Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,799 members, 7,806,211 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Do We Really Use Only 10 Percent Of Our Brain? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do We Really Use Only 10 Percent Of Our Brain? (610 Views)

JAMB: 72.2 Percent Scored Below 50% And 49,245 UTME Results Withheld / Shocking!things We Do Regularly That Damage Our Brain. / Facts We Really Need To Know About Slavery. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do We Really Use Only 10 Percent Of Our Brain? by Adekanyeope: 12:31am On Jul 08, 2017
In one survey, 65% of respondents agreed with the statement: "People use only 10% of their brain" But the truth is that we use all of our brain all the time.

How do we know?

Okay see for instant if we only needed 10% of the brain, the majority of the brain damage would have no discernible consequence, as the damage would affect parts of the brain that did nothing to begin with.
We also know that natural selection discourages the development of unnecessary anatomical structures: the first humans who devoted limited physical resources to the growth and maintenance of enormous quantities of surplus brain tissue would have been stripped by those who spent these precious resources on things more necessary for survival and reproduction Success.

Stronger immune systems, stronger muscles, thinner hair - just about anything would be more useful than having a head full of inert tissue.
We were able to safeguard these logical conclusions with tangible evidence. Imaging techniques, such as Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), allow doctors and scientists to map brain activity in real time.

The data clearly show that vast areas of the brain - well over 10 per cent - are used for all sorts of activities, from seemingly simple tasks such as resting or searching images to more complex Reading or performing mathematics. Scientists are yet to find an area of ​​the brain that does nothing.
So how did he come to believe that 90 percent of our brain is useless? The myth is often attributed to the psychologist William James of the 19th century, who proposed that most of our mental potentials are untapped. But then, he never specified a percentage.

Albert Einstein - a magnet for the misattribution of quotations - was also held accountable. In reality, the concept probably came from the US self-help industry. One of the first mentions appears in Dale Carnegie's preface to 1926's great salesman, How to Win Friends and Influence People.

The idea that we have harnessed only a fraction of our brain’s full potential has been a staple for motivational gurus, New Age hucksters, and uninspired screenwriters ever since.

Obviously, this is bad news for those who wish to find the secret to become a genius overnight. The good news, however, is that hard work still works. There are many reasons to believe that you can create intellectual ability by working regularly on difficult mental tasks, such as playing a musical instrument, performing arithmetic or reading a novel

Source: http://gistbox24.com/2017/07/07/do-we-really-use-only-10-percent-of-our-brain/

CC:
Seun, Lalasticlala

Re: Do We Really Use Only 10 Percent Of Our Brain? by Nobody: 4:52am On Jul 08, 2017
I read through the blog post, captivating entry! The delivery of the central text was good, but I'm still being sceptical about the "ending".

To be frank, you no take your time write this thing. You just quickly sum up something unto say you wan post for your blog. I could feel it because I often do the same sometimes too.

I was enjoying the article until you killed it abruptly. Work on your "ending" bro.
Re: Do We Really Use Only 10 Percent Of Our Brain? by Adekanyeope: 8:17am On Jul 08, 2017
Thanks, I will see through that.
Victurh:
I read through the blog post, captivating entry! The delivery of the central text was good, but I'm still being sceptical about the "ending".

To be frank, you no take your time write this thing. You just quickly sum up something unto say you wan post for your blog. I could feel it because I often do the same sometimes too.

I was enjoying the article until you killed it abruptly. Work on your "ending" bro.

(1) (Reply)

Tasued Part-time Programmes Admission Form And Screening Date 2017/2018 / Info / After All The Stress Of Writing Your B.sc Or M.sc Project, This Is Where It Ends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.