Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,817 members, 7,802,619 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Group Caught In Western Union Scam - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Group Caught In Western Union Scam (4373 Views)

GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking / Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira / How Do I Receive Money Via Western Union Money Transfer/moneygram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Group Caught In Western Union Scam by my2cents(m): 5:40pm On Feb 05, 2007
When I first heard that paypal had put Nigeria on its black list, I was pissed off, to say the least. Now, having read this article on how some pple defrauded Western Union (link below), it makes me reconsider. Perhaps we deserved it after all.

Think about it. For every case that happens, the sender has to ask Western Union for a refund. As the aim of every business is to make money, it is only a matter of time before they put Nigeria on the black list. Either that, or they charge more to send money, in part to cover such refunds.

Why, oh why do some of us have to give our beloved country a bad name? Thanks to western union, those of us in the diaspora have been able to seamlessly and safely send money back home. Why spoil a good thing biko? Or are those of us back home still under the impression that we walk up to the mythical money tree in our backyards every morning to shake off a few bucks before heading to work?

http://odili.net/news/source/2007/feb/3/605.html
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by naijacutee(f): 2:33am On Feb 06, 2007
This is disheartening. . . That now, even the bank cannot be trusted. Like you, I think that it will only be a matter of time until we get on the Western Unionblacklist. Once again, the baby will be thrown out with the bath water. embarassed embarassed embarassed

I'm embarrased on behalf of my nation.
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by Ndipe(m): 4:06am On Feb 06, 2007
Another setback for us. How will Nigerians abroad fare if Western Union decides to blacklist us? Omo, it wont be easy.
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by eniola1310(f): 3:05pm On Feb 06, 2007
relax guys, western union CANNOT blacklist nigeria. the worst they can do is take the license from some of their agents. this is because western union make a lot of money from all these yahoo boys. i am a western union officer and i know these things.
the only reason this issue became a noise is because the senders requested for their money back.
Dont mnd western union, they are thieves themselves

1 Like

Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by my2cents(m): 3:59pm On Feb 06, 2007
Eniola,

Let's hope you are right about WU not pulling out. It sure would be a setback. As for WU being "thieves themselves", I would beg to differ if I may:

When it comes to sending money, you have choices - mailing cash, wiring b/w accounts, giving it to someone who is travelling home, taking the money there yourself. None of these are as convenient as wiring money electronically. Now, the aim of every business is to make money. How much you ask? It's up for them to decide and for the consumer to make a choice as to whether or not they can live the price for their services/products. If you think WU is charging too much, use one of the aforementioned methods for sending money, or better yet, don't send at all. Just don't bash a company because you may feel (and I am pulling at straws here) they are charging too much.

WU is providing a service, a convenient one at that. If this kind of scam continues, they may end up increasing their rates, so as to offset such scams. In the end, we the consumer suffer.
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by Loads: 11:09pm On Feb 06, 2007
Mycent,
Western Union is a big rip off. I leave in London and I stopped using then since 1999 when competition started springing up everywhere. We have better services here in London exchange rate is superb and your recipient receives the money instantly from one of the top banks. Maybe you and some of your guys should think about setting something up in Yankee to compete with western union. Western Union will never pull out of Nigeria not in a million years they make more money than they give out in compensation the worst they can do like Eniola said is to expell some of the bad agents. Paypal has not figured out how lucrative the nigerian market is that is why they suspended us, when they do mark my word they will be back. I am not saying this because I support the people that disgrace our nation with all the ungodly acts of shame. They are a disgrace to their families, friends and country.
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by my2cents(m): 4:26am On Feb 07, 2007
Loads (dare I say Lords of London? wink)

I stopped using then since 1999 when competition started springing up everywhere
I believe I have mentioned up top something about us as humans having a choice? tongue

Maybe you and some of your guys should think about setting something up in Yankee to compete with western union

Already exists: Home Access and Moneygram, and perhaps many more which I don't know

they make more money than they give out in compensation
So does the US embassy, yet see how many people will be lining up along Eleke Crescent at 4am on any given morning.

Paypal has not figured out how lucrative the nigerian market is that is why they suspended us, when they do mark my word they will be back
I pray you are right. In the meantime, to make them know how much they are losing, rather than want them to come back, how about we come up with a solution of our own (of, for and by Nigerians)?

They are a disgrace to their families, friends and country.
Thanks for finally sticking to the point of the thread cool
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by Ndipe(m): 6:02am On Feb 07, 2007
I dont like moneygram. I have used their services once, and it was a disappointment. Other than a trusted fellow going home, Western Union is the next bet to send money.
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by loml: 2:26pm On Feb 08, 2007
……….hmmm i like the progress on this thread, it is very good. one point struck me though why can’t we start our own paypal for nigerians by nigerians
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by LoverBwoy(m): 2:57pm On Feb 08, 2007
loml:

……….hmmm i like the progress on this thread, it is very good. one point struck me though why can’t we start our own paypal for nigerians by nigerians

trust is a very hard thing to buy wink

Eniola, you seem to be supporting what theyve done, just they way people say yahoo yahoo people are not that bad since the other party is greedy- typical!

I dont use western union but the way things are paypal and even other nigerians trying to set up a money transfer outlets to provide better competition will be well aware of these acts, some might just pull out whilst others wont offer lower prices just in case things like these happen

WU can pull out, it might be a difficult option but they can! no organisation want to be involved with shady deals, they can easily increase their utlets in others african countries and reduce their price and make good profit still!

relax guys, western union CANNOT blacklist nigeria. the worst they can do is take the license from some of their agents. this is because western union make a lot of money from all these yahoo boys. i am a western union officer and i know these things.
the only reason this issue became a noise is because the senders requested for their money back.
Dont mnd western union, they are thieves themselves

someone working for a thief is a . . . .? cool
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by superman(m): 10:58pm On Feb 08, 2007
I THINK SOME PPL JUST LIKE MISASSIMILATIN STUFF JUST FOR FUN!

TAKE eniola1310 for eg

her message is straight i think! pls dnt take it for a joke, its just that nigerians are being foolish and selfish! now check the indian low charge and high exchange rate, i guess their ppl patronise it ALL THE TIME.

now at some point i was watchin a programme on TV about concord flight before it was grounded ! the operators said in the documentary that they dnt know how much they will chargin their constumers and they say like oh maybe ehmm 15,000 pounds and they like damn i cant beleive ppl will pay that amout for a flight and guess what , they like oh well we leave the fare like that since they are willing to pay! now superman says once again ur oyibo man on it again!!!! RIP OFF RIP OFF RIP OFF THATS RIGHT! U LAUGH YEYE

so once again nigerians pls stand up !!!
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by eniola1310(f): 12:07pm On Feb 09, 2007
LoverBwoy:

trust is a very hard thing to buy wink

Eniola, you seem to be supporting what theyve done, just they way people say yahoo yahoo people are not that bad since the other party is greedy- typical!

I don't use western union but the way things are paypal and even other nigerians trying to set up a money transfer outlets to provide better competition will be well aware of these acts, some might just pull out whilst others wont offer lower prices just in case things like these happen

WU can pull out, it might be a difficult option but they can! no organisation want to be involved with shady deals, they can easily increase their utlets in others african countries and reduce their price and make good profit still!

someone working for a thief is a . . . .? cool

Sorry to dissappoint u bro, i'm not in support of yahoo boys.
since u didnt complete ur last statement i'll assume u were not planing to make sense at all.
pple here are just airing their views concerning western union and all u can do is read my posts and make conclusions about me.
since i'm a WU officer i see myself in a better position to give the true pic of what goes on there.
my job is not tied to WU, it just happens that i'm there now. i can leave any time

too bad u find it so so difficult to assililate something as simple as that.

1 Like

Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by LoverBwoy(m): 3:23pm On Feb 09, 2007
I was actually hoping you had enough sense to complete the statement

you are not in anyway benefiting from WU are you? if you think the organisation you are working with is into shady business i wonder why you havent left since you said you can

If the prices they charge are on the high side there are many other options, it will be easy to conclude that all other money transfer companies start business in nigeria to steal money from customers going by the way you put it.
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by eniola1310(f): 4:28pm On Feb 09, 2007
@LoverBwoy

This is not what this thread is meant for.
ok?
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by alabiyemmy(m): 4:31pm On Feb 09, 2007
, i am sure someone somewhere will blame the government or even OBJ for this.
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 09, 2007
the case of frauds in banks has a lot to do with the banks themselves imagine cases where bankers now orchestrate this awful activities.
Re: Group Caught In Western Union Scam by promise72(m): 10:55am On Feb 11, 2007
Now we all see. B4 we start blaming oyibo for hating us we need 2 look inside us. Nigerians are more problem to Nigeria than anybody else. N o matter where we are, trouble is not too far behind. As far as life goes, trust is everything especially in business.

(1) (Reply)

CBN Reforms To Yield Results In Q2 – Cedrus Boss, Olubusayo Adeniyi / Timely and Efficient Pick-up And Delivery Services / What Are The 5 Hottest Niche Market In Nigeria Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.