Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,217 members, 7,807,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (367) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2041396 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) ... (1677) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 5:57pm On Mar 07, 2018
Its sad to see this newly commissioned ipower 5kva 48v power system develop "fault" in less than 2 weeks of installation. It powers less than 950w load on 2kw PV array .
The major disadvantages of this is whilst on "warranty repair" ;
- solar array remains dormant
- client can't enjoy inverter set up.
- client remains sceptic problem might persist.

Nevertheless, most client prefers hybrid systems even after vivid orientation .. It's well !

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 7:25pm On Mar 07, 2018
Orientation ke! This is akin to askin folks to quit buying Toyota's, cos of several recalls by the manufacture. Buy Honda instead grin

kiekie1:
Nevertheless, most client prefers hybrid systems even after vivid orientation .. It's well !

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:01pm On Mar 07, 2018
Barezzi:
Orientation ke! This is akin to askin folks to quit buying Toyota's, cos of several recalls by the manufacture. Buy Honda instead grin

Haha grin my Oga i feel you !

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tsmall(m): 4:35am On Mar 08, 2018
kiekie1:
Its sad to see this newly commissioned ipower 5kva 48v power system develop "fault" in less than 2 weeks of installation. It powers less than 950w load on 2kw PV array .

The truth is you can only advice.

If you know you know. My piece.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 6:52am On Mar 08, 2018
tsmall:

The truth is you can only advice.

If you know you know. My piece.

Tsmall,
Good morning Deji, Noted !

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:28am On Mar 08, 2018
kiekie1:

HURRY! DISCOUNTED PRICES ON SUNSHINE SOLAR PANELS !!

250w mono. N42,000 
200w mono. N35,000
150w mono. N27,000

300w poly. N47,000
280w poly. N45,000
260w poly. N40,000
250w poly. N38,000
200w poly. N32,000
150w poly. N26,000
130w poly. N23,000

Smartcell global services
081-350-31951

Keep your orders coming ... Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 8:48am On Mar 08, 2018
kiekie1:

2 weeks plenty.... I know of a radio station where 3# of that ipower 5kva with 5.7kw Solar on each were installed. Told the engineer that it's a bad idea to use that kind of set up for an off grid radio station.

immediately the systems were powered, one of the inverters was blown. had some liquid-like fluid coming out from the inverter.
To cut the whole story short, after the inverter was repaired and returned, the same incident repeated again. After many arguing, he bought an external CC (of course from his pocket, not from the radio station)...

I also noticed something that shocks me with this hybrid system. At any point in time, If the load capacity becomes less than the solar power, the Inverter won't charge the battery. there were times that the solar power was showing around 2.7kw but the load capacity was around 2.9kw and the charger wasn't coming on. it only comes on once the solar power excess that of the load. Can you just imagine that!!! 2.7kw and battery won't charge.!!! this was monitored for 4hrs and the inverter charger keeps coming on and off depending on whether the solar power is greater or less than the load capacity.

After everything, the engineer got another external CC (that's 2 now) while he left one Inverter to be solely hybrid and he subsequently reduced the load to less than 2kw.

It was a bitter experience for the supposedly engineer and even though I tried to advice him ab initio the installation, he didn't listen and I didn't expect him to; after all I only happened to be there for a different purpose but I decided to stay and observe. so how can a solar engineer take advice from an observer?? lolz
I really learnt from that his mistake

So, PERSONALLY for ME, hybrid system is a no go area.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 8:52am On Mar 08, 2018
How are pictures uploaded here?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 9:59am On Mar 08, 2018
mcTrinity:

I also noticed something that shocks me with this hybrid system. At any point in time, If the load capacity becomes less than the solar power, the Inverter won't charge the battery. there were times that the solar power was showing around 2.7kw but the load capacity was around 2.9kw and the charger wasn't coming on. it only comes on once the solar power excess that of the load. Can you just imagine that!!! 2.7kw and battery won't charge.!!! this was monitored for 4hrs and the inverter charger keeps coming on and off depending on whether the solar power is greater or less than the load capacity.
That's the way they were designed to work. It only dumps excess power from the panels to the batteries after using up what it needs for the load.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:26am On Mar 08, 2018
This engineer appears to have exceeded the solar input limit (~3kw) of the Zinox hybrid by putting 5.7kw of Panels on it - I have never heard/read that the Zinox Axpert inbuilt MPPT supports over sizing the PV array. He may well have exceeded the VoC limit as well hence with these two egregious errors the poor hybrid blew at first use. Fluid leaking out looks to me like a blown capacitor likely due to too high voltage.

For charging, the PV array cannot charge the batteries when the instantaneous load presented to the inverter are of higher wattage than the wattage produced by the PV array. The inverter will source the balance of current required to power the loads from the batteries and this is natural and per design. Except there is another power source available e.g. PHCN/Generator.

I started off with the 48v 5kva Zinox hybrid and they are pretty decent performers so long as they are used within their specs and tolerance because they have no/poor inbuilt protections and this is inevitable to achieve their low budget price point. That Zinox is still in use today 4 years later and is the only source of power in my family house - of course the PV array is connected to a separate dedicated charge controller with the inbuilt MPPT within the Zinox as a backup.

The engineer may have made a poor design choice choosing a light duty residential focused hybrid inverter for use in an industrial setting.

mcTrinity:

2 weeks plenty.... I know of a radio station where 3# of that ipower 5kva with 5.7kw Solar on each were installed. Told the engineer that it's a bad idea to use that kind of set up for an off grid radio station.

immediately the systems were powered, one of the inverters was blown. had some liquid-like fluid coming out from the inverter.
To cut the whole story short, after the inverter was repaired and returned, the same incident repeated again. After many arguing, he bought an external CC (of course from his pocket, not from the radio station)...

After everything, the engineer got another external CC (that's 2 now) while he left one Inverter to be solely hybrid and he subsequently reduced the load to less than 2kw.

It was a bitter experience for the supposedly engineer and even though I tried to advice him ab initio the installation, he didn't listen and I didn't expect him to; after all I only happened to be there for a different purpose but I decided to stay and observe. so how can a solar engineer take advice from an observer?? lolz

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 11:33am On Mar 08, 2018
pranil:

1. The CC has better efficiency on lower voltages( 2 in series ) closely matching the battery nominal and will run cooler as a result. While higher voltages ( 3 in series) will mean lower cable losses and fewer cables in the junction box. The CC will wake up earlier and sleep later.
Normally if you are running CC close to max input use 2 in series ( otherwise you will lose significant power in the afternoon). if your panels
are undersized then 3 in series as a general thumb rule

2. Definitely combiner box with surge protection - buy the readymade( highly recommend midnight solar) or make yourself but definitely no twisting things together. It is much easier to troubleshoot the panels when they are misbehaving

3. see the attached file and calculate the ratings. Basically the rated current x0.8 ( correction for ambient temp) so 4 mm2 will carry 25 amps , 6 mm2 -33 and 10 mm2 -40

Based on your configuration use the correct size 4 or 6 mm2 from PV to Junction box and then from Junction box to CC suitably sized cable

Best luck

Thank you for response.
So it will be better to connect the 12Nr 300w
in 2 series to get 6 strings?

Please between Fangpusun FM 80A MPPT and VICTRON ENERGY BLUESOLAR MPPT 70A which is has a better algorithm and can be hocked up to the internet .

Thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 11:55am On Mar 08, 2018
nonoski:

Thank you for response.
So it will be better to connect the 12Nr 300w
in 2 series to get 6 strings?

Please between Fangpusun FM 80A MPPT and VICTRON ENERGY BLUESOLAR MPPT 70A which is has a better algorithm and can be hocked up to the internet .

Thank you

personally, I have not used Fangpusun but I am using Victron chare controller inverters BMV etc and they are very good sturdy products. The Victron software development is legendary with access to open source and user forums. If you like to tinker and like remote monitoring get Victron. By adding a 35 USD pie and their opensource venus software you get access to VRM portal which helps you keep logs and performance data up to 5 years or more

Have a look at my website on what is possible. ( be sure to click on the advanced tab to see all graphs)

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/12623/share/97b72cbb

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/raspberrypi-install-venus-image

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 6:53pm On Mar 08, 2018
pranil:

personally, I have not used Fangpusun but I am using Victron chare controller inverters BMV etc and they are very good sturdy products. The Victron software development is legendary with access to open source and user forums. If you like to tinker and like remote monitoring get Victron. By adding a 35 USD pie and their opensource venus software you get access to VRM portal which helps you keep logs and performance data up to 5 years or more

Have a look at my website on what is possible. ( be sure to click on the advanced tab to see all graphs)

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/12623/share/97b72cbb

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/raspberrypi-install-venus-image

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NoMoreTrolling: 8:19pm On Mar 08, 2018
DMerciful:
So I thought when I opted for 1hp AC only to realise its up-to 1200w.The 1hp is only compressor... what about the fan that cools the radiator? What about the fan in the inside unit for circulation? Energy nor easy o

Hey, still on the topic of efficient air conditioners, check out the chart below for energy efficient inverter acs wattage vs convenctional compressor acs wattage.

http://www.thermospace.com/ductless_split/ymgi/energy-star-9000-btu-inverter-ductless-split.php

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:18pm On Mar 08, 2018
Whatsapp me... My number on my signature
ebocoms:
Good morning All,

Please i need Epsolar Box-WIFI-01 and Communication Cable wire CC-RJ45-3.81-150U RS-232 RS-485 RJ45. Anyone in house have one for sale or knows where I can it in Lagos?

See attached pix
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 7:17am On Mar 09, 2018
bodejohn:
Still available...

12/24/48V 45Amps TriStar MPPT CC complete with displays - 2pcs

Items are in good condition and comes with 3 months warranty.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:53am On Mar 09, 2018
mcTrinity:

Solar installers. Most of them will ruin you if not care. My advise to folks is to endeavor to RTFM and not just rely on the words of the installer.
. My institute sometimes in 2016 got some donated ICT equipment from the FG. 1 10kva Ipowerplus and 16 solar panels and 16 batteries Right of the bat, I initiated conversion with their engineers to discus optimization of the setup

They wanted 16 batteries on one 10kva 48v inverter. I told them no can do. No way u are going to parallel batteries in 4 layers. Not on my watch. I adviced them to instead bring 2 5kva Ipowerplus and reluctantly agreed to a battery slit of 8 batteries per inverter.

Next they wanted to connect 4 panels in series x2 and parallel the output. The VOC of their panels was 38v and the Ipowerplus had a max voc of 148v. Right away I told them no can do. Their setup would kill the controller. The engineer swore he usually test the PV and they never reaches 38v saying the panel voc was a figure that can't be reached.. Told him unless on a raining afternoon when the sky clears and the sun picks out.. I told him we could only use 12 of his panel in a 3 x 3 series parallel formation for each battery bank / inverter that or we procure 6 additional panels and do a 3 x 3 x 3 formation. He reluctantly agreed after all I will be signing off on the project he had no choice.
. And so it where till this day the Ipowerplus is still serving. If I had been a novice that's how the plus would of blown up and I would of blamed the hardware. Many of the issues people are having with the Ipowerplus is down to wrong configuration.
. One reason why I can understand why it is used in a radio station is due to its remarkable sub 12 milliseconds grid to backup transfer time. Allowing it to power sensitive IT equipment without disrupting or shutting them down during grid to backup transfer. No inverter (beside sukam when you activate UPS mode) has such a feature not even Victron or any if the big boy premium inverters. For those you would still need a UPS to sit in front of your equipment to prevent failure during power failure.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 9:39am On Mar 09, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Good day Oga GeorgeD.

While we are at it please would you happen to know what the recommended/ideal absorb voltage for Quanta batteries is.

I have read 13.8volts as the 'freshening charge' on the spec sheet and also the Amaron Quanta website but I struggle to believe this to be true.

In real life I use 14.1v or 14 2v as the absorb setpoint for Quanta batteries at client locations but I always lose some sleep thinking whether I may be overcharging their batteries.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 1:38pm On Mar 09, 2018
Many thanks for this Sir.

I myself have seen a similar document that made me more confused because it mentioned 13.8v boost voltage as the upper cap

Please how do you interprete the boost voltage guidance especially the upper/over voltage limit?

Is it 13.8v per 12v battery or between 13.8v to 14.2v per 12v battery?

mcTrinity:
See below

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 4:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Many thanks for this Sir.

I myself have seen a similar document that made me more confused because it mentioned 13.8v boost voltage as the upper cap

Please how do you interprete the boost voltage guidance especially the upper/over voltage limit?

Is it 13.8v per 12v battery or between 13.8v to 14.2v per 12v battery?

well, I don't think it was stated as a range. So, I wouldn't say if it means between 13.8v and 14.2v.

if they say that 13.8v is boost voltage but 14.2v is the "Charge over voltage cut off point", it means that anything above 13.8v is not too good for the battery and you shouldn't even think of doing above 14.1v

So, I think it's just 13.8v for a 12v system.

My point of view, though

Cheers sir
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 5:51pm On Mar 09, 2018
This is my struggle - per conventional wisdom lead acid batteries require an absorb voltage of at least 14volts especially when used in a deep cycle application. Why do the Quanta folks think an absorb voltage as low as 13.8volts is best for their own AGM battery?

mcTrinity:

well, I don't think it was stated as a range. So, I wouldn't say if it means between 13.8v and 14.2v.

if they say that 13.8v is boost voltage but 14.2v is the "Charge over voltage cut off point", it means that anything above 13.8v is not too good for the battery and you shouldn't even think of doing above 14.1v

So, I think it's just 13.8v for a 12v system.

My point of view, though

Cheers sir
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by duwdu: 6:07pm On Mar 09, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
This is my struggle - per conventional wisdom lead acid batteries require an absorb voltage of at least 14volts especially when used in a deep cycle application. Why do the Quanta folks think an absorb voltage as low as 13.8volts is best for their own AGM battery?

Eventually, someone may have to get an official clarification from Quanta, I think, probably by correspondence? (I'm a novice on this RE ecosystem for now.)

P34c3
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 7:55pm On Mar 09, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:

I have no idea my brother... I've sent them an enquiry about something last 2 weeks but no reply yet. you can try sending them one and see if they'll respond.

nevertheless, every manufacturer have their reasons for recommending their values.
if I'm not mistaken, Luminous own is 14.1-14.4v so also is Safepower. mpower hybrid gel is 14.4-15.0v. they're stamped on their batteries.

Quanta recommended a charging current of 10-25% rated capacity whereas Luminous & Safepower recommended 30% maximum

so, every brand with their recommendations I guess

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:38pm On Mar 09, 2018
mcTrinity:

I have no idea my brother... I've sent them an enquiry about something last 2 weeks but no reply yet. you can try sending them one and see if they'll respond.

nevertheless, every manufacturer have their reasons for recommending their values.
if I'm not mistaken, Luminous own is 14.1-14.4v so also is Safepower. mpower hybrid gel is 14.4-15.0v. they're stamped on their batteries.

Quanta recommended a charging current of 10-25% rated capacity whereas Luminous & Safepower recommended 30% maximum

so, every brand with their recommendations I guess

Cheers

Nice point ! Fullriver 200ah battery states 40a max charging current ... Cheer's

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:22pm On Mar 09, 2018
bodejohn:

Dear friends,

I have the following items available for sale.

12/24/48V 45Amps TriStar MPPT CC complete with displays - 2pcs

Items are in good condition and comes with 3 months warranty.

hello bodejohn,
you've been pushing these two mppt ccs for a while now. is there any particular reason
why you don't want to disclose your offer price? i think pricing is one strong incentive you
can use in wooing any undecided customer who might be interested in patronising your
wares. beyond pictures, affix a price tag and make it negotiable - in case you're worried
that your price would scare away potential buyers.
just my two cents.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 6:58am On Mar 10, 2018
GeorgeD1:

hello bodejohn,
you've been pushing these two mppt ccs for a while now. is there any particular reason
why you don't want to disclose your offer price? i think pricing is one strong incentive you
can use in wooing any undecided customer who might be interested in patronising your
wares. beyond pictures, affix a price tag and make it negotiable - in case you're worried
that your price would scare away potential buyers.
just my two cents.

Thanks George, I don't want the price negotiations to derail the thread and since they are premium equipment, I don't want to also scare my customers... smiles.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 7:11am On Mar 10, 2018
bodejohn:

Thanks George, I don't want the price negotiations to derail the thread and since they are premium equipment, I don't want to also scare my customers... smiles.

We know it's a premium cc and we are aware of the price. You still need to state the price. Do have nice day.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 7:34am On Mar 10, 2018
Oshomo12:

We know it's a premium cc and we are aware of the price. You still need to state the price. Do have nice day.

You are free to contact me if you need to know the price..

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sharks776(m): 10:11am On Mar 10, 2018
Oshomo12:

He tagged it at 150k, me think its a bit on a high side considering it not brand new. Anyway, my opinion

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaniellaDokubo(f): 11:13am On Mar 10, 2018
Hello,

I need a 2.4kva mercury inverter fairly used for purchase.

I want to experiment with it and if it works out then we have a deal. Kindly PM if you have and you live in Lagos.

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ijeoma660(f): 11:51am On Mar 10, 2018
Ijeoma660:
My surprise is not just about my tripping breakers alone as you all are right about breaker undersized capacity. Intact the first thing too on my mind was solar flares. Wikipedia to the rescue.

My main issue is that my CC is rated as 3KW, 60A mppt CC.
At 581w I am already having 42Amps.

What's gonna happen at the 3kw mark?

Here is my little story...

21/01/18 Successfully mounted my PV array with 4 x 250wp, 3kw cc
04/02/18 I increased my Solar array to 6nos with the addition of 2 x 325wp PVs
09/02/18 Replaced my 4 x 200AH very old batteries with 2 x 200AH
09/03/18 One full month, I have not used my generator. i only support the system with PHCN.
10/03/18 For the first time we did not have PHCN for a full 24hours and I have depended on Solar all through the day and night with TVs and fans running on auto cruise.

The attached picture is my readings around midday!

Congrats to all of us.

PS: I have contributed my little quota in minimizing greenhouse gas GHG emissions and reducing the impact of global warming to preserve the planet for your kids, my kids and our grand kids to have a world to live in...

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 12:17pm On Mar 10, 2018
DaniellaDokubo:
Hello,

I need a 2.4kva mercury inverter fairly used for purchase.

I want to experiment with it and if it works out then we have a deal. Kindly PM if you have and you live in Lagos.

Thanks.

And if your experiment goes south and you blow up the inverter what happens?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) ... (1677) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: jonescosmos, foonshur(m), ladyjblinks(f), Samtobh(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.