Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:41 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (793) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2038969 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (790) (791) (792) (793) (794) (795) (796) ... (1675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:36pm On Jul 06, 2020
Namzy:

My parents use 5kva ipowerplus with Felicity solar 60amppt. They have panels conected to the mppt portion of the inverter plus the Felicity CC. That's setup should be 5 years this yr without any issue. That's why I went for the 3kva version and planning to connect some panels to its mppt since I already maxed out my fangpusun CC

lolz, there are different kinds of problems, the easiest is blue smoke and acrid smell, the one am talking about is energy loss.

imagine 1 cc is on bulk or float @ 13.6v...based on its charging algorithm or how the ignorant installer set it up, and the other cc is on absorb @ 14.6v.
even someone on this forum, said his 2 ccs same make and everything, he initially had issues, where 1 entered float b4 the other. similar thing happens to me presently, my inverter would be out putting and charging @ 57.6v , while the CC is outputting and charging @ 54v, this will reduce the energy the cc can push into the battery....

cos the cc may be pushing 500w, as soon as i turn off the inverter charging, the cc output will jump to say 1100w, so you can see the higher charging voltage of the inverter is making me loose energy..............

that scenario is likely what may be happening in your install...and you would not be aware
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 8:41pm On Jul 06, 2020
ceaser:

@bolded. By pushing to the limit, do you mean that you overrated the voltage going into the CC or the amp from the panels? If it's the amps, by what margin did you go?

Thanks. This is informative.

I was well within the Voc limit of the CC. It was the amps rating that I exceed.

I tried to use the Powmr CC to transfer energy from a 60V, 520AH Lithium battery to charge a 24V, 200AH Lithium battery expecting the CC to self limit the charging current to the rated 60A. It didn't. Due to the low internal resistance of both Lithium batteries, the charging current spiked beyond the ability of the CC and out comes the magic smoke. I didn't get to see how high the current went before the smoke but it was less than two minute after I started the process.

Mind you, I have always done same with Midnight Classic CCs.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:08pm On Jul 06, 2020
koladeolutola:

Yet to get the mail...
I need a basic set up in lieu of Lumos... To power TV, decoder, light and fan

I am considering 200ah 12v battery, 12v1kva inverter, 2(150w) panels , charge controller? ...saw your neighbourhood testimonies and needed recommendations
With your 200ah battery, you might wanna consider 4 pcs 150w panel or at worst 3 pcs for a basic install that is limited to TV, decoder, light and fan. But you also need to audit your current appliances to determine if they are energy saving ones that will make you to enjoy your set up more.

Are you planning to go the route of MPPT Charge controller, considering your future expansion aspiration with the inclusion of 140w chest freezer.

An MPPT will create the flexibility of adding more 150w panels since you plan to start with that. Also you may only be able to run your freezer during daytime as 200A may not provide sufficient backup for the freezer.

A 60A MPPT should be okay.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:14pm On Jul 06, 2020
earthrealm:

LOLZ, i tot i was the king of cheap simple functional installs, you sire is the undisputed king. 5 powmr/makeskyblue 60amps mppt is not upto the price of 1 Morning star 60amps mppt CC with all the bell & whistles grin grin

grin so now you see why I can afford to "waste the life" of a PowMr, though it serves well, to experiment.

If I try that with those top premium, I may incure the wrath of the Father for wasting something that's so expensive when there are people that are still struggling with PWM.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:14pm On Jul 06, 2020
dapsyra:

I was well within the Voc limit of the CC. It was the amps rating that I exceed.

I tried to use the Powmr CC to transfer energy from a 60V, 520AH Lithium battery to charge a 24V, 200AH Lithium battery expecting the CC to self limit the charging current to the rated 60A. It didn't. Due to the low internal resistance of both Lithium batteries, the charging current spiked beyond the ability of the CC and out comes the magic smoke. I didn't get to see how high the current went before the smoke but it was less than two minute after I started the process.

Will love to see this experiment repeated, but with a Makeskyblue. Who can donate to this noble cause?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:16pm On Jul 06, 2020
dapsyra:

@Bolded. Sincerely I can't argue grin. There are reason it's premium.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oluwolexy(m): 9:19pm On Jul 06, 2020
Kindly look at the inverter specifications and advice.

The Inverter is Pure Sine Wave Inverter which can be
connected to various loads such as inductive load (air conditioners,
refrigerator), motors (vacuum cleaners), and rectifier load (computer). Pure Sine Wave Inverter are designed to work with heavy load conditions.

Technical Specifications
DC Voltage 24V
DC Voltage range 20-30V
W/O Battery AC normal Working Normally
Max input Current 40A
I/P Voltage range 170-254V
I/P Frequency 50Hz/60Hz(Auto testing)
Generator yes
Output Voltage 220V
Output frequency 50Hz
Output capacity 2500W
Max surge protect 7500W
ECO mode <20W
Max efficiency >80%
Transfer Time 16+/-4ms
Power factor 0.7
Inductance load/Capacitance load yes
Resistance load yes
Current adjustable 10-70A
Voltage adjustable 26-30V
Charge mode 3 step-Bulk, Boost, Float
Charging Current 0.2xBattery capacity (for 100AH = 20A)
Display & Alarm LCD, LED & Buzzer
Working Temp 0°C-40°C
Cooling way Fan cooling
Working Humidity
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 10:05pm On Jul 06, 2020
anjilgreat:

Thank you sir. Great doing business with you. Will give you feedback when I receive the waybill.

Cc: @ kiekie1

Good evening Sir. I was able to take delivery of the panels and other accessories today. Thanks for the smooth transaction and ease of doing business with you.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:18pm On Jul 06, 2020
ceaser:

I'm very sure he doesn't imply connecting one panel array to drive two CCs simultaneously. That's one of the basic things one learns not to do on the journey. In fact the wiring of one array to 2 CCs will be one I can't wrap my head around.

I think he meant that the the ipowerplus and PowMr both have their independent array, but the panel array for the PowMr exceeded that allowable for the IpowerPlus but within the acceptable limit for the PowMr. The resultant error was only corrected when they were forced to reconfigure the PowMr array, sacrifice it and therefore underutilize the 150v voltage limit of the PowMr to allow for the 75v ipowerplus not to be confused.

Speaking of which I actually bumped into a YT video of a hybrid inverter with two different CCs installed inside it and the two CCs receive their input from two different arrays. The output AC of the inverter is split phase into 120v (in two places) so that if you are in regions with 100v to 120vac, you just connect to one phase but if you are in Nigeria for example you connect the two 120vac phases across to get your 240vac output voltage.

I'll see if I can retrieve the link.

Edited. I see you've responded. But how will the ipowerplus be misbehaving if the in-built MPPT is inactive? That doesn't really add up. I tjought the in-built MPPT being active with an external MPPT on one battery will be the same as having two different CCs charge one battery.

My brother it didn't add up when my friend explained the situation to me as well, all the mercury hybrid was doing in terms of charging was from AC as the CC in it wasn't active, but it threw error whenever they tried to raise the array within the powmr limit instead.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:41pm On Jul 06, 2020
litaninja:
Lol. Thanks.
- Haven't checked for the wake up time yet, still sorting out other stuff (new place).
- Also panels are directly facing west on a high tilt roof (not much I could do, na baba landlord get house, no be me grin), so the wake time might be later in the day...

Ah, 2 more panels ke? In series? Money never dey o.
Though, while testing, we got steady in the range of 180v - 200v. Plans in my mind are for another 6panels for a second string in parallel.

Since you are planning for 6 more panel to form a second string in parallel then no need for 2 more Panels in series. That voltage you got won't be steady through the day especially depending on your rate/state of charge but I see you are using a lead acid so I guess your charge rate would be .1C max?

GK gives daily hervest what does your figure look like today?

Nice enclosure by the way wink I suggest to keep an eye on it with regards to the inverter temperature.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:42pm On Jul 06, 2020
oluwolexy:

I need your suggestions on this inverter specifications(mercury inverter)

The Inverter is Pure Sine Wave Inverter which can be
connected to various loads such as inductive load (air conditioners,
refrigerator), motors (vacuum cleaners), and rectifier load (computer). Pure Sine Wave Inverter are designed to work with heavy load conditions.

Technical Specifications
DC Voltage 24V
DC Voltage range 20-30V
W/O Battery AC normal Working Normally
Max input Current 40A
I/P Voltage range 170-254V
I/P Frequency 50Hz/60Hz(Auto testing)
Generator yes
Output Voltage 220V
Output frequency 50Hz
Output capacity 2500W
Max surge protect 7500W
ECO mode <20W
Max efficiency >80%
Transfer Time 16+/-4ms
Power factor 0.7
Inductance load/Capacitance load yes
Resistance load yes
Current adjustable 10-70A
Voltage adjustable 26-30V
Charge mode 3 step-Bulk, Boost, Float
Charging Current 0.2xBattery capacity (for 100AH = 20A)
Display & Alarm LCD, LED & Buzzer
Working Temp 0°C-40°C
Cooling way Fan cooling
Working Humidity

I have not used this before, what would you like to know?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 10:45pm On Jul 06, 2020
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 11:31pm On Jul 06, 2020
Definitely going to keep an eye on the temp, hence the fans installed. The monitoring solution when ready would also be capable of adjusting the charging current of the battery based on the temperature.
Didn't check the yield today, i am not close by for now and no loads running yet.

ojeysky:

Since you are planning for 6 more panel to form a second string in parallel then no need for 2 more Panels in series. That voltage you got won't be steady through the day especially depending on your rate/state of charge but I see you are using a lead acid so I guess your charge rate would be .1C max?

GK gives daily hervest what does your figure look like today?

Nice enclosure by the way wink I suggest to keep an eye on it with regards to the inverter temperature.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 11:33pm On Jul 06, 2020
This cabinet size is in the range of 40k to 50k.
ceaser:

How much did the cabinet cost?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:06am On Jul 07, 2020
litaninja:
Definitely going to keep an eye on the temp, hence the fans installed. The monitoring solution when ready would also be capable of adjusting the charging current of the battery based on the temperature.
Didn't check the yield today, i am not close by for now and no loads running yet.

Cool looking forward to read your experience. Meanwhile did you ship the GK in or is there a local source now?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 12:30am On Jul 07, 2020
Shipped in as far back as last year.
ojeysky:

Cool looking forward to read your experience. Meanwhile did you ship the GK in or is there a local source now?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 3:26am On Jul 07, 2020
Penuelseun:
Bought one this week, no inbuilt charger but psw, rated 600w from a guy in Lagos. Very energy

How far the performance of this inverter. Can you give a review since you started using it please. Is it truly pure sine wave
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 4:30am On Jul 07, 2020
Good am house. Please will my 900vac luminous inverter "carry" this fridge? If yes, how long will a fully charged 200ah battery last on it with no other load attached. The fridge is 130 watts. I am thinking to use it with no other load to power the fridge during peak sun hours for 4 hours daily. Thanks.

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 4:35am On Jul 07, 2020
olaolu11:
Good am house. Please will my 900vac luminous inverter "carry" this fridge? If yes, how long will a fully charged 200ah battery last on it with no other load attached. The fridge is 130 watts. I am thinking to use it with no other load to power the fridge during peak sun hours for 4 hours daily. Thanks.

Correct me if I am wrong. With 1.2kW h consumption, battery will be drained in 2 hours.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 6:27am On Jul 07, 2020
olaolu11:

Its actually 1.2kwh over 24hrs. This makes its rating to be actually 500wh.

With a 200ah used on a 12v system that gives 2400wh. Depending on his DOD between 50%-100% he can do between 2-4hrs with the fridge. This is not taking into consideration the start up consumption not knowing if its an inverter freezer or not.

Taking safe use for a lead acid system, its not possible to achieve 4hrs. Though I suspect your inverter can conveniently carry it with no issues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 8:02am On Jul 07, 2020
spartacus11:

How far the performance of this inverter. Can you give a review since you started using it please. Is it truly pure sine wave
It has been awesome, the inverter is truly pure sine wave, it's self consumption is around 8 to 9 watts, it's cooling fan comes up occasionally but it doesn't warm up during use. I have loaded it up to around 200watts and the enclosure doesn't warm up. It has two displays, the one for output voltage is correct but the input voltage display has a mind of its own, as seen in the picture, my battery voltage is 12.5v but it is showing 12.2v. All my electronics now run way cooler and quieter. Truly psw inverters are the real deal. I have become a mini distributor because of my experience with it.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 8:02am On Jul 07, 2020
essegis:

Its actually 1.2kwh over 24hrs. This makes its rating to be actually 500wh.

With a 200ah used on a 12v system that gives 2400wh. Depending on his DOD between 50%-100% he can do between 2-4hrs with the fridge. This is not taking into consideration the start up consumption not knowing if its an inverter freezer or not.

Taking safe use for a lead acid system, its not possible to achieve 4hrs. Though I suspect your inverter can conveniently carry it with no issues.

OK. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bbally: 9:33am On Jul 07, 2020
please can anyone help with a review of ipower plus inverter 1kva (red colour) by zinox as regards usage, response to weather conditions like thunderstorms, power surge etc and the company warranty.

I have a bad experience with BTS hybrid 1.2kva inverter. there was a sharp power cut during a heavy thunderstorms and BTS inverter went dead as in completely DEAD while it was just charging battery and not connected to house supply and the company is been reluctant to change the board in inverter instead marketing another model to me.

both inverters are modified sine wave.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 9:52am On Jul 07, 2020
Penuelseun:
It has been awesome, the inverter is truly pure sine wave, it's self consumption is around 8 to 9 watts, it's cooling fan comes up occasionally but it doesn't warm up during use. I have loaded it up to around 200watts and the enclosure doesn't warm up. It has two displays, the one for output voltage is correct but the input voltage display has a mind of its own, as seen in the picture, my battery voltage is 12.5v but it is showing 12.2v. All my electronics now run way cooler and quieter. Truly psw inverters are the real deal. I have become a mini distributor because of my experience with it.

I believe the first meter is showing you current voltage while the second is battery voltage.

Nice feedback, please where can we get this inverter and how much is it?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojtech8291: 10:43am On Jul 07, 2020
ceaser:

Bhet why nau?

You know you shouldn't exceed that CC voltage. Abi you dey try experiment ni? grin
Somebody said it won't get to the maximum VOC.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 10:46am On Jul 07, 2020
2 units AVAILABLE

PowerMR mppt 60A solar charge controller.

Price: 45,000 (slightly negotiatable)
Mention me for instant purchase.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:46am On Jul 07, 2020
good morning house.. abeg does anyone know about this sorotec hybrid inverter. its has touchscreen display.

http://www.sorotecups.com/product-detail/on-grid-off-grid-hybrid-inverter/

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojtech8291: 10:51am On Jul 07, 2020
Good morning, house. How do I balance battery manually without the use of equalizer? Two of 12V200AH in series. One up and the other down because of the Battery rack. The one down is higher than the one up by 0.11V. That is the one down is 14.13V while the up is 14.02V. Thank you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 11:50am On Jul 07, 2020
Penuelseun:

Thanks a lot. I watch a video from Cepro where he used this same 600w inverter to power a 300 litre haier Thermocool freezer, with ur experience are you sure it can?

Are u using it with a 200Ah battery or 100Ah battery?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 12:01pm On Jul 07, 2020
I am afraid your bad experience is very likely due to poor or inadequate earthing/lightning protection at your location - it is best if you fix this first before purchasing a new inverter as even a premium inverter would fail if it took a lightning hit.

You stated that the inverter was charging the battery from the mains during a heavy thunderstorm - lightning as you know hits power transmission lines pretty often and this could easily be carried through the line to your house equipment.

A suitable earthing system and LPS coupled with an SPD to take the hit/heat away from your inverter and household equipment is the way to go.

bbally:
please can anyone help with a review of ipower plus inverter 1kva (red colour) by zinox as regards usage, response to weather conditions like thunderstorms, power surge etc and the company warranty.

I have a bad experience with BTS hybrid 1.2kva inverter. there was a sharp power cut during a heavy thunderstorms and BTS inverter went dead as in completely DEAD while it was just charging battery and not connected to house supply and the company is been reluctant to change the board in inverter instead marketing another model to me.

both inverters are modified sine wave.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (790) (791) (792) (793) (794) (795) (796) ... (1675) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Ayomipoe(m), durodee(m), Mrreed(m), cybaj09, QuoteJust1nce, EduTechTainMent and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.