Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,551 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:50 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (811) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (1991253 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (808) (809) (810) (811) (812) (813) (814) ... (1634) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alstacs(m): 11:07pm On Jul 31, 2020
essegis:

From your basic explanation I will say go for either A or B. First ask yourself a few questions. Which is sloped southwards with least slope angle. You know solar orientation changes all year/life round. So those shadows start, stop and orientation will change too.

I don't know if you own the house & can still make corrections but when I was building mine I visited site every time with a compass and sun monitoring. This prompted me to construct my carport sloped southwards & placed with the least shadow effects.

I don't believe the roof is the best place to mount panels in this country especially for us wey slope am up to 2 storey building heights. But if you got no option look for the one wey face south and fill if up first.

As for distance from CC, easily worked around with proper cable sizing. I hope the attached pictures will help.

Thank you very much for this.
All the locations are actually somewhat southwards but the car port is in the shadows of the main house till about noon when the sun is overhead and moves to the west. Car port will be installed next week and the slope can be determined with the least slope. however, that doesn't remove the shadows of the main house from it.
Unfortunately for me, the sun's orientation and shadow casting is being observed for the first time now just over the past month, so I don't know what it will be like as the year turns round.
One thing is certain, the BQ has no tall structures close to it and may be free of shadows all year round. I looked round other houses today in the area, and noticed their panels are all installed along that direction with varying slopes anyways.

Thank you for the charts on wire sizing, it's quite helpful. I will drill the installers to ensure we get the right things, in case they aren't aware.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alstacs(m): 11:27pm On Jul 31, 2020
essegis:

@alstacs, sorry network been no gree me add the pictures of my set up.

One thing you should know is if you are going with option A you should have a set up good enough to float your battery under 4hrs. Though that's the normal time lag used in these calculations. Put it in place and I'm sure you should be good.

See mine, 24 panels 300w each sloped southwards to the minutest angle the carport guys could afford. Attached to 2 different systems. The excess on the gen house is sloped facing northwards, not my plan but the original panels were too big (unknown to me) and na fight cos I refused them going on the house roof. Madam no gree the gen house oo.

This is a beautiful set up. I shall study the sun and the shadows for the next week or two. I don't have the luxury of space as my compound is quite tight. Looking at your set up, I may need locations both A and B eventually as my system grows.
I am presently installing a 3.5Kva, 48v inverter with only 4 units of 200mAH 12V batteries and only 8 units of 250W panels to start with.
I did enjoy about 18 hours supply but now dropped to 12 hours from NEPA. but e get some times when they just shut down for days. The frequency of such down times is increasing and that necessitated the inverter I never planned to have.
Lol at main houses roofs like 2 storey building na so oh... Quite steep! � �
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by crowbar(m): 1:44am On Aug 01, 2020
Good days Gurus in the house, i am planing on a solar project for my home, but being a newbie i am some what lost on what might be needed and an approximate financial estimate as i wont want to be stranded midway into the project. below is an approximate list of essentials electronics load.

1. 3 pcs television
2. 2 pc decoder
3. 2 laptop pc
4. 4 ceiling fans
5. 12 energy saving light bulbs (10watts each)

i will be very grateful if the Gurus in the house can help, thank and God Bless.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 2:09am On Aug 01, 2020
crowbar:
Good days Gurus in the house, i am planing on a solar project for my home, but being a newbie i am some what lost on what might be needed and an approximate financial estimate as i wont want to be stranded midway into the project. below is an approximate list of essentials electronics load.

1. 3 pcs television
2. 2 pc decoder
3. 2 laptop pc
4. 4 ceiling fans
5. 12 energy saving light bulbs (10watts each)

i will be very grateful if the Gurus in the house can help, thank and God Bless.
You have to state the individual energy ratings of your appliances
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ayinba1(f): 2:43am On Aug 01, 2020
Updated- Thanks to all responders to the post for an installer in Ibadan. We are all set.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 4:22am On Aug 01, 2020
korban3134:

I have some questions to make troubleshooting easier.

1) Did you buy the battery new? --YES ITS NEW

2) What is the total load (total device power) connected to the inverter?---200watts approximately

3) Do you have any idea the maximum charging current and voltage of the inverter? Do you know the cut off voltage of this inverter? That is the lowest voltage that it cuts off the battery?-- NO TO ALL

4) Do you usually run the inverter with NEPA or generator?- NEPA

If generator, do you have any idea the frequency produced by this generator?

If NEPA, do you experience low voltage a lot in your 'hood?-160V minimum... usually around 180-203V

Ok I remember your original post from here: https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta/780#91115856

In my opinion, I think 200w on a single 200ah battery is kinda high load considering the inverter inverter charging current may not be more than 11A.

Ok, you may need to borrow a clamp meter to check the charging current of the inverter.

But in the long run I think the battery may have sustained some damage due to poor charging and the heavy load. So I may encourage you to either lower the load or upgrade the inverter and battery numbers.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 4:40am On Aug 01, 2020
ceaser:

This is really nice. Even with junction box and MC4. Very neat and good aesthetics.

It's likely gonna be deadly expensive for now sha.

The future will definitely be an interesting one for RE
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 8:58am On Aug 01, 2020
mctfopt:

The future will definitely be an interesting one for RE

Each tile is rated 30 watts, the voltage isn't indicated though. But it'll be interesting to know if the efficiency at 30 watts is as good as that from flat panels currently in use widely.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by crowbar(m): 9:29am On Aug 01, 2020
Penuelseun:
You have to state the individual energy ratings of your appliances
thank you for your response, but like i said earlier, i am a novice in this area, pls how can i check the rating, is it on the labels of my appliances or do i need an equipment or test meter to do that?
thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:03am On Aug 01, 2020
ceaser:

Each tile is rated 30 watts, the voltage isn't indicated though. But it'll be interesting to know if the efficiency at 30 watts is as good as that from flat panels currently in use widely.

Looks cool. If everyone substitutes their roof to this, that will be something cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 11:06am On Aug 01, 2020
crowbar:

thank you for your response, but like i said earlier, i am a novice in this area, pls how can i check the rating, is it on the labels of my appliances or do i need an equipment or test meter to do that?
thanks

It is also written on the appliance, but those are not very specific and vary under different working conditions.

The best way to do it is by using a wattmeter (kill-a-watt meter as some would call it).

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by crowbar(m): 11:37am On Aug 01, 2020
ceaser:

It is also written on the appliance, but those are not very specific and vary under different working conditions.

The best way to do it is by using a wattmeter (kill-a-watt meter as some would call it).
ok Sir, will ask someone to come check now and report back, thanks a bunch.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:44am On Aug 01, 2020
HAPPY NEW MONTH!

Success shall be urs in all ur endeavors, may you be definition of God's grace, you shall enjoy favor everywhere you turn to, you shall experience peace, prosperity and visible progress,every step you talk dis month shall lead to unspeakable testimonies.
Happy new month dearest.

Smartcell Global Services cares ❤❤

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:48am On Aug 01, 2020
ayinba1:
Any installers in Ibadan, Oyo state? I am looking for quotation for a system to power 2 flats. Will provide additional details once I hear from any vendors
Ayinba@yahoo.com

I have Ado ekiti contact if convenient for you or simply contact @Solardepot . Cheer's

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:51pm On Aug 01, 2020
kiekie1:

I have Ado ekiti contact if convenient for you or simply contact @Solardepot . Cheer's

Ado-Ekiti is certainly a long distance from Ibadan, it's better to get installer in Lagos than in Ado. However @ayinba1 if you need an installer in Ado you can reach me. I have an electrician who I have worked with over time for solar set-ups; I talk the theory most times while he does the practical and now does set-ups independently.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:50pm On Aug 01, 2020
ojeysky:

Ado-Ekiti is certainly a long distance from Ibadan, it's better to get installer in Lagos than in Ado. However @ayinba1 if you need an installer in Ado you can reach me. I have an electrician who I have worked with over time for solar set-ups; I talk the theory most times while he does the practical and now does set-ups independently.

Yes am aware ! @Solardepot alternative says it all around that zones ... Cheer's
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:44pm On Aug 01, 2020
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead batteries from any state to Lagos(T&C applies) .

12v 200a ..... N14,000
12v 150a.......N10,5000
12v 100a.......N7,000
2v 500a.......N5,500

If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver .

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 5:54pm On Aug 01, 2020
90w solar street light available, #16,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461.

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 5:56pm On Aug 01, 2020
325w foresolar panel now, #45,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 5:59pm On Aug 01, 2020
60A Trojan power MPPT charge controller available, #70000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 6:01pm On Aug 01, 2020
218litres Bona deep freezer available, #190000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 6:03pm On Aug 01, 2020
200Ah 12v Unilite battery available, #85000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 6:05pm On Aug 01, 2020
220Ah 12v okaya tubular battery now available, #120000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 6:07pm On Aug 01, 2020
18inches Boscon standing fan now available, #25000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ayinba1(f): 6:15pm On Aug 01, 2020
The job is in Ibadan. Not sure what the distance is. I plan to buy some of the needed components that may need to be imported. So, if you and your electrician will take a job in Ibadan, add transport and lodging - email me so we can talk more.

ojeysky:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 8:51pm On Aug 01, 2020
Private hostel:

✓ 20 rooms self contained lighting point (approx 40 lighting points)
✓ Pumping machine 750hp (better it is run during daylight hours) - controlled by float switch and a timer so programmed.
✓ Charging points in the rooms (1 usb AC socket per room) giving around 5 watts x 20 rooms = 100 watts.

I'm yet to determine insolation and sun direction and also the distance from roof to potential site of inverter set up.

My proposal:

• 60 amp MPPT (1 unit)
• 10mm duo core
• 320 watts mono panel (12 units) to be in 3s3p
• Felicity 48volts 3kva pure sine hybrid with 60amp MPPT to take the remaining 3 units of panels.
• 48v 100amp Lithium battery

What d'you think sirs?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:08pm On Aug 01, 2020
ceaser:
Private hostel:

✓ 20 rooms self contained lighting point (approx 40 lighting points)
✓ Pumping machine 750hp (better it is run during daylight hours) - controlled by float switch and a timer so programmed.
✓ Charging points in the rooms (1 usb AC socket per room) giving around 5 watts x 20 rooms = 100 watts.

I'm yet to determine insolation and sun direction and also the distance from roof to potential site of inverter set up.

My proposal:

60 amp MPPT (1 unit)
• 10mm duo core
• 320 watts mono panel (12 units) to be in 3s3p
• Felicity 48volts 3kva pure sine hybrid with 60amp MPPT to take the remaining 3 units of panels.
• 48v 100amp Lithium battery

What d'you think sirs?

You did not indicate the wattage of the bulbs which will better inform on whether 4800WH will be sufficient backup.
That said I don't think there is need for the bold, get the felicity 48v 5kva instead and run 3s4p instead, if the 48v 3kva felicity can do 3s4p then that will be cheaper option.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:33pm On Aug 01, 2020
ojeysky:

You did not indicate the wattage of the bulbs which will better inform on whether 4800WH will be sufficient backup.
That said I don't think there is need for the bold, get the felicity 48v 5kva instead and run 3s4p instead, if the 48v 3kva felicity can do 3s4p then that will be cheaper option.

Thanks a lot

I think the LED bulbs will be better pegged at 5 watts per room + 5 watts per bath and toilet. That makes 10 watts per apartment and 200 watts total. If more economy is needed, the bathroom lights can be pegged at 3 watts which will give 8 watts per apartment and a total of 160 watts for the 20 apartments.

By the Felicity 48v 5kva, will it be bad if the 60 amp MPPT or it can still go as an extra addition? (I really won't like putting all the eggs in one basket of Felicity or one basket of another MPPT CC.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:02pm On Aug 01, 2020
ceaser:

Thanks a lot

I think the LED bulbs will be better pegged at 5 watts per room + 5 watts per bath and toilet. That makes 10 watts per apartment and 200 watts total. If more economy is needed, the bathroom lights can be pegged at 3 watts which will give 8 watts per apartment and a total of 160 watts for the 20 apartments.

On the assumption that all lights and charging ports are used (which is unlikely), 200w plus 100w from charging points makes 300w and about 4.2kwh (14hrs battery backup) which is still within your capacity. However I will suggest 48v 150AH and 200AH if you have large budget. wink

By the Felicity 48v 5kva, will it be bad if the 60 amp MPPT or it can still go as an extra addition? (I really won't like putting all the eggs in one basket of Felicity or one basket of another MPPT CC.

The reality is that if the felicity goes bad, the external MPPT is also useless as well as you will still need to get an inverter. So I don't see anything wrong with using the hybrid for the solar completely. Based on your load, I also think you should be fine with 9x320w considering that lights won't be on during the day, pushing things to 12 units is just to cater for days sun is not smiling.

My setup is 280x9 and I generate up to 8kwh or more daily (if needed) with same battery capacity as yours (though my nominal is 25.6v which is about 5kwh) and I think it should be same norminal with yours if it's Lifepo4. My load is way above yours during the day and my battery is 100% by most evening

In summary, if the 48v 3kva felicity can accommodate 12 units go for that, if it can't go for 9units but if there is funds and you want to do the 12unit then push things to 48v 5kva which I am certain can accommodate 12units comfortably.
Alternatively @Valto put a 3kva high Voc inverter for sale, if you can ensure no shading on the panels then go for that and put all the 9 units in series.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by luvlyoracle(m): 11:06pm On Aug 01, 2020
If you need an installer that can help in the east...Am available...08162776090
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 12:30am On Aug 02, 2020
ojeysky:

On the assumption that all lights and charging ports are used (which is unlikely), 200w plus 100w from charging points makes 300w and about 4.2kwh (14hrs battery backup) which is still within your capacity. However I will suggest 48v 150AH and 200AH if you have large budget. wink

The reality is that if the felicity goes bad, the external MPPT is also useless as well as you will still need to get an inverter. So I don't see anything wrong with using the hybrid for the solar completely. Based on your load, I also think you should be fine with 9x320w considering that lights won't be on during the day, pushing things to 12 units is just to cater for days sun is not smiling.

My setup is 280x9 and I generate up to 8kwh or more daily (if needed) with same battery capacity as yours (though my nominal is 25.6v which is about 5kwh) and I think it should be same norminal with yours if it's Lifepo4. My load is way above yours during the day and my battery is 100% by most evening

In summary, if the 48v 3kva felicity can accommodate 12 units go for that, if it can't go for 9units but if there is funds and you want to do the 12unit then push things to 48v 5kva which I am certain can accommodate 12units comfortably.
Alternatively @Valto put a 3kva high Voc inverter for sale, if you can ensure no shading on the panels then go for that and put all the 9 units in series.

Oshey, baba.

(1) (2) (3) ... (808) (809) (810) (811) (812) (813) (814) ... (1634) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: cooldudeng(m), jasp12(m), dorispray, bbally, TechGeek777, Puddin01 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.