Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,452 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (799) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2039327 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (796) (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) (802) ... (1676) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:53am On Jul 12, 2020
ojeysky:

My brother so I thought o....I reduced to 10A(2A was the only one a didn't try) it still didn't move, even the bypass to supply current in line mode didn't happen. Though it recognise there was AC input

The quality of utility supply we get here has made charging beyond 30A via AC a dream for me. If not for my stabilizer that supports beyond my expectations, the 120v utility that I get would have been almost useless. I keep charging at 20A but occasionally 30A when am lucky to get 150v.

Will find time to further diagnose the Gen disagreement with my 3024GK

Lucky to get 150v? shocked
Oh my! The PHCN wants to kill your equipment. These guys don't care about their customers. Dang!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:14am On Jul 12, 2020
mctfopt:

Lucky to get 150v? shocked
Oh my! The PHCN wants to kill your equipment. These guys don't care about their customers. Dang!

Yes o, here is sample of what I get from PHCN, usually I just stick to 10A charging on those days or even as low as 2A. Kudos to A&E dunamis their servo stabilizer is superb

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:18am On Jul 12, 2020
ojeysky:

Yes o, here is sample of what I get from PHCN, usually I just stick to 10A charging on those days or even as low as 2A. Kudos to A&E dunamis their servo stabilizer is superb

That's a beast of an AVR. How much did you acquire that 10kva? Those PHCN should just try, what is 86v? Do people in your neighborhood even use this?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 8:03am On Jul 12, 2020
@ojeysky, can you pls and pls and pls, stop using your setup with PHCN? Those voltages are evil, very very evil!
This is what i got in my area in Akure. It eventually destroyed my prepaid, my smart tv, affected my freezer, note, stab dey o. By the time i came to my senses, it has already cost me over 300k. I was very lucky though, this almost burnt down a building some 3 streets away about two years ago. Nepa now added insult upon injury, i was told to bring another 70k for prepaid meter, the one that got damage cost 50k, worked for about a year. Since then, i just stay clear of Nepa for good. They were even at my place yesterday asking me to rethink my decision after two years of NOT using them. It's me, my solar and gen, which i use once in a while around this period.

7 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:32am On Jul 12, 2020
Oshomo12:
@ojeysky, can you pls and pls and pls, stop using your setup with PHCN? Those voltages are evil, very very evil!
This is what i got in my area in Akure. It eventually destroyed my prepaid, my smart tv, affected my freezer, note, stab dey o. By the time i came to my senses, it has already cost me over 300k. I was very lucky though, this almost burnt down a building some 3 streets away about two years ago. Nepa now added insult upon injury, i was told to bring another 70k for prepaid meter, the one that got damage cost 50k, worked for about a year. Since then, i just stay clear of Nepa for good. They were even at my place yesterday asking me to rethink my decision after two years of NOT using them. It's me, my solar and gen, which i use once in a while around this period.

Wow it's strange though why low voltage caused this or was it a high voltage scenario?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:39am On Jul 12, 2020
mctfopt:

That's a beast of an AVR. How much did you acquire that 10kva? Those PHCN should just try, what is 86v? Do people in your neighborhood even use this?

I bought it 110k 2 years ago, as to my neighborhood I won't be surprised if they wonder how I always have bright bulbs wink
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 9:59am On Jul 12, 2020
This is low voltage for countries with 110V supply. cool
ojeysky:

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 10:05am On Jul 12, 2020
ojeysky:

86 volts ke?! Hehehehehe

I guess they just want you to charge torchlight with their supply and nothing more.

Last time I've seen something like this is like 5 years ago and it wasn't even as bad as 86v. More like 120v.

This is more reason I've not had to repair electronic appliances in a long time. Power supplies from RE sources are usually clean. Even a generator can go berserk and produce surges, but surges and outages are rare with inverters.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 10:08am On Jul 12, 2020
The issue with such low voltage is the stabilizer
Asume you're on 86v converted to 220v, that's 2.56 times conversion. If power suddenly changes to 220v your stabilizer will momentarily output 562V before it reacts to the change. That's is enough to damage some equipments. This happens in milliseconds but some equipments can only withstand such for few microseconds.

Low cost power strips with no self protection for their MOV will catch fire in such situations. Some electrical fires you know nothing about starts this way.

Please listen to oshiomo12 advice.

ojeysky:

Wow it's strange though why low voltage caused this or was it a high voltage scenario?

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 10:13am On Jul 12, 2020
mank1234:
Asume you're on 86v converted to 220v, that's 2.56 times conversion. If power suddenly changes to 220v your stabilizer will momentarily output 562V before it reacts to the change. That's is enough to damage some equipments. This happens in milliseconds but some equipments can only withstand such for few microseconds.

Low cost power strips with no self protection for their MOV will catch fire in such situations. Some electrical fires you know nothing about starts this way.

This makes sense o. And it's a scary scenario.

I guess if he has surge protectors (those 2k5 protectors) at every appliance point, the risk of fire in such circumstance will be highly mitigated. Those cheap things have saved me before on a number of occassions with generator surges. With voltage spikes, in place of the appliance, they break down but won't cause fire. You only buy a replacement.

@Ojeysky, that supply wey PHCN dey dash you for Ado na rubbish o. May we never see the vex of fire.

Even for BEDC to give prepaid to people there na wàhálà. Na to dey lie say na that BEDC woman instruct them not to distribute meters.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generalstingz(m): 10:46am On Jul 12, 2020
ceaser:

Hmmm. 40A charge current.

How much?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cooldipo(m): 10:57am On Jul 12, 2020
Trippledots:
Ladies and genru men!! .... grin My replacement 30amps, victron clone, MPPT CC from fangpusun under warranty av reach lagos oh....

Na Monday i de expect am.

No too much stories before product was sent out at no extra cost. Chai! See as body de sweet me.

Now I am tempted to buy their inverter even though I am seeing cheaper ones on AE embarassed

Nothing beats good customer service!

Hello Sir,

Let me buy and ship for you next time. Cheaper and reasonable delivery time guaranteed! You can chat me up people for quotations on your china purchase and deliveries!Thanks

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:05am On Jul 12, 2020
86v and 110v cheesy

I think you live in the US or Canada. You just don't know it yet.

Kudos to the A&E servo stab but you must derate your loads appropriately.

ojeysky:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 11:07am On Jul 12, 2020
cooldipo:

Hello Sir,

Let me buy and ship for you next time. Cheaper and reasonable delivery time guaranteed! You can chat me up people for quotations on your china purchase and deliveries!Thanks

No contact info sir!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:12am On Jul 12, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
86v and 110v cheesy

Kudos to the A&E servo stab but you must derate your loads appropriately.

Lol.....Certainly even if I don't the stab tells me, when it's at that voltage, it basically acts as a 3kva stab instead of 10kva.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:17am On Jul 12, 2020
mank1234:

Noted, the Servo does a very good job at managing occasional surges as indeed I have experienced situation where it gets to 200v occasionally. Nevertheless I will take necessary precautions now that I know... Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 11:20am On Jul 12, 2020
omotoda:

No contact info sir!!

080/6531/6307

That's his whatsapp number.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:21am On Jul 12, 2020
mank1234:
This is low voltage for countries with 110V supply. cool

NiyiOmoIyunade:
86v and 110v cheesy

No b Una fault o....na BEDC....fyi we still get huge post dated bills with this and they threaten to disconnect our lines if we don't pay. grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:24am On Jul 12, 2020
Still available for 38k 60A/100A 8s LFP BMS

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:27am On Jul 12, 2020
To my mind the correct science behind this damage is overcurrent on the conductors/wires.

A servo stab such as you have will always give a clean voltage output on the output side within a certain tolerance - the issue is that the current carrying capacity of the internal components of a 10kva servo stab is fixed around 45amps AC. Now say you have a 5000w load on the servo stab. When the input voltage is at 220v, the internals see about 26amps of current which is well within their rating .... if input voltage drops to 110v the current across the internals will be about 46amps. This is the peak rated capacity but things may still go well.

At 86 volts input, the internals of a 10kva servo stab rated for 45amps will now see 58amps current (about 30% over design capacity). This is why/when cables, breakers and relays start heating up, burning and fires start.

The PHCN meter MCB is rated about 32amps or 63amps I think depending on size. On the average people will use 10mm2 or 16mm2 cable of sometimes dubious quality to take power in and out - as voltage drops sharply from rated 220v to say 86v, the current rises sharply creating heat that the conductors may not be able to bear hence insulation melts and fires/burning starts.

Thus the cause of fires and burning is typically overcurrent on power conductors when actual voltage is far below rated. All power transmission and modulation equipment must be derated as voltage drops to avoid catastrophic failures.

At 86v, the output of a 10kva servo stab should not support more than 3.8kw of loads - certainly stay under 3kw if you want the stab to last.

For a relay stab, it is possible the switching does not happen fast enough so that downstream equipment see high voltages and this can cause instant failure. This distinctions are important so that we clearly understand the science behind what we see and experience.

ojeysky:

Oshomo12:

9 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 11:30am On Jul 12, 2020
ojeysky:

The problem was, once u keep getting this low voltage all the time, during this period, it's always not stable, for example, from 86v, it will jump to 120v back to around 90v, before u say what, it may go as high as 160v(d highest I ve ever noticed then). So ur stable is constantly switching(this stab are not designed to operate this way, Nigerias' case is a very strange "situation". I think what almost burnt the house down then was a high voltage at around 1:30 am, before then, they had a very low voltage, can't be more than a 100v.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 11:34am On Jul 12, 2020

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 11:39am On Jul 12, 2020
ojeysky:
Still available for 38k 60A/100A 8s LFP BMS

I wonder. Is it possible to parallel two or more BMSes with similar ratings on a battery pack in order to squeeze more juice into and out of the pack, keeping in mind the C rating of course.

Has anyone thought about this?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 11:45am On Jul 12, 2020
ojeysky:

I bought it 110k 2 years ago, as to my neighborhood I won't be surprised if they wonder how I always have bright bulbs wink

See my point, y invest so much on a useless service provider? For ur own scenario, u don't need to waste money on servo stab, just push that money in solar.
For my own case, before we could enjoy BEDC, each house will invest nothing less than 100k each, for services I will still get billed o! I dey cray ni?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 11:46am On Jul 12, 2020
ceaser:

080/6531/6307

That's his whatsapp number.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:46am On Jul 12, 2020
Sorry for responding late please - it appears I was banned for reasons unknown.

It is okay to use at least two rods bonded together. You can always add more later for better results.

High level analysis here - two rods driven into the goround are essentially two resistances in parallel so you can expect about a 40% reduction in overall resistance (very desirable to have resistance as low as possible) when you drive the second rod and another roughly 20% reduction in overall resistance when you drive the third rod. Clearly as you reach 4th and 5th rods driven in the ground there is little incremental benefit to be had.

I lay out this science so you can be guided and actually enjoy the benefits of multiple rods driven into earth - you plan to put the rods close together BUT this will not help at all and may even worsen things The rods must be spaced at least twice their length apart e.g an 8 foot rod driven into ground must be placed at least 16 feet from the next rod to be sure you are getting the benefits. Knowing my penchant for over engineering I go 24 feet spacing for each 8 foot rod I drive into ground

Apart from the above caveat, everything else you have planned is on point and should give you the planned benefits. I am glad you are taking time to plan out the install before execution. Most people just execute with poor preplan and then deal with the issues later.

anjilgreat:

Good morning sir. I've been following your discussion on lightning protection system and I need your input on what I intend to ensure for my installer to do based on your advice here.

I wanted to install the two new solar panels I bought this week but I had to postpone it because of the rate of lighting and thunder in my location since there is an absence of 'thunder arrestor' on my roof.

All the appliances, including my inverter have been properly earthed and connected to the earthing rod.

Based on your advice, will it be okay to re-enforce the protection of the system because of the addition of the panels by :

- connecting the thunder arrestor to a new earthing rod close to the previously installed earthing rod.

- interconnect both earthing rod with a copper cable

- connect a copper cable to the frame of the solar panels and join to the old earthing rod.

Thanks in anticipation!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:48am On Jul 12, 2020
All kwarrect boss!

You are properly calibrated!!!

ojeysky:

Lol.....Certainly even if I don't the stab tells me, when it's at that voltage, it basically acts as a 3kva stab instead of 10kva.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 11:51am On Jul 12, 2020
Oshomo12:

See my point, y invest so much on a useless service provider? For ur own scenario, u don't need to waste money on servo stab, just push that money in solar.
For my own case, before we could enjoy BEDC, each house will invest nothing less than 100k each, for services I will still get billed o! I dey cray ni?

I spoke with a woman who is to be allocated prepaid. Among several other financial requirements and inducements, she was told she'd need to get concrete pole, buy another wire to replace the ones hitherto used to get power into her home, then she would have to add more to her earlier payment as they realized she will be needing 3 phase meter as opposed to the one phase she paid for.

All the monies is already around 200k.

I just laughed. Me that I already requested for 3 prepaid, so na like 600k I go dey look for again on top.

Wàláhì, these people never see maga/customer cheesy. They are not serious.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:03pm On Jul 12, 2020
ceaser:

I wonder. Is it possible to parallel two or more BMSes with similar ratings on a battery pack in order to squeeze more juice into and out of the pack, keeping in mind the C rating of course.

Has anyone thought about this?

It's certainly possible to parallel battery packs of similar ratings (both in BMS and cell capacity)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:10pm On Jul 12, 2020
Oshomo12:

I actually lived off grid for almost a year and it was fun but also with consumption planning as I don't yet have a sufficient bank/solar array to completely stay off grid and 110k won't make that happen. Ultimately I may get to that point but na slow and steady. Make I no con auction 1 kidney grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 12:16pm On Jul 12, 2020
ceaser:

I spoke with a woman who is to be allocated prepaid. Among several other financial requirements and inducements, she was told she'd need to get concrete pole, buy another wire to replace the ones hitherto used to get power into her home, then she would have to add more to her earlier payment as they realized she will be needing 3 phase meter as opposed to the one phase she paid for.

All the monies is already around 200k.

I just laughed. Me that I already requested for 3 prepaid, so na like 600k I go dey look for again on top.

Wàláhì, these people never see maga/customer cheesy. They are not serious.

Imagine this nonese fa! On-top say U will still pay ur bill O. I don't know who packed the brains of their customers shocked
Bedc is very notorious when it comes to this. Now just imagine this, MTN/glo/Airtel/Etisalat telling U to buy land, fence it, buy all the equipments they need in other for U to be able to use their services, on-top that, U still pay them workmanship! At the end of the day, when U make call, they charge U 1naira/minutes, and people are happy doing it o! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 12:18pm On Jul 12, 2020
ojeysky:

It's certainly possible to parallel battery packs of similar ratings (both in BMS and cell capacity)

Not the way you mean it.

For instance, a 24v 200ah LFP with at least a C rating of 1 will still allow 200A charge-discharge BMS. But you only have 60/80 amps charge/discharge BMS installed.

If one isn't able to get a 200A BMS, can one get similar BMS and connect in parallel with the existing 60/80 Amps BMS to get a 120/160 amps charge/discharge rating on the battery pack?

Of course most times the emphasis will be on the "charge" amps because I don't expect to approach 120 amps discharge @ 24v on regular home appliances but I would love to have my battery bank full within 2 hours of the sun emerging.

And I believe this can be achieved. These LFPs are now the types co-opted to electric cars in recent times shifting from Li-ion 18/65/0s use. And these cars when recharging can reach 50% capacity within 15 minutes (fast charge phase) and then full 100% charge in 45 minutes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (796) (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) (802) ... (1676) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Trippledots(m), Bb007, eightsin(m), foonshur(m), Hero2t, Justin288 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.