Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

Starting A Radio Or TV Station? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting A Radio Or TV Station? (12742 Views)

How Do I Write A Program Proposal For A Radio Station? Pls Help / Have You Ever Been Decieved By A Radio Or Tv Advert? / Cost Of Acquiring A Radio Station Licence In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by pdivine(m): 6:25pm On Feb 05, 2007
Building A TV Or Radio Station?

Dear Nairalanders,

How much does it take to raise a TV and Radio station?

I have someone who wants to invest in TV and Radio broadcasts in Nigeria.
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by sholatech(m): 6:58pm On Feb 05, 2007
Hi,

The major obstacle in setting up a radio or tv station is getting the License.
The president has to approve it and there are not less than 500 pending applications.
Can you buy up an existing operator?
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by Seun(m): 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2007
The president has to approve every station, and there are 500 pending applications? That's too bad. cry
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by chimaze(m): 7:20pm On Feb 05, 2007
Mr Frank Nweke Jr. stated somewhere that it will be liberalised soon. so lets keep our fingers crossed.
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by LoverBwoy(m): 11:22pm On Feb 05, 2007
what happens to anyone with a pirate radio in nigeria, since 500 licenses are pending one can atleast run a pirate radio until the process become less stressful
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by nigeria1: 2:28am On Feb 06, 2007
Let them give me too licence, but I do not want to bribe anyone,  I can get all the equipment, but the licence must be for Ogun state,  really Ota or lagos. Cheap land dey there,  Both Tv and radio. it does not take much to start. but more of engineering skill. I did project on Tv broadcast,  I would look for fund abroad if they gave me. But would not bribe anyone one.

Info@nigeriaone.com
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by NiteAngel(m): 5:41pm On Feb 06, 2007
I know someone who is very skilled in the field. If the person is serious serious, contact me. But first visit http://www.nbc-nig.org/ to see if it's something he/she wants to venture into.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by diyobdw(f): 6:23pm On Feb 09, 2007
nigeria1:

But would not bribe anyone one.

YOu mean PR bribe is old fashioned
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by Seun(m): 9:36pm On Feb 09, 2007
Grrr. Over-regulation gives civil "servants" so much free money. I hate that.
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by hauwabd(f): 2:54pm On Feb 13, 2007
Hi, if you do finally get a licence, contact me for supply and installation of first class state of the art equipment here in Naija! goodluck
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by viperman: 5:41pm On Feb 15, 2007
pdlvine call me on 08068097693
i've been interested in this for a long time only too lazy to go on it on my own.
if you've got your proposal ready or not, as long as you are serious about it call me let me see how many strings i can pull.

V.
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by standout(m): 12:31pm On Feb 27, 2007
quote author=pdivine link=topic=39083.msg866687#msg866687 date=1170696302]

Dear Nairalanders,

[quote][/quote]

Good day.
Broadcasting is a good place to invest money in but just like what one of the responder says, the major obstacle is getting the License. Anyway if the said investor will be interested in investing in cable channel station, I am offered a channel to run under a cable network Licensed operator here in Nigeria but since have not been able to get the required money or someone to invest the needed fund i put the idea aside so as to do some other things. I have made a post concerning the cable station on nairaland some times last year. So, if the investor will start with this cable channel station, i believe we can still get the channel. i will look for the post code on nairaland and send to you to confirm the eailier post. i will check back to see your respond.
Remain bless
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by standout(m): 12:33pm On Feb 27, 2007
quote author=pdivine link=topic=39083.msg866687#msg866687 date=1170696302]

Dear Nairalanders,

[quote][/quote]

Good day.
Broadcasting is a good place to invest money in but just like what one of the responder says, the major obstacle is getting the License. Anyway if the said investor will be interested in investing in cable channel station, I am offered a channel to run under a cable network Licensed operator here in Nigeria but since have not been able to get the required money or someone to invest the needed fund i put the idea aside so as to do some other things. I have made a post concerning the cable station on nairaland some times last year. So, if the investor will start with this cable channel station, i believe we can still get the channel. i will look for the post code on nairaland and send to you to confirm the eailier post. i will check back to see your respond.
Remain bless
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by Seun(m): 12:36pm On Feb 27, 2007
standout, about how much money do you need to invest to have your own cable channel?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by fellow(m): 2:05pm On Feb 27, 2007
hey i would like to know how much it would cost me to start up something like nigezie or soundcity, as in the likes of those 2. I would really appreciate it if i get some answers.

Thanks
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by LilRed1(f): 6:39pm On Feb 27, 2007
good luck n god bless!
kiss
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by ronkarazo(m): 4:14pm On Jun 17, 2007
is there any broadcast engineer or technician who knows about specifications of microwave transmitters/receivers here , pls hola at me.

cheers
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by CHIMSKY(m): 9:35am On Jul 04, 2012
Hi,could you pls send a sample tv channel business plan to henryduketv@yahoo.com.I wld like to get a grasp of what the plan entails and the format
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by neonknight(m): 12:58am On Jul 08, 2012
Hi, I no this is an old post, but if u r yet to start d tv station this is my advise: 1st it is true their are lots of money to b made from broadcasting but b4 u go into it consider that it is a long time investment and money might not come in as soon as u think and u will have to pay workers and maintain ur equipments.

If u check out many of the present tv stations many are not making it big and some are barely surviving, from media and monitoring, there are only 5 stations in lagos really making money and they are; stv,ait,on tv, galaxy tv and tvc. With radio its much easier, especially if u r different from d rest. The issue is this the means of making money from tv is adverts and independent producers buying airtime for their shows, but advertisers are very selective on stations to advertise on and if u come from nowhere with out a reputation, u station will lack patronage from advertises.

What I will advise is follow the step of on tv, the owner started by being an independent producer and forged a relationship with advert agencies, he also have lots of show already products so when is tv station started he wasn't lacking in good and marketable content, by the way on tv is owned by d guy who owns televista and sound city.

So why not start with producing tv and radio shows, this will enable u gain experience, content and media and agency connections.

I am into tv and radio production and would be glade to b of service to u. U can reach me on nkproduction.tv@gmail.com or call 08122945687
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by promisechild(m): 3:30pm On Jul 01, 2013
The broadcasting or media is a great business i once worked in raypower as a presenter but now looking forward to acquiring a radio station,but the capital is scarce but if u are opening a radio or tv station and you need a good producer you can get me on 08139018012.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by gratefulheart(m): 11:04pm On Jul 29, 2015
can you send me the list of ur TV equipment and price

hauwabd:
Hi, if you do finally get a licence, contact me for supply and installation of first class state of the art equipment here in Naija! goodluck
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 30, 2015
pdivine:

Dear Nairalanders,

Radio hasn't been digitalised yet so for that you can get a licence then the equipment.
Working on a similar project. Licence for Radio shall cost you between 10/15M depending on where you want to site the Radio station.
For TV it's complex. Do you want to go Analog? If yes, it's old fashioned already. If digital you are not going to be the traditional TV Station but a content provider.
It's not as hopeless as it appears. Get someone to put your through. (Am not recommending anyone not even myself).
Good luck
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by KingPoult: 10:31am On Aug 16, 2016
To own a radio station involves some steps.

Step 1: Do a feasibility study
Consider why you want to start a radio station and the place of choice.
Who will be your target listeners? How much do you have for it?

Step2: Acquire an office and name it
For a standard radio station, a spacious office may be needed because some licensing bodies may need to go onsite
inspection of facilities before licenses are issued, and if their expectations are not met, the license may not be granted.
Therefore, a radio station should have accessible road, neat and spacious compound, and good water supply.
Every radio station should have names listeners can easily memorise.

Step 3: Open a bank account
Because financial transactions involving corporate bodies are largely electronic,
it is advisable one opens a corporate account in the name of the radio station.
Every bank in Nigeria has different requirements for corporate accounts opening,
but they are largely the same. Open a corporate account in the name of your new radio station.
This is the name that will be used to do all financial transactions concerning the company, and will be required for licensing.

Step 4: Acquire broadcast equipment and install them
A transmitter is an important device in radio broadcast.
It is a device that turns electrical signals into radio waves so that they can travel long distances over certain frequency.
Transmitter used depends on budget and range of target audience.
Transmitters range from 15watts to 1kwatts, and its capacity determines how far its signals can travel. An antenna also is important. Antennas are used to amplify signal travel
and must be kept far away from other devices to avoid interference.
Coaxial cables are used to transfer energy from transmitter to the antenna and have to be bought.
t is noteworthy that our power supply in Nigeria is very unsteady so an alternative to public power supply must be considered, hence radio stations have to run on generators or UPS to power the studio, transmitters, office air conditioners (where necessary).
Audio processors are used to improve and optimize the quality of sounds to be broadcast and are needed. Also, an interface panel remote control is required to input signals into the transmitter.
A mixer allows the Disc Jockey to control various aspects of radio broadcasts. Other pieces of equipment that are needed include power surge, computer automation software, rack mount, telephones, and connectors.

Step 5: Get a license
The first license is from Corporate Affairs Commissions (CAC) for registering a radio station as a legal entity in Nigeria.
One must have a registered name with CAC before forwarding an application to Nigeria Broadcasting Commission (NBC) for a broadcast license.
NBC is a commission which issues broadcast licenses and regulate the broadcast industry as contained in Act no. 55 (as amended) of 1999 Constitution.
Applications are made to the President of Nigeria through the Minister of Information.
Upon receipt of application, the applicant will be expected to pay fifty thousand naira for NBC forms.
When the applicant has received these forms, he/she is expected to return the filled out forms with coy certificate of incorporation,
station engineering design and feasibility study, Memorandum and articles of association, banker’s reference license, etc.
After this, license is issued. A license expires in 5 years, and is subject to renewal.
Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt are the most expensive places to own a radio station in Nigeria.
The cost of broadcast license in these places is twenty million naira only while that of other states costs fifteen million naira only.
Also, cost of license renewal in the 3 cities is five million naira only
while that other states cost four million naira only and are valid for 5 years.
Application for license renewal is made 6 months before the expiration of the current license.
NBC has the authority to shutdown any radio station operating without a license in Nigeria, and that is why licenses are important.

Step 6: Employ people
A committed team must be set up to reach the goals of the radio station. Therefore, newscasters, journalist, cleaners, security men, Disc Jockeys (DJ), marketers, script manager, engineers (sound, electrical, mechanical, etc), production manager, etc must be employed.
The engineers will install, maintain and operate the gadgets.
When all these requirements are met, one can easily own a radio station in any location of choice in Nigeria depending largely on his or her budget and choice.
Private radio stations make returns mainly through commercial advertisements.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by Hezbola: 1:03pm On Aug 16, 2016
How can one partner with cable TV like multichoice, cantv, etc, to expand their coverage to other areas.
Re: Starting A Radio Or TV Station? by Konzent(m): 6:17am On Sep 11, 2016
Is there any experienced broadcast engineer here or you know of any? Our company is setting up a Tv and radio studio and needs
his services.
hauwabd:

(1) (Reply)

Mowe Situation Report: No Injury Or Death Recorded - Lagos Fire Service / TIG Treasure Resources: Any One Who Can Advise Me On Them? / Help On Business Suggestion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.