Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,140 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships (22251 Views)

How Does one Handle Evil And Diabolism In Work Environments? / The Biggest Mistakes We Make In Life / 4 Financial Mistakes You’re Probably Making… And Don’t Even Know It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by JARUSHUB: 9:05am On Jul 08, 2017
Building relationships in the workplace can sometimes be tricky; however there are some mistakes you might be making in the process that you should try to avoid. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 biggest mistakes you’re making with work relationships.

Seeing Relationship Building as Unnecessary and as Playing Office Politics

Some people have a negative perception of the art of building work relationships. They believe that they’re above it all and that their knowledge and skills are all they need to excel in the workplace. However, what they fail to understand is that collaboration and large-scale group projects contributes significantly to an organization’s success. That’s why most organizations are largely ‘team-centric’.

Limiting Your Work Circle

Try not to build work relationships with only people in your peer group or people you are similar to. This can be very limiting to you on your career path. Try to develop relationships with people who are not like you – like those in another department, those in different peer groups or those with a skill set different from yours. It doesn’t have to be such a deep relationship, but just something cordial and light-hearted enough to secure yourself a place in their conscious mind.

Forgetting the Place of Performance

Avoid using the relationship card to justify laziness and low performance at work. The point of cultivating good relationships is to better accomplish your goals, not to abandon them all together. A good work relationship can’t make up for a lack of knowledge or skills, and can hardly protect you from being let go if your work performance is disappointingly low. Good work relationships shouldn’t undermine performance.

Making Your Self-Interest Obvious

If in a work relationship, the other person senses you keep doing things because you want something in return, that can end the relationship. Though, self-interest might ultimately be the goal of most work relationships, the point is not to be so blatant with it that it becomes offensive. Keep the needs of the other person in mind and try to give as much as you can with no immediate expectation of return in mind. Make deposits in the person’s emotional bank account so you can draw from it during the inevitable rough times.

Being Opportunistic in Your Relationships

Avoid being too status conscious when building work relationships. Try to build good relationships with your subordinates and people you consider to be ‘low on the food chain’, avoid doing so with only your peers and superiors. Consider the example of a head of department in a business organization, who only got along with his peers and superiors. All his direct reports either feared or genuinely disliked him. The management noticed this and this limited his effectiveness and growth in the organization, because a leader is only as good as the people he’s leading.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-biggest-mistakes-youre-making-work-relationships/

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

9 Likes

Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by mikool007(m): 9:12am On Jul 08, 2017
Ok
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 08, 2017

the only mistake you are making is by not being your own boss

by not being the CEO

be your own boss and you wont need this rubbish thread

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by finest147: 9:13am On Jul 08, 2017
grin
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 08, 2017
Okay!
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by LoveJesus87(m): 9:14am On Jul 08, 2017
T
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by torres89: 9:15am On Jul 08, 2017
say no to office bromance

stop chasing every secretary on skirt

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Flexherbal(m): 9:15am On Jul 08, 2017
Nice one !
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Kobicove(m): 9:16am On Jul 08, 2017
Very good points.

I concur
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by MountCliff: 9:16am On Jul 08, 2017
Ok. Thanks.
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Rapmoney(m): 9:20am On Jul 08, 2017
Nice tips! Thanks wink
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by danduj(m): 9:20am On Jul 08, 2017
Surefixed2:
Yes we made it. yesterday's VIP Game went as planned glory be to God Almighty for his goodness as am here with my sure odds for today to subscribe or get our games call or Whatsapp me view the image below for more details note no free no after only meant for serious minded people only don't miss this great opportunity
scam scammer scammest grin Put ur photoshop skills to something positive

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Iloveafrica: 9:22am On Jul 08, 2017
torres89:

1 Share

Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by thickminaj(f): 9:22am On Jul 08, 2017
grin blah blah black sheep proudly single to stupor...
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Iloveafrica: 9:23am On Jul 08, 2017
thickminaj:
M
Money fall on you!
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by NwaAmaikpe: 9:24am On Jul 08, 2017
shocked

OP you forgot this,
Having a romantic relationship at work is a mistake unless it's your boss, then it's an advantage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Iloveafrica: 9:24am On Jul 08, 2017
badland:
kk
Kuli Kuli?
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Iloveafrica: 9:24am On Jul 08, 2017
LoveJesus87:
T
Tonto dike?
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Aufbauh(m): 9:25am On Jul 08, 2017
I put all these into consideration in my first job yet i got fired by my terrible MD.

But thank goodness it came at the bigining of my career.
Today, i'm far more better and bigger than the level i was supposed to be in that same company.
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Iloveafrica: 9:26am On Jul 08, 2017
Surefixed2:
Yes we made it. yesterday's VIP Game went as planned glory be to God Almighty for his goodness as am here with my sure odds for today to subscribe or get our games call or Whatsapp me view the image below for more details note no free no after only meant for serious minded people only don't miss this great opportunity

Oloriibu ole

1 Like

Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by LoveJesus87(m): 9:27am On Jul 08, 2017
Iloveafrica:

Tonto dike?
God forbid! That disgrace
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by enemyofprogress: 9:27am On Jul 08, 2017
torres89:

they are the cheapest and the sweetest
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Fourwinds: 9:27am On Jul 08, 2017
Surefixed2:
nice hustle.....keep on deceiving urself..... small pikin wey dey shake cocoa nut tree think say na d cocoa nut tree dey shake.?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Harrygow263(m): 9:28am On Jul 08, 2017
How Much Is A Paint Of Garri In Your Area ;DHow Much Is A Paint Of Garri In Your Area
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by dingbang(m): 9:28am On Jul 08, 2017
Some people just naturally ain't friendly.
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Alexbrain(m): 9:29am On Jul 08, 2017
Discovering your talents and building up your skills with be a very productive way to tackle unemployment and become an entrepreneur.
Check out this free online book that will help you with that
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/657738
http://okadabooks.com/book/about/talent__the_bomb/12751#
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by LoveJesus87(m): 9:30am On Jul 08, 2017
thickminaj:
grin blah blah black sheep proudly single to stupor...
so na here u run come abi? oya come back to whatsapp
Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships by Harrygow263(m): 9:30am On Jul 08, 2017
danduj:
scam scammer scammest grin Put ur photoshop skills to something positive
1000 likes

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nairalander Graduates From Flying School. / See The Officer Who Broke 20 Year Old Record At Armed Forces Command College / MURIC Director, Prof. Akintola Retires From LASU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.