Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (234) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (695231 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Sgttanner: 9:02am On Sep 20, 2017
Tbells91:

Have you been able to do anything about your result?
yea I got it yesterday.. thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by enigbon: 9:04am On Sep 20, 2017
man thanks much, i don see am dont know hw i missed it
folmus:

Did you truly checked the courses? There are three: Computer and Information Technology (MCIT), Computer and Information Science, Computer Graphics and Game Technology (CGGT). Which computer related you looking for?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by enigbon: 9:52am On Sep 20, 2017
iv just finished submitting my application, its requesting an 80 dollar bill
folmus:

Did you truly checked the courses? There are three: Computer and Information Technology (MCIT), Computer and Information Science, Computer Graphics and Game Technology (CGGT). Which computer related you looking for?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by dannyfrank1: 9:53am On Sep 20, 2017
Greetings my people.is it too early to go for an F1 visa interview by october?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by folmus: 10:08am On Sep 20, 2017
dannyfrank1:

If its Spring 2018, not too early, better be quick to see date.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by folmus: 10:09am On Sep 20, 2017
enigbon:

I dont know about that o, man of wisdom. grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by enigbon: 10:15am On Sep 20, 2017
serious i just applied for mcit and it requeted the 80 dollars, wat did u apply for
folmus:

I dont know about that o, man of wisdom. grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:16am On Sep 20, 2017
enigbon:

you need to read through all the details before submitting an application and research on the school ....

UPenn not only is expensive but also very competitive to enter.. Its one of the ivy league schools ... . i dont know your profile but it has to be top notch so you dont end up going through all this trouble for nothing

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by enigbon: 10:20am On Sep 20, 2017
thanks
LagosismyHome:

you need to read through all the details before submitting an application and research on the school ....

UPenn not only is expensive but also very competitive to enter.. Its one of the ivy league schools ... . i dont know your profile but it has not be top notch so you dont end up going through all this trouble for nothing
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:21am On Sep 20, 2017
enigbon:
thanks

that info of free application fee is old self....always check the website directly

Penn GSE offers a free application from September 15, 2016, through March 15, 2017. Beginning March 16, 2017, through September 14, 2017, there is a $75 non-refundable application fee.

more info on the link

http://www.gse.upenn.edu/admissions_financial/app-fee
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by lasthero: 10:22am On Sep 20, 2017
orobs93:

bross please help a brother I studied chemistry education really searching for information of what I can apply for and how to go about it

If you want to further in chemistry education.

You can try Alcorn state University Mississippi.

They offer MS in chemistry education.
You can also apply for teacher grants that will cover your tuitions with the agreement that you will practice in rural school with little earnings after graduation.

Link to apply for teach grant.

http://www.alcorn.edu/admissions/financial-aid/teach-grant/index.aspx

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by folmus: 10:24am On Sep 20, 2017
enigbon:
serious i just applied for mcit and it requeted the 80 dollars, wat did u apply for

Am not applying for anything o. Want to apply for post PhD sha grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by orobs93(m): 10:36am On Sep 20, 2017
lasthero:

If you want to further in chemistry education.

You can try Alcorn state University Mississippi.

They offer MS in chemistry education.
You can also apply for teacher grants that will cover your tuitions with the agreement that you will practice in rural school with little earnings after graduation.

Link to apply for teach grant.

http://www.alcorn.edu/admissions/financial-aid/teach-grant/index.aspx

thanks for your response
please I didn't graduate with a good result please I need some counselling please
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by lolokike: 10:57am On Sep 20, 2017
hello, i am a follower of this wonderful thread.

God bless yall for this.

Can i use student visa to enter into the usa without going to school on arrival?

And what is the best way to go about this if i wanna do it?

Thanks as i anticipate your response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:04am On Sep 20, 2017
lolokike:

God bless yall for this.

Can i use student visa to enter into the usa without going to school on arrival?

no its a very terrible ideal.... better to find a scholarship or attend a school you can afford

otherwise if you are given a student visa and do not go to school. you fall out of status , can't work, living illegally and can get deported.... it always comes with emotional baggage and frustration

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by lolokike: 11:31am On Sep 20, 2017
@lagosismyhome thanks for the info.

i have more questions.

going thru this thread i realized that when people talk about full funding programs, they talk about GRE/TOEFL.

can sumbody combine GRE/IELTS

can someone get full funding with GRE/IELTS instead of TOEFL

and also is the full funding dependent on your GRE/TOEFL/IELTS score?

What is the full funding dependent on?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by lonelyhrt(f): 11:54am On Sep 20, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Ya, the exclusion of F grades from WES CGPA evaluations and the upgrades of our C, D and E results to B, C+ and C respectively make their conversion more favorable.

@lonelyhrt...do not be discouraged yet. If you have a copy of your transcript already with you, you can do the WES evaluation yourself to see if the final comes out to at least 2.5/4.0, before you go ahead and pay for the official evaluation. Here is how you do it:

any A you have still remains A = 4 points
your B becomes a B+ = 3.33
your C becomes a B = 3.00 points
your D becomes a C+ = 2.33
your E becomes a C = 2 points
your F still remains an F = 0 (but do not include any failed courses as part of your calculation, only the years that you passed them).

The rest of the CGPA calculation is as usual.

A 3-unit course you made a C in (the C is now a B on the US scale = 3 points) now becomes 3 units * 3 points = 9 grade points.
A 2-unit course you made a D in now becomes C+ = 2.33 = 2 * 2.33 = 4.66 grade points
A 2-unit course you made an E in now becomes C = 2 points = 2 * 2 = 4.00 grade points and so on.

As usual, sum up all your grade points, and divide by the total number of units you did from first year to final year (excluding the units for all failed courses), that should give you your CGPA on the 4-point scale. Do the conversion and let us see if it comes up to 2.5/4.0, and if it does, congratulations. You may now proceed to the official WES evaluation.

In addition to Bowie State University and Morgan State University, I know two other schools that have 2.5/4.0 as minimum GPA requirement for bachelors degree that could admit you for Masters. Do not give up hope yet but you will have to be up and doing about it. Masters in Pharmacology with a 2.50/4.00 GPA may not be too feasible and I strongly advise that you go for similar but less-competitive health courses just so that you get admitted and get in the US and you could try changing your course after first semester of study in the US (provided you make a 3.0/4.0 GPA in your first semester). It is doable but you gotta work hard for it.

Hi big fracis,i have done all regarding the c.gpa do you mind posting it here for more clarifications or i pm you ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 11:55am On Sep 20, 2017
lolokike:

God bless yall for this.

Don't do this because it will be out of status and that makes you illegal in US soil..

The best way is to obey the rules and the student visa and attend school..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 11:57am On Sep 20, 2017
dannyfrank1:

Attending visa interview should not be more than 120 days to your resumption date from now or anytime you plan to attend the visa interview.

In one word just calculate 120 days backward from you resumption date and you know when you can go for visa interview
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:58am On Sep 20, 2017
lolokike:
@lagosismyhome thanks for the info.

i have more questions.

going thru this thread i realized that when people talk about full funding programs, they talk about GRE/TOEFL.

can sumbody combine GRE/IELTS

can someone get full funding with GRE/IELTS instead of TOEFL

and also is the full funding dependent on your GRE/TOEFL/IELTS score?

What is the full funding dependent on?

if you can do IELTs then why cant you do TOEFL.... although the question if you can get funding with GRE /IELTS yes it possible but you always have to check what the school requirements as.... it can be ok with one school and not ok with another.

full funding depends on so many factors...first the depart or school or grant has to have the budget . then have no of spaces available and once that established then based on the applicants the spots get allocated

so you have to ensure you application is good enough because it will be competitive. .. Some schools are easier to get than others so that where research comes in... you target schools that might be easier. ...so to make yourself competitive then have good GPA, GRE or SAT and TOEFL or IELTS in most cases

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by lasthero: 12:05pm On Sep 20, 2017
orobs93:

thanks for your response
please I didn't graduate with a good result please I need some counselling please

sorry to ask, what cgpa did you graduate with?, and have you evaluated it to USA standard using WES?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by skoloppy31(m): 12:59pm On Sep 20, 2017
Hello house,anyone with GRE past questions or where I can get it, going for my test next month,the school ask me to send my GRE score,then I would know the step to take .help a brother out
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by orobs93(m): 1:34pm On Sep 20, 2017
lasthero:

sorry to ask, what cgpa did you graduate with?, and have you evaluated it to USA standard using WES?

sorry not yet I don't know. how
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by sheke01: 1:53pm On Sep 20, 2017
femi312:
For every Engineering graduate school prospect coming here to ask for school suggestions, who does not have access to US news ranking, this spreadsheet might save you some stress. It has all the 2017 ranking of Engineering schools. It wont take you more than a week to start sending emails, perusing each school website to see which one of them you have chances of getting into and which one meets your goals and aspirations.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKmQy59LeEpUW5tbEZhRHJmR1U/view?usp=sharing

And I cant reply every pms again please, the busy season is here , below you will find a good SOP you can use as guide and ebook
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKmQy59LeEpZ2Y3bnk2Vlh4ekM0dy13VERhWDNpY2FGLVRV/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKmQy59LeEpQ0VGeFVSd0l1eUJyMUJvQ0V3cW1oeDhmZ3J3/view?usp=sharing

please am a little lost . I have lots of possible schools to apply to but am kind of confused. To prevent spending too much money on application fee, how do I write to schools to inquire if I can be accepted and if I will be given GA/funding. I mailed university of Houston over a month ago but they are yet to reply me.
I plan on pursing a msc in mechanical engineering for fall 2018, I have a GRE score of 305 (157 quant score), 3.95/5 (hopefully 3.5/4 after WES evaluation, as my evaluation is still in progress), my TOFEL is next month, am still preparing my SOP and I have no engineering based work experience.
dicapino, Icool, iekene, seeker88, walspring and other engineers, please which schools do I stand a chance at GA/funding with my profile or do I retake GRE
Please can anyone point me in the right way to go about this. Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by CaptEColeJnr: 2:20pm On Sep 20, 2017
enigbon:
Is it undergraduate or post grad?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by CaptEColeJnr: 2:31pm On Sep 20, 2017
Walspring:

Don't do this because it will be out of status and that makes you illegal in US soil..

The best way is to obey the rules and the student visa and attend school..
What about if one remains in the US after completing his school program and decides to get a job and gets married??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by enigbon: 3:09pm On Sep 20, 2017
postgrad
CaptEColeJnr:
Is it undergraduate or post grad?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 3:09pm On Sep 20, 2017
sheke01:

please am a little lost . I have lots of possible schools to apply to but am kind of confused. To prevent spending too much money on application fee, how do I write to schools to inquire if I can be accepted and if I will be given GA/funding. I mailed university of Houston over a month ago but they are yet to reply me.
I plan on pursing a msc in mechanical engineering for fall 2018, I have a GRE score of 305 (157 quant score), 3.95/5 (hopefully 3.5/4 after WES evaluation, as my evaluation is still in progress), my TOFEL is next month, am still preparing my SOP and I have no engineering based work experience.
dicapino, Icool, iekene, seeker88, walspring and other engineers, please which schools do I stand a chance at GA/funding with my profile or do I retake GRE
Please can anyone point me in the right way to go about this. Thank you
1) Your WES evaluation should be between 3.38-3.41/4.0 cant be 3.5 except there is a miracle or error somewhere

2) No school will explicitly tell you, you will be admitted or funded, most will tell you to put in your application first. The best person to send a mail to in your proposed school is the grad cord in your department, 98% of the time..He/she will reply you. you could ask some of the following questions as the case may be.. a) Please would there be opportunities for M.Sc/Ph.D students advising in this area of research, in Fall 2018?
b) Are the specific minimum requirements for MS.c admission listed on the departmental website followed strictly? Peradventure I am deficient in one aspect say, GRE score by 2 points but my other application material like GPA, SOP LOR are excellent, do I stand a chance of getting admitted?? (You should be asking this if your GRE fall a little below the listed minimum)
c) What are the opportunities for funding?
d) Do I need to contact a faculty before I can be admitted?
e) Is teaching assistantship awarded to incoming International students? (Some schools don't award TAs to new incoming students, so you can use your discretion to either apply or not based on the reply)

However if you can retake the GRE, give it a shot but if not, try to make your other profile materials close to excellent if not excellent. If you are not so particular about ranking, you can check Texas A&M kingsville, they seem to admit alot of Nigerians and with your score you will definitely get admitted. However, you cant really say there is a school where funding is sure except there is a firsthand info from current students, so start connecting students on linkedin and inquiring about funding scenario in their schools.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Mekurexx: 3:10pm On Sep 20, 2017
This is amazing! Good job Man!
femi312:
For every Engineering graduate school prospect coming here to ask for school suggestions, who does not have access to US news ranking, this spreadsheet might save you some stress. It has all the 2017 ranking of Engineering schools. It wont take you more than a week to start sending emails, perusing each school website to see which one of them you have chances of getting into and which one meets your goals and aspirations.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKmQy59LeEpUW5tbEZhRHJmR1U/view?usp=sharing

And I cant reply every pms again please, the busy season is here , below you will find a good SOP you can use as guide and ebook
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKmQy59LeEpZ2Y3bnk2Vlh4ekM0dy13VERhWDNpY2FGLVRV/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKmQy59LeEpQ0VGeFVSd0l1eUJyMUJvQ0V3cW1oeDhmZ3J3/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Mekurexx: 3:11pm On Sep 20, 2017
If you need USD for application fees, WES or any type of payment, send me a message! In need of naira
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 20, 2017
enigbon:

Lol, UPenn GSE is their school of education. The waiver applies only to courses offered by their school of education.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.