Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (819) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2042182 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (816) (817) (818) (819) (820) (821) (822) ... (1678) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:14am On Aug 12, 2020
earthrealm:
ojeysky , mank

The change to Lipo4, may not work, as users budget was only four batteries, it was a battle to get him to agree to 8 batts.
2ndly, am not sure his inverter supports Lithuim charging.

The 6v 400ah thundervolts rated @20hr is part of my concern, cos when you change the rating to @10hrs as compared to the 12v 200ah quanta batt rating they may actually turn out to be 350ah

3rdly, the 4s2p connection of the quantas vs the 8s1p of the thundervolts, i prefer the single series connection of the thundervolts, just wondering how to connect HA02 balancers to them in 8s1p

Lastly, what is the likely avg price of the lithuims you mention?.are they readily available in country now?

Seems there has been an upgrade to the ha02, ha12, shows the actual battery voltages via a phone app!
Magnificient, the major challenge i had with ha02 was seeing what was going on/knowing if it was working or not

If he can agree to eight batteries of quanta price range then it should be easier to get get 350 to 450AH of lithium.....the charging aspect may then be the only stopper.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:16am On Aug 12, 2020
futurenix:
Yea, and as long as there are still lead acid with good performance, it's still going to be some users preferred choice. Someone I was introducing LFP to even gave me the popular quote " the devil u know is better than the angel you don't know". See my digits

Zero8one8onesix7one97nine.

s

Okay will ping you on whatsApp
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:34am On Aug 12, 2020
Anyone with LFP cells for sale should kindly contact me, minimum should be 100AH capacity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 11:24am On Aug 12, 2020
mctfopt:

12v 850VA transformer based inverter prices ranges from 50k and above.

The transformerless inverter, of same capacity, can be sold at a cost of between 12k to 45k.

Which of these is the better and more efficient?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 1:28pm On Aug 12, 2020
IYGEAL:

Which of these is the better and more efficient?

It depends on the make. Not the type that matters. But often the cheap TL type is often more inferior compared to type with transformer.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:49pm On Aug 12, 2020
BRAND NEW AXPERT INVERTER UP FOR QUICK SALE!

Axpert 5kva 48v (inbuilt 50a mppt) pure sinewave hybrid LCD inverter system .

Condition: Brand new , selling old stock without warranty. Datasheet available on request!

Price: 200,000

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 5:55pm On Aug 12, 2020
mctfopt:

It depends on the make. Not the type that matters. But often the cheap TL type is often more inferior compared to type with transformer.

I totally understand. I'm using a low budget 850VA, luminous, with 200AH Amaron Quanta. It's been serving but I decided to try TL and bought Suoer 2000VA. Suoer consumes significantly less energy but couldn't properly power up my small table top fridge. I found out about MSW and PSW lately, and that particular one is MSW.

So I'd be looking to try TL of about 1-2KVA that would have PSW AC output.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 6:03pm On Aug 12, 2020
Meanwhile, I have a dilemma I would appreciate honourable gurus in the house to help me clear.

I read here recently about solar panel connections. Now I charge my 12V 200AH Quanta with Epever 30amps mppt SCC which is being powered by 4 pieces of 150W mono panels. I connected these all in parallel. The dilemma now is whether I should instead connect them 2s2p as opposed to my current arrangement (4p). I was afraid going with 2s2p would produce 24v and apparently damage the battery.

I'm just an enthusiastic newbie smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:36pm On Aug 12, 2020
IYGEAL:
Meanwhile, I have a dilemma I would appreciate honourable gurus in the house to help me clear.

I read here recently about solar panel connections. Now I charge my 12V 200AH Quanta with Epever 30amps mppt SCC which is being powered by 4 pieces of 150W mono panels. I connected these all in parallel. The dilemma now is whether I should instead connect them 2s2p as opposed to my current arrangement (4p). I was afraid going with 2s2p would produce 24v and apparently damage the battery.

I'm just an enthusiastic newbie smiley

What you need to pay attention to is the Max voltage allowed by the CC that is what is important, the CC does the job of charging your battery at 12v even if the input to the CC is more than that.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:40pm On Aug 12, 2020
Someone posted a powmr MPPT for sale some time ago but can't seem to find that post, I need one please quote or reach out me if it's still available.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 8:10pm On Aug 12, 2020
ojeysky:

What you need to pay attention to is the Max voltage allowed by the CC that is what is important, the CC does the job of charging your battery at 12v even if the input to the CC is more than that.

Okay. Thank you very much.
Lastly, which of the arrangements would give the CC more current/power or otherwise to charge the battery?

Would it be to connect all the 4 pieces of 150W in series or two series and parallel?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:25pm On Aug 12, 2020
IYGEAL:

Okay. Thank you very much.
Lastly, which of the arrangements would give the CC more current/power or otherwise to charge the battery?

Would it be to connect all the 4 pieces of 150W in series or two series and parallel?

What's the specs of the CC and the ratings of the panel?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:33pm On Aug 12, 2020
ojeysky:
So I got 5units of these fushiai desktop and standing fans for my use, other DIY needs came up and want to sell 2units(one desktop and 1 standing) from them. Anyone interested should contact me. They are still brand-new 40k firm

[img]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL9gFXIJRak[/img]

Pictures of the fan attached. Like I said I have 1unit of the standing and desktop for sale.
I also have a few solar wireless bells as well (picture attached)
My qasa can now retire

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 10:33pm On Aug 12, 2020
ojeysky:

What's the specs of the CC and the ratings of the panel?

The only thing I know about the panels right now is that they are all 12V 150W. I am not sure about the current.

The CC is 30amps 12v/24v
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Leopantro: 10:40pm On Aug 12, 2020
ewizard1:

24V 45A Li-ion. Not selling.

How long does your 45A battery last?
What total watt load do you put on it?
Your inverter is 24V?
Why did you not use a BMS on it?
How do you know when it gets to the minimal cut out voltage?
What did you use to check ththe capacity of each Li-ion?
I believe that is a 6P18S setup?
Did you use spot welding or soldering?
How did you differentiate between good and bad batteries for them to have lasted 2 years?

I want to do a 3S10P powerwall for 12V 60A and I'm interested in how your stuff handles load

Forgive my many questions but recently I got my hands on this book. Following the instructions and being lucky to purchase a BMS I created a mobile portable inverter with the following characteristics

1. 12V 30Ah ( supposedly)
2. 2 USB hub for phone charging
3. 12V fan connected at the back for cooling
4. Connected 150 watt inverter also with a USB port for charging
5. Switch to turn on and off the fan and the unit
6. The USB hub has a voltage indicator to show remaining voltage.

The reason I said supposedly is because the cells I used were 4 years old so actual amperage is close to 12Ah now. Still it was my first prototype and I'm proud of it.
I'm trying to make another with better cells hence my questions. The picture of the portable inverter I made is below.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:41pm On Aug 12, 2020
IYGEAL:

The only thing I know about the panels right now is that they are all 12V 150W. I am not sure about the current.

The CC is 30amps 12v/24v

There should be specification sticker on the Panel and on the CC you can take the picture of that. However i think 2s2p should be fine but it will be good to see the spec do as to be certain.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 11:11pm On Aug 12, 2020
ojeysky:

There should be specification sticker on the Panel and on the CC you can take the picture of that. However i think 2s2p should be fine but it will be good to see the spec do as to be certain.

There are those stickers, but the panels are on the roof top now; not easily accessible.

The CC, it is 12v/24V 30amps. I just snapped the part with more info.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:12pm On Aug 12, 2020
IYGEAL:

There are those stickers, but the panels are on the roof top now; not easily accessible.

The CC, it is 12v/24V 30amps. I just snapped the part with more info.

Max PV voltage is 100v so you are very fine with 2s2p set-up

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by godspeed: 11:19pm On Aug 12, 2020
Trippledots:

With all due respect, I don't think you actually needed help with optimizing your 24v system rather you just wanted to get sympathetic cheer in going back to your 12v system. That in itself is not bad but let's not abuse free consultation that is done here.

I saw Oga Niyi and some seasoned RE enthusiasts here advice you about how to optimize your 24v systems, yet you kept repeating questions already answered....As soon as you got a comment nudging you to return to 12v, you nodded in unison...... I personally don't find such attitude wholesome for this type of platform.

If your mind is already made up as to a certain step, come out straight, let people know where you need help with your choice and get assistance on it. Don't make those sharing priceless knowledge for free look funny.

My 2cents.

cheers.
Anyway, like u said, this is a free consultation thread and it is for that reason I will not respond to u with the annoyance i have now.

U don't know the background to what I asked and you're scolding me like a kid.

From the advice Niyi gave, I'll need to invite the installer again to climb the roof and make adjustments but he lives far from where I am. I'm in the riverine area of ondo state, he's in Akure

Inviting him over again is another cost that is why I considered going back to the 12 v setup because I can still do that myself (I have done that anyway) without having to make adjustments to the panels up.

I was actually not well informed otherwise I wouldn't have gone for the 24 v inverter. In my novice mind, I tot a 24 v setup will mean more power generation.

If I had known, I would just hv bought more panels and not bothered to buy the 24v inverter.

ANd pls, I feel offended by insinuating I'm abusing the privilege of the thread.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:16am On Aug 13, 2020
earthrealm:

610w panels..chhoooi

See as they just jump 400 and 500 pass, move to 600 cheesy. These guys keep pushing the limit.

earthrealm:

Meanwhile, trying to advice a pal.
He is torn btw 8 units of 12v 200ah quanta amaron and 8 units 6v 400ah thundervolt agm battery.

The thundervolts are rated @ 20hr, while quanta is @ 10hr. So apparently quanta is better, its just the 2s2p vs 1s1p connection and the better battery we are a lil confused about.
Price wise thundervolt is a lil cheaper

Tell him to forget the two and buy you know what - Lithium. cheesy Those new fine gehs on the block.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:42am On Aug 13, 2020
ojeysky:

Do you mind elaborating on highlighted section? I remember in one of my previous posts I mentioned that there may be more run time on 48v systems and 24v system with same capacity and load, will be good to hear your experience.

What I implied to be missing is the need for less thick gauge wire from the panels with 24v compared to 12v; I actually had no trouble with warmth at the improvised bars unlike with the 12v system. And the wires are as cold as steel. Also the thought that I can add more panels compared to the 12v system and get more juice from the sun, watt for watt.

I haven't been able to conclude on the backup comparisons yet because the loads have been different. 12v 200ah LFP handles 110 watts nameplate 203L freezer (which has remained consistent at 115 watts measured) while the 24v 100ah LFP handles 115 watts nameplate 319L inverter freezer (which has always vacillated between 165 watts and 120 watts measured).

Although there was a time after a good sunny day that pushed enough juice into the battery. For once, the freezer coincidentally appeared to maintain 114 watts overnight and the battery was at 25.8v 6am the following morning.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:14am On Aug 13, 2020
IYGEAL:

I totally understand. I'm using a low budget 850VA, luminous, with 200AH Amaron Quanta. It's been serving but I decided to try TL and bought Suoer 2000VA. Suoer consumes significantly less energy but couldn't properly power up my small table top fridge. I found out about MSW and PSW lately, and that particular one is MSW.

So I'd be looking to try TL of about 1-2KVA that would have PSW AC output.

@ bolded. Expectedly.

The transformer types are work mules when it comes to long periods of peak power handling but the transformerless handle peaks for just two to three seconds. But the transformer has higher idle consumption.

Please do not use that MSW inverter for your fridge going forward.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:26am On Aug 13, 2020
ojeysky:
Someone posted a powmr MPPT for sale some time ago but can't seem to find that post, I need one please quote or reach out me if it's still available.

Why don't you just shop for it on AE?

I got two units about three weeks ago 29k apiece but used DHL option. Got to me in 12 days; no customs charges. Shipping was I think 11k with DHL option compared to 5k with the regular shipping which is complete wack at the moment, thanks to COVID.

You may have DHL issues with your location though. Seller says some DHL- designated remote locations will require extra 45 USD charge aside the 11k shipping charge. One thing I also didn't know then was that you can negotiate DHL shipping fee with the seller which is something I'll never forget to do henceforth.

Abeg if you go do am that way, you fit hep me find 14s Li-on 18/65/0 30amp BMS hide for inside? cheesy. I ordered one last week but with regular shipping. And the way regular logistics from China is going, it may not arrive this year.

ojeysky:

Pictures of the fan attached. Like I said I have 1unit of the standing and desktop for sale.
I also have a few solar wireless bells as well (picture attached)
My qasa can now retire

Are the table fan and standing fan of the same blade diameter? Please feedback on the fair consumption that may make it desirable over other brands.

Meanwhile, got a 12v orbit fan installed a week ago, costs 12k. Three speed and works fine so far. Strictly connected to 12v DC for now, I intend to connect an external AC power pack to measure the consumption later as the inverter freezer is monopolizing the wattmeter at the moment. The nameplate says 12 watts though.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:45am On Aug 13, 2020
ceaser:

I got two units about three weeks ago 29k apiece but used DHL option. Got to me in 12 days; no customs charges. Shipping was I think 11k with DHL option compared to 5k with the regular shipping which is complete wack at the moment, thanks to COVID.

You may have DHL issues with your location though. Seller says some DHL- designated remote locations will require extra 45 USD charge aside the 11k shipping charge. One thing I also didn't know then was that you can negotiate DHL shipping fee with the seller which is something I'll never forget to do henceforth.

Abeg if you go do am that way, you fit hep me find 14s Li-on 18/65/0 30amp BMS hide for inside? cheesy. I ordered one last week but with regular shipping. And the way regular logistics from China is going, it may not arrive this year.

Are the table fan and standing fan of the same blade diameter? Please feedback on the fair consumption that may make it desirable over other brands.

Meanwhile, got a 12v orbit fan installed a week ago, costs 12k. Three speed and works fine so far. Strictly connected to 12v DC for now, I intend to connect an external AC power pack to measure the consumption later as the inverter freezer is monopolizing the wattmeter at the moment. The nameplate says 12 watts though.

Lol at the fake and genuine "war" between Makeskyblue and PowMr. Funny, my friend has been using the "fake" Makeskyblue for three years. I have one for seven years now and counting. That's some good fake grin

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:13am On Aug 13, 2020
ceaser:

Yeah the uncertainty of customs charges with DHL was my concern. I may have to go that route eventually.

Lol okay, I have ANT BMS on ground for sale if you are interested, though that is 320A

The standing is 12inch, the desktop I think it's 9inch but they both have 12 speeds and at the highest speed it's 30w on name plate (was about 28 on my inverter AC readings will check with my wattmeter). It also has room temperature

Will be good to know how well it performs at the highest speed.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 8:51am On Aug 13, 2020
ceaser:

@ bolded. Expectedly.

The transformer types are work mules when it comes to long periods of peak power handling but the transformerless handle peaks for just two to three seconds. But the transformer has higher idle consumption.

Please do not use that MSW inverter for your fridge going forward.

Thank you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 8:54am On Aug 13, 2020
ojeysky:

Max PV voltage is 100v so you are very fine with 2s2p set-up

Thank you.

Although I'm still curious if that would mean reducing the total wattage to 300W and then less charging current. Or will the Wattage and charging current remain the same irrespective of the arrangement, with 24v advantage over 12v?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by limpopo: 9:12am On Aug 13, 2020
morning bosses in the house..
Abeg me sef want join this solar geng ooo..
My calculated watts is 900watts for at least 10 hours everyday..
I need the list of materials to buy (solar panels, inverter, charger, battery)..

I don calculate Taya.

cc..

earthrealm
ojeysky
kiekie1
sathob
GeorgeD1

and other great professionals in the house
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 9:32am On Aug 13, 2020
limpopo:
I need the list of materials to buy (solar panels, inverter, charger, battery)..

I don calculate Taya.

cc..

earthrealm
ojeysky
kiekie1
sathob
GeorgeD1

900w for 10hrs daily? shocked That is massive consumption.

First of all, I hope your bank account balance is in six zeros?

That said, let's wait for the gurus to come and start dishing out the figures.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigbauer(m): 10:18am On Aug 13, 2020
Good morning house, please does anyone have a solar/DC powered surface water pump (1HP) and how much? cc GeorgeD1
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:23am On Aug 13, 2020
IYGEAL:

Thank you.

Although I'm still curious if that would mean reducing the total wattage to 300W and then less charging current. Or will the Wattage and charging current remain the same irrespective of the arrangement, with 24v advantage over 12v?

You have a single 12v battery so the CC will charge based on 12v peak even though you have 600w total so yes it's a disadvantage. When you have 2 batteries you can have them in series to make 24v to take full advantage of the CC charge current and maximize your panel hervest
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:36am On Aug 13, 2020
limpopo:

I don calculate Taya.

cc..

earthrealm
ojeysky
kiekie1
sathob
GeorgeD1

@eleojo23 has said it will, before you go on this project you first need to be sure that you have at least a six digit budget. However there may be a cheaper option if you are only targeting 10hrs max

If we factor in 0.8 inverter efficiency that's at least 10.8Kwh of power storage that will be required assuming the 10hours is from backup and that will require 400AH of 24v Lifepo4. However if we can factor in 5 to 6hrs of sunlight then you can comfortably reduce your battery capacity by half. The following should be sufficient

- 270w panel 9 units
- 200AH Lifepo4 or 400AH lead acid
- 3kva hybrid inverter
- connection accessories

With a a little above a million you should be all set-up.

Disclaimer: These are rough estimates

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (816) (817) (818) (819) (820) (821) (822) ... (1678) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Obnoxious2001(m), jonescosmos, cybaj09 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.