theater or sound surrounds can consume 850w and 1000w respectively. You are confusing sound watts with electricity watts. Get a watt meter for proper testing
will check again

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (1665) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: dollarnaira, saint2ace(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.