Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,724 members, 7,805,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church (24659 Views)

Coronavirus: 3 Nigerian Church Buildings That Can Be Used As Treatment Centres / Deeper Life Bible Church: The Nigerian Church That Has Stood The Test Of Time / Police Officers Storm "Noisy" Nigerian Church In Detroit USA, Dance With Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 09, 2017
VeniJu:

Based on statistics, by the NBS, the total churches in Nigeria as at February, 19th was 32Millions, 691 Thousand, 857... U can see things are boomings.
Not possible. How many christians even dey Nigeria sef If Nigerian Christians are 100 million that means we have about 3 Christians/church. That's not possible.

1 Like

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 09, 2017
Symphony1:
NIGERIANS BUNCH OF HYPOCRITES, CREEDY, WICKED AND SELFISH Fools. The most religious nation, yet the most corrupt country. what an Irony! Ijust know my place is not in this miserable good for nothing country.
Nigeria
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Sonoyom(m): 12:16pm On Jul 09, 2017
Ok
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Godsgal(f): 12:21pm On Jul 09, 2017
kiddoiLL:
Mormon isnt what you might be thinking, Mormon is the name of one of the Church's early prophet i think. Their members are always called to serve for a certain time, they believe everyone has to win a soul for the kingdom of God, and this is one of the most heart warming Church's i've been to. Besides LDS is the church with the best choirs in the world i think. They keep simple doctrines, no instruments except Organ on Sundays, their music pieces is always Hymns. I'm not a member but the church is really really good. This is not like our local churches dat wont teach you how to live or succeed in this life but give u prophecy upon prophecy without leading you. This is a church that'll teach you the word of God and still teach you how to farm and get products you need...LDS has a far wild mentality, maybe cause its a white man's church..i dunno but that Church is also top. My sister's been going to LDS from Very young age, and well last year i did with em and learnt bout em.
is this church the same as 'church of christ?'
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by apholaryn: 12:24pm On Jul 09, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
What model did the missionary used to build us free education?

Do you know those institutions can be run on a volunteer basis and you ll never lack personnel if the people knw that working there is same as working in church.

It's achievable. Even a second ofgering in the whole RCCG worldwide every month can take care of salaries and pther things
abeg no argue with them again..stop wasting your time with gullible people
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by pressplay411(m): 12:35pm On Jul 09, 2017
rawpadgin:
can u imagine

the fact is most of churches don't give a fvck about salvation, all they are after is the cheese

Honestly the only question on my mind, where should I drop my CV for employment, Redeemed or Winners?
These 2 churches combine earn more than most business corps in Nigeria.
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by An2elect2(f): 12:38pm On Jul 09, 2017
thesuave10:
LET THEM CONTINUE BUILDING. THE DEVIL IS BUILDING CHURCHES, UNIVERSITIES, SCHHOOLS NIGHT CLUBS FOR THEM TOO IN HELL. grin grin
They are all hell bound indeed. Sad that they have no resemblance with Bible Christianity yet this is what is shoved down people's throats as true. Crooks
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by rawpadgin(m): 12:39pm On Jul 09, 2017
pressplay411:

Honestly the only question on my mind, where should I drop my CV for employment, Redeemed or Winners?
These 2 churches combine earn more than most business corps in Nigeria.
don't even think about working in a church.
they pay their workers peanut
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by uwajeh(m): 12:41pm On Jul 09, 2017
johnwizey:
Winners dey pay tithe to Redeem, who redeem con dey pay to?
That would most likely be the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion.
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by hausadreturn(m): 12:43pm On Jul 09, 2017
johnwizey:
God
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by seegi(m): 12:49pm On Jul 09, 2017
ollah1:
Yet some pastors, politicians and gullible Christians will scream on top of their lungs that there's an agenda to Islamise Nigeria. All i see here is a plot to Christianise Nigeria.
Abi Na, see churches ⛪ ⛪
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by pheesayor(m): 12:56pm On Jul 09, 2017
Bonus:
13. MFM pays tithe to CAC
Statsocial:
-Leke Beecroft

1. The Old ARENA of the Redeemed Christian Church of God is the size of 86 football fields (1km x 1km) and was built at the cost of over N7.7 Billion,completed in 2007 while the new one is 3km x 3km in size.

2. The Living Faith Church aka Winners Chapel pays tithes to the Redeemed Christian Church of God. January 2011 tithe amounted to about N1.5Billion.

3. There are about 40,000 churches presently in Lagos Nigeria.

4. The Redeemed Christian Church of God used 80,000 ushers and a 1,500 strong choir for the single night of Lekki '98 in December 1998. The church estimated the crowd at 6.5million instead of the expected 3million while CNN put it at 7.2million.

5. Pastor WF Kumuyi of Deeper Life Bible Church was formerly a member of the Apostolic Faith Church and was later excommunicated. Today, the Deeper Life Bible Church, founded by Pastor Kumuyi is bigger in size than the Apostolic Faith Church in Nigeria.

6. The two largest churches in Europe are pastored by Nigerians.
#1. Pastor Sunday Adelaja of the 20,000 member-Embassy of the Blessed Kingdom of God for all Nations. Kiev,Ukraine. Eastern Europe.
#2. Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo of the Kingsway International Christian Centre, London, England. Western Europe.

7. The Roman Catholic Church is the wealthiest institution in the world. As at 2008, she owned 93,315 elementary or nursery/primary schools and 42,234 secondary schools with 48,278,000 students in these schools.

8. According to the Vatican,there are 11,000 seminarians in Nigeria while Bigard Memorial is the largest seminary in the world.

9. The Living Faith Church Worldwide (LFCW) has a 25 year educational program from 2007-2032 which includes the establishment of 7 universities,140 secondary schools and 5,000 nursery/primary schools.

10. Seventh Day Adventist Church owns 116 universities including Babcock University,Ogun State,Nigeria.

11. The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormon Church) is the second richest church in the world after the Roman Catholic Church.

12. Assemblies of God with 60 million members is the largest pentecostal church in the world.

https://churchgistinfo..com.ng/2017/03/church-facts-by-leke-beecroft.html?m=1

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by phillips1959: 12:57pm On Jul 09, 2017
The Mormon Church is an interesting one but in it there are more questions than answers.They have a temple which only approved church members can enter.If you do not get the temple permit you cannot enter there.You as an individual cannot go to their temple to commune with God.They have one temple in Aba.The temple is not everywhere.They also engage in the Baptism for the dead. Even if you die as a bishop in another church today,your baptism must be done in the temple by anyone else living on your behalf.On every Church building, instead of the cross of Jesus,they mount a structure which looks like a coffin.They can never explain its meaning to anyone.On top of this coffin is an image of a man with a sword.You have to study the structure closely to observe this.One is at Opebi..There is no cross on their structures and they have additional scriptures like Perl of graet Price AND bOOK oF Mormon.
Any one that has a better understanding of these practices of the church should let me know because I still admire the church.
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 09, 2017
pheesayor:
Bonus:
13. MFM pays tithe to CAC
Are you serious?
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Ephort: 12:59pm On Jul 09, 2017
Statsocial:

Lol I am going to find out soon. But I don't believe all Pentecostal churches in Nigeria practice this. This is probably limited to the Living Faith and the churches it mentors e.g Dunamix, Daystar, Pastor Ibieyomie's church.
You discovery exercise may be futile, reason being that in Nigeria, churches open everyday and there is no database for the existing ones let alone the entrants. Secondly, most new churches are not registered, and as such, are legally not recognised as a body. Some churches have less than 10 members while some have no definite place of worship. Any estimated figure will definitely be flawed.
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by thesuave10(m): 1:01pm On Jul 09, 2017
VeniJu:

Total Numbers of CHURHES; sir. Not members.
Dis days, a man can easily convert his 1 room apartment into a church. Or rent a classroom in a school compound.

Another question, do you mean denominations or church buildings?
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Alexbrain(m): 1:04pm On Jul 09, 2017
elantraceey:

Wow, the Christian is the church and the church is the Christian but since you don't even realize that I won't talk about it.

Lemme ask,,, Have you spent hours on your knees to pray for lost souls?
How well have you tried to affect positively the lives of the poor around you?
When last have you gone on your own to preach the gospel?
Can you be called a living Word yourself?

If your answer to any of this is no then please go do your part in the great commission and for heaven sake stop criticising those that are making an effort.

I rest my case, God bless you.
How all these things you talk take relate to the matter?
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by sylvez(m): 1:13pm On Jul 09, 2017
johnwizey:
I heard its the Roman Catholic Pope
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by whizzyleejr(m): 1:14pm On Jul 09, 2017
7.2billion naira will end poverty in nigeria instead of building construction
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by sylvez(m): 1:15pm On Jul 09, 2017
Statsocial:

Lol I am going to find out soon. But I don't believe all Pentecostal churches in Nigeria practice this. This is probably limited to the Living Faith and the churches it mentors e.g Dunamix, Daystar, Pastor Ibieyomie's church.
Pastors pay tithe to their father in lord, like the order of Melshidezek, Abraham paid tithe to him
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by chubinwa(m): 1:26pm On Jul 09, 2017
op.. ur thread is nt complete without putting my church here. go for more research and find something abt Methodist church

1 Like

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by VeniJu: 1:28pm On Jul 09, 2017
thesuave10:

Another question, do you mean denominations or church buildings?
Church buildings, sir. Not Denominations.
Like in my street, before you get to the main road, you'll pass thru 7 RCCG, 3 LFC, 1 AG, 1 Deeper Life, 2 MFM. Churches are so many dat d street was nicknamed ''Business Lane''
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Lotechi(m): 1:30pm On Jul 09, 2017
we are too religious and that has led to lack of thinking that is supposed to get us out of poverty and underdevelopment. We should all strive for spiritual growth in God and not being religious fanatics.
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Lotechi(m): 1:36pm On Jul 09, 2017
.we are one bro.........I am a Christian not a church goer or a religious fanatic.
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by tonio2wo: 1:38pm On Jul 09, 2017
johnwizey:

Final proof that these churches are business ventures!
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by eyinjuege: 1:51pm On Jul 09, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
What model did the missionary used to build us free education?

Do you know those institutions can be run on a volunteer basis and you ll never lack personnel if the people knw that working there is same as working in church.

It's achievable. Even a second ofgering in the whole RCCG worldwide every month can take care of salaries and pther things

A lot of things that worked decades ago cannot work again.
The population explosion(Nigeria and worldwide) is one thing to be considered. Population of nigeria was just 16 million in 1911. In 2017 it's about 170 million and still counting.
I repeat, it will be difficult to feel any missionary impact in terms of provision of public services.

Despite the budget of nigeria running into trillions, nobody is feeling the impact. Nobody has ever felt the impact.
Some of these churches do provide services the govt hasn't been able to cater for. It may be expensive, but it's still affordable for some. They still manage to meet some people's needs.
The children of the very rich and the lawmakers are schooling abroad, the children of some poor are schooling in covenant university for example. I really dont believe therea any middle class in nigeria. The gap is too much.

Nigerian universities are still one of the cheapest worldwide. Meaning the services provided by the faith based schools shouldn't be rubbished because it's not free. It's almost impossible to be free. Some of the students are on church scholarships btw to attend same schools. Millions of students write jamb to enter uni btw. How many of those millions do you think those schools can cater for since everyone will want to be a part of it?

Talking of volunteer services, are you ready to be a volunteer? How many volunteers services have you ever being a part of Personally?
Should they employ people not qualified to come and teach in the universities since they are volunteers? Or employ just anybody to come and provide the services of a Dr or nurse in hospitals? Don't the volunteers have families to feed also?
Most people that work in the church do so Sunday's, Saturday's, Friday night's or generally after work hours. Who will they be ministering to in the hospitals Or teaching at such hours?

3 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Stanbeto: 1:56pm On Jul 09, 2017
Thank you Sir good info

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Generalyemi(m): 1:59pm On Jul 09, 2017
kiddoiLL:
Mormon isnt what you might be thinking, Mormon is the name of one of the Church's early prophet i think. Their members are always called to serve for a certain time, they believe everyone has to win a soul for the kingdom of God, and this is one of the most heart warming Church's i've been to. Besides LDS is the church with the best choirs in the world i think. They keep simple doctrines, no instruments except Organ on Sundays, their music pieces is always Hymns. I'm not a member but the church is really really good. This is not like our local churches dat wont teach you how to live or succeed in this life but give u prophecy upon prophecy without leading you. This is a church that'll teach you the word of God and still teach you how to farm and get products you need...LDS has a far wild mentality, maybe cause its a white man's church..i dunno but that Church is also top. My sister's been going to LDS from Very young age, and well last year i did with em and learnt bout em.

OGA talk wat u know....Mormon is a secret cult...stop talking trash,greater percentage of d members don't even knw
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by kiddoiLL(m): 2:02pm On Jul 09, 2017
Generalyemi:

OGA talk wat u know....Mormon is a secret cult...stop talking trash,greater percentage of d members don't even knw
Nigga you keep shut if you dont know something. Mormon is a secret cult, you decide that based on the name. I have no business with you sha
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by kiddoiLL(m): 2:02pm On Jul 09, 2017
Godsgal:
is this church the same as 'church of christ?'
Not sure
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 09, 2017
eyinjuege:

A lot of things that worked decades ago cannot work again.
The population explosion(Nigeria and worldwide) is one thing to be considered. Population of nigeria was just 16 million in 1911. In 2017 it's about 170 million and still counting.
I repeat, it will be difficult to feel any missionary impact in terms of provision of public services.

Despite the budget of nigeria running into trillions, nobody is feeling the impact. Nobody has ever felt the impact.
Some of these churches do provide services the govt hasn't been able to cater for. It may be expensive, but it's still affordable for some. They still manage to meet some people's needs.
The children of the very rich and the lawmakers are schooling abroad, the children of some poor are schooling in covenant university for example. I really dont believe therea any middle class in nigeria. The gap is too much.

Nigerian universities are still one of the cheapest worldwide. Meaning the services provided by the faith based schools shouldn't be rubbished because it's not free. It's almost impossible to be free. Some of the students are on church scholarships btw to attend same schools. Millions of students write jamb to enter uni btw. How many of those millions do you think those schools can cater for since everyone will want to be a part of it?

Talking of volunteer services, are you ready to be a volunteer? How many volunteers services have you ever being a part of Personally?
Should they employ people not qualified to come and teach in the universities since they are volunteers? Or employ just anybody to come and provide the services of a Dr or nurse in hospitals? Don't the volunteers have families to feed also?
Most people that work in the church do so Sunday's, Saturday's, Friday night's or generally after work hours. Who will they be ministering to in the hospitals Or teaching at such hours?
I'm an usher in my church and i make out time for other groups to join and help out.

Wake up and be a bible Christian and not a Church Christian

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Abroad Sees A Black Cat, Prays: 'Aunty Nkechi I Rebuke You' / Is Wet Dream really A Sin? / His Pastor Shared His Confidential Information While Preaching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.