Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,869 members, 7,798,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo (1911 Views)

Nigeria Needs Struggle, Not Restructuring – Osoba / Buhari/APC: Your Problems Are Nepotism, Aborted Change, Not Order 06 - Ikhide / Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by coptic: 1:06am On Jul 08, 2017
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Friday disagreed with those calling for the restructuring of Nigeria, saying the same social crises bedeviling the country would persist in a restructured country associated with injustice, impunity and bad governance.

Obasanjo, who was guest of the Chairman of Lee Engineering and Construction Company Limited, Chief Leemon Ikpea, spoke at the palace of the Olu of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli, in Warri.

The ex- President said he sees nothing wrong with a united Nigeria.

Reacting to a speech delivered on behalf of the monarch by Chief Brown Mene, during the reception organized in his honour, Obasanjo commended the Itsekiri people for their perseverance and decision to stand against any divisive agitation, despite their complaints against marginalisation and demand for better treatment and equity.

He restated his believe that the country’s problems could be resolved through dialogue and negotiations and not through secession.

Obasanjo said: “I believe that we can solve all our problems through dialogue, engagement, discussion and conversation. As you rightly remarked, I participated in the civil war and I said never again will I participate in any civil war again in my life.

“It was gruesome, it was destructive and it was deadly. The people who are now clamouring for whatever they are clamouring for don’t even know what war means. They don’t. Anybody who has seen the devastation of war, the destruction of war and the mindlessness of war will never want to see a war again and may we never have another war again.

“The answer to most of our problems is mindset change and change of mentally. If we need any restructuring, it is the restructuring of our mindset and mentality. How will anybody in his right senses believe separation is the way out?

“We have passed that stage. We have problems, there are many ways we can solve them. It is our diversity that makes us a great country. I won’t want a Nigeria where we dance same juju, or wear same attire. Our strength is in our diversity.

“Some progress is being made in spite of our difficulties and problems, we need to make greater progress than we have made before. If we do that we’ll have good governance, there’ll be no impunity, everybody will have a sense of belonging and a stake in this project called Nigeria. Nothing is wrong with Nigeria, rather a lot is wrong with Nigerians. We need to correct what is wrong with Nigerians. Some of us have to speak up because if things are wrong and you don’t speak up, then you have become an accomplice.

“Dismemberment of Nigeria is not good enough. Harmony and cohesion in Nigeria is what we should substitute for dismemberment. Inequity, injustice or unfairness are not good enough, we should substitute them with equity, fairness, good government and lack of impunity.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/nigeria-needs-mindset-change-not-restructuring-obasanjo/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by coptic: 1:23am On Jul 08, 2017
Well, one Nigeria for me has always been a dream.

However, one section of the country killing fellow countrymen in the name of religion, as a conquest, and for whatever reason is a threat to that.

In the middle belt for one, it is either Nigeria tackles the Fulani herdsmen brouhaha, or the people seek a country of their own where they can promulgate their own laws by which every Fulani person MUST abide.

I'd rather live in my own small space and be at peace than be in an almost 1m square km of land area and still feel threatened in my own backyard.

It's not so hard to live in peace with one another. But when religion ranks above all else - including human life - then there's bound to be a problem.

Everyone must be respected and made to feel a part.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by cosby02(m): 1:42am On Jul 08, 2017
Im pleased to announce to my fellow Nigerians that i care less about one Nigeria,Biafra,Oduduwa or Arewa....just wana be the best father my unborn children will be proud of. To hell with those shouting one Nigeria n f**k Pro Biafrans. undecided angry

Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by kn23h(m): 2:17am On Jul 08, 2017
I respectfully disagree with Obasanjo on this one.

If Nigerians need to change their mindset, it needs to begin with our pseduo-leaders and politicians. This is beginning to sound stale, but corruption needs to be tackled, our leaders need to travel to see what their mates are doing, and they need to invest in Nigerian civilians.

Lack thereof is what we're seeing now.... cultist-like activities in the East, Fulani killings in every region, and loudmouthed self-acclaimed leaders like Fayoshi and Fidi Fanny Kayoshi.

Let me not even get started on greedy idiots like Gani Adams and Afenifere.

Either way, Let the flat heads go their way, Yorubas their way, Abokis to the left, etc. It's too late for a restructure.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by respected017: 2:30am On Jul 08, 2017
Shut up there.. Hypocrite
Remove the rafter from your eyes, then you can clearly see the straw in the eyes of Nigerians
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by whitebeard(m): 2:39am On Jul 08, 2017
cosby02:
Im pleased to announce to my fellow Nigerians that i care less about one Nigeria,Biafra,Oduduwa or Arewa....just wana be the best father my unborn children will be proud of. To hell with those shouting one Nigeria n f**k Pro Biafrans. undecided angry
congrats, nice father..!!

Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by WhoRUDeceiving: 2:39am On Jul 08, 2017
He should have said the Nigger Area don phuck up

Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by whitebeard(m): 2:40am On Jul 08, 2017
I dont like any Nigerian politician, but obj has a point, if u need proof just look at the comments above...!!
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by WhoRUDeceiving: 2:48am On Jul 08, 2017
whitebeard:
I dont like any Nigerian politician, but obj has a point, if u need proof just look at the comments above...!!

Just look at your own comment, so Nigerian politicians are what? And your British created "country" is what nko?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by whitebeard(m): 2:52am On Jul 08, 2017
WhoRUDeceiving:

Just look at your own comment, so Nigerian politicians are what? And your British created "country" is what nko?
abeg abeg carry tour Jew mentality outta here, no dey discuss Nigerian matter, abeg go find KANU no disturb me, and if u later want to claim to be a Nigerian, I think u are not getting the point of the discussion.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by kn23h(m): 2:57am On Jul 08, 2017
whitebeard:
abeg abeg carry tour Jew mentality outta here, no dey discuss Nigerian matter, abeg go find KANU no disturb me, and if u later want to claim to be a Nigerian, I think u are not getting the point of the discussion.

Lol I for say.... what's the correlation between his reply and that your post he quoted.

Ipod jews sha
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by Dedetwo(m): 3:01am On Jul 08, 2017
Those people who want stay with the so-called united Nigeria are to do so however Ndigbo have resolutely resolved to have either Republic of Igbo Land or Biafra. Not every dumbass fool will become a Biafra. Of course, Obasanjo will not see anything wrong with amalgamation.
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by Desyner: 3:02am On Jul 08, 2017
Devilish talk. How will change of mindset stop radicalized islamist accessing free oil money from building mosques or looting it. What we av in Nigeria is a breakdown of leadership and not from the followers.
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by kn23h(m): 3:06am On Jul 08, 2017
Desyner:
Devilish talk. How will change of mindset stop radicalized islamist accessing free oil money from building mosques or looting it. What we av in Nigeria is a breakdown of leadership and not from the followers.

Ipob jews too dey romance SS oil grin grin
They will soon come with their stale anamabran and imo coconut oil comments. grin
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by tomakint: 3:07am On Jul 08, 2017
See who is advising Nigerians sad sad indeed this Country can be likened to a zoo in the true sense of it. It is a big fact that 75% of Nigeria's problems are traceable to Obasanjo and the major one that had rendered this great Country powerless and unproductive for years was the manipulations his demonic cabal tainted military government of 1979 that rigged the Presidential Elections to favour a dullard, Shagari, to emerge as President by all means then drafting a Presidential System Of Government 1979 Constitution forcefully for this same Shagari which eventually gave birth to the warped and vision less 1999 Constitution that eventually birthed Sharia. Indeed Obasanjo has no shame and its because 80% of Nigerian youths don't read and think deep.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by Atouke: 3:08am On Jul 08, 2017
Obasanjo needs a mindset change from corruption.
Where did he get money to build bells university?
Obama, david cameron , etc do not own universities.
BELLS UNIVERSITY OTA = product of corruption. And will begat corrupt nigerian graduates who will aspire to steal like obasanjo
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by WhoRUDeceiving: 3:12am On Jul 08, 2017
whitebeard:

Yep, apparently your MIND SET like those in the Nigger Area hasn't changed after all. Complacent, childish you continue as.

But later if you want to be a Biafran, in fact, you cannot.

Enjoy AMALA Afonja

Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by kn23h(m): 3:13am On Jul 08, 2017
tomakint:
See who is advising Nigerians sad sad indeed this Country can be likened to a zoo in the true sense of it. It is a big fact that 75% of Nigeria's problems are traceable to Obasanjo and the major one that had rendered this great Country powerless and unproductive for years was the manipulations his demonic cabal tainted military government of 1979 that rigged the Presidential Elections to favour a dullard, Shagari, to emerge as President by all means then drafting a Presidential System Of Government 1979 Constitution forcefully for this same Shagari which eventually gave birth to the warped and vision less 1999 Constitution that eventually birthed Sharia. Indeed Obasanjo has no shame and its because 80% of Nigerian youths don't read and think deep.

As a Yoruba person, I agree that OBJ is a problem like other politicians. But when did he stop presiding over Nigeria? When will each region's present/previous leaders take accountability for their retrogression?
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by Desyner: 3:18am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

Ipob jews too dey romance SS oil grin grin
They will soon come with their stale anamabran and imo coconut oil comments. grin
Grow up. This isn't about IPOD. Look at Osun state now. The governor borrowed based on oil earning projection because it was free money and mismanaged it all.
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by kn23h(m): 3:28am On Jul 08, 2017
Desyner:
Grow up. This isn't about IPOD. Look at Osun state now. The governor borrowed based on oil earning projection because it was free money and mismanaged it all.

This isn't about Osun state. Look at other SE states. Don't they state oil allocation money?
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by WhoRUDeceiving: 3:30am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

This isn't about Osun state. Look at other SE states. Don't they state oil allocation money?

BUT he is telling you about the toilet in your house that needs to be flushed? Can you accept that first before pointing to your neighbor that does not even have a toilet...
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by fineboynl(m): 3:39am On Jul 08, 2017
afojan the unity beggars.

this man is forgetting that he is the problem of Nigeria democracy. how he ring all the elections across the country. imposing candidate on the people that shouldn't be.

he has helped to bring all the president that oversees the country since he left office and we are still battling and patching the same problem.

from 1990 nothing has change. trillions of dollars has been drain since Nigeria is independent. take it from me those that are benefiting from the system want the statuesque. way those that are checking out are those that are not benefiting. I have said it before that afojan needs one Nigeria more than the north let say the truth. they are afraid of losing Lagos status of Nigeria should break.

without south east and south south no Lagos.

obj has been against atiku. and I have come to realized that we have supported him for too long. if Nigeria should still be existing before 2019. Nigeria should support the candidate obj is against before things would be better than.
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by Warship: 3:45am On Jul 08, 2017
Obasanjo the illiterate soldier that doesn't understand the meaning of Restructuring
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by 1Rebel: 3:47am On Jul 08, 2017
The people who are so keen on keeping nigeria one can be dividied into two categories.

1) The ones who are benefiting from the fraudulent entity.

2) The ignorant illiterates who have never left the shores of this failed scam called nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by hammer6: 4:29am On Jul 08, 2017
Who are the Nigeria and wat is Nigeria?

An entire region say they are not Nigeria and u are talking about stopping Nnamdi Kanu?

OBJ u are suppose to be retired from politics at 84 years of age, yet u keep making comments that exposes ur dementia.

Nnamdi Kanu is far greater than a treasury looter like urself and mass murderer.

The people of Odi in Bayelsa might have recieved compensation from the state of Nigeria for the Genocide u commited against them but that does not absolve u from being a War Criminal who murdered his own people.

Nexttime, before u jump into the SS/SE affairs or demand stopping the people champion Nnamdi Kanu, u better get it into ur bleeping demented head that Nigeria is not ur property and u are no longer President.
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by Bari22: 6:30am On Jul 08, 2017
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by rose54321: 6:35am On Jul 08, 2017
Baba you fall my hand oh.
We need restructuring, that entitlement mentality had to STOP.
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by Nobody: 6:37am On Jul 08, 2017
it seems he has forgotten when he wanted a third term.
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by orisa37: 6:43am On Jul 08, 2017
Let us adopt The American Presidencial System 100%. And stop fooling ourselves.
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by whitebeard(m): 7:11am On Jul 08, 2017
WhoRUDeceiving:

Yep, apparently your MIND SET like those in the Nigger Area hasn't changed after all. Complacent, childish you continue as.

But later if you want to be a Biafran, in fact, you cannot.

Enjoy AMALA Afonja

ehn..!! Thank u sha dey go, no dey disturb
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by Deedeedee3: 9:11am On Jul 08, 2017
This old foool should better shut his useless mouth. Foolish man. He is one of those eddiots that kept Yoruba people in this country. Assuming he never fought to "keep Nigeria one" but instead assembled some young Yoruba soldiers like him to declare a separate Yoruba country, we would have been far much better than this today. The eediot is yet to realise the stupid mistake he and some stupiid Yorubas made 50 years ago. The Nigeria you all killed yourselves for, tell me how far it has gone today.
Crazy old foolish man should shut his mouth. Nigeria will separate and he must be alive to witness it.
Re: Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo by Terkimbi01: 9:16am On Jul 08, 2017
coptic:
Well, one Nigeria for me has always been a dream.

However, one section of the country killing fellow countrymen in the name of religion, as a conquest, and for whatever reason is a threat to that.

In the middle belt for one, it is either Nigeria tackles the Fulani herdsmen brouhaha, or the people seek a country of their own where they can promulgate their own laws by which every Fulani person MUST abide.

I'd rather live in my own small space and be at peace than be in an almost 1m square km of land area and still feel threatened in my own backyard.

It's not so hard to live in peace with one another. But when religion ranks above all else - including human life - then there's bound to be a problem.

Everyone must be respected and made to feel a part.

Nigerians will soon descend on you and tag you IPOB.

They fail to realise that unity exists when all the stake holders are taken care of.

I am even afraid that they may agree to suspend the killings, then go back to their roundtable and plot a one final swoop on us.

We need to breath fresh air in our own lands.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Tinubu Is Afraid Of Going To Abuja For Close To A Year Now / SHOCKING: The Name Of The Late Governor On PDP Delegates' List / PDP WON Five lgvt Collated So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.