Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,383 members, 7,808,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (432) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (695164 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (429) (430) (431) (432)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 4:19pm On Dec 10, 2017
thefacelessguy:
Hi people,

I've been on this thread for a while and finally my interview is this week.

I've been trying to reach guys for mock interviews but none is forthcoming yet.

So based on likely questions I've seen here, I decided to type out possible answers to likely VO questions.

My Presumed Interview
VO: Pass your documents(i-20, passport and Sevis)
Me: I do as instructed
VO: What are you going for?
Me: I am going for my PhD in Electrical Engineering at the University of Kansas with specialization in Communication and Signal processing.
VO: Why Uokansas?
me: Ans1: My interest has always been in the intersection of Power Engineering and Communication Systems. My previous employment and current job is in this field but I found out UoK while I was part of a research group in my current company which lasted 3months at Elizade University( I would provide the Power Point Slide). The research was to tackle the problem of power theft using PLCC. During the research, I found Dr Erik Perrins work on the subject and it was really helpful. I later spoke with him on my intentions for Graduate Studies which he encouraged and sent me the contact of the Grad Coord. I have been in talks with Pamala Shadoin since then. When I told her of my intentions of getting a PhD after Masters, she told me I could apply for a direct PhD and I gladly did.

A2: UoKansas is a tier 1 public research University and the ECE with core specialization in Communication systems and Signal Processing. Unlike other schools with similar specialization, UoK has it's Signal and processing well defined and further subdivided into 5 subgroups: Communication Systems, Network Systems, Network Engineering, RF and Radar and then Sign Processing. The department also has 3 IEEE fellows with over other 10 faculties working in Communication Systems. Also, the ultra modern the CReSiS laboratory founded since 2005 and funded by the NSF to carry out research monitoring ice sheet layers and effects of Climate Changeo on the Antarctica using Signal Processing technologies is enticing to me as I hope to work and learn using available resources.

(both are true but which is the best?)

VO: What will this course do for you?
Me: This course will help me achieve My ultimate career goal of getting a Doctorate and setting up Communications Laboratory specially suited for Smart Grids in Nigeria and subsequently, other West African Countries.A Smart Grid is basically the conventional power grid but with added communications and networking technologies which makes it easy for Power Distribution Company to optimally deliver power to Customers and also ensure that everyone pays the commensurate amount. Power and Telecommunications are 2major infrastructure lacking in most African countries and I forsee interest by Government and Private Investors in the next 5-10 years which opens up opportunities for people like myself who have needed skillset in that field.

VO: Did you write any standardized tests?
Me: Yes, GREQ161, V154 AWA 4, IELTS 8/9( Provide the documents)

VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: 4- 2 offered me admission (UoK, Montana State) while (UCB and Washington SU did not)
I'm not going to Montana because the Communication Systems there is not as broad as in UoK( Just one faculty does something similar and he is into Optical Communication as opposed to RF and Radar)

VO: I see you have very little funding,($2k) how do you intend to pay your bills?
Me: My Uncle who is a Senior Drilling Engineer at Total E&P Nigeria has been my academic sponsor since my Undergraduate will be sponsoring me( statement of $27k ) and he'd be supported by my Brother (N5m statement)
I also have been in talks with the department about this and the Graduate Coord confirmed that they only provide funding to students that are available and mostly will get a GTA or GRA the next semester (I printed the emails she sent and will provide it)

PS: I reaally don't want to use my Brother's statement.

VO: Where do you work and what do you do?
Me: I work with XYZ Power Distribution Company and my job is in the intersection between Power and ICT as I monitor and provide support for all Prepaid Energy Meters installed in the 4 States of our operation in Nigeria. I monitor each Prepaid Meter User account from the Head office and routinely go to the field when a case requires such. This job role was what influenced the research I was involved in to reduce Power Theft on our Network using PLCC. Also my previous employment was in a Company that worked with Renewable Energy Sources particularly Solar and also provide Internet and Communication services(an ISP) for homes and companies.

VO: Are you married?
Me: No

Expected outcome: Please take this White Paper and get out of Nigeria! smiley

Please I will appreciate your critique, correction and advice. How best should I arrange the answers?

I look forward to your replies.

Thank you all.

Yours is one of the best i have read here so far! Yes, you are unlikely to get a GA/TA because most of them would have been given out in the fall, so yes you've got a good chance to get it in the summer. Your GRE was also really good so go for it!

9 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by justwise(m): 4:22pm On Dec 10, 2017
Part 13 is here https://www.nairaland.com/4225931/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part

This is the end of this part 12.

Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (429) (430) (431) (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.