Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,549 members, 7,809,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:06 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (695243 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 5:18am On Jul 09, 2017
teepee4Him:

@Bold: I love That. Just to add to his comment. I almost had heart attack when I saw my tuition for Spring 2017. I almost started making plans to fly back into naija. But now .............. the rest is history.

Be positive and start with all the steps listed above.

Much Blessings @Femi312 for this piece
Amen and you too
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 5:20am On Jul 09, 2017
mbolajide2010:

Hmmm, the way some Nigerians are always willing to help others; you sometimes wonder if they're the same Nigerians you come across everyday.If we can all act this way in whatever we do Nigeria will be a great country for we all. And there might be no reason why we should leave our dear country for greener pastures.

You are wonderful bro!
That's the least we can do, Nigerians are on both side of the divide. I have met some very good and some very bad.It is left to us to choose the side we want to be on.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by aadeyi: 5:32am On Jul 09, 2017
anodebeanthony:
PLEASE GUYS I NEED YOUR HELP

I made a mistake on my DS160 and I already submit and booked for interview. Is there a way to edit it or cancel that one and fill another?

I KNOW B4 YOU CALL MAIL THE EMBASSY TELL THEM ABOUT THIS MISTAKE BY FILLING ANOTHER DS160 AND ASK THEM TO CHANGE IT FOR YOU BUT I AM NOT SURE IF THIS OPTION IS STILL AVAILABLE

MY ADVISE WILL BE, FILL ANOTHER DS160 AND THEN MAIL THE EMBASSY WITH THE NEW CODE REQUESTING THAT THEY REPLACE IT WITH THE OLD ONE.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Fatezee(f): 5:56am On Jul 09, 2017
teepee4Him:

@Bold: I love That. Just to add to his comment. I almost had heart attack when I saw my tuition for Spring 2017. I almost started making plans to fly back into naija. But now .............. the rest is history.

Be positive and start with all the steps listed above.

Much Blessings @Femi312 for this piece

Kindly share the story, it might also help some prospective Students here.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 09, 2017
aadeyi:

I don't think you should be having issue once you can convince the VO why you are sponsoring yourself and how you have been able to get the funds. but it would be nice if you can also present a joint sponsor as well..
Self-sponsor is the best at the embassy. It means you're economically balanced to support yourself and that they should worry not.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:02am On Jul 09, 2017
DeeTus:
Self-sponsor is the best at the embassy. It means you're economically balanced to support yourself and that they should worry not.

In an ideal world Self sponsor is the best especially if you have evidence to prove it

In reality it the hardest to sell in my opinion...i would never advice it . Find someone to be or act as a sponsor or joint sponsor ...cc Simbrave , fayttyferano

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by mathewakin123: 10:18am On Jul 09, 2017
[quote author=Rheenah post=58249120]
U mean cleveland ohio?[/quote
Yeah
]

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 09, 2017
LagosismyHome:

In an idea world Self sponsor is the best especially if you have evidence to prove it

In reality it the hardest to sell in my opinion...i would never advice it . Find someone to be or act as a sponsor or joint sponsor ...cc Simbrave , fayttyferano
Not the hardest but simplest. If you have a flamboyant bank statement, no embassy would stop you. About 23% of F1 visas are being turned down for insufficient funds.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by folmus: 10:36am On Jul 09, 2017
femi312:
There is this saying that says ''If we don't fight we have failed, but if we fight we can either fail or succeed''. So forget the tuition part for now and put in some work. First, you need to decide on the course you want to study, To save you some stress start from this website http://graddecision.org/ to know the application process, So step 1) Decide on the course you want to study 2) Search for schools using a)www.msinus.com (open this website with a laptop, you should see a list of school and ranking for some of the most common courses, you can start from there b)www.gradschools.com c)www.google.com (you can just type 'msc in bla bla in the us in google' d) www.usnews.com e) www.4icu.org . 3) check up the website of the schools you find, to see the requirements. most schools will require GRE and some will require both gre and toefl . 4) Register for standardize exam and take it. You can register for gre as soon as you are ready and prepared to take the exam. Its done online at www.ets.org. You can also get all the information you need about the exam on the website. You will get adequate materials to prepare for the exam in this dropbox I created https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9ot6d07hp1lkm7/AADL_dTihjEvNBRCBsmAcoXja?dl=0

TOEFL is an English test required by some US universities. though, some schools waive due to the fact that Nigeria is an Anglophone country.
For toefl, all you need are the speaking noteful videos in the link below, the ets toefl guide is enough to ace the exam for other sections. Just download the toefl ETS Guide from there website and the simulation test.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45tvc3ifi8wh8sh/AACXR5j6l3nsWK8vZx5P28TVa?dl=0

As for the Tuition, if you have good results (GRE, GPA, Toefl), SOP and LOR; US schools do offer assistanship to graduate students. This can either be Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant or Administrative Assistant. Depending on the school, if you get an assistantship, your Tuition will be waived and you will also be paid a monthly stipend that can take care of your living expenses. One advice, once you shortlist schools, send emails to the grad cord of the schools and ask specific questions relating to that course and funding opportunities, be very explicit.

Lastly, there are basically 2 admission session in the US, Spring (Jan) and Fall (August). Schools admit more students in Fall, so Its advisable you plan towards Fall 2018. If you plan to resume in fall 2018, make sure you submit all your application documents before ending of Dec 2017. If you don't give it a trial, you will never know.My philosophy in life is to always do my part, with that I don't get to regret later. Above all, if you believe in God,pray to him..if not, good for you.

If you have any question, drop it here and you should get more than one good answer.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by folmus: 10:41am On Jul 09, 2017
DeeTus:
Not the hardest but simplest. If you have a flamboyant bank statement, no embassy would stop you. About 23% of F1 visas are being turned down for insufficient funds.

I think LagosismyHome has done justice to the explanation. We are not in an ideal situation. How many people can self-sponsor themselves with our soci-economic situation? (which is important in getting a visa). In an ideal situation, nobody will deny you visa with your financial evidence and the sustainability of the the source of the finance in your absence while studying.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:48am On Jul 09, 2017
DeeTus:

Flamboyant bank statement.....but how many bank statement are been looked out or asked in f1 student
Visa interview .... The VO gives you 2 mins per interview

Not sure where you got the figure of 23 %.... that speculation as only the embassy has such an information. Also they rarely check financial as they leave that responsibility to the school to do that before the i20 is issued

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by mathewakin123: 10:50am On Jul 09, 2017
Morning pals how much is $200 in black market as at now plz I need and quick ans
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:51am On Jul 09, 2017
folmus:

I think LagosismyHome has done justice to the explanation. We are not in an ideal situation. How many people can self-sponsor themselves with our soci-economic situation? (which is important in getting a visa). In an ideal situation, nobody will deny you visa with your financial evidence and the sustainability of the the source of the finance in your absence while studying.

At bold ...gbam and that the basis of it. The Vo live in nigeria and see what around them..... hence why i think its the hardest to convince
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 09, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Flamboyant bank statement.....but how many bank statement are been looked out or asked in f1 student
Visa interview .... The VO gives you 2 mins per interview

Not sure where you got the figure of 23 %.... that speculation as only the embassy has such an information. Also they rarely check financial as they leave that responsibility to the school to do that before the i20 is issued
The VOs look at the information you supplied on the computer first before making a decision whether to grant or deny application. Then talks to you to verify it. This is particularly why some interviews are so short, while others are long.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 09, 2017
folmus:

I did not talk about the number of candidates. I only talked about "self-sponsor" because she thinks it's not good enough when heading to the embassy for visa.

Try to comprehend well next time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Okesima24: 12:00pm On Jul 09, 2017
Morning guys. So happy for everyone receiving visa and the rest of us still hopeful. This thread will have more testimonies than the others.
If you can remember, I am the one who said the vo in Abuja embassy didn’t return my passport after denying me visa. Some people didn't beliveve me and some even made fun that I probably lost my passport because of the disappointment of being denied. Well after many mails and calls, and through the help of some people here, the embassy finally sent mail for me to pick up my passport at DHL office. However a letter was attached to that mail which says I can reapply at no cost and come with some documents and so on.
So I want to ask if this has happened before and what does it mean, and how do I go about applying at no cost?
I also need help from in house gurus on preparing for the interview again.
Thanks

11 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ukrsc: 12:21pm On Jul 09, 2017
Morning house.
Need advice
Interview tomorrow...
I am a graduate of uni of lags computer science ...Applied for a nursing course at a college in texas.. I have being to the US once. . Pls any likly advice or possible questions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:32pm On Jul 09, 2017
ukrsc:
Morning house.
Need advice
Interview tomorrow...
I am a graduate of uni of lags computer science ...Applied for a nursing course at a college in texas.. I have being to the US once. . Pls any likly advice or possible questions.

From bsc computer why move to nursing.... hopefully you are prepared with a good reason .... nursing is not that easy too break through if you need h1b. I think there is a misconception that all nurses in d usa get work immediately

Computer Science is also a good field with good prospects ...anyway trust you gone through transcript and what is left is to go give it your best tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Gbemisolarh(f): 1:00pm On Jul 09, 2017
Pls I need someone that applied and got admitted at UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL MISSOURI PLS.....I need some one to guide me...

And if I apply now and upload all necessary documents for SPRING 2018....when will I be admitted

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Gbemisolarh(f): 1:03pm On Jul 09, 2017
Has anyone ever used GLOBAL EDUCATION for evaluation of Transcript please?

How did you go about it?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by freshyabstel: 1:19pm On Jul 09, 2017
tizzdi:
agura hotel... Reiz continental hotel...

Agura hotel is around 15k and reiz hotel is around 20k, so the two hotels are far above his budget.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by freshyabstel: 1:46pm On Jul 09, 2017
Gbemisolarh:
Has anyone ever used GLOBAL EDUCATION for evaluation of Transcript please?

How did you go about it?

I used ECE and it was superb. I would advise u use them. Thank u

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by gaviria: 1:49pm On Jul 09, 2017
DeeTus:
I did not talk about the number of candidates. I only talked about "self-sponsor" because she thinks it's not good enough when heading to the embassy for visa.

Try to comprehend well next time.
I think she comprehends very well because I understood what she said and it made sense. How many people have you seen that the VO asked for their bank statements? At least in recent time on this thread, not much and we can maybe count those that were asked for bank statement in Part 11 in one hand. And you won't fill in your bank account balance nor that of your sponsor in the DS-160 form. When you say you're going for your masters or whatever and you're sponsoring yourself, you have to give the VO a very lucrative business or how successful you've been to have made that kind of money. Some VOs won't ask, they'll just conclude that you don't have sufficient funds if you say you're self sponsoring, others might ask and others might conclude in your favor that you probably have the finances to sponsor yourself. I think what she and lagosismyhome meant was that instead of you putting yourself at the mercy of the VOs assumption, it's better/safer to have a joint sponsor, someone older and with obviously longer experience in the labor market to have made enough money to sponsor you. I'm not saying self sponsoring denies you visa or not good enough I'm just saying to be on a safer side, and again it depends on the type of job you want to tell the VO you're doing that earns you enough to self sponsor.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by neurosci: 2:05pm On Jul 09, 2017
LagosismyHome:

From bsc computer why move to nursing.... hopefully you are prepared with a good reason .... nursing is not that easy too break through if you need h1b. I think there is a misconception that all nurses in d usa get work immediately

LagosismyHome, I want to know more about this. Please, tell me more by expatiating.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TheLee(f): 2:06pm On Jul 09, 2017
Anyone currently in Georgia Southern University please? Or about to go?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 09, 2017
gaviria:

I think she comprehends very well because I understood what she said and it made sense. How many people have you seen that the VO asked for their bank statements? At least in recent time on this thread, not much and we can maybe count those that were asked for bank statement in Part 11 in one hand. And you won't fill in your bank account balance nor that of your sponsor in the DS-160 form. When you say you're going for your masters or whatever and you're sponsoring yourself, you have to give the VO a very lucrative business or how successful you've been to have made that kind of money. Some VOs won't ask, they'll just conclude that you don't have sufficient funds if you say you're self sponsoring, others might ask and others might conclude in your favor that you probably have the finances to sponsor yourself. I think what she and lagosismyhome meant was that instead of you putting yourself at the mercy of the VOs assumption, it's better/safer to have a joint sponsor, someone older and with obviously longer experience in the labor market to have made enough money to sponsor you. I'm not saying self sponsoring denies you visa or not good enough I'm just saying to be on a safer side, and again it depends on the type of job you want to tell the VO you're doing that earns you enough to self sponsor.
If you graduated last five years for instance and have a suitable and good income to sponsor yourself, why would you look for someone else to do that? Why should you fill that someone else is sponsoring you? Even going to a old person?

Look, the reason most people use somebody else as a sponsor is because of insufficient funds in their statement of account. They do not have enough money in their account and this is a fact, not a speculation!

I have a friend who is a lawyer and because he has enough money in his account, he applied as self-sponsor and the VO who interviewed was full of smile and did not ask to see his bank statement.

Try to understand what I am saying here. It's not a bad idea with regard to self-sponsor. It makes your application much stronger.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:16pm On Jul 09, 2017
neurosci:

LagosismyHome, I want to know more about this. Please, tell me more by expatiating.

Some years ago in the US there was truly a shortage of nurses so fresh nursing graduate got jobs immediately...when i mean immediately. It was almost automatic . Whether u needed h1b or not, it was easy and those who were on h1b got their green card shortly

Now supply and demand has changed it a bit.... it is not like before. Even the american nursing graduate are feeling the competition to get in.how much more those who need h1b .... now most nursing post require at least 1 years of work experience or other things that raises the bar and make it more competitive ....

people still get job . Sure i am not saying that . But word on the street, its not as easy/automatic as before

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by neurosci: 2:28pm On Jul 09, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Some years ago in the US there was truly a shortage of nurses so fresh nursing graduate got jobs immediately...when i mean immediately. It was almost automatic . Whether u needed h1b or not, it was easy and those who were on h1b got their green card shortly

Now supply and demand has changed it a bit.... it is not like before. Even the american nursing graduate are feeling the competition to get in.how much more those who need h1b .... now most nursing post require at least 1 years of work experience or other things that raises the bar and make it more competitive ....

people still get job . Sure i am not saying that . But word on the street, its not as easy/automatic as before

Okay, thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Ayindesegun10(m): 3:00pm On Jul 09, 2017
Wow, finally caught up, hoping to join this wonderful family. I'll try as much to help others with the little info I know. And I'm also going for spring 2018. Good to be with you guys. cheesy wink

#Spring2018 #Undergraduate

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by princeGee23: 3:24pm On Jul 09, 2017
AM still here with the family, trying to arrange things against #fall2017 and catching up from where i stopped in part 11... I don't wanna be caught off guard....

God bless all for the wonderful contribution so far.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by samieola: 3:28pm On Jul 09, 2017
samieola:
Please bros in d ouse I nid vital info on admission into california state uni east bay(CSUEASTBAY). Going in for MSc in Applied maths for fall 2017. Is d skool a gud skool for msc? ws given a conditional admission. And has anyone here got admitted to the skool for msc? pls I nid helpful info on dat. Thnx.
Una kana 4 dis thread no reply to my questions. Na wa oooo......na big wa.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.