Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,629 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? (6611 Views)

Why Didnt They Mention Igbo Or Yoruba In Any History Before 19th century / Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. / I Want To Learn Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by EazyFrenzy(f): 11:43am On Jul 10, 2017
Among the Nigeria's three major languages, which do you think is the easiest to learn for a foreigner and which culture is most receptive and accommodating?
Sincere opinion poll. give reasons with examples base on encounter and experience.
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by 20CRATES(m): 11:43am On Jul 10, 2017
For Yoruba Language and culture, click Like

15 Likes

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by 20CRATES(m): 11:44am On Jul 10, 2017
For Igbo Language and culture, click Like

11 Likes

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by 20CRATES(m): 11:45am On Jul 10, 2017
For Hausa Language and culture, click Like

5 Likes

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by LionDeLeo: 12:12pm On Jul 10, 2017
OP, just remove hausa from the list.

I have come across ibos and Yorubas speaking hausa as per jakin kano (figuratively, born and bred in kano), have never seen same the reverse for ibo & yoruba.

Even Southern corpers that served in the north can't attest to that, Hausa is the by far the easiest.

1 Like

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 10, 2017
Don't know which is easiest but I was told that Igbo seemed to be the hardest....and this wasn't from an Igbo person who told me.
I certainly don't know though undecided
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by 20CRATES(m): 12:08am On Jul 12, 2017
Let's keep the discussion going.

Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Probz(m): 3:29am On Jul 12, 2017
It obviously won't be Igbo. Even I'm not as fluent as I should be.
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by agadez007(m): 6:43am On Jul 12, 2017
I dont think there is Anything such as a Easy and Hard Language,just the zeal to Learn it

Reasons why people find Igbo hard is cos Many Igbo speak English or atleast pidgin English Fluently and not Willing to teach Another the Igbo langugae so There is no Need to learn the Language since you can easily Communicate with them in English or Broken unlike the Hausa Language where A lot dont Understand English so the Easiest way to Communicate with them is by Learning the Hausa Language and The Hausas are more than willing to Teach you their Language

Take Urhobo Language for Example,i have met Many Igbos born and Bred in Warri but dont Even know what is Come in Urhobo langugae because Urhobo People all speak Atleast Pidgin

I remember when i Decided to Learn Hausa because people was Saying itwas Easy,it was very difficult for me that i dropped the Idea of Learning it

2 Likes

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Probz(m): 7:38am On Jul 12, 2017
agadez007:
I dont think there is Anything such as a Easy and Hard Language,just the zeal to Learn it

Reasons why people find Igbo hard is cos Many Igbo speak English or atleast pidgin English Fluently and not Willing to teach Another the Igbo langugae so There is no Need to learn the Language since you can easily Communicate with them in English or Broken unlike the Hausa Language where A lot dont Understand English so the Easiest way to Communicate with them is by Learning the Hausa Language and The Hausas are more than willing to Teach you their Language

Take Urhobo Language for Example,i have met Many Igbos born and Bred in Warri but dont Even know what is Come in Urhobo langugae because Urhobo People all speak Atleast Pidgin

I remember when i Decided to Learn Hausa because people was Saying itwas Easy,it was very difficult for me that i dropped the Idea of Learning it
Some languages are harder to learn than others though. Our intonation's not easy.
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by agadez007(m): 9:38am On Jul 12, 2017
Probz:
Some languages are harder to learn than others though. Our intonation's not easy.
Is English Language Easy,to Some it is to Others its hard

do a Search on Youtube on MrGhanababy who speaks Chinese and he Hasnt been in China more than 4 years,Does that mean Chinese is Easy?

1 Like

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Probz(m): 12:33pm On Jul 12, 2017
agadez007:
Is English Language Easy,to Some it is to Others its hard

do a Search on Youtube on MrGhanababy who speaks Chinese and he Hasnt been in China more than 4 years,Does that mean Chinese is Easy?
Drop this blind defence thing you've got going on. Everyone knows Igbo's a hard language to learn
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by seunny4lif(m): 4:10pm On Jul 12, 2017
Igbo is the hardest

1 Like

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by agadez007(m): 5:14pm On Jul 12, 2017
Probz:
Drop this blind defence thing you've got going on. Everyone knows Igbo's a hard language to learn
Your Opinion
Everyone is Entitled to their opinion
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 9:11pm On Jul 12, 2017
Probz:
Someone challenges you with superior argument and instead of you to tackle it, you're calling it blind defence. It's not enough to say that Igbo is harder than Hausa and Yoruba without giving concrete reasons. At least allow those that think contrary to air their opinions without suffocating them.

1 Like

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Probz(m): 9:32pm On Jul 12, 2017
Afam4eva:

Someone challenges you with superior argument and instead of you to tackle it, you're calling it blind defence. It's not enough to say that Igbo is harder than Hausa and Yoruba without giving concrete reasons. At least allow those that think contrary to air their opinions without suffocating them.
"Igbo language is difficult because of the huge number of dialects, its richness in prefixes and suffixes and its heavy intonation."

I've said my own. I didn't know I was even being challenged by superior argument.

1 Like

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 9:38pm On Jul 12, 2017
Probz:
"Igbo language is difficult because of the huge number of dialects, its richness in prefixes and suffixes and its heavy intonation."

I've said my own. I didn't know I was even being challenged by superior argument.
Whether superior or not respect people's opinion.

Now you have stated reasons why you think Igbo language is more difficult. One of which is because of the huge number of dialects. If i were to tell you that not only Igbo language has a huge number of dialect which is a valid argument, You'll tell me to forget it and just accept the fact that everyone knows that Igbo language is the hardest. Learn to look at things from other vantage points.

2 Likes

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by jotey(m): 12:22pm On Jul 13, 2017
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by jotey(m): 12:23pm On Jul 13, 2017
depends on where you grew up
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 12:29pm On Jul 13, 2017
jotey:
depends on where you grew up
Exactly. They're comparing an Igbo person who learned Yoruba in Lagos to a Yoruba person who wants to learn Igbo from an Igbo person also in Lagos. If you want to learn Igbo effectively, go to Igboland.

4 Likes

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by scholes0(m): 1:10pm On Jul 13, 2017
I don't know why that 5th poster and some people are saying Hausa is so easy.
I didn't find it easy at all, and was always forgetting stuff when I tried to learn.
The reason people think its easy is because , when you go to live in Kano or Katsina for like 8 months or a year, you are almost constantly innundated by the mass of Hausa speakers around and before you know- you start unconsciously picking up stuff, unlike the south where it would also be common to hear some English or pidgin.
It actually isn't as easy.

I am a Niger-Congo man and I think Yoruba is easiest from what I have heard from others and from what I've seen. Then Igbo (although most times Igbos are not too eager about teaching their language to people or informing others of their culture, dunno why. Pronunciations are also more complex and sound very ethnic) then Hausa (which has the most geographical reach anf everyday use in the North, but can use a whole paragraph to describe a very simple event that won't even take 10 words in Yoruba). In that order.

That a language is very accessible doesn't mean it is easy.

2 Likes

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by krushdripper(m): 2:45pm On Jul 13, 2017
Hausa is the easiest to learn, followed by yoruba, then igbo the hardest. Reason is the complication in intonation. smileyHausa is the easiest to learn, followed by yoruba, then igbo the hardest. Reason is the complication in intonation.
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by agadez007(m): 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2017
Afam4eva:

Bless you

I speak both Igbo and Yoruba so its not as if I dont know what i am talking About here
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by agadez007(m): 4:27pm On Jul 13, 2017
ZaraGift:

Yea it's the zeal to learn, my grand mother read Igbo bible and other books freely like I read in English, she doesn't know the meaning of "come" or ''no", she doesn't understand any English word but read and right Igbo freely/easily

I find it amazing because it very difficult for me to do
how did she learn to Read without learning English first,is it Possible?
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:46pm On Jul 13, 2017
scholes0:
I don't know why that 5th poster and some people are saying Hausa is so easy.
I didn't find it easy at all, and was always forgetting stuff when I tried to learn.
The reason people think its easy is because , when you go to live in Kano or Katsina for like 8 months or a year, you are almost constantly innundated by the mass of Hausa speakers around and before you know- you start unconsciously picking up stuff, unlike the south where it would also be common to hear some English or pidgin.
It actually isn't as easy.

I am a Niger-Congo man and I think Yoruba is easiest from what I have heard from others and from what I've seen. Then Igbo (although most times Igbos are not too eager about teaching their language to people or informing others of their culture, dunno why. Pronunciations are also more complex and sound very ethnic) then Hausa (which has the most geographical reach anf everyday use in the North, but can use a whole paragraph to describe a very simple event that won't even take 10 words in Yoruba). In that order.

That a language is very accessible doesn't mean it is easy.
As humans especially as Nigerians, we're all ignorant as far as it relates to other groups that are not ours. On one hand you're saying Hausa is not te easiest just because it was not easy for you but turn around to say that Yoruba is the easiest without considering that is your native tongue. You also said Yoruba is easier because of popular opinion. If it's really based on popular opinion,then Hausa is the easiest, followed by Yoruba and then Igbo. But popular opinions should not be taken seriously as they're based on the convenience of those involved in the statistics.

Let me also fault your claim that Igbo is the hardest with your excuse that Igbo don't like teaching their language. I guess you mean Igbos that are based in Lagos or wherever you are. They should leave their jobs and start teaching you Igbo because that's what they came to lagos to do ba? Why not try learning Hausa or any other language the same way you're trying to learn Igbo and you'd see that it's the same result. The same goes for other languages that are not indegenous to a particular place.

Like i said, languages are perceived to be easier to learn due to the idiosyncrasies that are involved. For instance, in the North, Hausa is a lingua franca whereby that's the language of almost anything you can think of. It's almost like staying in France for one year and not picking up some basic french. It's true to a much lesser extent in the south-west where Yoruba along with English and Pidgin are almost neck to neck.

3 Likes

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by agadez007(m): 7:05pm On Jul 13, 2017
Wow
ZaraGift:

You don't need English to read and write another language. She only knew Igbo alphabets and pronounced every words in Igbo
thats unbelieveble
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 14, 2017
agadez007:

Over correct

1 Like

Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 14, 2017
Probz:
That's not true. No language is difficult to learn it all boils down to the individual learning it.
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 14, 2017
Afam4eva:

Exactly. They're comparing an Igbo person who learned Yoruba in Lagos to a Yoruba person who wants to learn Igbo from an Igbo person also in Lagos. If you want to learn Igbo effectively, go to Igboland.
Exactly. Why do you most persons learn Yoruba faster is because they of the environment they live. If in an environment you have more speakers of a language,it will influence you to a large extend
Re: Which is Easiest To Learn: Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba? by Probz(m): 9:39am On Jul 14, 2017
asuustrike2009:

That's not true. No language is difficult to learn it all boils down to the individual learning it.
Okay, keep thinking that way.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Contact Me On Ifa Consultation And Readings / 14 African Countries Still Pay Colonial Masters / Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.