Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (798) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2040632 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (795) (796) (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) ... (1677) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dataking: 2:24am On Jul 11, 2020
My Ogas,
I need to set up a small office and would like to use 2pcs of 12v 200Ah batteries.
Would you advise buying a 1500 24v APC UPS or simply buying an inverter.
I also would like to know reasons why.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 5:08am On Jul 11, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Ah boss! SPD is entirely useless and potentially even dangerous if there is no earth/ground to send the fault current to.

Putting a copper rod in the ground for protective earth is not an elaborate affair as such - anywhere in the compound from where you can run cable to your own flat/house is alright. We have used flower bed, just beside a ground floor window, just outside the compound beside a gutter, side of wall or fence.....

People just hammer the rod into the ground but this will only work with suitable soil - ideally you want to dig/auger a narrow hole like say 4 inches wide, put your copper rod in the center of the hole and backfill with suitable enhancement material - budget installs use industrial charcoal ground to a fine powder mixed with cement for a permanent earth. I would say 2 copper rods driven at least 16 feet apart is the minimum for safely channeling large surges from lightning e.t.c - if all you can do is one rod then it is better than nothing - just make sure it is the 8foot length type.

If all else fails, you can bond to a large metal body that is firmly connected to earth e.g the metal work frame that carries an overhead tank, car port or the water corporation metal pipe buried horizontally several meters length.

Half of my array is ground mounted sitting atop a large metallic frame embedded deep in the ground via 5 heavy duty concrete bases/legs - I did not bother to earth the frame the panels sit on as the entire assembly already has a firm connection to ground in Lekki saltwater soil.

We may have to pin this comment, there is often this misconception that an SPD can work without a good earth.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 5:23am On Jul 11, 2020
dataking:
My Ogas,
I need to set up a small office and would like to use 2pcs of 12v 200Ah batteries.
Would you advise buying a 1500 24v APC UPS or simply buying an inverter.
I also would like to know reasons why.
Thanks in advance.

Buy an inverter for these two reasons:

1) An inverter will have a charger big enough to produce the charging current that can charge big batteries (such as the 200ah) while a UPS is equiped with chargers to sufficiently charge smaller batteries such as 7ah or 28ah batteries.

2) An inverter is designed to run for longer periods, while UPS is made for shorter backup. Hence the two has different cooling system. But I've seen a dude here in nairaland that has modified the UPS (by adding cooling fans and external charger) to enable a UPS run for longer and charge bigger batteries.

You can checkout this UPS conversion process to inverter here on nairaland by checking out this link

https://www.nairaland.com/1389975/worlds-smallest-power-inverter/60#77800554

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dataking: 5:43am On Jul 11, 2020
mctfopt:

Buy an inverter for these two reasons:

1) An inverter will have a charger big enough to produce the charging current that can charge big batteries (such as the 200ah) while a UPS is equiped with chargers to sufficiently charge smaller batteries such as 7ah or 28ah batteries.

2) An inverter is designed to run for longer periods, while UPS is made for shorter backup. Hence the two has different cooling system. But I've seen a dude here in nairaland that has modified the UPS (by adding cooling fans and external charger) to enable a UPS run for longer and charge bigger batteries.

You can checkout this UPS conversion process to inverter here on nairaland by checking out this link

https://www.nairaland.com/1389975/worlds-smallest-power-inverter/60#77800554

Thanks Boss, I know about the smart charger but nice to hear of a cooling fan as well.
If those 2 are taken care of, do you see the APC UPS with a smart charger outperforming the Hybrid Inverters?

Also what about battery health and longevity. Will the UPS charge and utilize the batteries optimally and efficiently.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 5:47am On Jul 11, 2020
dataking:

Thanks Boss, I know about the smart charger but nice to hear of a cooling fan as well.
If those 2 are taken care of, do you see the APC UPS with a smart charger outperforming the Hybrid Inverters?

Also what about battery health and longevity. Will the UPS charge and utilize the batteries optimally and efficiently.

Thanks a lot.

Well, I personally don't see it outperforming an inverter with same capacity (charger size and cooling system). But you can only find out for sure when you get the two and put it to work.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 6:02am On Jul 11, 2020
dataking:

Thanks a lot.

I know most UPS have an efficiency of around 60-70%. If inverters have a higher efficiency then you may be better off going with that. If going on a very tight budget, go for a cheap chinese PWM inverter as some of them claim efficiency of up to 80%.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:36am On Jul 11, 2020
mctfopt:

That was my first thought too...some Nigerian company just love ripping off their customers for no reason at all.

Mstcheeew.

The product might have it's edge over the regulars though. But to unduly justify the price tag, dem go come dey hype it as if it's the next best thing after pounded yam.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:38am On Jul 11, 2020
generalstingz:
8S 24V LFP BMS for grabs

Hmmm. 40A charge current.

How much?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:43am On Jul 11, 2020
mctfopt:

Same here, after 300+ package with non missing, I'll say NIPOST is doing well. Let's hope it never gets to them carrying out the threat of striking.

Same here, positive disposition to them NIPOST. They've been effective for some years now. Even with local in-country logistics.

Did you know that can help you (logistics) to pack your entire properties - except your house or land sha - if you're moving between cities within Nigeria? I was impressed when someone said that they did that for him at reasonable price.

Although it seems I'll be having a lost/stolen item slugged out with 'em soon. They must dig it out.

My solar DC pump.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:48am On Jul 11, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

What you should do is charge the batteries to full individually in 2 or 3 charge, discharge, recharge cycles and then put them back together again in series. If pressed for time, you can slap one standalone charger on each battery, set the charger absorb voltage above normal inverter absorb voltage and allow the chargers to individually charge each battery to full charge. You are doing this simultaneously e.g two separate 12v chargers attached to a live 24v battery system and charging each battery in tandem with inverter charging. The chargers can share thesame AC power source as inverter but you must never cross the DC inputs!!!

This procedure is simple and safe but requires a thorough understanding of the physics of electron flow in a DC circuit, do not attempt if in any way you feel afraid or incompetent to see it through.

Omo, na wa o. See connection.

Bookmarked sha in case I'm in a position to try it out.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:19am On Jul 11, 2020
ceaser:

Same here, positive disposition to them NIPOST. They've been effective for some years now. Even with local in-country logistics.

Did you know that can help you (logistics) to pack your entire properties - except your house or land sha - if you're moving between cities within Nigeria? I was impressed when someone said that they did that for him at reasonable price.

Although it seems I'll be having a lost/stolen item slugged out with 'em soon. They must dig it out.

My solar DC pump.

May not be stolen. Could just be misplaced or left in one of their numerous store. This may usually happen when the address on it is not there or too torn to be read and location where it is heading identified. I'll recommend you send a mail to their customer care and see how it goes. Did your seller take a picture of the package before shipping? If yes, attach picture as evidence.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:21am On Jul 11, 2020
ceaser:

Mstcheeew.

The product might have it's edge over the regulars though. But to unduly justify the price tag, dem go come dey hype it as if it's the next best thing after pounded yam.

Lol. You may be surprised to find out there's no edge, just great packaging cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 10:34am On Jul 11, 2020
mctfopt:

May not be stolen. Could just be misplaced or left in one of their numerous store. This may usually happen when the address on it is not there or too torn to be read and location where it is heading identified. I'll recommend you send a mail to their customer care and see how it goes. Did your seller take a picture of the package before shipping? If yes, attach picture as evidence.

No pre-dispatch picture sent by seller.

If the address label was too defaced to be read, then I suppose it would also have affected the barcode scanner reading and by extension the dispatch to destination address

According to the tracking, it has reached destination address (the town in the address was written in the tracking as destination) since March. So I wonder where it's hiding.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:37am On Jul 11, 2020
ceaser:

No pre-dispatch picture sent by seller.

If the address label was too defaced to be read, then I suppose it would also have affected the barcode scanner reading and by extension the dispatch to destination address

According to the tracking, it has reached destination address (the town in the address was written in the tracking as destination) since March. So I wonder where it's hiding.

Start sending mails then, your local PO may not know much about the package.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bbally: 10:52am On Jul 11, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Ah boss! SPD is entirely useless and potentially even dangerous if there is no earth/ground to send the fault current to.

Putting a copper rod in the ground for protective earth is not an elaborate affair as such - anywhere in the compound from where you can run cable to your own flat/house is alright. We have used flower bed, just beside a ground floor window, just outside the compound beside a gutter, side of wall or fence.....

People just hammer the rod into the ground but this will only work with suitable soil - ideally you want to dig/auger a narrow hole like say 4 inches wide, put your copper rod in the center of the hole and backfill with suitable enhancement material - budget installs use industrial charcoal ground to a fine powder mixed with cement for a permanent earth. I would say 2 copper rods driven at least 16 feet apart is the minimum for safely channeling large surges from lightning e.t.c - if all you can do is one rod then it is better than nothing - just make sure it is the 8foot length type.

If all else fails, you can bond to a large metal body that is firmly connected to earth e.g the metal work frame that carries an overhead tank, car port or the water corporation metal pipe buried horizontally several meters length.

Half of my array is ground mounted sitting atop a large metallic frame embedded deep in the ground via 5 heavy duty concrete bases/legs - I did not bother to earth the frame the panels sit on as the entire assembly already has a firm connection to ground in Lekki saltwater soil.

oga niyi and others, God bless you all for the wonderful contributions. the your explanation sinks well and understood. where I stay, no flower area, water tank is on decking but I feel the gutter area is doable.
when I looked around, I saw this that I snapped and attached. this is earthing right? and doing the gutter area will strengthen it?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 11:02am On Jul 11, 2020
Ladies and genru men!! .... grin My replacement 30amps, victron clone, MPPT CC from fangpusun under warranty av reach lagos oh....

Na Monday i de expect am.

No too much stories before product was sent out at no extra cost. Chai! See as body de sweet me.

Now I am tempted to buy their inverter even though I am seeing cheaper ones on AE embarassed

Nothing beats good customer service!

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 11:06am On Jul 11, 2020
Trippledots:
Ladies and genru men!! .... grin My replacement 30amps, victron clone, MPPT CC from fangpusun under warranty av reach lagos oh....

Na Monday i de expect am.

No too much stories before product was sent out at no extra cost. Chai! See as body de sweet me.

Now I am tempted to buy their inverter even though I am seeing cheaper ones on AE embarassed

Nothing beats good customer service!

Fangpusun has A1 in customer service. They once replaced a charge controller after 18 months! I couldn't believe the offer. They shipped the 7kg CC free with DHL, and as luck will have it I paid no duty.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 11:13am On Jul 11, 2020
mctfopt:

Fangpusun has A1 in customer service. They once replaced a charge controller after 18 months! I couldn't believe the offer. They shipped the 7kg CC free with DHL, and as luck will have it I paid no duty.

Great
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by simydan(m): 11:37am On Jul 11, 2020
jmaine:
Thanks to the combined efforts of Simydan (Procurement) and Oshomo12 (Installation), I was able to have my modest setup of:
1050W Canadian Poly panels (3 X 350W) in series at 48K each from @okaniudemba
48V 1.5KW Hybrid inverter with an inbuilt MPPT charger of 60A from Alibaba. ( Low Frequency)
48V 50AH LifePO4 battery with a 7-year warranty from Alibaba.

Pic 1: is showing the neat setup by Oshomo, he pays attention to details, and if he tells you he will be in your place by 5 am, be damn sure he will be there a few mins to that. grin grin...

Pic 2: I did like to also give an empirical power consumption review of the FUSHIAI energy-saving fan I purchased from Simydan(Pic 2 attached). It's a decent 30W rated fan with 3 modes namely: Eco mode, natural wind, and Sleep mode, it can be powered via a US device and it's non-rechargeable.

Pic 3: Shows the power consumption of the device when in rotation and when still.

Disclaimer: I am not DIY savvy cheesy cheesy, but i have been an avid follower of this thread since the early days of George et al., long before the nairaland Tsunami of 2013... grin

@ jmaine

Thanks so much for your understanding, patience and trust...

@ oshomo... Well done for the professional install and craftsmanship, really looking forward to working with you soon sir

FUSHIAI Smart fan still available @ 40k per unit and discounts for orders above 2 units...
Trust me this fan rocks grin grin grin

FEATURES:
1. 7 blades and 12 speed
2. LED display with temperature display
3. Remote control function
4. 4. Wind settings: Normal, Eco, Natural and Sleep.
5. Wide AC voltage rang: 90V-240V
6. DC power option through USB 5V 2A
7. Low power consumption: 2W-30W
8. Vertical and Horizontal swing functions

Call for your order: 08134608560

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 12:33pm On Jul 11, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Good morning sir. I've been following your discussion on lightning protection system and I need your input on what I intend to ensure for my installer to do based on your advice here.

I wanted to install the two new solar panels I bought this week but I had to postpone it because of the rate of lighting and thunder in my location since there is an absence of 'thunder arrestor' on my roof.

All the appliances, including my inverter have been properly earthed and connected to the earthing rod.

Based on your advice, will it be okay to re-enforce the protection of the system because of the addition of the panels by :

- connecting the thunder arrestor to a new earthing rod close to the previously installed earthing rod.

- interconnect both earthing rod with a copper cable

- connect a copper cable to the frame of the solar panels and join to the old earthing rod.

Thanks in anticipation!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 3:04pm On Jul 11, 2020
150w, 260w and 320w MS solar panel now available @ Manuel Solar Energy Enterprises.

150w - #22,000
260w - #34,000
320w - #43,000.

Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 3:04pm On Jul 11, 2020
For the first time I have a need to charge my batteries via generator but for some strange reason my 3024GK is not accepting the input from generator.

It recognises the voltage and frequency by displaying the icon of current on the inverter screen but there is no charging icon and bypass icon. Has anyone experienced this on their inverter before?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 3:08pm On Jul 11, 2020
200w SMS floodlight available (very very bright), #32000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 3:10pm On Jul 11, 2020
210Ah 12v Dekka battery available, #210000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 3:13pm On Jul 11, 2020
200Ah 12v Quanta Amaron battery available, #150000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:02pm On Jul 11, 2020
mctfopt:

Start sending mails then, your local PO may not know much about the package.

Sorry. Send mail to who?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kadorzy(m): 5:41pm On Jul 11, 2020
ojeysky:
For the first time I have a need to charge my batteries via generator but for some strange reason my 3024GK is not accepting the input from generator.

It recognises the voltage and frequency by displaying the icon of current on the inverter screen but there is no charging icon and bypass icon. Has anyone experienced this on their inverter before?

Yes I have come across this this often.
What is the input frequency & voltage from the generator?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 5:54pm On Jul 11, 2020
ceaser:

Sorry. Send mail to who?

To the NIPOST customer care.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:26pm On Jul 11, 2020
kadorzy:

Yes I have come across this this often.
What is the input frequency & voltage from the generator?

I actually ensured the frequency of the generator was same with what I had set on the inverter still no luck

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Justin288: 8:03pm On Jul 11, 2020
ojeysky:

I actually ensured the frequency of the generator was same with what I had set on the inverter still no luck

Simply reduce your charging current to the lowest, it will charge. Then increase it till the inverter stops charging. That is the sweet spot.

My 5048MK will never charge at 60A, with my big generator.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:29pm On Jul 11, 2020
Justin288:

Simply reduce your charging current to the lowest, it will charge. Then increase it till the inverter stops charging. That is the sweet spot.

My brother so I thought o....I reduced to 10A(2A was the only one a didn't try) it still didn't move, even the bypass to supply current in line mode didn't happen. Though it recognise there was AC input

My 5048MK will never charge at 60A, with my big generator.

The quality of utility supply we get here has made charging beyond 30A via AC a dream for me. If not for my stabilizer that supports beyond my expectations, the 120v utility that I get would have been almost useless. I keep charging at 20A but occasionally 30A when am lucky to get 150v.

Will find time to further diagnose the Gen disagreement with my 3024GK

(1) (2) (3) ... (795) (796) (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) ... (1677) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: foonshur(m), OgogoroFreak(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.