Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,753 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2032258 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (1667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:50pm On Jun 27, 2014
richmon74,
abunafiu,
juo,
all,

looks like we got to start the year all over again.
fortunately for us, it may not be such a bad idea seeing all the acrimony that took place here of recent.
let's therefore seize this opportunity for a fresh start devoid of brickbats.

so guys, welcome to the new 2014 in june! as the holy book says, let him that stole steal no more. let him
that cursed, curse no more. in the same vein, also, let him that spammed, spam no more, for we be
brethren!

may the sun never set on all our endeavours. amen!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by blexxonmak(m): 3:27pm On Jun 27, 2014
May God have mercy!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Talibanis: 10:42pm On Jun 27, 2014
DIY on track!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 8:10pm On Jun 28, 2014
Hello friends, its been tough episode in the history of our dear thread. I have personally tried to dig out my recent post but the anti spam feature keeps putting me out.
Here is my post where I gave a summary of my experience with the trojan batteries I recently acquired tru richmond 74.

My observations so far with my T105 batts.

Firstly, a summary of my previous set up.
1.2 Kw joy solar panels.
3.5 kva Sukham.
TriStar mppt 60a charge controller .
4 batts ( safe power ) 200ah each .

problems with d above set up.
I discovered one of the batteries usually charge up to 15v while others are within normal range of 14.1 and 13.7. I felt this was an abnormal situation . I did a lot of research but I was not satisfied with my findings . I called some senior members on this thread to share their experience with charging with d Sukham 3.5k. A member told me he experienced d same but all he does was swapping the battery position every week.
I wasn't satisfied and went ahead to buy the Sukham batt equaliser as against Richmond's advice , the equaliser was a total waste of money. All I wanted d equaliser to do is to help maintain equal battery voltage along d series battery connection.
I later observed that the Sukham abnormal charge has a relationship with d PHCN supply and sunlight intensity. when d PHCN supply is steady( not fluctuating), I get a perfect charge. when there is no PHCN but bright sun, my controller charges perfectly. but when there is unsteady PHCN and high sun, the battery will charge to 15v plus and d controller will be flashing HVD high voltage disconnect .

I owe this to totalgreen and Richmond who never got tired of my questions and complains .

personally, I discovered ( I may be wrong) that d Sukham is too powerfull for the Safepower batts or d Safepower batts are substandard or d Sukham has a poor charging algorithm.

Upon installing the Trojans, I was instructed by Richmond to equalise immediately which I did bearing in mind all necessary precautions.
I have observed so far with d Trojans that my Sukham is no match for them as it struggles to get the batts to absorption (14.5-14.7). With this , d problem of abnormal charging is gone. Another problem was expected which is undercharging. Since d Sukham can't get to absorption, it means d battery life will be shortened. Thank God, I already had a TriStar 60a mppt to complete d job and take s batteries beyond absorption (equalisation).
For the past three days now, I have been observing equal batt voltage across d series.
My conclusion (I may be wrong ) now is that to enjoy trojan batts to d fullest, u need a high end inverter/charger/controller . Trojans are built to be charged by smart chargers capable of equalisation.
Today , regardless of d PHCN supply or sun intensity , the batteries are being given d right amount of charge.
I shall update u as I make more discoveries.
Pardon me as am unable to upload pictures as am using my phone. BTW anyone who can recommend a good picture resizing application for android so that I can easily upload.

NB : I had to change d settings of d charge controller tru d dip switch to flooded configuration.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 8:24pm On Jun 28, 2014
As I wrote in one of my recent posts. The performance of the T-105RE batteries is highly impressive. So I have decided to double my current battery bank . Richmond was there as usual as he delivered another set of 8 T-105RE batteries to me few days ago. I just completed equalisation using my tsmppt controller and had connected them in parallel both the new and previous set of batts. my battery bank is now 48V @ 450AH.
As usual, I shall keep u guys posted .

As for my current 1200w solar panels, its obvious they can't do much to charge the batts not even up to absorption.
I was tipped by Richmond to revert to the 3*3 configuration of panel arrangement. I was able to use only 9 out of my ten panels ( making 1080w)..the last one is not connected. I was surprised at the performance. When I was using 2*2 arrangement , my average yield was between 13 and 15 amps with 21amps max and equalisation voltage was never above 60.2v...... but now with 3*3 configuration I get average of 15 and 17amps and some times 22.5amps max. When I calculated the efficiency...the maximum with 3*3 configuration was 108% ie 1170/1080 watts....while the equalisation voltage is now above 61v infact , I saw 61.4 and my target is 62v.

My plan now is to get note panels( double my current PV strength ) as I was made to understand I need nothing less than 90 amps to charge my battery bank from 100% dod but I don't think I will ever go above 50% dod so by the time I get an average of 40 amps( around 2000w panels) my batts will never be short of charge.

To be honest !... I agree with juo where he pointed out that the batteries drain fast when using light load . however, in my own case my system voltage is 48v so the effect was not felt that much and was better than my previous Safepower 200ah. Another reason for this might be temperature as I discovered a little shortage of backup time about 3 days ago when d weather was cold(18°C). The overall reason as stated by the manufacturers is that the batteries perform at peak after 50-100 discharge cycles.
The batts are to be equalised before being put use( download and read the manual from trojan website)...there is a lot to learn from the manual.
I was able to get 5 litres of distilled H²0 on standby just in case I notice water shortage though am not expecting any for now till about 3months from now since am not a heavy user.

Let me use this medium to show my appreciation to George_D who has always been sharing his experience on his journey to energy freedom. He has been a source of inspiration...not to me alone but many other silent readers on the thread.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 10:21pm On Jun 28, 2014
I ordered a 1000w tripp lite modified sine wave. I downgraded to the modified Sine wave after removing freezer from my load calculations. The tripp lite is also a 12V system and is to carry max load of 488W. I think it will reach Katsina before next week runs out.

For batteries, I'm still thinking of getting Trojan. From spec sheets, it seems they last longer than AGM batteries. However, the thought of fumes is a real turn off.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nastydamus(m): 10:08am On Jun 29, 2014
tundebabzy: I ordered a 1000w tripp lite modified sine wave. I downgraded to the modified Sine wave after removing freezer from my load calculations. The tripp lite is also a 12V system and is to carry max load of 488W. I think it will reach Katsina before next week runs out.
For batteries, I'm still thinking of getting Trojan. From spec sheets, it seems they last longer than AGM batteries. However, the thought of fumes is a real turn off.

Please which website did you place the order on?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 11:14am On Jun 29, 2014
tundebabzy:

People make it look like this batteries open with acid. No. They are completely seald. There are no such fumes as you think. It's all populated by people who do not use flooded battery. except you get very close to it when you are equalizing it you will never notice anything. I'm not saying this because I sale Trojan flooded batteries but it is the truth. You can keep it anyway as long as you have cross ventilation. mine stays in the corridor inside my apartment. Totalgreen's own stays in a lobby just by his bedroom door inside the house.

Even the gell batteries also has some level of emissions. These also need ventilation.

So don't be afraid if you want to pick up our Trojan flooded.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 12:39pm On Jun 29, 2014
nastydamus:

Please which website did you place the order on?
konga.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 12:44pm On Jun 29, 2014
richmon74:

People make it look like this batteries open with acid. No. They are completely seald. There are no such fumes as you think. It's all populated by people who do not use flooded battery. except you get very close to it when you are equalizing it you will never notice anything. I'm not saying this because I sale Trojan flooded batteries but it is the truth. You can keep it anyway as long as you have cross ventilation. mine stays in the corridor inside my apartment. Totalgreen's own stays in a lobby just by his bedroom door inside the house.

Even the gell batteries also has some level of emissions. These also need ventilation.

So don't be afraid if you want to pick up our Trojan flooded.

Cool. Am I right that floodeds last longer than AGMs?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 12:53pm On Jun 29, 2014
tundebabzy:

Cool. Am I right that floodeds last longer than AGMs?
I meant do floodeds have longer discharge time? We get power for an average of six hours daily so longer discharge time is desirable for me pending when I add solar panels to the setup.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 3:41pm On Jun 29, 2014
I am considering putting up my 3.5kVa Sukham for sale.
Interested buyers 08090658808 whats app available.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 4:09pm On Jun 29, 2014
May I ask why you want to sell it? and How much?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 4:25pm On Jun 29, 2014
c0ogumo: May I ask why you want to sell it? and How much?
Am selling for no any reason other than me thinking that my Trojans are being starved of charges. The Sukham is designed to charge maintenance free batteries only.
I can assure anyone out there that its devoid of any fault and It became operational early October last year. The heaviest load I have used it for is my 1hp pumping machine. It has been treated like a baby all d way.
BTW I have sent u a pm on ur BBM handle.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AYME: 5:20am On Jun 30, 2014
I NEED TS-M-2. TO MONITOR MY CHARGER CONTROLLER

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 5:26am On Jun 30, 2014
For the first time since I started using trojans, i decided to test how long it will last. I plugged in the following from 5pm yesterday and I plan to off them by 6am this morning.
1. A fridge and freezer.
2. 5 ceiling fans
3. 5 energy saving bulbs.
4. Tv and Dstv ( put off between 10pm and 4am).
The batts were discharged from 51v to 47.1v.
I intend to measure d batted soc by 6am by putting off all loads for few minutes and measure( best done after several hours ).
My sukham displayed 30% load all tru and d cooling fan was blowing all tru.
Note, what I am doing is not the best for trojan( if u want a very long years of service). I simply want to see how far it can go.
I pray make sun dey 2mrw because it will take up to 3 days of charging to return those charges due to my low PV power.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 5:49am On Jun 30, 2014

I am considering putting up my
3.5kVa Sukham for sale.
Interested buyers 08090658808 whats
app available.
Where do you go now? (product? )

are these batteries for bank?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 6:09am On Jun 30, 2014
abunafiu: For the first time since I started using trojans, i decided to test how long it will last. I plugged in the following from 5pm yesterday and I plan to off them by 6am this morning.
1. A fridge and freezer.
2. 5 ceiling fans
I intend to measure d batted soc by 6am by putting off all loads for few minutes and measure( best done after several hours ).
Note, what I am doing is not the best for trojan( if u want a very long years of service). I simply want to see how far it can go.
I pray make sun dey 2mrw because it will take up to 3 days of charging to return those charges due to my low PV power.
The time is 5:55am.
The batts discharged to 47.0v
Putting of the inverter now to see what's left as soc .....
As u can see from the pix, when I switched off, d batts went up from 47.0 to 47.6...............48.1v.
This is to further establish what Richmond posted few weeks ago about measuring batt soc.if not for d recent hacking of Nairaland that lead to huge data loss, d soc chart would still be there. @richmond74, kindly repost d pix.
As at d time I finished typing this post , its reading 48.2v which corresponds to 45-50% soc which also corresponds to 55 - 50% dod.
Am waiting for those using Trojans before me to vet my results posted.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 6:12am On Jun 30, 2014
JUO: Where do you go now? (product? )

are these batteries for bank?
I need to raise cash to add more panels. If I am ableto sell d sukham, I'll revert back to my 1.5 kva 24v inverters till I can afford a high end 48v inverter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 7:29am On Jun 30, 2014
abunafiu: For the first time since I started using trojans, i decided to test how long it will last. I plugged in the following from 5pm yesterday and I plan to off them by 6am this morning.
1. A fridge and freezer.
2. 5 ceiling fans
Nice one
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 8:12am On Jun 30, 2014
abunafiu:
The time is 5:55am.
The batts discharged to 47.0v
Putting of the inverter now to see what's left as soc .....
As u can see from the pix, when I switched off, d batts went up from 47.0 to 47.6...............48.1v.
This is to further establish what Richmond posted few weeks ago about measuring batt soc.if not for d recent hacking of Nairaland that lead to huge data loss, d soc chart would still be there. @richmond74, kindly repost d pix.
As at d time I finished typing this post , its reading 48.2v which corresponds to 45-50% soc which also corresponds to 55 - 50% dod.
Am waiting for those using Trojans before me to vet my results posted.
From your pix, I counted 16 batteries. What are the specs?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 8:46am On Jun 30, 2014
This is the chart

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:37am On Jun 30, 2014
tivta: This is the chart
thanks for bringing back d pix. as I wrote..d best way to read batt soc is to wait for several hours. in my own case I waited less than 5 min. in fact it later went to 48.3v.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 2:46pm On Jun 30, 2014
I just picked up the Tripp Lite inverter from UPS. Unboxing pictures coming up soon
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 3:14pm On Jun 30, 2014
I just picked up the Tripp Lite inverter from UPS. Unboxing pictures coming up soon
are you sure this is not 110v?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 3:47pm On Jun 30, 2014
JUO: are you sure this is not 110v?

No oooo. Haba, 110v. Where I wan tiff that kain money from na.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 4:55pm On Jun 30, 2014
Greetings to everyone in the house....hope y'al doing great
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 1:15am On Jul 01, 2014
HAPPY NEW YEAR AGAIN BROTHERS

George_D: richmon74,
abunafiu,
juo,
all,

looks like we got to start the year all over again.
fortunately for us, it may not be such a bad idea seeing all the acrimony that took place here of recent.
let's therefore seize this opportunity for a fresh start devoid of brickbats.

so guys, welcome to the new 2014 in june! as the holy book says, let him that stole steal no more. let him
that cursed, curse no more. in the same vein, also, let him that spammed, spam no more, for we be
brethren!

may the sun never set on all our endeavours. amen!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AYME: 11:57pm On Jul 01, 2014
Where can I get this TS-M-2 in Lagos?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 6:04am On Jul 02, 2014
Let me know if you can pick it up in Ibadan.
I have 2 TS-M-2

molley4real@hotmail.com
BB PIN: 79DD915D
whatsapp: 973-204-1296
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 8:12am On Jul 02, 2014
Not to alarm anybody but I think its best people take note of how dangerous it is to place flooded batteries indoors, in this case trojan. The gases are both harmful and explosive. freesunpower.com/batteries.php. Its best to keep it far away from the house to avoid eya stories. Just an advice.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 12:34pm On Jul 02, 2014
Trojan Tips 1 -Deep Cycle battery Technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0f4t1hn-Wo

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (1667) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Hero2t, kristien4(m), mahkanjuh, okikigsm, AllyPolly, Elkrypto(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.