Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,826 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist (23155 Views)

Abba Kyari Tried To Clean Up Nigeria, Says The Economist Of London / Ben Ayade And Ivara Esu, His Deputy: Nobody Knows Tomorrow / The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 7:38am On Jul 14, 2017
kikake:

Did you not read me write that land mass is never used as a criterion to divide a country onto states or regions or local government councils?

The northern part of Russia is nearly half of the Russian federation by land mass, but that northern Russia does not have up to 1/5 of Russia's political units, like regions or states, and representatives in Russia's Parliament.

Nigeria's states should have been created based on near equal proportions between then three regions -north, southeast and southwest - that entered into independent Nigeria in 1960.
Who said landmass is never a criteria to create local government or states? Is it illegal? Which international or national law forbids it? Dont you realize that every country creates entities according to the peculiarities inherent in its polity? Moreover,cant you see that states in nigeria are created based on population etc? Why using only russia? What do we share in common with them?
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 7:45am On Jul 14, 2017
walexbiz:

Why are you people so unfriendly with the truth, yes we know there are desert which densely populated, but are you telling me that Texas is more populated than New York...nah the truth is the southern part of the country is environmentally friendly than the northern part of the country which is becoming arid
Sir,dont be smart by half or contradict yourself.you accepted that some deserts are populated so dont recant.its not only due to environmental factors that people settle anywhere.i have reeled out several desert nations that are heavily populated.several areas of the north are more assessible and friendlier than some southern parts.the north is not as arid as you think if not they wont culrivate most of our cash and food crops
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Chukazu: 7:48am On Jul 14, 2017
Now this is what real restructuring should address.
The reason why Kebbi state would present under age voters during election and include citizens from Niger Republic during census is because of what they gain from our imbalance monthly federal allocations
In the same vain the Yoruba can add neighboring citizens of Benin Republic and Togo to their population and the Ijaws can add neighboring "Mami water*" shocked shocked from the seas, e no concern mua

Now imagine the same Kebbi state would unashamedly register a "paltry" 200* students for a more important thing as Jamb examination and that tells you the value system

When we deemphasis on federal allocations a lot of these imbalances would be corrected and this is what real restructuring should be

4 Likes

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by asha80(m): 7:50am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:

Sir abagworo,i am one of your ardent admirers and followers.i dont want to argue with you based on my fervour towards you but i must.how can all the natives of ekwusigo be 400,000 worldwide when much of its present population is non indigenous and all ibos commonly state that 40 to 50% of ibos are outside their homeland.no place in this world can have more of its native population outside than at home(except israelis,jews) except war torn countries.i will agree with your earlier assertion that anambra and imo have the highest natives only in southern nigeria but that doesnt make the south more populated than the north indigenously or otherwise.kano,katsina,kaduna,borno,niger,bauchi,benue has more natives than anambra.even akwa ibom,oyo,delta,osun,edo,ogun rival anambra and imo
i dont think you understand igbo migratory patterns

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by iKnowevents(m): 7:52am On Jul 14, 2017
20CRATES:

Population density is a combination of two factors, population and SIZE.
Rwanda has a higher population density than Nigeria but is smaller than Nigeria in population by far, because of its small size Simply put, it is more tightly packed buy contains less people.

In case you don't know Yorubas and Hausas are both more populated than Igbos, but both have more land. The whole South East sef is just about Oyo state size plus small Jara.

You people and chestbeating, every opportunity, every issue must be twisted for air-bloated boasts. The whole of South-East can be contained in Oyo? Why not the Whole of South-East being the size of Lagos, the one of the smallest state in the federation?

Discussion sine intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by es144000: 7:57am On Jul 14, 2017
There is already a solution ;make it compulsory within a period for every Nigerian to be registered with the NIMC and the population will be known. There will be no manipulation. India with a population of over 1b registered all her citizens in 5 years using biometrics including iris scan.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Chukazu: 8:02am On Jul 14, 2017
joyandfaith:

there is no where in world where deserts will be more populated that tropical rain forest.

I don't think the issue bothers on population, the problem is a system that focuses on revenue sharing rather than revenue generation

If the "cash cow" oil revenues dries up, those who created states up and down would be forced to marge several states into one, because they are simply not economically viable and we have seen that with the current price fluctuations in crude oil as states are struggling to pay salaries.. So imagine what happens if the oil dries up

As far as population is concerned, there factors you can't wish away.. Like religion, culture and and society.. Eg:

1.how many Igbo men still marry more than one wife?
2.How early does and average Igbo men get married?
But sincerely you can agree that those scenarios are still very much practical in the North and South West, they can still marry multiple wives and have multiple children because culture and traditions allows it, but it's almost alien in the South East

For goodness sake, I don't care who is more populous than me, it doesn't make me less of a person. Just have a system that is equitable for all.. And the Northerners can marry five wives and bear multiple children, it doesn't bother me

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 8:05am On Jul 14, 2017
asha80:
i dont think you understand igbo migratory patterns
Please dont misunderstand me not arguing ibo population and migration.but let me add that being ubiquitous and conspicuous doesnt make one the most numerous ethnicity if not the jews and the israelites would be the most numerous groups.meanwhile,i think that the ibos are the 2nd largest tribe in the country
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by asha80(m): 8:17am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:

Please dont misunderstand me not arguing ibo population and migration.but let me add that being ubiquitous and conspicuous doesnt make one the most numerous ethnicity if not the jews and the israelites would be the most numerous groups.meanwhile,i think that the ibos are the 2nd largest tribe in the country
i was referring to your thought about no way population of a group would be more outside their hometowns than in their hometowns except the Jews..i can bet you population of ozubulu people you were using as argument would be more outside ozubulu if you combine the ones living in lagos,kano,ph and abuja alone..migratory patterns of igbos tend towards more economic buoyant centers so abagworo was right in what he said..heck even if it is onitsha or aba a native of these places would not think twice to migrate to somewhere less economically vibrant if his pocket is going to get bigger than remaining in onitsha or aba.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by murmee: 8:17am On Jul 14, 2017
ONYEUTALI:
This is another shameful lie that'll be busted on the faces of the Nigerian elites when Biafra goes. The North will be forced to tell themselves the truth about their population. Right now they're feeding on Southern Tax money claiming they have 70 percent of the Nigerian population.
Which other country in West Africa had more population in the North than in the South? Why was Nigeria's different? Why does International Maps show condensed population in the South and Nigerian Maps does otherwise?
It hurt me to believe ordinary Aboki has been cheating me for 57 years. Where the hell did the Illiterate North get this smartness from?
They got it from Britain which has been their Ally and supporter from the beginning of Nigeria's independence!
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 14, 2017
I was a supervisor during the 2006 census in Zamfara state,Gummi LGA.What I saw with my eyes really opened my eyes to understand the kind of people Northerners are: liars,greedy,dishonest and absolutely hopeless without oil money.

Local government areas are like grave yards until whenever they hear that allocation has been distributed,they start rushing like bees to suck up the mony without shame.

In my area of supervision,they forced me to inflate the actual figure by 3 and I refused and they had to replace me with someone else.They went as far as creating figures with all their finger prints so as to manipulate and inflate their population.The nomads would move from place to place and kept on getting enumerated.

The South is truely more populated than the North in all ramification and they are the reason for Nigeria's backwardness because they tend to shy away from development.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Kfed4ril(m): 8:25am On Jul 14, 2017
EazyMoh:

Landmass of the north = 786,754sqrkm
Total landmass of Nigeria= 923,768sqrkm
Therefore landmass of Southern Nigeria =>
923,768sqrkm - 786,754sqrkm = 137,032sqrkm
786,754/137,032 = 5.74
So actually the North is even 5.74 times The south in terms of landmass!
Or do you think everyone is like you people who are comfortable telling lies to the whole world.

Bro I get you but the Nigerian map is a political map.
You been educated please explain to me how benue state should be a northern state.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by joyandfaith: 8:29am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:

Madam,your beginning to annoy me.didnt i earlier state that there are more immigrants from niger,cameroun,chad,mali than togolese and benin imiigrants and there are mostly in the north? I also postulated that immigrant population is too minor to be factored since our population is mainly made of indigenous nigerians
am not a woman,pls. these immigrants even from Niger, Mali etc are also in South. you will think they are hausas.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Kfed4ril(m): 8:32am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:

Pakistanis have a dispersed settlement,they dwell everywhere not just the fertile areas.stop this your theory of most people dwelling in fertile areas.i have even so called fertile areas like cross river and anambra to show you that even such areas have empty landmass.i have used china,india and pakistan to show you that areas with high birth rates would always have a high population.
In one breathe,you claim that the fulanis graze in the south because the north is a desert.again,you again claimed that the fulanis graze in the south because of more population.do cows eat people or grass? I thought grazing in the south is part of an islamisation agenda as you would later claim in another thread.the north you claim to be a desert and infertile is where most of our agricultural products are cultivated and used our arable south.dont forget that even some forested areas are largely uninhabited like the amazon forest un brazil,hurtgen forest in germany.
Even when the british counted us,the north was found to be more populous.even if they manipulated it,it would still be far more credible than our own figures.its not possible that they would favour muslims against christians like themselves as erroneously believed by southerners.let me also add that they are more ethnicities in the south than in the north

I disagree with you on the last part( ethnicity)
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by davidif: 8:39am On Jul 14, 2017
nyben4eva:
I was a supervisor during the 2006 census in Zamfara state,Gummi LGA.What I saw with my eyes really opened my eyes to understand the kind of people Northerners are: liars,greedy,dishonest and absolutely hopeless without oil money.

Local government areas are like grave yards until whenever they hear that allocation has been distributed,they start rushing like bees to suck up the mony without shame.

In my area of supervision,they forced me to inflate the actual figure by 3 and I refused and they had to replace me with someone else.They went as far as creating figures with all their finger prints so as to manipulate and inflate their population.The nomads would move from place to place and kept on getting enumerated.

The South is truely more populated than the North in all ramification and they are the reason for Nigeria's backwardness because they tend to shy away from development.

Where you able to read that research paper I posted in the front page?
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Sonoyom(m): 8:40am On Jul 14, 2017
Ok
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Chukazu: 8:41am On Jul 14, 2017
iKnowevents:

You people and chestbeating, every opportunity, every issue must be twisted for air-bloated boasts. The whole of South-East can be contained in Oyo? Why not the Whole of South-East being the size of Lagos, the one of the smallest state in the federation?

Discussion sine intelligence.

Very apt!.. Ama click the follow button
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Amberon11: 8:41am On Jul 14, 2017
Google maps will cure your own ignorance. I won't even engage you any further.
EazyMoh:

See ignorance! I smdh!
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by joyandfaith: 8:42am On Jul 14, 2017
Chukazu:

I don't think the issue bothers on population, the problem is a system that focuses on revenue sharing rather than revenue generation

If the "cash cow" oil revenues dries up, those who created states up and down would be forced to marge several states into one, because they are simply not economically viable and we have seen that with the current price fluctuations in crude oil as states are struggling to pay salaries.. So imagine what happens if the oil dries up

As far as population is concerned, there factors you can't wish away.. Like religion, culture and and society.. Eg:

1.how many Igbo men still marry more than one wife?
2.How early does and average Igbo men get married?
But sincerely you can agree that those scenarios are still very much practical in the North and South West, they can still marry multiple wives and have multiple children because culture and traditions allows it, but it's almost alien in the South East

For goodness sake, I don't care who is more populous than me, it doesn't make me less of a person. Just have a system that is equitable for all.. And the Northerners can marry five wives and bear multiple children, it doesn't bother me

I agree to some extent I do not believe in Government voodoo figures. the point of discussion is that can we use land mass and birth rates to determine population size without actual census? No. other factors need to be considered. can real census ever be conducted in Nigeria? No. do we population of this country? No. which region has larger population size? nobody knows. what is way forward? national database.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Amberon11: 8:44am On Jul 14, 2017
I was actually referring to the core north and not the middle belt. I don't consider the middle belt to be in the north just as most middle beltans don't consider themselves northerners.
senatordave1:

How dare you utter such fallacy? Is benue state a desert? Is it not more fertile than almost all southern states? Kogi,kwara,plateau,taraba,nasarawa,abuja,gombe are not deserts.most part of the north are not deserts.its just that the sahara is encroaching into the northernmost part of states like sokoto,borno,yobe,jigawa,katsina,kaduna,kano,zamfara.many of the creeks and swampy areas of the niger delta are largely uninhabited.the heavily forested area of akamkpa in cross river is sparsely populated.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Nobody: 8:49am On Jul 14, 2017
davidif:

Where you able to read that research paper I posted in the front page?

No,what's it about?
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Chukazu: 8:58am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:

How dare you utter such fallacy? Is benue state a desert? Is it not more fertile than almost all southern states? Kogi,kwara,plateau,taraba,nasarawa,abuja,gombe are not deserts.most part of the north are not deserts.its just that the sahara is encroaching into the northernmost part of states like sokoto,borno,yobe,jigawa,katsina,kaduna,kano,zamfara.many of the creeks and swampy areas of the niger delta are largely uninhabited.the heavily forested area of akamkpa in cross river is sparsely populated.

What you posited(some) is another fallacy we have to deal with, most of those states you mentioned are Not North, states like
KWARA, PLATEAU, NASARAWA, ABUJA, AND KOGI are middle belt, but Gowon succeeded in looping them to the north through his " divide and rule " coup and that is one of the issues the article mentioned
So when elections and census come we call them as North, but when it's time for real responsibility and accountability, we refer to them as middle belt undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by davidif: 9:15am On Jul 14, 2017
nyben4eva:

No,what's it about?

The problems with the 2006 census.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by redsun(m): 9:19am On Jul 14, 2017
You need to enter an average Nigerian government office to see how information are kept in 21st century digital age. It still look like something from the dark age or rather not age of human development,with dusty files lying all over the available dusty surfaces,holes on the dusty floors,and obviously no electricity. And if you are unfortunate to want to use the toilet,you will literally step into a dungeon with no electricity, no tissue paper,no antibacterial soap and obviously no water.

A country without a data base can not conduct accurate population census. Even a blind man will know that arid and sparsely inhabited north can be more populated than fertile and densely inhabited south.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by princemidon(m): 9:41am On Jul 14, 2017
davidif:

Dude, almost every region does it. It might be convenient to blame the North but this is a nationwide thing.

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by NafeesaAA(f): 9:51am On Jul 14, 2017
Pre independence census result of Nigeria and guess what? The North is more populated

2 Likes

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 9:57am On Jul 14, 2017
nyben4eva:

In my area of supervision,they forced me to inflate the actual figure by 3 and I refused and they had to replace me with someone else.They went as far as creating figures with all their finger prints so as to manipulate and inflate their population.The nomads would move from place to place and keBypt on getting enumerated.

Same manipulations occur down south.the average northerner is much more honest and truthful than a southerner.try doing business with them.same way we manipulate election results nationwde is how census is also manipulated.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 9:58am On Jul 14, 2017
nyben4eva:

In my area of supervision,they forced me to inflate the actual figure by 3 and I refused and they had to replace me with someone else.They went as far as creating figures with all their finger prints so as to manipulate and inflate their population.The nomads would move from place to place and keept on getting enumerated.

Same manipulations occur down south.the average northerner is much more honest and truthful than a southerner.try doing business with them.same way we manipulate election results nationwde is how census is also manipulated.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 10:03am On Jul 14, 2017
Kfed4ril:

I disagree with you on the last part( ethnicity)
Why? Its a common fact that out of the over 300 ethnicities,most are in the north.the north east contain over 100 tribes.adamawa state has over 70.they are less than 100 tribes in the south.i can point them out if u wish.please,dont try to counter till you confirm the above assertions.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by MAYOWAAK: 10:17am On Jul 14, 2017
redsun:
You need to enter an average Nigerian government office to see how information are kept in 21st century digital age. It still look like something from the dark age or rather not age of human development,with dusty files lying all over the available dusty surfaces,holes on the dusty floors,and obviously no electricity. And if you are unfortunate to want to use the toilet,you will literally step into a dungeon with no electricity, no tissue paper,no antibacterial soap and obviously no water.

A country without a data base can not conduct accurate population census. Even a blind man will know that arid and sparsely inhabited north can be more populated than fertile and densely inhabited south.

I was at the so called National Library in Abuja yesterday. There was no electricity, library users were fanning themselves, some of them used the torch on their phones to provide illumination.The books on the shelf were not only torn but antiquated. I doubt if this country can be still be salvaged.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Is Neither Pregnant Nor Sick - Sulaiman Haruna (Aide) / Troops Ambush And Killed Scores Of Terrorists At Mandara (Photo) / S/East APC Presents Member Elect Of Accord Party To Oshiomhole As Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.