Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,510 members, 7,808,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (495) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2043008 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) ... (1679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 2:21pm On Jan 14, 2019
panini:
Hello Solar Gurus in the forum,

I just got a small solar system of a 300W solar panel, a PWM charge controller, a 1000W inverter and a used 200Ah battery.

My laptop charger is 65W and the system lasts 3 hours at night. I would like to know if I plug a fan of same wattage (65W) as the laptop without plugging the laptop, would I have the same number of hours? My thought goes into the induction coil in the fan. I am being careful as I got a fairly used battery and I don't want to put too much strain on it.

Please help on this.
Usually, unless you're running your fan at top speed, it should be around 35W or thereabouts for average speeds. Laptops (depending on application) consume roughly the same except when charging when they can take up to max ratings (mine sucks around 80W when charging and is rated 120W being an octa-core).

I think there would be no harm in trying. Baby steps are often the way to learn.

PS: An energy meter would help. JUO and Kiekie1 stock them

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 3:34pm On Jan 14, 2019
mank1234:
Available for sale at the following offer price:

Morningstar Tristar 60A MPPT charge controller @ N200,000

2 " 325W solar panel at N55,000 each

Victron battery balancer at N25,000

Current location: Eket

your digit?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 4:42pm On Jan 14, 2019
I use this for a small installation I did for my sister and it has worked for about a year
Fast Intelligent 20A 12V Automobile Car Motorcycle Charger 110V-240V Smart Sealed Lead Acid Battery Charger LED Digital Display
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ctSG4Xyc
Saipro:
My primary 12V charger died after about 10 years of meritorious service. Not keen on rewinding the transformer nor tampering with the FETs (done that once before and it wasn't quite the same).

Any recommendations for something cheap and reliable? Needn't exceed 20A (max 30A). Currently rigged a spare 250W panel with a spare CC to help people maintain batteries kept with me.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:11pm On Jan 14, 2019
Saipro:
My primary 12V charger died after about 10 years of meritorious service. Not keen on rewinding the transformer nor tampering with the FETs (done that once before and it wasn't quite the same).

Any recommendations for something cheap and reliable? Needn't exceed 20A (max 30A). Currently rigged a spare 250W panel with a spare CC to help people maintain batteries kept with me.

BRO, cheap is relative, bought this off jumia, been serving me for infrequent top ups of not welll driven car batts
https://www./suoer-12v-24v-20amps-smart-car-battery-charger-with-lcd-meter-18534822.html

main con for me its has only an ammeter, no voltmeter display, max current i have seen it output is 11amps, though have not connected it to a fully depleted battery to see if it would output more juice
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 7:29pm On Jan 14, 2019
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:44pm On Jan 14, 2019
Saipro:

Hello Sir, I have durable intelligent 20a & 30a chargers .. pls see signature for contact ! Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:46pm On Jan 14, 2019
Prag pricelist loading ...... Stay tuned !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by johnmba: 8:13pm On Jan 14, 2019
Please is there any side effect connecting the output of my inverter with one wire ( the live).
I didnt see the neutral from the output.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 8:38pm On Jan 14, 2019
Pls which brand of servo or stabilizers are most reliable.
Some say Prag other say A & E Dunamis while others recommend Mercury.
Please based on user experience which brand is most reliable (15kva -20kva single phase) with wide input range 100v - 240v.

Thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:55pm On Jan 14, 2019
ojeysky:

Crisvicmall is actually cheaper, still looking for one that can beat their option.

Actually it seem there are no good reports[1] about crisvicmall so use them at your own risk

[1] https://www.nairaland.com/1328960/chrisvicmall-customer-service-shippingprocurement-escrow/73#71982948

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:59pm On Jan 14, 2019
Saipro:

PS: An energy meter would help. JUO and Kiekie1 stock them

I do have a new energy meter if you are interested can give you for 8k
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:10pm On Jan 14, 2019
nonoski:
Pls which brand of servo or stabilizers are most reliable.
Some say Prag other say A & E Dunamis while others recommend Mercury.
Please based on user experience which brand is most reliable (15kva -20kva single phase) with wide input range 100v - 240v.

Thank you

Am using a 10kva Dunamis bought about 3 months ago....works well so far. It has a wide band as well 80v to 260v though once the current is below 150v iron, kettle etc are a no go area and the stab produces so much noise that make me scared of the stab spoiling.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 9:32pm On Jan 14, 2019
ojeysky:

Am using a 10kva Dunamis bought about 3 months ago....works well so far. It has a wide band as well 80v to 260v though once the current is below 150v iron, kettle etc are a no go area and the stab produces so much noise that make me scared of the stab spoiling.

Wow i tot it was only the bluegate brand i met in my friends house that makes such noise.

Maybe i should just go for isolated 5kva stabs for important equipment instead of buying these noisy 20kva central stab
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:01pm On Jan 14, 2019
nonoski:

Wow i tot it was only the bluegate brand i met in my friends house that makes such noise.

Maybe i should just go for isolated 5kva stabs for important equipment instead of buying these noisy 20kva central stab

Note that the noise happens only when the current is very low and if/when I use high wattage appliances like iron/kettle/microwave, with the low input otherwise all is fine. If you don't have constant low voltage (<150v) then you should be fine
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 9:36am On Jan 15, 2019
NoMoreTrolling:
We just ordered for a couple battleborns Lifepo4 12v 100ah batteries and they are in transit to Nigeria.

I must say that I'm very very excited at the thought of having a battery that delivers 100% of it's rated capacity over a long period of time.

I will keep the house posted when they arrive and on how they perform and if indeed Lithium is the future.

From the way I see it, even at current prices, they may already be more cost effective than their lead acid counterparts, especially the ones from Nigeria.

Can't wait for the reviews and price especially

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 9:40am On Jan 15, 2019
zeestone99:
For sale

4 months used 3 units flames 300w - 35k each
4months Fangpusun flexmax 60amps controller - 80k

Reason 4 sale - money needed urgently
Prices r slightly negotiable
Call/whatapp 08117398294

Sold

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 12:18pm On Jan 15, 2019
ojeysky:

Actually it seem there are no good reports[1] about crisvicmall so use them at your own risk

[1] https://www.nairaland.com/1328960/chrisvicmall-customer-service-shippingprocurement-escrow/73#71982948

Another huddle: The seller is saying they ship from Taiwan. That if the shipper is receiving in China, that she'll have to pay tax in China. Any idea of Chinese tax rate?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 4:18pm On Jan 15, 2019
mank1234:

Another huddle: The seller is saying they ship from Taiwan. That if the shipper is receiving in China, that she'll have to pay tax in China. Any idea of Chinese tax rate?

I want to belief that d shipper should give u that info. Have you discussed with him on this, when he gave u quotation, is he aware that it's coming from Taiwan?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:13pm On Jan 15, 2019
johnmba:
Please is there any side effect connecting the output of my inverter with one wire ( the live).
I didnt see the neutral from the output.

There will be no output if the neutral is missing.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eddyline(m): 7:33pm On Jan 15, 2019
ojeysky:

pls Whats d cost of Your stab and where did you get it from
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:43pm On Jan 15, 2019
eddyline:

pls Whats d cost of Your stab and where did you get it from

I bought it 105k sadly the same stab was 50k in 2015, such a broken country within just a few years.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by johnmba: 7:49pm On Jan 15, 2019
mctfopt:

There will be no output if the neutral is missing.

thanks.....But there is light in the house when we switch on the inverter. I dont know what the installer did
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2019
Oshomo12:

I want to belief that d shipper should give u that info. Have you discussed with him on this, when he gave u quotation, is he aware that it's coming from Taiwan?

Yes. Shipper discussed with seller.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2019
grin I day wait...
NoMoreTrolling:

I will keep the house posted when they arrive and on how they perform and if indeed Lithium is the future.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:54pm On Jan 15, 2019
Common neutrals! Not necessarily code compliant but that is how 90% of naija houses are probably (mis)wired and by jove it works!

Your inverter loads are sharing the same neutral wiring connected to the Main neutral bus in your DB so once the live load wires are energised by the inverter output live wire, you have a complete circuit with the Main neutral bus and loads power on as usual.

If someone were to ever mix up the live and neutral wires anywhere in the house, your inverter would sense a short circuit on the output and either shut down gracefully or be destroyed - if possible you should install a suitably sized MCB on the inverter output to protect against this possibility.

johnmba:

thanks.....But there is light in the house when we switch on the inverter. I dont know what the installer did

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by johnmba: 9:01pm On Jan 15, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Common neutrals! Not necessarily code compliant but that is how 90% of naija houses are probably (mis)wired but by jove it works!

Your inverter loads are sharing the same neutral wires as the PHCN/Gen neutral bus in your DB.

Thanks bro....does this have any effect on the inverter or the battery backup time
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:17pm On Jan 15, 2019
No effects on battery backup time as far as I know.

I believe that using common neutrals increases the possibility of catastrophic damage in the event of a wiring fault - also most people do not obey the NEC code guidelines on how to properly size the neutral wire when doing common neutrals so if done incorrectly the possibility of overloaded neutral wires and wires melting and causing a fire increases.

johnmba:

Thanks bro....does this have any effect on the inverter or the battery backup time
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 9:46pm On Jan 15, 2019
See what I found when I opened up my old reliable Mercury 5KVA Inverter for cleaning recently.

Mind you, the inverter is located is located in a dedicated power room with a small window not facing the road. Yet, see how dusty it is.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:53pm On Jan 15, 2019
dapsyra:
See what I found when I opened up my old reliable Mercury 5KVA Inverter for cleaning recently.

Mind you, the inverter is located is located in a dedicated power room with a small window not facing the road. Yet, see how dusty it is.

A blower comes in handy for this issue. A preventive maintenance sure helps prolong lifespan of machines and electronics. Kudos.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:54pm On Jan 15, 2019
Chai! Harmattan dust and so thick too

dapsyra:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by johnmba: 11:20pm On Jan 15, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
No effects on battery backup time as far as I know.

I believe that using common neutrals increases the possibility of catastrophic damage in the event of a wiring fault - also most people do not obey the NEC code guidelines on how to properly size the neutral wire when doing common neutrals so if done incorrectly the possibility of overloaded neutral wires and wires melting and causing a fire increases.

Thank you for this lecture. Oshe
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:43pm On Jan 15, 2019
dapsyra:

failed country!!.
dubai that is gob smack in the desert, with ferocious sandstorms and dust does not have this dust challenge at all, cos everywhere around the city is paved or tiled, or flowers planted and watered . seeing open sand no easy o..unless you drive far out of the city, and dubai doesnt have oil, only thriving on tourism!

(1) (2) (3) ... (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) ... (1679) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: ojesymsym, deking(m), abuzz33 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.