Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others (22761 Views)

Buhari, Jonathan, Obaseki, Okowa, Dickson, Others Grace Anenih's Funeral Mass / Buhari, Jonathan, Obaseki, Okowa, Dickson, Others Grace Anenih's Funeral Mass In / Jonathan, Dickson Others Seek Implementation Of Restructuring Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by sarrki(m): 6:53pm On Jul 14, 2017
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, Governor of Bayelsa State, Mr. Seriake Dickson and other notable literary icons said on Friday that Nigeria is negotiable.

They all agreed that the country should not break up but could be renegotiated to decentralize power and give states more effective and efficient control of their resources.

In a workshop titled: “A day with the Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka and Ijaw literary icons,” held at the Ijaw National Academy (INA), Kaiama, Kolokuma-Opokuma local government area of Bayelsa State, they affirmed that the people should negotiate many knotty developmental issues bugging down the country.

Dickson, as part of his efforts to challenge and motivate the students of NIA, one of the 15 boarding secondary schools built by his administration, brought Soyinka and other celebrated Ijaw literary giants to speak to the students.

Notable Ijaw icons, who attended the programme, are Prof. John Pepper Clark, 96-year-old Dr. Gabriel Okara, said to be the oldest poet in Africa and a foremost historian, Prof. Ebiegberi Joe Alagoa.

The event, which witnessed performances of poems written by Soyinka, Clark and Okara, was also attended by the Deputy Governor of the state, Rear Admiral John Jonah (retd), Dickson’s wife, Rachel, lawmakers, traditional rulers, cabinet members and celebrated authors, under the auspices of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA).

Responding to questions on agitations in the country, Soyinka, said people are mixing up and confusing the argument, adding that some politicians are sounding hypocritical, dogmatic and dictatorial each time they say Nigerian unity is not negotiable.

He said: “That for me is a falsity. Anything is negotiable. The right of people to determine their future is what is non-negotiable. Most nations came to be through negotiation.

“Sometimes, when people say negotiate, what they really mean is restructure. What the question should be is, should Nigeria break-up? An answer to that is no. But, please don’t tell me that the Nigeria as it stands is non-negotiable.

“For me it is a fallacy. The nation has got to be negotiated. Negotiation includes ensuring that there is no marginalisation. Negotiation has to do with control of resources.

“Negotiation has to do with restructuring the nation in a way in which the components are not feeding an over-bloated centre to the detriment of their own development.

“So, Nigeria is negotiable. But the language we should use is what are you willing to sacrifice, what effort are you willing to make to ensure that Nigeria remains intact? That is a citizen question.”

Also responding to the question, Dickson aligned himself with Soyinka’s submissions and asked his people to feel free without fear of intimidation to interrogate every notion.

He said the Niger Delta region had funded the Nigerian project for over 61 years, insisting that staying together as one Nigeria is desirable.

Dickson said: “I believe that if you ask the question whether Nigeria should continue to exist as a united country, the answer you will get from the majority is yes. I believe that the continuous existence of our nation as an indivisible entity is desirable.

“There is a very strong case to make for that. After all you and I, our people have been funding the Nigerian experiment for the last 61 years. From your backyards, they carve out portions of land and call it in Abuja and Lagos and other capitals of the world, they call it oil blocks.

http://thenationonlineng.net/nigeria-negotiable-say-soyinka-dickson-others/

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by Shelloween(m): 6:54pm On Jul 14, 2017
The gods have spoken

19 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by HungerBAD: 6:54pm On Jul 14, 2017
Wole Soyinka.

I greet you.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by sarrki(m): 6:54pm On Jul 14, 2017
After you have all benefited from the Union ?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by madridguy(m): 6:55pm On Jul 14, 2017
Noted.
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by baralatie(m): 6:57pm On Jul 14, 2017
okay ,Gov seriake wan open school for kaiama that is very good.
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by Blizzy9ja: 8:28pm On Jul 14, 2017
Yes, it is negotiable... We cannot live with maggots and parasites in the same country

Everybody must bring something to the sharing table

93 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by capatainrambo: 8:29pm On Jul 14, 2017
it is o

BTW

who says it is non negotiable
from where do this person or persons draw their authority from?
constitution?

constitution na paper and ink we go tear flush trowey

no time for iRanu

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by Tolexander: 8:30pm On Jul 14, 2017
sarrki:

This one will never stopped dwelling on the negative side of the intelligence number line!

What is the meaning of the nonsense posted now?

116 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by capatainrambo: 8:30pm On Jul 14, 2017
sarrki:

zombie nor go get sense unless you call am zombie
by felA

sarrki do you know the song?

92 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by 20CRATES(m): 8:32pm On Jul 14, 2017
givbitcoin:

Don't mind the animals. Nigeria can never disintegrate and there won't be restructuring either. I don't know why Yoruba people are so vapid despite their so-called education

Yorubas must be so special chai. Must you people blame Yoruba for everything?

Yoruba support Disintegration of Nigeria - Niggerians go talk, Plateau man will say you want to Abandon me to be slaughtered by Hausa-Fulani
Yorubas say Okay then, One Nigeria - Niggerians from another corner will scream about how one region have 57 senators while they have 18
Yoruba say okay, let's try restructuring - Ebonyi & Wawa people go talk say NEVER, we can't go back 2 Eastern region to become Anambra's slaves

What do Nigerians want as a people sef? !

So as you can see, it is the other tribes that are being "Vapid" not the Yorubas.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by fixedhollies(m): 8:32pm On Jul 14, 2017
#fact
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by givbitcoin: 8:32pm On Jul 14, 2017
sarrki:

Don't mind the animals. Nigeria can never disintegrate and there won't be restructuring either. I don't know why Yoruba people are so vapid despite their so-called education
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by OBAGADAFFI: 8:32pm On Jul 14, 2017
Their Eyes are getting clearer everyday grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by Ra88: 8:33pm On Jul 14, 2017
Of course
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by PROUDLYAFONJA1: 8:33pm On Jul 14, 2017
Yes
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by lilprinze: 8:34pm On Jul 14, 2017
every marriage is negotiable

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 14, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by itiswellandwell: 8:35pm On Jul 14, 2017
Hmmmmm
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by hakeem4(m): 8:35pm On Jul 14, 2017
If it wasn't negotiable during the time of Gej

It won't be negotiable during the time of buhari

But if Nigeria disintegrates what will be nairaland's new name ?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by osscarr(m): 8:36pm On Jul 14, 2017
sarrki:

oya you tell us the next way forward for this failed country
are u not tired?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by BlindAngel: 8:36pm On Jul 14, 2017
Lol
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by Flexherbal(m): 8:37pm On Jul 14, 2017
One funny question.

Who get Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by Deedeedee3: 8:37pm On Jul 14, 2017
Baba i luv you with all my heart! you are a good omoluabi, but i do not restructuring though but total disintegration. This is the only solution. We Yorubas are better on our own. We will develop and do better on our own. Dont mind that sick lawyer called osinbajo. He is a huge disappointment to us. This is how osinbajo will be if he eventually becomes president of this useless country.
Once again, Baba you are the best.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 14, 2017
sarrki:

chisos Christ, this guy is a clown, you can never see anything from the bright side

MY GUY YOU ARE A ZOMBIE

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by capatainrambo: 8:37pm On Jul 14, 2017
givbitcoin:

just see this one

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by Eluwilussit(m): 8:37pm On Jul 14, 2017
Tolexander:
This one will never stopped dwelling on the negative side of the intelligence number line!

What is the meaning of the nonsense posted now?

There is no bigger idiot than sarrki. angry

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by centboy123456(m): 8:38pm On Jul 14, 2017
biafra all the way no more one nigeria

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by SplendidE(f): 8:39pm On Jul 14, 2017
undecided
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by Amarabae(f): 8:39pm On Jul 14, 2017
Mama Nkechi abeg watch this my space for me, let me attend to my pot of soup on fire.
Am coming.
Re: Nigeria Is Negotiable, Say Soyinka, Dickson, Others by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:39pm On Jul 14, 2017
sarrki:

Does your quote not strike you as dumb ?

What has Soyinka benefited from Nigeria that Nigeria has not gotten back two-fold ?

If Soyinka has benefited from the union and he still sees a need to restructure then what does that tell you ?
Before you were born and probably when your parents were in diapers, Soyinka was agitating for Nigeria's development. At 83 he still is a voice or reason and progress, ever the progressive.

Say something reasonable or shut it.

19 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Open Grazing: Stop Crying More Than The Bereaved - Falana Tells FG / Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial: Igbo Lawyers Insist He Must Be Brought To Court On Thursday / Nembe Aiteo Oil Spill Continues Two Weeks After It Blew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.