Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,961 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate (1636 Views)

Police Releases Statement On Dino Melaye's Arrest. See Details. / Diezani Alison-Madueke Lavished $100m On Furniture, Artworks — US / How Saraki Blackmailed INEC Boss In Order To Halt Dino's Recall- SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Yeeshanairaland: 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2017
The Nigerian Senate has reaffirmed it's position on the role of the Senate in legislative recall process, berating  the Kogi state government for its alleged role in the recall process initiated against Senator Dino Melaye representing Kogi West at the Red Chamber.

The President of the Senate who was reacting to a point of order raised by Senator Ike Ekwerenmadu on a three pages advertorial on National dailies from the office of the Kogi state Attorney‎ General who disagreed with the position of deputy Senate President Ike Ekwerenmadu on the procedure for recall process.‎

Recall that Ekwerenmadu had during a debate on the matter mentioned that the recall process must pass through the Senate for vetting after INEC must have concluded it's process.

Reacting to this position, the Kogi state Attorney General relying on section 68 subsection 8 had according according to Ekwerenmadu in his point of order contended that the senate had no role whatsoever in the recall process.

However, Ekwerenmadu as part of his point of order read out section 68 subsection 2 of the 1999 constitution as amended saying that the position of the law on the matter is that the Senate must be satisfied with the process before it could be allowed to sail through or otherwise.

He berated the Kogi state Attorney General reiterating that his knowledge of the law is limited.

The President of the Senate  Bukola Saraki who also lamented that it was unfortunate for the state government to spend a whooping 12 million Naira on adverts in response to the contribution of a lawmaker even when  the state has not been able to pay salaries described the situation as unfortunate for Kogi people.

Saraki also stated that the response from the state government, the energy and funding invested in the process shows that the state government is behind the recall process.‎

http://nuus.ng/12million-lavished-for-dinos-recall-senate/
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by GEJDHERO: 1:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
yahaya
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by three: 1:35pm On Jul 11, 2017
Sad
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by psucc(m): 1:52pm On Jul 11, 2017
Nna see finishing touches. Bello may end up making more enemies than friends in the Dino-gate.
You may agree with me that this Dino is a bad guy and his case can conveniently be handled at the polls(only if you have a better deal). As at now, it is a mission impossible.
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by PaChukwudi44(m): 1:57pm On Jul 11, 2017
Exactly what I said unless the Senate is satisfied with the outcome of the recall process, senator Dino melaye is going nowhere

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Jabioro: 1:58pm On Jul 11, 2017
How would that be the senate business, after all the Senate laid the wasteful foundations

1 Like

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by dahaz(m): 2:00pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ekweremadu should go and sit down. when the budget for the second Niger bridge was slashed he refused to protest now he is disturbing our peace on a matter that dosnt concern him

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by PaChukwudi44(m): 2:01pm On Jul 11, 2017
Jabioro:
How would that be the senate business, after all the Senate laid the wasteful foundations

When N12m is lavished on advertorials while workers are owed 15 months salary every sane Nigerian let alone senators should be bothered

2 Likes

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Boyooosa(m): 2:04pm On Jul 11, 2017
which kind constitution we have in this country? who are the people that sat down together to put up all these things wey dey contradict itself like this? One group go come in the morning come confuse us with constitution, another one go come in the afternoon come confuse us with the same constitution. I wonder not again, EFCC lost 8 cases in 30 seconds. me and person dey argue, he talk say we no get constitution, i dey defend nonsense, only me don realise now. Meanwhile, which one be Section 8 subsection 8 again abi na B the writer wan write because section 68 finish for subsection 3; infact nothing is working again seh: judiciary o, executive o, legislative o, social media, journalist, efcc, nafdac, dss n nia(infact all join). Even me and Seun sef no dey work again, let us go and meet Britain again abeg!
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 11, 2017
Pay Kogi workers/pensioners their salaries and arreas, is their any big deal about that simple responsibility from Yeye Bello's government

15months now and we are still counting, but he chose to channel his youthful energy into recalling the best senator from his state. Yes, he is the best senator from my state as far as this 8th assembly is concerned. I don't even know the name of the other two senators from my state because i have never notice their impact at the senate.

I just hope Bello will wake up on time and relize the futility of trying to recall Sen. Dino. Bello, stop wasting our bail-out fund, paris refund and allocations, do the needful for goodness sake.

If he succeed in it(which is not possible) "ajeku iya ni bello maje", and if he fails in his bid to recall him, double "ajekun iya" will surely await him.

3 Likes

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 11, 2017
This is Savagery at it's finest.

Ekweremadu really made bello look yahaya stupid

2 Likes

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 11, 2017
dahaz:
Ekweremadu should go and sit down. when the budget for the second Niger bridge was slashed he refused to protest now he is disturbing our peace on a matter that dosnt concern him
You are damn right
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by eposho: 2:15pm On Jul 11, 2017
It is irrelevant how much was spent, if the ppl want him back at all.cost who cares how much.
Let test this side of the law if it works.

2 Likes

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by adem30: 2:15pm On Jul 11, 2017
dahaz:

That was never his priority, since they cant loot from the project

1 Like

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jul 11, 2017
Jabioro:
By building helipad in Daura and cutting
Grass with #250 mmillion.

Let's continue to blame the senate

1 Like

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by ddippset(m): 2:16pm On Jul 11, 2017
People are talking about wastage of money even Saraki is talking. Kai I wish I had powers to e-slap anybody I wish to.

1 Like

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by MaziOmenuko: 2:28pm On Jul 11, 2017
However, Ekwerenmadu as part of his point of order read out section 68 subsection 2 of the 1999 constitution as amended saying that the position of the law on the matter is that the Senate must be satisfied with the process before it could be allowed to sail through or otherwise.

** I have seen the paragraph Ekweremadu was referring; let me paste it here for interpretation: This guy is smart by half. He thinks he is talking to illiterates?

The senate has a say only when a Senate is vacating his seat based on section 68 below and not based on section 69.

68. (1) A member of the Senate or of the House of Representatives shall vacate his seat in the House of which he is a member if -

(a) he becomes a member of another legislative house.

(b) any other circumstances arise that, if he were not a member of the Senate or the House of Representatives, would cause him to be disqualified for election as a member;

(c) he ceases to be a citizen of Nigeria;

(d) he becomes President, Vice-President, Governor, Deputy Governor or a Minister of the Government of the Federation or a Commissioner of the Government of a State or a Special Adviser.

(e) save as otherwise prescribed by this Constitution, he becomes a member of a commission or other body established by this Constitution or by any other law.

(f) without just cause he is absent from meetings of the House of which he is a member for a period amounting in the aggregate to more than one-third of the total number of days during which the House meets in any one year;

(g) being a person whose election to the House was sponsored by a political party, he becomes a member of another political party before the expiration of the period for which that House was elected;

Provided that his membership of the latter political party is not as a result of a division in the political party of which he was previously a member or of a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored; or

(h) the President of the Senate or, as the case may be, the Speaker of the House of Representatives receives a certificate under the hand of the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission stating that the provisions of section 69 of this Constitution have been complied with in respect of the recall of that member.

(2) The President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives, as the case may be, shall give effect to the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, so however that the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives or a member shall first present evidence satisfactory to the House concerned that any of the provisions of that subsection has become applicable in respect of that member

Now that is when the senate has a say; but when a sentor is being recalled, the senate doesn't have a say as contained in section 69 (not 68) of the constitution as pasted below:

69. A member of the Senate or of the House Representatives may be recalled as such a member if -

(a) there is presented to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission a petition in that behalf signed by more than one-half of the persons registered to vote in that member's constituency alleging their loss of confidence in that member; and

(b) the petition is thereafter, in a referendum conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission within ninety days of the date of receipt of the petition, approved by a simple majority of the votes of the persons registered to vote in that member's constituency.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by LUGBE: 2:31pm On Jul 11, 2017
My own is that Deputy Senate president should handle the Biafra matters and let kogi people do as they wish.

I can't remember kogi people requesting your legal advice kiss

We have target to achieve Biafra and referendum abi unpolitical restructuring , forget distraction

1 Like

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jul 11, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

When N12m is lavished on advertorials while workers are owed 15 months salary every sane Nigerian let alone senators should be bothered

Don't mind him, he is really very ignorant. Ask him whether he can survive 5months without salary let alone 15months(1yr and 3mnths)

1 Like

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Joshchi(m): 2:39pm On Jul 11, 2017
grin grin
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by vedaxcool(m): 2:44pm On Jul 11, 2017
[s]
PaChukwudi44:

[/s]

beerfraud and lies are

1 Like

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Geeman23(m): 3:10pm On Jul 11, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

** I have seen the paragraph Ekweremadu was referring; let me paste it here for interpretation: This guy is smart by half. He thinks he is talking to illiterates?

The senate has a say only when a Senate is vacating his seat based on section 68 below and not based on section 69.

Now that is when the senate has a say; but when a sentor is being recalled, the senate doesn't have a say as contained in section 69 (not 68) of the constitution as pasted below:

wow.By virtue of the provisional recall is actually out of the legislature power.In the event the porocess pulls through this is beginning of withering of our law makers percieved power.I was ignorant of this though.

educate more on the likely scenario.is recall provided for expressly.

1 Like

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Chiaka(f): 3:21pm On Jul 11, 2017
Misplaced Priority grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Ogashub(m): 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2017
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Geeman23(m): 4:12pm On Jul 11, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

if it sails through what will be the proof receipt of the concluded result by the senate president .I am seeing something here..clarify
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Splashme: 4:27pm On Jul 11, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
Exactly what I said unless the Senate is satisfied with the outcome of the recall process, senator Dino melaye is going nowhere
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by MaziOmenuko: 4:59pm On Jul 11, 2017
Geeman23:
if it sails through what will be the proof receipt of the concluded result by the senate president .I am seeing something here..clarify

INEC will most likely submit the result of the recall to the senate and he stands recalled. But then, this is an interesting development. It will be a blueprint for other recall processes we may have in the near future.
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by jieta: 5:22pm On Jul 11, 2017
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

beerfraud and lies are
why don't you read the article before you call him a liar.
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by vedaxcool(m): 5:25pm On Jul 11, 2017
[s]
jieta:
why don't you read the article before you call him a liar.
[/s]

Face front
Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by jieta: 5:41pm On Jul 11, 2017
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]
Face front
na back you dey face nai make you no dey fit dey comprehend

1 Like

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by vedaxcool(m): 6:37pm On Jul 11, 2017
[s]
jieta:
na back you dey face nai make you no dey fit dey comprehend
[/s]

Hodor u have been noticed

Re: 12million Lavished On Dino's Recall-senate by Splashme: 6:45pm On Jul 11, 2017
Yahaya Bello is very useless

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top Ministers To Be Sacked / EU Condemn And Caution Nigerian Military, Rejects Ipob As A Terror Group / The Secret Power Of Igbos [by Ola Orekunrin]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.