Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,575 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat (2165 Views)

RE: Appointment As Special Assistant Women Affairs (unmarried) / Governor Bala Mohammed Appoints Special Assistant On “Unmarried Women” Affairs / Ambode's Land Use Charge: A Wake Up Call To Landlords Especially Igbos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by ojlifa: 2:39pm On Jul 12, 2017
Feminists claim to promote the advancement of women and gender equality, largely via the promotion of so-called sexual liberation, but their movement is leaving a wake of unhappy, unmarried, and childless women in its path, a real problem feminists seemingly refuse to entirely address.

According to a recent study from Yale University researchers, liberated, college educated women are freezing their eggs because they can't find a man to marry and have children with before their natural childbearing years expire. In the U.K., for instance, one in five women is childless when their natural reproductive years expires, as opposed to one in ten women a mere generation prior.

So what's to blame for this onslaught of college-educated yet terribly empty women?

The short answer is feminism.

The author of the study, Marcia Inhorn, an anthropology professor at Yale University, concludes that the common assumption about women putting off children to advance their careers is mere myth. The 150 women undergoing the egg-freezing process in the U.S. and Israel who were extensively interviewed for the study, claimed they were not putting off having a family in order to advance their career, but because they simply couldn't find a mate.

Inhorn blames the problem on a shortage of college-educated men. "There is a major gap — they are literally missing men. There are not enough college graduates for them. In simple terms, this is about an oversupply of educated women,” she says.
"Most women who are educated would like to have an educated partner. Traditionally women have also wanted to ‘marry up’ to go for someone more successful, financially well off," adds the researcher.

Inhorn then goes on to blame feminism, sort of. Essentially, because of feminism, liberated women are college-educated but unhappy and alone in exchange, she argues.

“As a feminist I think it’s great that women are doing so well but I think there has been a cost that has been paid,” says Inhorn, adding that women have been left in “sadness and isolation."

But there's more going on here. Other experts allude to what Inhorn is unwilling to say: it's not simply an "oversupply" of liberated women that's driving this trend, or a liberation-happiness trade-in; it's men refusing to settle down. And for that, I'd like to thank the feminists' push for “sexual liberation.”

Let start with the evidence.

First off, some of the women interviewed by Inhorn's own team even admit that it's not simply an educational gap; women said they would marry a man who doesn't have a degree but they can't find one who wants to marry them.
Then there’s Medical Director of U.K. clinic Create Fertility, Professor Geeta Nargund, who hits the nail on the head (emphasis added): “Women tell us frequently that they are freezing their eggs because the men they meet feel threatened by their success and so unwilling to commit to starting a family together.”

President of the British Fertility Society, Professor Adam Balen, concurred (emphasis added): “We are seeing some big societal issues, in particular in some social economic groups, with young men not committing.”

And here's Executive Director of IVI, Dr. Gillian Lockwood, on Inhorn's findings: "It exacerbates the problem of men not wanting to 'settle down' and start a family until it's almost too late for the woman to conceive naturally. And if she insists, he's quite likely to leave for a younger woman whose biological clock isn't ticking quite so loudly."

Dr. Lockwood's "own survey of women doing 'social' egg freezing found the overwhelming majority of women having their eggs frozen were doing so because they could not find a partner, or because their own partner would not commit," notes The Telegraph.
Bingo.

And there's even more!

Professor Simon Fishel, who founded Care Fertility, explained based on his research (emphasis added): “Almost all of the women in the study who employed egg freezing were heterosexual and wanted to become married mothers. Women lamented the ‘missing men’ in their lives, viewing egg freezing as a way to buy time while on the continuing (online) search for a committed partner.”

Over 90% of those surveyed were not freezing their eggs to postpone childbearing to advance a career. Instead, "they were desperately ‘preserving’ their fertility beyond the natural end of their reproductive lives, because they were single without partners to marry," he said.

So back to the original claim: the so-called sexual liberation of women is indeed screwing women, and not in a good way.

Why would a man rush to settle down and marry someone if he can not only have sex with “liberated” women without a ring, but even cohabitate with them, too? Moreover, the less chaste a woman is, the less preferable she will likely be to a man. Not to mention a woman's increasing age and creeping near infertility as another massively undesirable trait.
If women demanded more from men, did not sleep around in the name of feminism, men would settle into marriage at an earlier age.

But, nonetheless, these simple truths will be rejected by feminists everywhere, clinging hard to their sad, lonely lives in exchange for empty Feminism, as they accuse any dissenter of being a misogynist.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/18358/study-feminism-leaving-wake-unhappy-unmarried-amanda-prestigiacomo#

1 Like

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by magabounce(m): 3:13pm On Jul 12, 2017
@op it's *path* not #pat
Do the needful
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by babyfaceafrica: 3:19pm On Jul 12, 2017
Not bad
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by AZeD1(m): 3:32pm On Jul 12, 2017
ojlifa:

If women demanded more from men, did not sleep around in the name of feminism, men would settle into marriage at an earlier age.

This line here ruined the whole article. Heterosexual women sleep with men so if men don't want women who sleep around, they should zip up.

You should not demand what you cannot give so if you are not sexually pure, you have no right to demand for a partner that is sexually pure.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by ojlifa: 4:10pm On Jul 12, 2017
i think you still do not get it,let me explain to you in economic terms,there is a concept called demand and supply,which means the scarce a commodity the more expensive it goes for.now let us relate it ,the population of women to men are within some 2.5:1 in some countries you even see 4:1.then at the same time men do all the risky jobs,some are reverend fathers and some lost to guyism,means you have a large crowd of women and no man to meet demand.if feminist have deceived other women into believing one man to a woman it mean 1/4 of women would have partners while 3/4 would go without or rather use desperate measures to get somebody else's own which in turn can explain the high divorce rate which is going on.so women would be deceiving themself if they think they hold the power in Negotiation because either ways the men do not loss out simply because they are fewer in numbers ,which makes them a scarce commodity

AZeD1:

This line here ruined the whole article. Heterosexual women sleep with men so if men don't want women who sleep around, they should zip up.

You should not demand what you cannot give so if you are not sexually pure, you have no right to demand for a partner that is sexually pure.

1 Like

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by AZeD1(m): 4:36pm On Jul 12, 2017
ojlifa:
i think you still do not get it,let me explain to you in economic terms,there is a concept called demand and supply,which means the scarce a commodity the more expensive it goes for.now let us relate it ,the population of women to men are within some 2.5:1 in some countries you even see 4:1.then at the same time men do all the risky jobs,some are reverend fathers and some lost to guyism,means you have a large crowd of women and no man to meet demand.if feminist have deceived other women into believing one man to a woman it mean 1/4 of women would have partners while 3/4 would go without or rather use desperate measures to get somebody else's own which in turn can explain the high divorce rate which is going on.so women would be deceiving themself if they think they hold the power in Negotiation because either ways the men do not loss out simply because they are fewer in numbers ,which makes them a scarce commodity

There are actually more men in the world than women, i guess its time to revise your "economic" theory to affect modern realities.

1 Like

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by realpoacher(m): 4:37pm On Jul 12, 2017
ojlifa:

Interesting
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by APCsupporter: 5:26pm On Jul 12, 2017
Good for them
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by ojlifa: 7:34pm On Jul 12, 2017
that isn't true,every record shows it,in the caribbean they are on an average of three to one,in sweden,its three to one,so much so that the government is begging them to just get preganant ,same is spain.so i would advice you take a good look at the data,even in Nigerian it is 2 women to a man,and Africa has one of the highest rate of men in the world

AZeD1:

There are actually more men in the world than women, i guess its time to revise your "economic" theory to affect modern realities.
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by AZeD1(m): 8:49pm On Jul 12, 2017
ojlifa:
that isn't true,every record shows it,in the caribbean they are on an average of three to one,in sweden,its three to one,so much so that the government is begging them to just get preganant ,same is spain.so i would advice you take a good look at the data,even in Nigerian it is 2 women to a man,and Africa has one of the highest rate of men in the world

Google is your friend.

1 Like

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:19pm On Jul 12, 2017
ojlifa:

This is a lie. During the last Nigerian census, it was 105 men for every 100 women and when polygamy comes into play, the number becomes like 105 men for every 40 women. There are way more men than women in the world.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by Fkforyou(m): 9:36pm On Jul 12, 2017
I just tire for this feminism debate on Nairaland... undecided

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by ThinkSmarter: 10:13pm On Jul 12, 2017
AZeD1:

it is a pure lie
The number of women re more than the number of men
Hv u asked urself why upon all the polygamy that hv been practised in most part of the world, yet u hardly hear that any man is unable to find a female partner for marriage.
It z cuz of civilization that brought monogamy that made it more significant nw
It hv been that way for long.
In all species of animals, the female always outnumber the male.
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by Gerrard59(m): 10:43pm On Jul 12, 2017
Interesting...but she supports freezing for educated women in this article:

" Even noted feminist professor Marcia Inhorn wrote an op-ed stating that she wished she had had the chance to freeze her eggs. Inhorn described her personal struggles in balancing her career and family as a thirty-five year old woman. “Those years between age [thirty-five] and [forty] were difficult ones for me. My dual desires to establish myself in my career and to become a mother were literally colliding,” she wrote. Inhorn stated that this dilemma, which she calls the “fertility penalty,” is one that most “highly educated, professional women” know all too well. Instead of lobbying for better support in the workplace to lessen this phenomenon, however, she urges female graduate students to freeze their eggs for use after they are more financially secure, have found a mate, and have achieved tenure." http://harvardlpr.com/wpcontent/uploads/2014/08/HLP207.pdf

Is it not hypocritical?

The real issue seems to be in education levels, as more women climb the career and education ladder (which is a good thing), the higher their standards. However, women do not marry down, they marry up.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/the-breadwinner-husband-still-matters-in-marriage/

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jomf.12372/full

There needs to be a compromise somewhere or men will have to get more educated and earn more to 'meet' these women's standards. But with recent gender quotas everywhere, how can that be possible?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by Pavore9: 10:49pm On Jul 12, 2017
ThinkSmarter:
it is a pure lie
Hv u asked urself why upon all the polygamy that hv been practised in most part of the world, yet u hardly hear that any man is unable to find a female partner for marriage.

Google search "what is the ratio between male and female population in the world"or any other keywords that suits you.

1 Like

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by Gerrard59(m): 10:54pm On Jul 12, 2017
ThinkSmarter:
it is a pure lie

Although, there are more countries that have more women than men, however, there are more men than women on the planet.

The poster you quoted is correct. Men outnumber women globally.

https://qz.com/335183/heres-why-men-on-earth-outnumber-women-by-60-million/

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.TOTL.FE.ZS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by slendxy: 11:17pm On Jul 12, 2017
I just learnt a new thing from this thread, that the population of men are more than women in the world.
One of the greatest problem we have in this part of the world is that we assume a lot of things and defend it with total and unabashed authority as if we researched it.
Thanks to all those who helped in correcting this misconception on this thread.
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by AZeD1(m): 6:04am On Jul 13, 2017
ThinkSmarter:
it is a pure lie
Google is your friend.
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by Danzakidakura(m): 7:12am On Jul 13, 2017
please what is feminism ? I see it as an association or a movement of over feeds women who went around cousin more problems to the less privilege women's too. making them disrespect their spouses and at the end they regret.
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by Gerrard59(m): 9:00am On Jul 13, 2017
Danzakidakura:
please what is feminism ? I see it as an association or a movement of over feeds women who went around cousin more problems to the less privilege women's too. making them disrespect their spouses and at the end they regret.

Nephew nko?

1 Like

Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by Amarabae(f): 9:08am On Jul 13, 2017
Its a sad thing to know that even till now, many still misunderstand what feminism is all about.
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by seguno2: 9:47am On Jul 13, 2017
Gerrard59:
Nephew nko?

grin
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by DaniDani(m): 9:50am On Jul 13, 2017
Feminists and their wahala. I thought that their sex dolls and cucumbers have successfully replaced our roles? The White feminists in their advanced and sophisticated countries are not finding it easy, how much more with our naija feminists wannabes?

Their father can't wait to collect their bride prices and get them off their hook as their responsibilities. Their mama can't wait to attend their omugwo. Their pastors can't wait to collect their rites, but they are here forming feminists. Our naija feminists are on a mission of self destructions. The whites you are emulating aren't finding it easy even in their apex civilization how much more you that is in underdeveloped Africa. influenced by culture and religion. I pity una, ndo nu!
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by OduduwaYoruba: 11:19am On Jul 13, 2017
ojlifa:

You are in order, everything you said was perfectly right,
I think is high time for men to marry more women if they are endowed. Polygamy is partially practice in South West of Nigeria but not to well in South East. South East of Nigeria has the highest female who are unmarried, it is traumatic to exist in life without sexual pleasure or Experience or having someone to call your own.
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by mikolo80: 12:10pm On Jul 13, 2017
AZeD1:

who lose last last. you can demand whatever you want so long as you're willing to pay the price. guys will always get younger girls. nobody will marry an old crone. they should stop giving it away anyhow
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by mikolo80: 12:12pm On Jul 13, 2017
AZeD1:

only in China
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by AZeD1(m): 12:52pm On Jul 13, 2017
mikolo80:
only in China
There are at least 60 countries were there are more men than women.
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by BlowBack: 12:58pm On Jul 13, 2017
And they all end up heading to Nigeria to marry their grandson' mate.

Yahoo yahoo boys Don chop many a feminist hag
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by mikolo80: 1:23pm On Jul 13, 2017
AZeD1:

can I get a link. this is new to me
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by mikolo80: 1:32pm On Jul 13, 2017
AZeD1:

the remaining 90 something countries nko
Re: Feminism Is Leaving A Wake Of Unhappy, Unmarried, And Childless Women In Its Pat by chiozor: 1:53pm On Jul 13, 2017
no single contribution from females in this forum to this thread so far lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Emergency Press Release On The Inciting Song Currently Circulating In The North / Anambra Decides Tomorrow,dont Get Killed!!!!!! / Hilarious Photoshop Of President Muhammadu Buhari With Tribal Mark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.