Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,455 members, 7,801,129 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. (1484 Views)

AI (alien Intelligence) And The Question Of God - How Atheist & Theist Are Right / Who Created God? How Did He Come To Be? / If They Make Fun Of Your 'god' How Do You Feel Deep Down? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by blueAgent(m): 10:40pm On Jul 09, 2017
 NOTE: For the last half of the twentieth
century, Antony Flew (1923-2010) was the
world's most famous atheist. Long before Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Sam Harris began taking swipes at religion, Flew was the preeminent spokesman for unbelief. In 2004, he shocked the world by
announcing he had come to believe in God.
In 2007, he recounted his conversion in a book titled There is a God: (How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind).

Here is an extract from an interview with Dr.
*Benjamin Wiker about his book, his conversion, and the reasons that led him to God. Read below and enjoy!
Dr. Benjamin Wiker:when asked if  his conversion was due to him hearing a voice.

Antony Flew: There were two factors in particular
that were decisive. One was my growing empathy with the insight of Einstein and other noted scientists that there had to be an Intelligence behind the integrated complexity of the physical Universe. The second was my own insight that the integrated complexity of life itself—which is far more complex than the physical Universe—can only be explained in terms of an Intelligent Source. I believe that the origin of life and reproduction simply cannot be explained from a biological standpoint despite numerous efforts to do so. With every passing year, the more that was discovered about the richness and inherent
intelligence of life, the less it seemed likely that a chemical soup could magically generate the
genetic code. The difference between life and non- life, it became apparent to me, was ontological
and not chemical. The best confirmation of this
radical gulf is Richard Dawkins' comical effort to argue in The God Delusion that the origin of life can be attributed to a "lucky chance." If that's the best argument you have, then the game is over.
No, I did not hear a Voice. It was the evidence
itself that led me to this conclusion.

*Interviewer/Wicker:When asked if the burden of proof  of God's existence lies on the Theists or Atheist His response.

Flew: I note in my book that
some philosophers indeed
have argued in the past that the
burden of proof is on the
atheist. I think the origins of
the laws of nature and of life
and the Universe point clearly
to an intelligent Source. The
burden of proof is on those
who argue to the contrary.
Interviewer/Wiker. When he was asked about the evidence that led him to believe that there is God and if it was scientific?
His response.
Flew: It was empirical evidence, the evidence
uncovered by the sciences. But it was a
philosophical inference drawn from the evidence.
Scientists as scientists cannot make these kinds
of philosophical inferences. They have to speak
as philosophers when they study the philosophical implications of empirical evidence.
Interviewer: When asked about Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens who regard theists as been behind the times.
His response.
Flew: Yes, indeed. I would add that Dawkins is
selective to the point of dishonesty when he cites the views of scientists on the philosophical implications of the scientific data.
Two noted philosophers, one an agnostic
(Anthony Kenny) and the other an atheist (Thomas
Nagel), recently pointed out that Dawkins has
failed to address three major issues that ground
the rational case for God. As it happens, these are the very same issues that had driven me to accept the existence of a God: the laws of nature, life with its teleological organization, and the existence of the Universe.

*Interviewer :When asked about the existence of God and evil.
His response.
Flew: I should clarify that I am a deist. I do not
accept any claim of divine revelation though I
would be happy to study any such claim (and
continue to do so in the case of Christianity). For the deist, the existence of evil does not pose a problem because the deist God does not
intervene in the affairs of the world. The religious theist, of course, can turn to the free-will defense (in fact I am the one who first coined the phrase free-will defense). Another relatively recent change in my philosophical views is my affirmation of the freedom of the will.
Interviewer:When asked if God was just a force or a personal being.
His response.
Flew: I accept the God of Aristotle who shares all the attributes you cite. Like Lewis I believe that God is a person but not the sort of person with whom you can have a talk. It is the ultimate
being, the Creator of the Universe.

*Interviewer/Wiker: Do you plan to write a follow-up book to
There is a God?

Flew: As I said in opening the book, this is my last will and testament.

In Conclusion

Flew has demonstrated his honest desire to find the truth by following the evidence and logic. any sincere Atheists who is interested in searching for the truth without bais will come to the conclusion that God exist just like Mr Flew discovered.
The problem is most Atheists like the ones in Nairaland argue without facts and objectivity they refuse to challenge their opinion and fantasy with facts,logic and evidence  they live in self denial of the abundant evidence that point to God. like their peers Dawkins and Christopher  they have failed to answer the basic questions about our existence.
Believing that the Universe came into existence by chance. without any explanation of the mechnism or scientific evidence of how it happened is mere faith. even it requires more than just faith.

Click here for the orignal article.

www.strangenotions.com/flew/

www.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by kelvinhilton(m): 10:49pm On Jul 09, 2017
Too long... Thank God he is now free from d shackles of unbelieve.

1 Share

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by blueAgent(m): 11:10pm On Jul 09, 2017
kelvinhilton:
Too long... Thank God he is now free from d shackles of unbelieve.

Yes...ooo, he died believing that God exists.
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Almaheed: 11:50pm On Jul 09, 2017
very insightful into the world of metaphysics and the I admire the way he balanced it with empirical notions of how the complexity of the universe can only originate from an intelligent source I.e God.

philosophers have over the years argued against the existence of God especially the Americans with their logic and pragmatism but whatever fact they tend to point out only leads towards the absolute being. how would you object that the source of life in the universe exist by a LUCKY CHANCE purported by the big bang theory.... apparently something is wrong with the atheist.

and I wonder how one can be African and still be an atheist I don't just get that logic. with all the spiritual forces in the land. African atheist are uncle Tom's who would copy any shit the white man gives to them, if you see one always shame him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by felixomor: 12:06am On Jul 10, 2017
Glory to God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 10, 2017
Never heard of him. Again atheism isn't a church, once you lack belief in any deities you are atheist, no one has a monopoly on atheism. If Richard Dawkins or anyone else decides they are no longer atheist that's their choice, they and this person are free to change his mind if he wants, it doesn't mean anyone else should.

people are atheist for many different reason and are free to change their views based on the interpretation of the evidence before them, I could be deist 10 years from now-i simply don't see sufficient evidence for the position. On further research I see he believed in neither Christianity or Islam and their God "I'm thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins". Anyway I will make sure to read his book for insight.
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 12:38am On Jul 10, 2017
LightandDarkness:
Never heard of him. Again atheism isn't a church, once you lack belief in any deities you are atheist, no one has a monopoly on atheism. If Richard Dawkins or anyone else decides they are no longer atheist that's their choice, they and this person are free to change his mind if he wants, it doesn't mean anyone else should.

people are atheist for many different reason and are free to change their views based on the interpretation of the evidence before them, I could be deist 10 years from now-i simply don't see sufficient evidence for the position. On further research I see he believed in neither Christianity or Islam and their God "I'm thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins". Anyway I will make sure to read his book for insight.
Tell the op abeg
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 12:38am On Jul 10, 2017
Almaheed:
very insightful into the world of metaphysics and the I admire the way he balanced it with empirical notions of how the complexity of the universe can only originate from an intelligent source I.e God.

philosophers have over the years argued against the existence of God especially the Americans with their logic and pragmatism but whatever fact they tend to point out only leads towards the absolute being. how would you object that the source of life in the universe exist by a LUCKY CHANCE purported by the big bang theory.... apparently something is wrong with the atheist.

and I wonder how one can be African and still be an atheist I don't just get that logic. with all the spiritual forces in the land. African atheist are uncle Tom's who would copy any shit the white man gives to them, if you see one always shame him

I wonder if you also shame the Christians whose religion clearly comes from the Europeans. I can accept this argument from you if you're an African traditionalist but if you are Christian you are practicing a religion brought to you by colonialist Europeans who murdered and enslaved your forefathers in the name of civilising the negro, if you are Muslim you are practicing the religion of Arabs that reached you through a combination of war and trade.

1 Like

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by felixomor: 1:31am On Jul 10, 2017
LightandDarkness:

I wonder if you also shame the Christians whose religion clearly comes from the Europeans. I can accept this argument from you if you're an African traditionalist but if you are Christian you are practicing a religion brought to you by colonialist Europeans who murdered and enslaved your forefathers in the name of civilising the negro, if you are Muslim you are practicing the religion of Arabs that reached you through a combination of war and trade.

So Christianity came from the europeans?
Wow shocked
By the way, why don't you also reject the enlightenment, healthcare and western education they brought?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by geoworldedu: 1:34am On Jul 10, 2017
Praise Amadioha, the god of my land. I'm happy the atheist died believing that Amadioha exists.
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 2:57am On Jul 10, 2017
felixomor:

So Christianity came from the europeans?
Wow shocked
By the way, why don't you also reject the enlightenment, healthcare and western education they brought?

To Africa?, yes. I am not against modernization, colonialism and the destruction of our cultural identity was not necessary to bring enlightenment, healthcare, and "western education". Rather than a mutual exchange of values, colonialism was a replacement. Oddly enough religious fundamentalists are now one of the greatest enemies of continued enlightenment in Africa.
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by felixomor: 3:45am On Jul 10, 2017
LightandDarkness:

To Africa?, yes. I am not against modernization, colonialism and the destruction of our cultural identity was not necessary to bring enlightenment, healthcare, and "western education". Rather than a mutual exchange of values, colonialism was a replacement. Oddly enough religious fundamentalists are now one of the greatest enemies of continued enlightenment in Africa.

Sorry thats hypocrisy.
Besides, Your African ancestors kidnapped each other and sold each other as slaves, to the whites in exchange for salt, guns, sugar etc
The whites didn't enslave. Africa enslaved herself. The whites also went to other continents that didn't sell themselves as slaves.

Besides You should learn that The europeans were not the first to bring Christianity to Africa,
Long before they did, Ethiopians and Egyptians, Nubians and Kushites were already preaching the gospel in Africa.
Ethiopia remains one of the largest Christian majorities, they were never colonised.

So your idea of tying colonisation to christianity in Africa is a fallacy of excluded middle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by uvalued(m): 5:29am On Jul 10, 2017
felixomor:

Sorry thats hypocrisy.
Besides, Your African ancestors kidnapped each other and sold each other as slaves, to the whites in exchange for salt, guns, sugar etc
The whites didn't enslave. Africa enslaved herself. The whites also went to other continents that didn't sell themselves as slaves.

Besides You should learn that The europeans were not the first to bring Christianity to Africa,
Long before they did, Ethiopians and Egyptians, Nubians and Kushites were already preaching the gospel in Africa.
Ethiopia remains one of the largest Christian majorities, they were never colonised.

So your idea of tying colonisation to christianity in Africa is a fallacy of excluded middle.
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 10, 2017
What do you mean by "notorious atheist" notorious doesn't go with atheist according to collocation rule of semantics. You are trying to make atheism look like a crime
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 10, 2017
felixomor:

Sorry thats hypocrisy.

It is not. Are you defending colonialism and slavery? Lol. But did they bring Christianity to Nigeria?
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by felixomor: 10:46am On Jul 10, 2017
LightandDarkness:

It is not. Are you defending colonialism and slavery? Lol. But did they bring Christianity to Nigeria?

Was your context "Nigeria"?
Or is African Christianity limited to Nigeria?

And please show me where I supported slavery? Or you want to twist words?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 10, 2017
felixomor:

Was your context "Nigeria"?
Or is African Christianity limited to Nigeria?

And please show me where I supported slavery? Or you want to twist words?

Nigeria and in a larger context Africa, I might have been partially wrong about Africa but only for a small minority. In Nigeria what I said was 100% true, outside Nigeria it seems to hold true except for Egypt, Ethiopia, and Eritrea-i'll give you that.

"The whites didn't enslave. Africa enslaved herself." So the whites did not enslave africa and/or if we were enslaved it is because we invited it?
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 10, 2017
LightandDarkness:

Nigeria and in a larger context Africa, I might have been partially wrong about Africa but only for a small minority. In Nigeria what I said was 100% true, outside Nigeria it seems to hold true except for Egypt, Ethiopia, and Eritrea-i'll give you that.

"The whites didn't enslave. Africa enslaved herself." So the whites did not enslave africa and/or if we were enslaved it is because we invited it?
@bold

Never expect same in return from Felix. He can argue for a Jesus without taking corrections
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by felixomor: 11:35am On Jul 10, 2017
LightandDarkness:

Not "might" you are wrong.
You are also wrong on Nigeria. The first people to bring christianity to Nigeria were the Monks (Reasearch them)
Not the colonialists.

Secondly, on enslavement, it is still happening today.
Just look at how foreign companies exploit our crude oil and Human Resources while they bribe our leaders.
So you cant blame anybody other than Africans themselves.
Lets be honest. That has nothing to do with Jesus Christ or his message.
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jul 10, 2017
felixomor:

Sorry thats hypocrisy.

You are right.

By the way, there was Christianity in Ethiopia and Eritrea as early as 1st century AD, but it became official religion of Axumite Kingdom in 333 AD when Axumite King Ezana adopted Christianity.

Ethiopia is the 2nd nation in the world to officially adopte Christianity after Armenia.

The Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity became unique through time and now it's called the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo church.

1 Like

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 10, 2017
felixomor:

Not "might" you are wrong.
You are also wrong on Nigeria. The first people to bring christianity to Nigeria were the Monks (Reasearch them)
Not the colonialists.

Secondly, on enslavement, it is still happening today.
Just look at how foreign companies exploit our crude oil and Human Resources while they bribe our leaders.
So you cant blame anybody other than Africans themselves.
Lets be honest. That has nothing to do with Jesus Christ or his message.

On research they were Portuguese who arrived along with portuguese slave traders and colonialists, so still European. According to wikipedia "When direct Portuguese contacts in the region were withdrawn, however, the influence of the Catholic missionaries waned. By the eighteenth century, evidence of Christianity had disappeared." So the presence of Christianity in Nigeria then and now can still be attributed to European influences.

The message of Jesus Christ was used to establish colonial power in Nigeria. The missionaries presented Christianity as a better way of life for the communities they reached and colonialism as a way to access better education and healthcare. Kingdoms that resisted missionaries and colonial rule were subjugated using warfare.

The Europeans (specifically the british) also share the blame. They created the demand for slaves that drove the industry, they used colonialism to gain access to our natural resources after using slavery to take our human resources, and now take advantage of a corrupt country for enrichment.
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by felixomor: 12:51pm On Jul 10, 2017
LightandDarkness:

On research they were Portuguese who arrived along with portuguese slave traders and colonialists, so still European. According to wikipedia "When direct Portuguese contacts in the region were withdrawn, however, the influence of the Catholic missionaries waned. By the eighteenth century, evidence of Christianity had disappeared." So the presence of Christianity in Nigeria then and now can still be attributed to European influences.

The message of Jesus Christ was used to establish colonial power in Nigeria. The missionaries presented Christianity as a better way of life for the communities they reached and colonialism as a way to access better education and healthcare. Kingdoms that resisted missionaries and colonial rule were subjugated using warfare.

The Europeans (specifically the british) also share the blame. They created the demand for slaves that drove the industry, they used colonialism to gain access to our natural resources after using slavery to take our human resources, and now take advantage of a corrupt country for enrichment.
Thank God you have moved on from saying they "enslaved Africa" to they "created demand"

Secondly, Actually the whole of North Africa was Christian majority, before invasions of arabs and Islam,
So You can see that Christianity was not from europeans
As a matter of fact, Jesus wasn't a European. He wasn't even white.
So how did the europeans get Christianity? Is still a question that will await you at the end.
Was it also by "colonial power"?

@ bolded,
Please explain how Lord Lugard (for example) used the message of Jesus Christ to establish colonial power in Nigeria or almagamate it?
. Knowing fully well that Nigeria had Muslims in the north, Or he also used The gospel to co-erce & colonize the north?

I will like to know the details please.
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 10, 2017
felixomor:

Thank God you have moved on from saying they "enslaved Africa" to they "created demand"

Secondly, Actually the whole of North Africa was Christian majority, before invasions of arabs and Islam,
So You can see that Christianity was not from europeans
As a matter of fact, Jesus wasn't a European. He wasn't even white.
So how did the europeans get Christianity? Is still a question that will await you at the end.
Was it also by "colonial power"?

@ bolded,
Please explain how Lord Lugard (for example) used the message of Jesus Christ to establish colonial power in Nigeria or almagamate it?
. Knowing fully well that Nigeria had Muslims in the north, Or he also used The gospel to co-erce & colonize the north?

I will like to know the details please.

They both created the demand for slaves and enslaved Africans, how could they create the demand for slave trade without using Africans as slaves. Furthermore, slaves were not solely captured by locals. Can you prove either of those scenarios are wrong?

North Africa is a very large region. You are basing this on Egypt, Ethiopia, and Eritrea?.

Of course Jesus wasn't an European and probably wasn't white, makes you wonder why the missionaries presented a white Jesus to the africans. How Christianity arrived in Europe is not particularly relevant to this discussion focused on africa-more specifically Nigeria.

In my previous post i said. "Kingdoms that resisted missionaries and colonial rule were subjugated using warfare." The Sokoto Caliphate was one of those kingdoms, largely an Islamic caliphate and one of the most organized governmental systems at the time, military conquest presented the only way to take the caliphate. Lord lugard himself took the caliphate and cemented British rule which made it possible to amalgamate Nigeria. Religious control prior was not possible and religious control after wasn't necessary when military subjugation had been achieved. The relationship between Christianity and colonialism can be more clearly seen in the south.
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by felixomor: 2:15pm On Jul 10, 2017
LightandDarkness:

They both created the demand for slaves and enslaved Africans, how could they create the demand for slave trade without using Africans as slaves. Furthermore, slaves were not solely captured by locals. Can you prove either of those scenarios are wrong?

North Africa is a very large region. You are basing this on Egypt, Ethiopia, and Eritrea?.

Of course Jesus wasn't an European and probably wasn't white, makes you wonder why the missionaries presented a white Jesus to the africans. How Christianity arrived in Europe is not particularly relevant to this discussion focused on africa-more specifically Nigeria.

In my previous post i said. "Kingdoms that resisted missionaries and colonial rule were subjugated using warfare." The Sokoto Caliphate was one of those kingdoms, largely an Islamic caliphate and one of the most organized governmental systems at the time, military conquest presented the only way to take the caliphate. Lord lugard himself took the caliphate and cemented British rule which made it possible to amalgamate Nigeria. Religious control prior was not possible and religious control after wasn't necessary when military subjugation had been achieved. The relationship between Christianity and colonialism can be more clearly seen in the south.

Error 1: Please which missionary presented "white Jesus" to Nigerians? What is his name? ( I pray u answer )

Error 2: You have now admitted that the gospel was not used for colonialism in the north(which makes up a larger landmass of Nigeria) so the argument of linking colonialism and christianity is defeated. Colonialism would have still taken place. Obviously.

Thirdly, India, Pakistan, Malaysia, Afghanistan etc etc were all colonised by europeans and Americans, These countries are not Christian countries.
Please how did that happen?

By now, your trying to lump christianity with colonialism is gone.
And besides the people who you claimed are responsible for Christianity are now practicing strange things like Homosexuality.
Please if our Christianity is from them, why are we not copying and following these strange doctrines with them?
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2017
felixomor:

Error 1: Please which missionary presented "white Jesus" to Nigerians? What is his name? ( I pray u answer )

Error 2: You have now admitted that the gospel was not used for colonialism in the north(which makes up a larger landmass of Nigeria) so the argument of linking colonialism and christianity is defeated. Colonialism would have still taken place. Obviously.

Thirdly, India, Pakistan, Malaysia, Afghanistan etc etc were all colonised by europeans and Americans, These countries are not Christian countries.
Please how did that happen?

By now, your trying to lump christianity with colonialism is gone.
And besides the people who you claimed are responsible for Christianity are now practicing strange things like Homosexuality.
Please if our Christianity is from them, why are we not copying and following these strange doctrines with them?

I don't need to name a specific missionary. All the artistic depictions at the time presented Jesus as a white European, a simple Google search will show this is the case today. I suspected a racial motive for the depictions of Jesus as white.

So because religion did not play a part in the establishment of colonial rule in the north that means it had no role in the establishment of colonial rule in Nigeria? Sorry that makes no sense. Regardless of if colonial rule would have been established in the south anyway it doesn't mean religion did not play any role whatsoever.

Different countries different approaches. Those counties already had established, unified, religious practices. The regions that became Pakistan, Malaysia, and Afghanistan had already been ruled by several Islamic caliphates and kingdoms. Hinduism had already been well established in India. So in those ways they were similar to the Sokoto Caliphate. So how? Military conquest.

They modernized and became secular. Christianity now has little influence on the lives of citizens. Are you disputing the role of Europeans in the spread of Christianity?
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by felixomor: 3:29pm On Jul 10, 2017
LightandDarkness:

I don't need to name a specific missionary. All the artistic depictions at the time presented Jesus as a white European, a simple Google search will show this is the case today. I suspected a racial motive for the depictions of Jesus as white.
- The fact that you cant name a missionary clearly nullifies the argument. You only speculated.

As a matter of fact, the earliest missionaries were down to earth people who even learnt local languages and even worked with local interpreters and bible translators.
They never presented any pictures. The picture you see today is of Robert Powell the first major actor who played the role of Jesus. besides some early churches (even in Europe and N.Africa) also have pictures of tanned and black Jesus.

LightandDarkness:

So because religion did not play a part in the establishment of colonial rule in the north that means it had no role in the establishment of colonial rule in Nigeria? Sorry that makes no sense. Regardless of if colonial rule would have been established in the south anyway it doesn't mean religion did not play any role whatsoever.

So Now it is "Play role".....
Well that clearly counters the argument. Its now obvious Christianity was not forced on anybody as you tried to make it look before.

LightandDarkness:

Different countries different approaches. Those counties already had established, unified, religious practices. The regions that became Pakistan, Malaysia, and Afghanistan had already been ruled by several Islamic caliphates and kingdoms. Hinduism had already been well established in India. So in those ways they were similar to the Sokoto Caliphate. So how? Military conquest.
Wrong, again you speculate
India for example have many tribes and gods also just like Africa.
So that is not the reason. The reason is simple: They did not accept, period.
Christianity wasn't forced.
-

LightandDarkness:

They modernized and became secular. Christianity now has little influence on the lives of citizens.
-Who modernised? Forget that.
Nigerians saw Christianity and accepted willingly, not forced.
After all, many people rejected it also.
Its even after, colonisation that more gospel was preached in Nigeria.

LightandDarkness:

Are you disputing the role of Europeans in the spread of Christianity?
No, I AM not, Unless you want to spin words again
Even the Average Christian on the street has a role in the spread of Christianity......

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 10, 2017
felixomor:

- The fact that you cant name a missionary clearly nullifies the argument. You only speculated.

As a matter of fact, the earliest missionaries were down to earth people who even learnt local languages and even worked with local interpreters and bible translators.
They never presented any pictures. The picture you see today is of Robert Powell the first major actor who played the role of Jesus. besides some early churches (even in Europe and N.Africa) also have pictures of tanned and black Jesus.

So Now it is "Play role".....
Well that clearly counters the argument. Its now obvious Christianity was not forced on anybody as you tried to make it look before.

Wrong, again you speculate
India for example have many tribes and gods also just like Africa.
So that is not the reason. The reason is simple: They did not accept, period.
Christianity wasn't forced.
-

-Who modernised? Forget that.
Nigerians saw Christianity and accepted willingly, not forced.
After all, many people rejected it also.
Its even after, colonisation that more gospel was preached in Nigeria.

No, I AM not, Unless you want to spin words again
Even the Average Christian on the street has a role in the spread of Christianity......

It doesn't, good thing I said the missionaries not a specific missionary. Is it not a fact that the artistic depictions (note I didn't mention an actor) of Jesus are of an European man?

Are you more interested in my wording or the factuality of my argument. Are you suggesting everyone accepted Christianity willingly?

No. They had kingdoms and empires were one specific religion was central, very much unlike the region that was to become Nigeria. You were the one that brought those countries up, you cannot use them as a defence when they were not relevant in the first place.

If you are not rejecting it then what is the point of bringing up acceptance of homosexuality in those countries and not in Nigeria?
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:06pm On Jul 10, 2017
felixomor:

Sorry thats hypocrisy.

Woah ! I learnt a lot bro . Thanks .

But this is wicked sha , so Nairaland atheists like sonofluc1fer , realmindz who have been peddling false information will no longer have more none sense to spew . Chai ... Atheism is getting emptier day by day

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by felixomor: 8:21pm On Jul 10, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Woah ! I learnt a lot bro . Thanks .

But this is wicked sha , so Nairaland atheists like sonofluc1fer , realmindz who have been peddling false information will no longer have more none sense to spew . Chai ... Atheism is getting emptier day by day

Sure brother.
There has never been any logic in it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by blueAgent(m): 1:42pm On Jul 11, 2017
Almaheed:

Lol.....I love this your comment,especially were you mentioned spiritual forces Africans should know better what demons and witches are.
Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by blueAgent(m): 1:43pm On Jul 11, 2017
LightandDarkness:

You say you have never heard of him? then you are a contract Atheists.

1 Like

Re: There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. by blueAgent(m): 1:47pm On Jul 11, 2017
LightandDarkness:

Africans were already enslaving thems with traditional rituals and had slave trade with the Arabs long before Europeans came.Europeans were not responsible for introducing slavary into Africa. google can help you out.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

33 Reasons To Abstain From Porn / Breaking News: COZA Senior Pastor Steps Aside - / I Have Lost My Zeal For Attending Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.