Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,424 members, 7,800,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (431) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (694231 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by scaezar: 8:50am On Dec 10, 2017
TWoods:

No such thing exists. Estimating cost of living depends on where you choose to live. One way to do this would be to add these up:

1. Tuition + school fees/expenses
2. Depending on where you live, housing can range from $500 - $1500/month
3. Gas/electric/cable/internet/cell phone - assume at least $500/month (it may be less)
4. Auto insurance - $200/month
5. Auto maintenance - $500/year (if you have a reliable car and all you need is an oil change every 4 months. If it's an older car, budget more.
6. Food/house supplies - $200/month

Add pocket/spending money.

What you'll need at the embassy should be at least enough to cover your first year of study.

Note these are just rough estimates. Use but modify to your own specific situation. For example, those who live on-campus won't need to worry about items 2, 3 and maybe 6 (except the cell phone).

Very weird grin was expecting Twoods tell him how lazy he is grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by scaezar: 9:00am On Dec 10, 2017
Sanctus1:

Broda at 28..hmmm me sef na 25 my heart just dy cut but get i get backup shaaa for the second degree...the truth is that 70% of our Nigeria undergraduates are doing courses which they are not interested in but due to some peer or family pressure or most times because their desired course is not given to them ,they end up doing one course or the other just to be a graduate. but since we have the opportunity to correct this. We are not going to let it slip off our fingers .

Howfar bros

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by scaezar: 9:01am On Dec 10, 2017
thacokeboy:
hook up
Howfar bruh. You said you applied to TROY?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by dtush(f): 9:14am On Dec 10, 2017
Good morning house,

Please i will appreciate any response pointing me in the right direction.

My brother was recently rejected for his student visa application to canada. We have decided to turn our sights to the US. His desired course is Computer Science. He has not written TOEFL or SAT.

I will appreciate your help in recommending schools that are not too expensive as i am his sole sponsor, and schools that do not require SATs or TOEFL as i dont want his to waste another year sitting at home. and how to go about applying. Since he is a minor, i will have to go with him for his interview.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Drocks: 9:29am On Dec 10, 2017
Google ma
dtush:
Good morning house,

My brother was recently rejected for his student visa application to canada. We have decided to turn our sights to the US. His desired course is Computer Science. He has not written TOEFL or SAT.

I will appreciate your help in recommending schools that are not too expensive as i am his sole sponsor, and schools that do not require SATs or TOEFL as i dont want his to waste another year sitting at home. and how to go about applying. Since he is a minor, i will have to go with him for his interview.

Thanks in advance
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by sunshineluv5: 9:37am On Dec 10, 2017
sunshineluv5:
ooo lord this is really a great platform this is what i have been looking for.....pls soon I ll be registering for an English test,I chose ielts bcuz I would need it to apply to Canada as well hope schools in US accept ielts ,bcuz when I took a quick glance at previous write-ups I only saw most ppl talking about TOEFL exam?
please gurus i still need answers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by vikturaikay(m): 9:53am On Dec 10, 2017
Good morning good people. Sorry about the delay in posting my transcript. I was placed on AP. but by the grace of God AP has turned to "ISSUED ". My interview was on the 5th of Dec. Couldn't sleep much in the night. Even @presh58 (May God bless her like He has never blessed anyone in this life) around 12 am for a mock interview. After prayers, let the house around 5 am. Got to the consulate around some minutes to 6. Was surrounded by all the boys hustling there where after all my objection I was later convinced to become #1500 poorer cus they said my passport photograp is not 50×50. Take note. Fast forward to the interview.
Standing in the queue and was praying for the shortest interview ever. The guy in window 6 is in love with blue. He was dishing out blue paper like kilode. One lanky white guy like that. I prayed not to meet him. I was directed to window 8 inside the cubicle. A tiny white lady. He gave 2 people b4 me even when the 1st guy didn't convince me self! As they are going in was touching them and tapping into their anointing (lol). My turn:
VO: Good morning
Me: Good morning
VO: your passport please, I give am.
VO : your 1-20, I give am. Looked at it for a while.
VO; whare are you going.
Me: I am going to Ashland University Ohio.
VO: to do what.
Me : for my MBA in business administration and management.
VO: How many schools did you apply to.
Me 2 . About naming them but she cut me out with.
VO: How do you about AU.
Me: one of my facilitators during my NIM programme is an alumnus of the school so when I told him about my intentions to study in the US, he recommended AU , then I als made research using usnews.com and the school website. I was impressed with their core value which is a student centred experimental learning.i am also in correspondence with Mr Bla bla their International students representative and his swift response also convinced me but what really got me hooked was the fact that GetEducated.com ranked their MBA as among the top 40 in the country. She been dey type but as I talk that one she look up smile. And in all this time a kind of confidence and calm that I don't know i possess was just there.
VO: you seems to know the school.
Me : yea (feeling Americana already).
Vo: whats your highest qualification
Me: Bsc Bus Admin
Vo: when did yo get this
Me 2008
Vo: who's your sponsor
Me:my dad
Vo: what will this MBA do for you.
i wasnt expecting that question so i said pardon?
VO: why MBA
Me : MBA will enhance my managerial skills and make me more marketable. It will help me in performing my functions as a manager better.it will help me In effectively managing the 4 Ms of management which is Manpower, Money, Materials and emh, emh, na so I blank. She come look me smile. I pick up. As the marketing manager in my company, obtaining a MBA will help me to efficiently and effectively organise and coordinate the affairs of my department.
Vo: How many staff in your department
Me: 26. She started typing and hitting a particular key for ages. After sometime, she touched the white paper and said
Vo: will be keeping your passport and will be giving you this but something is not coming up in my system so I will be placing you on Administrative process. My heart cut . I said ok and left. No document was asked. I have been tracking it online and on Friday I checked and saw "ISSUED" and if you are not contacted within the next bleep business days go to your collection center. My dear it's God. I saw plenty people blowing plenty grammar. I saw people coming for the 4th time. So just prepare and ask God for grace.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Shubbys: 9:59am On Dec 10, 2017
The university am applying to asked me to upload my high school transcripts, is it my waec result?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:59am On Dec 10, 2017
dtush:
Good morning house,

Thanks in advance

If he is a minor then it not how far but how well.....4 years tuition/ living expenses is no joke ....also if he is academically inclined then yes he should take the SAT and study very hard for it . There still time to aim for either august or next jan resumption

He better off entering a good school on scholarship or even better full ride than entering a low standard that not all expensive and then struggle to find job after graduation

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:05am On Dec 10, 2017
vikturaikay:
Good morning good people. Sorry about the delay in posting my transcript.

Congrats ...May God bless your new journey

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:08am On Dec 10, 2017
sunshineluv5:
ooo lord this is really a great platform this is what i have been looking for.....pls soon I ll be registering for an English test,I chose ielts bcuz I would need it to apply to Canada as well hope schools in US accept ielts ,bcuz when I took a quick glance at previous write-ups I only saw most ppl talking about TOEFL exam?

toefl is more widely accepted in the USA. Ielts is now accepted by some schools so if you want to do ielts instead then you need to check the schools you are targeting .

If the schools you want accept ielts then you are good to go ...so that should be your guiding point
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by thefacelessguy: 11:17am On Dec 10, 2017
Hi people,

I've been on this thread for a while and finally my interview is this week.

I've been trying to reach guys for mock interviews but none is forthcoming yet.

So based on likely questions I've seen here, I decided to type out possible answers to likely VO questions.

My Presumed Interview
VO: Pass your documents(i-20, passport and Sevis)
Me: I do as instructed
VO: What are you going for?
Me: I am going for my PhD in Electrical Engineering at the University of Kansas with specialization in Communication and Signal processing.
VO: Why Uokansas?
me: Ans1: My interest has always been in the intersection of Power Engineering and Communication Systems. My previous employment and current job is in this field but I found out UoK while I was part of a research group in my current company which lasted 3months at Elizade University( I would provide the Power Point Slide). The research was to tackle the problem of power theft using PLCC. During the research, I found Dr Erik Perrins work on the subject and it was really helpful. I later spoke with him on my intentions for Graduate Studies which he encouraged and sent me the contact of the Grad Coord. I have been in talks with Pamala Shadoin since then. When I told her of my intentions of getting a PhD after Masters, she told me I could apply for a direct PhD and I gladly did.

A2: UoKansas is a tier 1 public research University and the ECE with core specialization in Communication systems and Signal Processing. Unlike other schools with similar specialization, UoK has it's Signal and processing well defined and further subdivided into 5 subgroups: Communication Systems, Network Systems, Network Engineering, RF and Radar and then Sign Processing. The department also has 3 IEEE fellows with over other 10 faculties working in Communication Systems. Also, the ultra modern the CReSiS laboratory founded since 2005 and funded by the NSF to carry out research monitoring ice sheet layers and effects of Climate Changeo on the Antarctica using Signal Processing technologies is enticing to me as I hope to work and learn using available resources.

(both are true but which is the best?)

VO: What will this course do for you?
Me: This course will help me achieve My ultimate career goal of getting a Doctorate and setting up Communications Laboratory specially suited for Smart Grids in Nigeria and subsequently, other West African Countries.A Smart Grid is basically the conventional power grid but with added communications and networking technologies which makes it easy for Power Distribution Company to optimally deliver power to Customers and also ensure that everyone pays the commensurate amount. Power and Telecommunications are 2major infrastructure lacking in most African countries and I forsee interest by Government and Private Investors in the next 5-10 years which opens up opportunities for people like myself who have needed skillset in that field.

VO: Did you write any standardized tests?
Me: Yes, GREQ161, V154 AWA 4, IELTS 8/9( Provide the documents)

VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: 4- 2 offered me admission (UoK, Montana State) while (UCB and Washington SU did not)
I'm not going to Montana because the Communication Systems there is not as broad as in UoK( Just one faculty does something similar and he is into Optical Communication as opposed to RF and Radar)

VO: I see you have very little funding,($2k) how do you intend to pay your bills?
Me: My Uncle who is a Senior Drilling Engineer at Total E&P Nigeria has been my academic sponsor since my Undergraduate will be sponsoring me( statement of $27k ) and he'd be supported by my Brother (N5m statement)
I also have been in talks with the department about this and the Graduate Coord confirmed that they only provide funding to students that are available and mostly will get a GTA or GRA the next semester (I printed the emails she sent and will provide it)

PS: I reaally don't want to use my Brother's statement.

VO: Where do you work and what do you do?
Me: I work with XYZ Power Distribution Company and my job is in the intersection between Power and ICT as I monitor and provide support for all Prepaid Energy Meters installed in the 4 States of our operation in Nigeria. I monitor each Prepaid Meter User account from the Head office and routinely go to the field when a case requires such. This job role was what influenced the research I was involved in to reduce Power Theft on our Network using PLCC. Also my previous employment was in a Company that worked with Renewable Energy Sources particularly Solar and also provide Internet and Communication services(an ISP) for homes and companies.

VO: Are you married?
Me: No

Expected outcome: Please take this White Paper and get out of Nigeria! smiley

Please I will appreciate your critique, correction and advice. How best should I arrange the answers?

I look forward to your replies.

Thank you all.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by MrSly2016: 11:27am On Dec 10, 2017
LagosismyHome:

If he is a minor then it not how far but how well.....4 years tuition/ living expenses is no joke ....also if he is academically inclined then yes he should take the SAT and study very hard for it . There still time to aim for either august or next jan resumption

He better off entering a good school on scholarship or even better full ride than entering a low standard that not all expensive and then struggle to find job after graduation

please I sent a message to your email.... kindly check, Thank you very much.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by RoninSignals: 11:35am On Dec 10, 2017
good morning guys. great job here. I was denied F1 visa twice, the second time I went the VO told me I needed to start my application over again and I asked her if it's my I20 she said my application she also added if I come with the same application I would be denied . I have effected some changes in my application where I felt error occurred. I am going on Tuesday 12th...what shld I do?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:10pm On Dec 10, 2017
RoninSignals:
good morning guys. great job here. I was denied F1 visa twice, the second time I went the VO told me I needed to start my application over again and I asked her if it's my I20 she said my application she also added if I come with the same application I would be denied . I have effected some changes in my application where I felt error occurred. I am going on Tuesday 12th...what shld I do?

What school is this for....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:13pm On Dec 10, 2017
MrSly2016:

please I sent a message to your email.... kindly check, Thank you very much.

I usually dont check pm ...only weekday when i am at work . However why did u leave any feedback till last minute .

Due to the very short time frame, i would suggest you go through previous transcript and use that as a preparatory guide
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by RoninSignals: 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2017
iglobal university
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by RoninSignals: 12:30pm On Dec 10, 2017
LagosismyHome:

iglobal university Virginia
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:44pm On Dec 10, 2017
RoninSignals:

iglobal university Virginia

The VO gave you free exam expo .... that a hint that that school is a big no no. If you continue to insist and go with that school then you are dashing the embassy 64k for nothing

Dont go back on the 12th with that school i20 ooo. I beg you

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 10, 2017
vikturaikay:
Good morning good people. Sorry about the delay in posting my transcript. I was placed on AP. but by the grace of God AP has turned to "ISSUED ". My interview was on the 5th of Dec. Couldn't sleep much in the night. Even @presh58 (May God bless her like He has never blessed anyone in this life) around 12 am for a mock interview. After prayers, let the house around 5 am. Got to the consulate around some minutes to 6. Was surrounded by all the boys hustling there where after all my objection I was later convinced to become #1500 poorer cus they said my passport photograp is not 50×50. Take note. Fast forward to the interview.
Standing in the queue and was praying for the shortest interview ever. The guy in window 6 is in love with blue. He was dishing out blue paper like kilode. One lanky white guy like that. I prayed not to meet him. I was directed to window 8 inside the cubicle. A tiny white lady. He gave 2 people b4 me even when the 1st guy didn't convince me self! As they are going in was touching them and tapping into their anointing (lol). My turn:
VO: Good morning
Me: Good morning
VO: your passport please, I give am.
VO : your 1-20, I give am. Looked at it for a while.
VO; whare are you going.
Me: I am going to Ashland University Ohio.
VO: to do what.
Me : for my MBA in business administration and management.
VO: How many schools did you apply to.
Me 2 . About naming them but she cut me out with.
VO: How do you about AU.
Me: one of my facilitators during my NIM programme is an alumnus of the school so when I told him about my intentions to study in the US, he recommended AU , then I als made research using usnews.com and the school website. I was impressed with their core value which is a student centred experimental learning.i am also in correspondence with Mr Bla bla their International students representative and his swift response also convinced me but what really got me hooked was the fact that GetEducated.com ranked their MBA as among the top 40 in the country. She been dey type but as I talk that one she look up smile. And in all this time a kind of confidence and calm that I don't know i possess was just there.
VO: you seems to know the school.
Me : yea (feeling Americana already).
Vo: whats your highest qualification
Me: Bsc Bus Admin
Vo: when did yo get this
Me 2008
Vo: who's your sponsor
Me:my dad
Vo: what will this MBA do for you.
i wasnt expecting that question so i said pardon?
VO: why MBA
Me : MBA will enhance my managerial skills and make me more marketable. It will help me in performing my functions as a manager better.it will help me In effectively managing the 4 Ms of management which is Manpower, Money, Materials and emh, emh, na so I blank. She come look me smile. I pick up. As the marketing manager in my company, obtaining a MBA will help me to efficiently and effectively organise and coordinate the affairs of my department.
Vo: How many staff in your department
Me: 26. She started typing and hitting a particular key for ages. After sometime, she touched the white paper and said
Vo: will be keeping your passport and will be giving you this but something is not coming up in my system so I will be placing you on Administrative process. My heart cut . I said ok and left. No document was asked. I have been tracking it online and on Friday I checked and saw "ISSUED" and if you are not contacted within the next bleep business days go to your collection center. My dear it's God. I saw plenty people blowing plenty grammar. I saw people coming for the 4th time. So just prepare and ask God for grace.

my man, that's my sch too. I got admitted into the university as well for MBA, please can we please have a chat on this number 08052917129.

thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by HiredGames(m): 1:20pm On Dec 10, 2017
oluwadamilare26:

Be diplomatic sometimes... Tell them Two universities and you got admitted to both, look for a university that is closer to FIU, and tell them why you prefer FIU to that...

My advice tho.

Small time Twoods will say most of us are fraudulent in this country and we will open our mouth and call for his head.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Time2Smile(m): 2:01pm On Dec 10, 2017
thefacelessguy:
Hi people,

I've been on this thread for a while and finally my interview is this week.

I've been trying to reach guys for mock interviews but none is forthcoming yet.

So based on likely questions I've seen here, I decided to type out possible answers to likely VO questions.

My Presumed Interview
VO: Pass your documents(i-20, passport and Sevis)
Me: I do as instructed
VO: What are you going for?
Me: I am going for my PhD in Electrical Engineering at the University of Kansas with specialization in Communication and Signal processing.
VO: Why Uokansas?
me: Ans1: My interest has always been in the intersection of Power Engineering and Communication Systems. My previous employment and current job is in this field but I found out UoK while I was part of a research group in my current company which lasted 3months at Elizade University( I would provide the Power Point Slide).The research was to tackle the problem of power theft using PLCC. During the research, I found Dr Erik Perrins work on the subject and it was really helpful. I later spoke with him on my intentions for Graduate Studies which he encouraged and sent me the contact of the Grad Coord. I have been in talks with Pamala Shadoin since then. When I told her of my intentions of getting a PhD after Masters, she told me I could apply for a direct PhD and I gladly did.

A2: UoKansas is a tier 1 public research University and the ECE with core specialization in Communication systems and Signal Processing. Unlike other schools with similar specialization, UoK has it's Signal and processing well defined and further subdivided into 5 subgroups: Communication Systems, Network Systems, Network Engineering, RF and Radar and then Sign Processing. The department also has 3 IEEE fellows with over other 10 faculties working in Communication Systems. Also, the ultra modern the CReSiS laboratory founded since 2005 and funded by the NSF to carry out research monitoring ice sheet layers and effects of Climate Changeo on the Antarctica using Signal Processing technologies is enticing to me as I hope to work and learn using available resources.

(both are true but which is the best?)

VO: What will this course do for you?
Me: This course will help me achieve My ultimate career goal of getting a Doctorate and setting up Communications Laboratory specially suited for Smart Grids in Nigeria and subsequently, other West African Countries.A Smart Grid is basically the conventional power grid but with added communications and networking technologies which makes it easy for Power Distribution Company to optimally deliver power to Customers and also ensure that everyone pays the commensurate amount. Power and Telecommunications are 2major infrastructure lacking in most African countries and I forsee interest by Government and Private Investors in the next 5-10 years which opens up opportunities for people like myself who have needed skillset in that field.

VO: Did you write any standardized tests?
Me: Yes, GREQ161, V154 AWA 4, IELTS 8/9( Provide the documents)
VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: 4- 2 offered me admission (UoK, Montana State) while (UCB and Washington SU did not)
I'm not going to Montana because the Communication Systems there is not as broad as in UoK( Just one faculty does something similar and he is into Optical Communication as opposed to RF and Radar)

VO: I see you have very little funding,($2k) how do you intend to pay your bills?
Me: My Uncle who is a Senior Drilling Engineer at Total E&P Nigeria has been my academic sponsor since my Undergraduate will be sponsoring me( statement of $27k ) and he'd be supported by my Brother (N5m statement)
I also have been in talks with the department about this and the Graduate Coord confirmed that they only provide funding to students that are available and mostly will get a GTA or GRA the next semester (I printed the emails she sent and will provide it)

PS: I reaally don't want to use my Brother's statement.

VO: Where do you work and what do you do?
Me: I work with XYZ Power Distribution Company and my job is in the intersection between Power and ICT as I monitor and provide support for all Prepaid Energy Meters installed in the 4 States of our operation in Nigeria. I monitor each Prepaid Meter User account from the Head office and routinely go to the field when a case requires such. This job role was what influenced the research I was involved in to reduce Power Theft on our Network using PLCC. Also my previous employment was in a Company that worked with Renewable Energy Sources particularly Solar and also provide Internet and Communication services(an ISP) for homes and companies.

VO: Are you married?
Me: No

Expected outcome: Please take this White Paper and get out of Nigeria! smiley

Please I will appreciate your critique, correction and advice. How best should I arrange the answers?

I look forward to your replies.

Thank you all.

Please don't give the VO any document unless you are asked. And the VO sure doesn't have time to read a PowerPoint presentation.
You don't have to choose one of the reasons you are going to University of Kansas, you can mention both. I do hope you don't plan to say it exactly as it is written up there. Having the general point and stating the points naturally without coming out has rehearsed will really help because you can be cut off anytime mid-sentence.

I am also not comfortable that you are not being funded from the get go as a PhD student in a STEM field. Paying tuition for the first semester does not sound right to me. You should get specific details about the funding situation. Trust me you won't feel good by the time you see all your colleagues getting funded.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by MrSly2016: 2:42pm On Dec 10, 2017
LagosismyHome:

I usually dont check pm ...only weekday when i am at work . However why did u leave any feedback till last minute .

Due to the very short time frame, i would suggest you go through previous transcript and use that as a preparatory guide

Is it possible to contact you Via Whatsapp? If Yes, Would kindly drop my Whatsapp contact... Thanks for your Response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by vikturaikay(m): 2:43pm On Dec 10, 2017
Please how do I book for flight.i will be travelling by the 5th of January 2018. I am going to Cleveland Ohio. Please someone should help me it's urgent. The cheaper it is the better.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Emmasonic4me: 2:46pm On Dec 10, 2017
sunshineluv5:
please gurus i still need answers
Hi
I noticed youbsent a PM but mine doesn't work, so I can't respond. Kindly provide a means to communicate by quoting me and I will get in touch.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by thefacelessguy: 2:53pm On Dec 10, 2017
Time2Smile:

Please don't give the VO any document unless you are asked. And the VO sure doesn't have time to read a PowerPoint presentation.
You don't have to choose one of the reasons you are going to University of Kansas, you can mention both. I do hope you don't plan to say it exactly as it is written up there. Having the general point and stating the points naturally without coming out has rehearsed will really help because you can be cut off anytime mid-sentence.

I am also not comfortable that you are not being funded from the get go as a PhD student in a STEM field. Paying tuition for the first semester does not sound right to me. You should get specific details about the funding situation. Trust me you won't feel good by the time you see all your colleagues getting funded.

Thank you Time2smile for your comment.

I actually remember you well from the GRE thread late last year...I remember your stellar result too smiley
Hope you got funding?

Paying the first semester isn't something I'm happy about myself but instead of waiting for another year, I just want to do that.
Plus there's the chance of getting funded as soon as I get to school. My intention is to go round the faculties and see which of them I can get something out from(GRA or GTA). I spoke with someone in Chemistry department in the school and she was like, " just come, you'd not spend a dime"

Notwithstanding, I am planning to at least pay for the first semester in the worst scenario which I hope wouldn't happen.

Also, I appreciate the fact that you noticed that my lengthy replies: I can be unnecessarily prolix at times which is why I'd appreciate what part of the response I edit off. Any suggestions?

My I-20 also include personal funds of $6.7k, do I need to go with my statement?

What other question should I watch out for that I haven't mentioned? Any advice?

cc: Lagosismyhome, TWoods, mitchely, ABIM06, Ponpon, Femi321, everyone that can be helpful

Thanks again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 3:07pm On Dec 10, 2017
vikturaikay:
Please how do I book for flight.i will be travelling by the 5th of January 2018. I am going to Cleveland Ohio. Please someone should help me it's urgent. The cheaper it is the better.

congratulations bro. I was admitted into the same sch with u, I want to ask few questions from u, thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by aldexrio(m): 3:12pm On Dec 10, 2017
pls house I want to ask after studies what are the chances of securing a good job in US
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Time2Smile(m): 3:28pm On Dec 10, 2017
thefacelessguy:

Thank you Time2smile for your comment.

I actually remember you well from the GRE thread late last year...I remember your stellar result too smiley
Hope you got funding?

Paying the first semester isn't something I'm happy about myself but instead of waiting for another year, I just want to do that.
Plus there's the chance of getting funded as soon as I get to school. My intention is to go round the faculties and see which of them I can get something out from(GRA or GTA). I spoke with someone in Chemistry department in the school and she was like, " just come, you'd not spend a dime"

Notwithstanding, I am planning to at least pay for the first semester in the worst scenario which I hope wouldn't happen.

Also, I appreciate the fact that you noticed that my lengthy replies: I can be unnecessarily prolix at times which is why I'd appreciate what part of the response I edit off. Any suggestions?

My I-20 also include personal funds of $6.7k, do I need to go with my statement?

What other question should I watch out for that I haven't mentioned? Any advice?

cc: Lagosismyhome, TWoods, mitchely, ABIM06, Ponpon, Femi321, everyone that can be helpful

Thanks again.

You don't have to go with your personal statement, but I think you have to go with a statement that covers the tuition and living expenses for the first year as stated in your I20. Personal in this context means funds coming your end, not from the school or a scholarship. But try to mention that you are likely to be funded upon resumption.
You should just try to be concise, clear and don't offer extraneous information that is not solicited. Just take it as if you are talking to a senior colleague about your career aspirations. Wouldn't you be excited to share plan and goals .? Make it a conversation and don't come across as scripted.
Relax, PhD applicants are hardly ever denied.
Have you considered waiting till Fall because funding is more available during this time?
Is your uncle ready to give you the tuition or is he lending you and you have to repay it? You don't have to answer that here, it just a food for thought so that you can think about the broader picture.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Ijebuboy525: 4:14pm On Dec 10, 2017
TWoods:

There is nothing "diplomatic" about a clear lie. That is an abuse of that word. It's silly to encourage him to lie... if he is found out, which would be quite easy to do, he'll be lucky to ever get any US visa again. Perhaps if he had planned better, he would not be in this position today.

Oga Twoods, close ur eyes tell the whole member of this tread that you never lied in any form during your interview, or did you ever told the VO you'll be staying back in the US after your program? Keep the answer to your self. I'm not encouraging lies during interview, the word LIE was included in the dictionary for human to make use of it when necessary, we have white lies, circumstances lies, etc grin... We all understand what it takes to apply to 3 or 4 schools when application fee is involved while you can apply to one school and get admitted, and it's not too good to put your eggs in one basket. When an applicant states he applied to just one school, the VO sees him/her as an unserious and lazy student, that point only can lead to denial. Lie is not good for children of God, if you lie, you'll go to hellfire, but use your brain in everything you do.

Twoods abeg tamper justice with mercy cos Ayam not feeling fine o grin cheesy cool

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 4:15pm On Dec 10, 2017
RoninSignals:

lol you're quite clueless. The VO basically told you that you are being denied because your school is likely on their list of "visa mills" and thus they will simply deny you a visa as long as that is your school of choice... and you're going back next week, WITH THE SAME SCHOOL? grin Well thanks for the free N64,500.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Ijebuboy525: 4:18pm On Dec 10, 2017
aldexrio:
pls house I want to ask after studies what are the chances of securing a good job in US
After your study is US, come back home, Nigeria needs you more than USA

(1) (2) (3) ... (428) (429) (430) (431) (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.