Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (936) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2038676 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (933) (934) (935) (936) (937) (938) (939) ... (1674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 5:20pm On Jan 25, 2021
DeathToBEGGARS:
i have been looking for it for close to 30mins and cant find it

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:34pm On Jan 25, 2021
ojeysky:

Max Charge current is 190A have not checked what the AC max is(though I won't need that much hence I didn't bother). Manufacturer claimed 50w consumption but will see what it will be in reality.

Not yet,.still work in progress grin

Just wondering what size of gen will power the Deye, at 195amps and 50volts.
Thats already 10kw already.
I believe this charging current is adjustable. Have you tried powering it on gen, or if on grid checked the wattage its consuming while charging

funshyboi:
Good morning guys
I have been using this lead battery (car battery)for a while now but no matter how long I charge it, it doesn’t get to 100% it floats btw 96-100 percent during the day but at nights it drops to 80%. Is there any explanations for this ?

Ojesky willmaria kiekie1 adrusa NiyiomoIyunade mctfopt will really appreciate your contributions

This has been said several times here, use a digital meter to check the battery voltage, that percentage issh is not accrate as inverter manufacturer s use theoritical values.

A fully charged battery connected to inverter may read 13.7v, but drop to 13.1v within 5mins of power outage and no load.. thus dropping from 100% to 90% or so

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:58pm On Jan 25, 2021
earthrealm:

Just wondering what size of gen will power the Deye, at 195amps and 50volts.
Thats already 10kw already.
I believe this charging current is adjustable. Have you tried powering it on gen, or if on grid checked the wattage its consuming while charging

Bro that stuff is something else o, you can actually set max power for the inverter to take from either grid or gen up to 8kw and as low as 1w and ofcourse there is also the option on whether to charge with gen source and at what time periods..., max charge I am doing at the moment is 50A and it's generally via solar. I wonder when I will get to charge at 195A 48v grin

Edit:

Attached is image sample. Taking 400w from my epileptic grid power source while rest of the 1kw house load is from solar. Fantastic features on this thing

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:11pm On Jan 25, 2021
ojeysky:

Bro that stuff is something else o, you can actually set max power for the inverter to take from either grid or gen up to 8k and as low as 1kw and ofcourse there is also the option on whether to charge with gen source and at what time periods..., max charge I am doing at the moment is 50A and it's generally via solar. I wonder when I will get to charge at 195A 48v grin

Deye na baba!
So help me confirm at 2kw setting.. how many amps is being sent to battery bank.
Likewise at max 8kw.

You may need to do this on a day your bank is half full, or turn on all ya big loads
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:45pm On Jan 25, 2021
earthrealm:

Deye na baba!
So help me confirm at 2kw setting.. how many amps is being sent to battery bank.
Likewise at max 8kw.

You may need to do this on a day your bank is half full, or turn on all ya big loads

Are you referring to charging with gen at 2kw and 8kw? I certainly don't have means to test that due to my gen capacity. You can reach out on WhatsApp so I don't bore people too much on this new toy of mine

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 12:54am On Jan 26, 2021
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Please see screenshot below - my first post on this matter, I stopped playing with the calculator when it was proposing a 12v inverter and CC for loads over 2kw.

I went and put in some test values again - the calculator is recommending 24v nominal battery bank and 2,500w inverter for a household that runs average 3000w and peak 5000w.

See how many charge controllers in 24v config the calculator has proposed? (like 17 to 23 units implied) See the PV array size proposed? (out of scope for most folks)

I happen to have similar load as input but properly sized as 48v nominal. I am doing just 4units of Victron Charge controller and 20Kw of PV Panels. My PV is grossly oversized for my day time needs and I run more than 5kw sustained at times.

You will need clearer parameters and more variables and certainly more work on the sizing algorithm to make this calculator into a truly professional sizing tool.

High level assumptions behind my test inputs.

8am to 4pm - 3000w load
4pm to 2am - 3000w load
2am to 8am - 1650w load

Your points have been noted.
To take info in perspective, here's the logic behind the numbers and amendment I'm proposing:
The design was for total Off-grid (including rainy season).

1) PANEL: Power reaslisable from panel was assumed to be 2x because of rainy season (4x is optimum in Nigeria, that is 4kWp a day from 1kw panel).
Solution: I'll update to 3x the average.
Panel was taken to be Bill divide by 30 divide by above ratio.

2) INVERTER: use expected surge to determine inverter required. So if total load has starting power of W (for less than 2 seconds) , I assumed the load will settle at below W/2. Since most inverter are rated at 2x surge power, an inverter with W/2 capacity will do. Apparently, your equipments are inverter type and as such logic does not work.
My logic also was to select 12V if inverter is less than 1.5kW, 24V if less than 3.5kW
Solution: change inverter power to W so it takes care of types of appliances (including yours)

3) BATTERY: Use night consumption to calculate battery required. My logic was to cover for 3 nights if charging by sun is not feasible.
Solution: keep as it is.

Thanks for taking out time to evaluate it. If my proposed solutions above is okay let me know so I can edit it for the benefit of all.
Thanks once again.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:09am On Jan 26, 2021
mank1234:

To take info in perspective, here's the logic behind the numbers and amendment I'm proposing:

1) PANEL: Power reaslisable from panel was assumed to be 2x because of rainy season (4x is optimum in Nigeria, that is 4kWp a day from 1kw panel).

Guess you meant kWh, and yes 3x is more realistic expectations round the year.

3) BATTERY: Use night consumption to calculate battery required. My logic was to cover for 3 nights if charging by sun is not feasible.

Am not sure about this logic, it's better to allow option for people to select number of backup hours desired

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 7:42am On Jan 26, 2021
ojeysky:

Guess you meant kWh, and yes 3x is more realistic expectations round the year.

Am not sure about this logic, it's better to allow option for people to select number of backup hours desired

Yeah kWhr. Your opinion makes lot of sense. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilmaria14: 8:51am On Jan 26, 2021
30ah femicare charger now available limited number pls ur order what's app

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:01am On Jan 26, 2021
First off, many thanks for being open minded about this.

My first suggestion would be to allow users to input a few more variables so that you can capture the fine nuances of an installation.

E.g If I run what you call night time loads from 4pm to 8am and consume total energy of 16kwh, it does not mean I used 1kw per hour - most household loads are stepped and not linear e.g 2kw between 4pm and 8pm, 1kw between 8pm and 11pm and about 560watts from 11pm to 8am. This non linearity means you cannot average but rather collect peak load, peak run hours at minimum to size your inverter.

In my test example I assumed 3kw running and 5kw surge loads but averaging made the tool recommend a 2.5kw inverter. In fact the surge loads do not run for a few seconds as implied but rather on average 15 to 30 minutes e.g iron and microwave and heater usage.

While we are talking about inverters, not all can tolerate a 2x surge - especially the indian origin inverters so you may want to allow user to select inverter surge capability and peak running loads e.g a 2.8kw/3.5kva indian inverter may not actually tolerate running 2.8kw sustained.

I would use a 12v inverter for loads under 500w, 24v up to 1.5kw and 48v for any sustained loads above 2kw - there is a very good reason to do this but the basis is also not linear - it revolves around the proper battery sizes required to run those loads vs. the available charging amps a typical inverter in those sizes can put out as well as efficient use of CC capacity if charging off Solar.

Solar sizing, I agree with Ojeysky that 3x yield is more realistic - using monthly PHCN KwHr consumption may be misleading as your average household does not run off mains 24/7 and therefore the monthly household consumption in KwHr may not be readily available to read off the PHCN meter.

I like to look at solar sizing in two parts - the PV required to run day time loads + the PV required to replenish spent battery - when you add up [total KwHr of daytime loads + total KwHr of energy used from battery] and gross up for charge efficiency and energy conversion losses you can apply the 3x multiple [divide by 3] to size your solar array - if in doubt load up more PV.

For battery sizing, 3 days autonomy may work for Lead acid but unaffordable for Lithium - I am using 35kwhr to 40kwhr every night time from my 48kwhr Pylon tech bank and I get by just fine because I have enough PV to replenish spent battery at least 340 out of 366 days of a year.

These are just some ideas I have - surely you will need to add more parameters in the tool to fully capture all the nuances - largely we are on thesame page as per the general idea, perhaps some fine tuning required to make it work for all reasonable real life scenarios.

mank1234:

2) INVERTER: use expected surge to determine inverter required. So if total load has starting power of W (for less than 2 seconds) , I assumed the load will settle at below W/2. Since most inverter are rated at 2x surge power, an inverter with W/2 capacity will do. Apparently, your equipments are inverter type and as such logic does not work.
My logic also was to select 12V if inverter is less than 1.5kW, 24V if less than 3.5kW
Solution: change inverter power to W so it takes care of types of appliances (including yours)

Thanks for taking out time to evaluate it. If my proposed solutions above is okay let me know so I can edit it for the benefit of all.
Thanks once again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 3:19pm On Jan 26, 2021
Thanks so much. I'm booking this. It will surely be implemented by weekend when I'll be off duty.

NiyiOmoIyunade:
First off, many thanks for being open minded about this.

My first suggestion would be to allow users to input a few more variables so that you can capture the fine nuances of an installation.

E.g If I run what you call night time loads from 4pm to 8am and consume total energy of 16kwh, it does not mean I used 1kw per hour - most household loads are stepped and not linear e.g 2kw between 4pm and 8pm, 1kw between 8pm and 11pm and about 560watts from 11pm to 8am. This non linearity means you cannot average but rather collect peak load, peak run hours at minimum to size your inverter.

In my test example I assumed 3kw running and 5kw surge loads but averaging made the tool recommend a 2.5kw inverter. In fact the surge loads do not run for a few seconds as implied but rather on average 15 to 30 minutes e.g iron and microwave and heater usage.

While we are talking about inverters, not all can tolerate a 2x surge - especially the indian origin inverters so you may want to allow user to select inverter surge capability and peak running loads e.g a 2.8kw/3.5kva indian inverter may not actually tolerate running 2.8kw sustained.

I would use a 12v inverter for loads under 500w, 24v up to 1.5kw and 48v for any sustained loads above 2kw - there is a very good reason to do this but the basis is also not linear - it revolves around the proper battery sizes required to run those loads vs. the available charging amps a typical inverter in those sizes can put out as well as efficient use of CC capacity if charging off Solar.

Solar sizing, I agree with Ojeysky that 3x yield is more realistic - using monthly PHCN KwHr consumption may be misleading as your average household does not run off mains 24/7 and therefore the monthly household consumption in KwHr may not be readily available to read off the PHCN meter.

I like to look at solar sizing in two parts - the PV required to run day time loads + the PV required to replenish spent battery - when you add up [total KwHr of daytime loads + total KwHr of energy used from battery] and gross up for charge efficiency and energy conversion losses you can apply the 3x multiple [divide by 3] to size your solar array - if in doubt load up more PV.

For battery sizing, 3 days autonomy may work for Lead acid but unaffordable for Lithium - I am using 35kwhr to 40kwhr every night time from my 48kwhr Pylon tech bank and I get by just fine because I have enough PV to replenish spent battery at least 340 out of 366 days of a year.

These are just some ideas I have - surely you will need to add more parameters in the tool to fully capture all the nuances - largely we are on thesame page as per the general idea, perhaps some fine tuning required to make it work for all reasonable real life scenarios.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:57pm On Jan 26, 2021
Available 12.8v/100ah lithium battery
Series connection:Yes
Parallel connection: Yes
Maximum charge voltage: 14.8v
Maximum charge current: 50A
Maximum discharge current: 50A
Low voltage disconnect: 10v
Cycles: 4000 @80% DOD
080-987-337-09

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 11:22pm On Jan 26, 2021
wilmaria14:
30ah femicare charger now available limited number pls ur order what's app

Sorry to shit on your hustle, but this famicare is not a good charger. I bought one that is currently gathering dust. I don't know why it is labelled a "30ah" charge, but it rarely get pass the 10A marks over my 24v setup when I tried to use it.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 11:56pm On Jan 26, 2021
adrusa:

Sorry to shit on your hustle, but this famicare is not a good charger. I bought one that is currently gathering dust. I don't know why it is labelled a "30ah" charge, but it rarely get pass the 10A marks over my 24v setup when I tried to use it.
I like to ask this boss,
How many ah is each of your battery?
And was it drained when you started charging it with the famicare?
And again was your Inverter also charging the batteries at the same time?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by luvlyoracle(m): 1:10am On Jan 27, 2021
Vintech10kva servo microcontroller stabilizer for sale.. Neatly used..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:40am On Jan 27, 2021
olopan:
No, it is a 2s2p configuration

2s2p configuration panel for 48v system? How feasible is that? Or are the panels 500 watts each?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:53am On Jan 27, 2021
wilmaria14:
For does dat was asking of DC fridge we have now 206L 100w AC/DC all u need is ur 300w panel and your 150ah battery and u are good to go going for a good price just dm me 09013128166

@bolded

For it to run for 3hrs bah?

Bros I feel you should come out specific on what the 150ah battery will do instead of blanket claims that does little to help especially newbies to make informed decision.

You don dey here long enough to know say guys always want the koko.

Don't do like Felicity Lithium vendors that hid true capacity from sellers until some good spirited forumites had to stake their money to test it for the sake of majority of us here.

11 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:44am On Jan 27, 2021
Can anyone recommend a good portable solar generator between 200 to 500w. It must have littium as it's backup battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 7:15am On Jan 27, 2021
ojeysky:
Can anyone recommend a good portable solar generator between 200 to 500w. It must have littium as it's backup battery.

Type Ceepro solar on Google and visit the website. One guy runs the site and has assorted solar gen of those range of capacities.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:29am On Jan 27, 2021
IYGEAL:

Type Ceepro solar on Google and visit the website. One guy runs the site and has assorted solar gen of those range of capacities.

Checked doesn't have the solar options
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 8:07am On Jan 27, 2021
ojeysky:

Checked doesn't have the solar options

I think he can make it available on request. Not sure though.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 8:36am On Jan 27, 2021
It is very feasible, I noticed 2s or 3s both works just fine

It's not just about maximizing the upper input voltage range of a charge controller but working within the MPPT range of the charge controller

No, they are not 500W panels

That's what the engineering dictates for the installation.

I guess you have a contrary opinion?
ceaser:

2s2p configuration panel for 48v system? How feasible is that? Or are the panels 500 watts each?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 10:20am On Jan 27, 2021
unicmarket:

I like to ask this boss,
How many ah is each of your battery?
And was it drained when you started charging it with the famicare?
And again was your Inverter also charging the batteries at the same time?

The idea was to supplement my inverter charger, a 2kva mercury inverter that maxed out at 20A or so. But, I realized that the inverter I was trying to supplement was in fact giving more output than this charger. The bottom line is that it is not a very effective charger, anyone buying it shouldn't expect any miracle. The "30ah" label is completely meaningless unless it means that it can only charge 30AH battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 1:42pm On Jan 27, 2021
8 panels of 330w each.
Cc pwm 60A
200amp × 4 = 24v
Inverter hybrid mercury 24v, 2kva

Pls how should connect the above
Pls pls pls.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 4:33pm On Jan 27, 2021
Modified

I believe you know the terminologies

For the solar
Do 2 series and 4 parralel, with 16mm flexible cable

For battery
Do. 2 series and 2 parallel

Ensure that you use alternating terminals for charging - PWM and other for Load- Inverter.

dollarnaira:
8 panels of 330w each.
Cc pwm 60A
200amp × 4 = 24v

Pls pls pls.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 4:44pm On Jan 27, 2021
3.2v/105ah lithium cells
Battery only
Price 25k/1pc
Minimum order 4pcs
080-987-337-09

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 4:58pm On Jan 27, 2021
olopan:

For the solar

For battery
Do. 2 series and 4 parallel

Ensure that you use alternating terminals for charging - PWM and other for Load- Inverter.

Thanks a lot
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 6:11pm On Jan 27, 2021
olopan:

For the solar

For battery

Quick question, will the introduction of a busbar make this system more balanced and efficient?
Scenerio being a split in panels to 2pv array if 2s2p each, one connected to the own charger controller, and the second connected to the hybrid inverter to achieve more PV gains since CC is pwm on both external and hybrid (spec sheet should clarify).

Secondly, creating 2 banks of 2s1p and connecting to the busbar.

Lastly, all connections terminatiing on the busbar, drawing feed from the busbar too.

As stated above will this create a more balanced and efficient system, or there will be too much power loss.

I await responses
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 7:16pm On Jan 27, 2021
https://rvnerds.com/2017/08/07/electrical-myths-part-3-mixing-batteries-different-agescapacities/#:~:text=Mixing%20Batteries%20in%20Series&text=In%20a%20pair%20of%206V,lower%20capacity%20will%20fall%20faster.

Electrical Myths, Part 3: Mixing Batteries of Different Ages/Capacities.

Something I had always wondered about since I always have reasons to combine batteries; one of 4 batteries die, bought new batteries to increase capacity etc. One thing I have always observed is that batteries in a bank take current according to their needs.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 7:16pm On Jan 27, 2021
dollarnaira:
8 panels of 330w each.
Cc pwm 60A
200amp × 4 = 24v

Pls pls pls.

1. What is your CC Max volt?
2. As your CC is PWM most CC in this cat volt 50v, better MPPT
3. The hybrid inverter did not come with CC? if yes then it is not hybrid

You need to retouch the soup to make it sweet

for d battery 4pcs, 200amps to 24v 400amp. first series 2pcs then do same to other 2 pcs to have 2 sets. then parallel +pos of set 1 to + of set 2 do same to -neg then take ur inverter 24v +pos and -neg. inugo
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:21pm On Jan 27, 2021
I want to clarify that for battery connections, all DC utilities must connect to the same battery terminals. All charging sources (grid, gen and solar) and all loads must connect to thesame terminals.

One may use a busbar to allow multiple DC utilities connect to the same battery terminal.

olopan:

.... For battery

(1) (2) (3) ... (933) (934) (935) (936) (937) (938) (939) ... (1674) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: dellabella(m), hancock(m), Jfh9011, Buchika, QuoteJust1nce and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.