Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:08 AM

The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape (17559 Views)

Planning An EP? / Download Full Album: Dj Khaled – Bad Boys For Life Soundtrack Lp [zip File] / A Mixtape Cover I Designed For Murderer | Protest X Kokdbee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by magazineguy(m): 7:54am On Jul 11, 2017
Mr. Eazi released Life is Eazi Vol. 1, Iyanya dropped Signature, YCEE put out First Wave and some fans are referring to these projects as albums.

While these projects are compilations of songs, and they share a number of other features with what is generally known as ‘studio albums’, it is important to point out that they are not studio albums. Rather, they are called EPs, an abbreviation for Extended Play.

Studio albums on the other hand, are referred to as LP, meaning, Long Play. It is quite easy to confuse an EP for a LP, especially with the wave of EP releases sweeping across the Nigerian music industry. From the many musical projects in the market, some fans struggle to see the line of distinction between an EP and a LP.

In very simple terms, an EP is a body of work containing more than one song but does not contain enough songs to be classified as a studio album. Usually EPs contain about 4 to 9 songs; a good example is YCEE’s First Wave project, which had 8 constituent songs. A musical project could also be classified as an EP on the basis of its length. An EP is expected to be between 25 to 40 minutes in length.

Studio albums are considered full albums. More people are familiar with this kind of musical project. They usually contain a minimum of 10 tracks, and the length of play is usually upwards of 40 minutes. On an average, fans expect that within the space of two to three years, all things considered, a new LP from their favourite artiste should be in the stores. However, this is not a standard principle. In some cases album releases could be more frequent while some could take longer. While an album is being compiled; singles, videos, mixtapes, EPs are some of the ways artistes entertain their fans.

In the same way EP and LP are wrongly interchanged, people sometimes mix-up mixtapes for EPs, but a mixtapes is another category of musical projects which could contain original or unoriginal works of the artiste. For a lot of artistes, mixtapes are seen as freebies, as the idea behind the release of a mixtape is not profit, rather, artistes use it to grow their fan base. M.I’s Illegal Music series or Show Dem Camp’s Clone Wars are good examples.

Contrary to how it is generally perceived, mixtapes and EPs are not limited to the rap community. Artistes making other genre of music get to release mixtapes and EPs. A perfect type of a non-rap EP is War put together by the clique of Odunsi & Nonso Amadi. The RnB/Soul singing duo put together an amazing 4 track long EP, which is helping them grow their reach in the circle of music lovers inside and outside of Nigeria.

With the observable growth that the Nigerian music industry is experiencing, artistes are constantly looking for new and better ways to entertain their fans. This is why they go on to compile different musical project to achieve specific goals. The fact that a lot of these projects are available to the fans, with little clarity on their differences, could cause confusion for some fans. It is therefore necessary to identify the different musical projects available and their distinguishing feature as is done in this article.

Source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/difference-lp-ep-mixtape/

cc
lalasticala, mynd44, dominique

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by donwhales38(m): 8:12am On Jul 11, 2017
Nice info

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by kiddoiLL(m): 8:19am On Jul 11, 2017
cool
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by Djicemob: 8:21am On Jul 11, 2017
EP: Released after an album,sort of like a continuation or conclusive part of an artiste previous album.Usually short in length.

LP: A full compilation of songs or body of work.

Mixtape: Usually sampled tracks and experimental body of work often dished out for free.

But naija artistes often get it twisted,an artiste without an album to his or her name releases a body of work and calls it an EP just to feel trendy.'Every body dey release something the call am EP,me sef my I do my own'.

A rapper releases an album and calls it mixtape.Cos it's the latest thing on board.

I am not understanding.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by holatin(m): 8:46am On Jul 11, 2017
nice one op but even sum artiste wey dey release am self no know the difference talkless of NATIONAL LISTENING AGENT like us

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by SeniorZato(m): 8:47am On Jul 11, 2017
My oga at the top, i hail ooooo
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by mikool007(m): 8:47am On Jul 11, 2017

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by veekid(m): 8:47am On Jul 11, 2017
Na EP Nigerian noise makers dey produce these days
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by naijaboiy: 8:47am On Jul 11, 2017
People didn't know this?
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by nairaman66(m): 8:48am On Jul 11, 2017
When is AirForce1 bring his TP, Truth Play. Because he had been lying all year round!! grin

10 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 11, 2017
Djicemob:
EP: Released after an album,sort of like a continuation or conclusive part of an artiste previous album.Usually short in length.

LP: A full of compilation of songs or body of work.

Mixtape: Usually sampled tracks and experimental body of work giving often dished out for free.

Thanks for going straight to the point

8 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by YorubaNigga(m): 8:48am On Jul 11, 2017
Who u epp?

I'm a living thing
Awon temi chache
Won chache loru moju cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by faruz: 8:50am On Jul 11, 2017
angry
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by naijaboiy: 8:52am On Jul 11, 2017
Djicemob:

LP: A full of compilation of songs or body of work.

Mixtape: Usually sampled tracks and experimental body of work giving often dished out for free.

But naija artistes often get it twisted,an artiste without an album to his or her name releases a body of work and calls it an EP just to feel trendy.'Every body dey release something the call am EP,me sef my I do my own'.

A rapper releases an album and calls it mixtape.Cos it's the latest thing on board.

I am not understanding.
Oga you're very correct! grin

These artistes be following trends when they don't even know how it's used. Some Naija artistes don't even have an album yet but they're dropping EP. Some dropped an album "five years ago" and they're dropping EP. grin

Biko what are they extending? Album that has already come and gone under the dust. undecided

I'm also not understanding.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by YesNoMaybe: 8:55am On Jul 11, 2017
Actually, the maximum length for an EP is 27 minutes. One could decide to do 27 one-minute songs; it will still be categorized as an EP.

Nice post.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by dfrost: 8:58am On Jul 11, 2017
cheesy
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by illicit(m): 8:59am On Jul 11, 2017
very educative
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by Misterdhee1(m): 9:00am On Jul 11, 2017
Odunsi and Nonso Amadi tho.. sad shocked..Exceptional talents.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by dfrost: 9:00am On Jul 11, 2017
nairaman66:
When is AirForce1 bring his TP, Truth Play. Because he had been lying all year round!! grin

Guy why nah? The guy collect something from you? cheesy grin
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by cloud7: 9:02am On Jul 11, 2017
That's interesting, Could EP be referred as Maxi-Single too?
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by pterson(m): 9:02am On Jul 11, 2017
holatin:
nice one op but even sum artiste wey dey release am self no know the difference talkless of NATIONAL LISTENING AGENT like us
#NLA I hail...
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by chyckxx(m): 9:03am On Jul 11, 2017
Op sabi songs!! Odunsi is fire. �
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by holatin(m): 9:10am On Jul 11, 2017
pterson:
#NLA I hail...
agent holatin present sir
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by holatin(m): 9:11am On Jul 11, 2017
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by pterson(m): 9:12am On Jul 11, 2017
holatin:
agent holatin present sir
Collect your medal.
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by refreshrate: 9:29am On Jul 11, 2017
Djicemob:

LP: A full compilation of songs or body of work.

Mixtape: Usually sampled tracks and experimental body of work often dished out for free.

I am not understanding.

OP this is how you should have written that your EP

This is more precise and straight to the point

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by mesheikh(m): 10:07am On Jul 11, 2017
Show dem camp clone wars vol 1 and 2, MI illegal musics... OP I luv ur taste of music.. using 2of the best naija mixtape albums as example

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 11, 2017
Never knew all this. Thumbs up OP
Listen to my new song dedicated to all Nigerian rappers at

https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/233002/
Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by Emperor119(m): 10:22am On Jul 11, 2017
it doesn't concern me... my own na to listen to music.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A LP, An EP, An Album And A Mixtape by Rick9(m): 11:25am On Jul 11, 2017
@ O.P you tried, everything is correct.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download DJ. Khaled - I’m So Grateful Ft. Sizzla / Gwingz: "Overload"  Ft. Lumsco (Video) / Iyanya - Ur Waist (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.