Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,916 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (944) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2030903 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (941) (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) ... (1666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 12:55pm On Feb 11, 2021
ojeysky:

I guess valto has said it all. Your home socket is AC voltage and current while the iron expects DC voltage/current. That plug is rated for 13A yet it's likely your iron will require more than a 13A DC current. In short if you love that iron no try ham o, the smoke will shock you cheesy

Lol! I wouldn't have tried it o!

I was thinking that there may be a DC equivalent of the plug. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 1:35pm On Feb 11, 2021
quest4s:
Thanks Sir, your advise inspired me to ask a battery charger to read the batteries with his meter if they were still good and they are.
Am using them as we speak and they are working efficiently. i just changed the wires with poor cable logging and will replace my charge controller soon.
thanks once again i appreciate.

I am glad you have made an headway. Weldone sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 1:38pm On Feb 11, 2021
anjilgreat:
Please how do I use this DC iron without connecting it directly on my inverter battery?

Hello ma,

Please, what is the power rating of this iron? And how much did you buy it?

Also, kindly let us know how you eventually make use of it.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 1:52pm On Feb 11, 2021
odimbannamdi:

Hello ma,

Please, what is the power rating of this iron? And how much did you buy it?

Also, kindly let us know how you eventually make use of it.

Thanks

Hi, it is 150W 12V and I got it from Justcallmenuel. He sells it for #8,000.

No problem, I'll give a feedback when put to use.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 6:19pm On Feb 11, 2021
ojeysky:

That's normal behaviour of lithium it has a fairly stable charge/discharge curve between 90 and 20% capacity.

Does this mean that from 26.4v is about 90%? The load throughout was less than 100W and when it reaches 25.5 or so, it takes a few minutes and it's tripped off.

What I can suggest is that when the BMS trips and stop charging disconnect charging source and then try to do a capacity test to see how much juice you get out of your battery. If it's at least 90AH then you have no balance issue. The cells were just full

How is this done? Any external tools needed?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 6:21pm On Feb 11, 2021
anjilgreat:

Lol! I wouldn't have tried it o!

I was thinking that there may be a DC equivalent of the plug. Thanks
Was hoping for NiyiOmoIyunade to come to the rescue but ... here I go: purely resistive loads like yours typically aren't concerned with whether the power source is AC or DC. They do care a lot about the voltage as the power consumption is consumed as a function of the resistance at that voltage, resistance presumed constant. The heating element might not withstand the heat generated at higher voltages and the risk of fire is immense at a voltage 20 times higher - the heat generated is proportionally greater. You'd be holding a furnace!

Just thought I'd chip that in, in case you're tempted to try some science.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:33pm On Feb 11, 2021
IYGEAL:

Does this mean that from 26.4v is about 90%? The load throughout was less than 100W and when it reaches 25.5 or so, it takes a few minutes and it's tripped off.

How is this done? Any external tools needed?

Assuming the cell voltage is balanced 26.4 at no load should be about 80% SOC. For it to trip off at 25.5v then it means one of the cells got low which is an indication of unbalanced cells

You need something similar to victron BMV to get actual capacity. There is a cheaper one that was shared in previous thread. However you can estimate, charge to full then put load of known consumption, don't change the load until the battery goes off, the duration it took can give you a very rough idea of the capacity.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 6:40pm On Feb 11, 2021
anjilgreat:

Hi, it is 150W 12V and I got it from Justcallmenuel. He sells it for #8,000.

No problem, I'll give a feedback when put to use.

Thanks ma

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 7:26pm On Feb 11, 2021
Saipro:

Was hoping for NiyiOmoIyunade to come to the rescue but ... here I go: purely resistive loads like yours typically aren't concerned with whether the power source is AC or DC. They do care a lot about the voltage as the power consumption is consumed is a function of the resistance at that voltage, resistance presumed constant. The heating element might not withstand the heat generated at higher voltages and the risk of fire is immense at a voltage 20 times higher - the heat generated is proportionally greater. You'd be holding a furnace!

Just thought I'd chip that in, in case you're tempted to try some science.

Wow!, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm grateful.

I will go by your advice by connecting the plug I posted earlier to the DC iron then look for a 12V 220V adapter with at least 20A to be used on the normal socket for ironing. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 7:42pm On Feb 11, 2021
ojeysky:

Assuming the cell voltage is balanced 26.4 at no load should be about 80% SOC. For it to trip off at 25.5v then it means one of the cells got low which is an indication of unbalanced cells

You need something similar to victron BMV to get actual capacity. There is a cheaper one that was shared in previous thread. However you can estimate, charge to full then put load of known consumption, don't change the load until the battery goes off, the duration it took can give you a very rough idea of the capacity.

Okay. I'd try. I am running a load of 65 Watts now and the battery is 26.3v (it returned to 26.4v after all the charging).

I'd record when it trips off on this load.

I think I'd be better off returning the bank if it continues misbehaving.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:11pm On Feb 11, 2021
anjilgreat:

Wow!, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm grateful.

I will go by your advice by connecting the plug I posted earlier to the DC iron then look for a 12V 220V adapter with at least 20A to be used on the normal socket for ironing. Thanks
the price of a 20A 12V adapter if readily available will be more costly than the pressing iron itself. it's best to use it directly with your 12V battery.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 5:18am On Feb 12, 2021
IYGEAL:

Okay. I'd try. I am running a load of 65 Watts now and the battery is 26.3v (it returned to 26.4v after all the charging).

That's going to take a long time, find a day to put at least 200w constant load so the test can be concluded in a few hours. Remember your battery needs to be full before you proceed, 26.4 does not necessarily mean full. It needs to get to a point when it stopped receiving charge it is after that you should start the test.

Fwiw its not that the stuff is misbehaving, at least you've not confirmed that yet.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:34am On Feb 12, 2021
IYGEAL:

if you can return the bank, i would advice you to do do sharp sharp...

if not, i would advice a 2 pronged approach.. open up the casings and bring up out lifepo4 cell..connect all of them in parallel and charge to 3.6v using the apprioprate charger, then afterwards...you do the individual load test. but i think the battery in question is a small bank, so not worth the stress---and i doubt you have an apprioprate load tester and charger as well...
lifepo4 is quite a sensitive bitch..lol, for those with drop ins, i would advice that you try not to allow it run down and shut down...thats what causes and worsens the imbalance among the cells and eventual drop in capacity
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 7:36am On Feb 12, 2021
Valto:
the price of a 20A 12V adapter if readily available will be more costly than the pressing iron itself. it's best to use it directly with your 12V battery.

Okay, I'll do as you have advised. Thanks for your assistance.

Cc: odimbannamdi
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 8:58am On Feb 12, 2021
ojeysky:

That's going to take a long time, find a day to put at least 200w constant load so the test can be concluded in a few hours. Remember your battery needs to be full before you proceed, 26.4 does not necessarily mean full. It needs to get to a point when it stopped receiving charge it is after that you should start the test.

Fwiw its not that the stuff is misbehaving, at least you've not confirmed that yet.

It did take a long time. I had to switch the system off after about 6 hours, and it was around 26.1v.

26.4v seems to be its resting voltage as it returns there after charging back and forth between 26.4 and 26.9v; never reached 27v.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 9:01am On Feb 12, 2021
earthrealm:

if you can return the bank, i would advice you to do do sharp sharp...

if not, i would advice a 2 pronged approach.. open up the casings and bring up out lifepo4 cell..connect all of them in parallel and charge to 3.6v using the apprioprate charger, then afterwards...you do the individual load test. but i think the battery in question is a small bank, so not worth the stress---and i doubt you have an apprioprate load tester and charger as well.
lifepo4 is quite a sensitive bitch..lol, for those with drop ins, i would advice that you try not to allow it run down and shut down...thats what causes and worsens the imbalance among the cells and eventual drop in capacity

Yea, I don't have those.

It's a small bank of 8 x 3.2v 100AH.

The bad thing is, I relocated my original set up, especially, I rearranged the pv array. So putting off the bank now means I'd stay off power for the time being.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:30am On Feb 12, 2021
IYGEAL:

Yea, I don't have those.

It's a small bank of 8 x 3.2v 100AH.

The bad thing is, I relocated my original set up, especially, I rearranged the pv array. So putting off the bank now means I'd stay off power for the time being.

are the cells enclosed in a box?..naija diy made bank abi?. what cells are inside..send pics if possible. with what i know now about lifepo4 battery, i would not do any of the following

1. buy naija made drop ins, unless its dirt cheap
2. buy used naija cells without waranty/refund option
3. buy china drop ins as well without robust waranty/refunds unless its dirt cheap...circa goes for the popular felicity

if you cant buy and build your lifepo4 bank yourself, or buy from a tested and trusted person, no need delving seriously into lifepo4 to avoid loosing your money.

the felicity drop ins remains the easiest option for people that dont want stress/lack the skills to build their banks. it should serve ok..if they dont routine use it till internal bms shuts it down
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 10:09am On Feb 12, 2021
earthrealm:

are the cells enclosed in a box?..naija diy made bank abi?. what cells are inside..send pics if possible.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 10:22am On Feb 12, 2021
[quote author=IYGEAL post=98988337][/quote]

i see......
naija made diy bank.

lifepo4 cells need slight compression to keep the inshape and not to loose capacity, that flimsy duct tape there is incapable of that.

did seller say they are new cells?, how much did you buy them. are the QR codes still visible?

whats the make of the cells?.
from the pic, seems he placed them sideways, would hv loved to see the top/terminals.
whats the size /type of bms in there?

edit: those look like qr codes, 2 gold, 2 gray, could you scan them with your fone, lets see, if we can get more info
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 10:58am On Feb 12, 2021
earthrealm:

i see......
naija made diy bank.

lifepo4 cells need slight compression to keep the inshape and not to loose capacity, that flimsy duct tape there is incapable of that.

did seller say they are new cells?, how much did you buy them. are the QR codes still visible?

from the pic, seems he placed them sideways, would hv loved to see the top/terminals.

edit: those look like qr codes, 2 gold, 2 gray, could you scan them with your fone, lets see, if we can get more info

I'd take better pictures and scan the QR codes later tonight.

Is the capacity of the BMS written on it?
I got the entire arrangement at upwards of 300k.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 11:26am On Feb 12, 2021
earthrealm:

i see......
naija made diy bank.

One reason why I have dropped the idea of LIFEPO4 for now.I don't want to have headaches after spending so much.Yes,Felicity but their capacity is technically 150ah.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 11:28am On Feb 12, 2021
ojeysky:

@ojesky, you mentioned something about sunfit panels sometime back .I know you said it was over performing.Is the experience still same?Someone trying to go the route of their panels and battery. Told him battery,he is on his own!.Panel I can help him find out
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:38am On Feb 12, 2021
IYGEAL:

I'd take better pictures and scan the QR codes later tonight.

Is the capacity of the BMS written on it?
I got the entire arrangement at upwards of 300k.

bms data is sometimes written on it. new eve 3.2v 100ah cell will land at about 50usd to u in nigeria, shipping inclusive...after 3 months..lol. so assume 200k for the cells, then some elcheapo bms and casing...say 60k...40k profit, thus 300k not thatbad...if the cells are brand of a decent make, if however they are used cells, wch i suspect...then a big question mark don enter.

i suspect you have some cells in the mix, that are misbehaving, if not abused, such could be managed by top balancing.

the key is in identifying them with a load tester designed for lifepo4 batt, which you dont have.

at this stage, i dont think anything would be achieved by further trouble shooting, if seller is open to returns...send it back...i believe he should have the tools to identify the bad cells, swap them out..and send back your bank.

i hope you know that your bank isnt that big, total energy is 24 volts by 100ah, about 2400 watts, only
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 12:07pm On Feb 12, 2021
earthrealm:

bms data is sometimes written on it. new eve 3.2v 100ah cell will land at about 50usd to u in nigeria, shipping inclusive...after 3 months..lol. so assume 200k for the cells, then some elcheapo bms and casing...say 60k...40k profit, thus 300k not thatbad...if the cells are brand of a decent make, if however they are used cells, wch i suspect...then a big question mark don enter.

i suspect you have some cells in the mix, that are misbehaving, if not abused, such could be managed by top balancing.

the key is in identifying them with a load tester designed for lifepo4 batt, which you dont have.

at this stage, i dont think anything would be achieved by further trouble shooting, if seller is open to returns...send it back...i believe he should have the tools to identify the bad cells, swap them out..and send back your bank.

i hope you know that your bank isnt that big, total energy is 24 volts by 100ah, about 2400 watts, only

Yea, I'm not a big power consumer yet cheesy

The DIYer is someone I'd like to say is a good man and quite friendly. I'd table the matter to him, I just need to gather enough info on the cells and the actual problem.

His casing might be expensive, I guess. Fibre glass, arranged in a cute looking shape. He also used bolts, nuts and some metal plate to cover/hold the cells before the final enclosure.

I just returned and took some more photos. See the cells too. The QR codes scanned but only showed same figures on the phone as are written on the cells.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 12:09pm On Feb 12, 2021
This

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 12:10pm On Feb 12, 2021
I think the cells might not be new ones

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 12:10pm On Feb 12, 2021
The bank

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:14pm On Feb 12, 2021
omotoda:

@ojesky, you mentioned something about sunfut panels sometime back .Inknow you said it in as over performing.Is the experience still same?Someone trying to go the route of their panels and battery's. Told him battery,he is on his own!.Panel I can help him find out

I use both sunfit and prime and both of them do a very good job. Though prime does a better job than sunfit. I use to see other sunfit products but am sorry I don't have their performance experience
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 1:18pm On Feb 12, 2021
IYGEAL:
I think the cells might not be new ones

Ok, dont look new, but all the same lifepo4 has 2500 as min cycle life, this is about 5yrs, even if discharged daily, so a good used lifepo4 is as good as new.

The seller tried, within his abilities/naija standard kudos..
Its just for him to take the bank apart, locate the bad cells and topbalance and recouple This may take 2 to 7 days dep3nding on his equipment.

What is the make of the cells?
Eve, calb, Catl.....

Or if its not too long you bought it, if he is a good man as you say, he can send you another bank, as soon as you send back the current unit.

I hope he has top balance equipment, and doesnt simply slap cells together to build a bank
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 2:01pm On Feb 12, 2021
earthrealm:

Ok, dont look new, but all the same lifepo4 has 2500 as min cycle life, this is about 5yrs, even if discharged daily, so a good used lifepo4 is as good as new.

The seller tried, within his abilities/naija standard kudos..
Its just for him to take the bank apart, locate the bad cells and topbalance and recouple This may take 2 to 7 days dep3nding on his equipment.

What is the make of the cells?
Eve, calb, Catl.....

Or if its not too long you bought it, if he is a good man as you say, he can send you another bank, as soon as you send back the current unit.

I hope he has top balance equipment, and doesnt simply slap cells together to build a bank

I'd communicate him all my findings as I make videos of the performance. I'd keep the house updated.

I couldn't see the brand name on the cells
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:56am On Feb 13, 2021
RITAR BATTERIES NOW AVAILABLE FOR ORDER!

Ritar 200AH 12V .... 125,000

Ritar 150AH 12V slim ..... 105,000

Ritar 105AH 12V Slim ... 85,000

All brand new with a year standard warranty!

Contact,
Smartcellglobal
081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:31pm On Feb 13, 2021
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead deep cycle batteries from any state to Lagos(T&C applies) .

12v 200a ..... N16,000
12v 150a.......N12,000
12v 100a.......N8,000
2v 500a.......N5,500

If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver .

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

(1) (2) (3) ... (941) (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) ... (1666) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Edrizz(m), Chuckdee(m), saint2ace(m), prestige2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.