Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,878 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' (76458 Views)

Ghanaian Nurse Helps A Pregnant Woman Give Birth On The Road (Photos) / 44-Year-Old Woman Dies With Her Twins After Refusing To Give Birth Through CS / Possibility Of AA+AS Genotype Parent Give Birth To SS - Exper Opinion Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by seeniorboy(m): 9:37pm On Jul 15, 2017
how do i believe dis
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by zeetyzin(m): 9:37pm On Jul 15, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't understand all this??.

7 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by opedaydydx9(m): 9:37pm On Jul 15, 2017
Wrong thread... I no Sabi wetin dem dey tlk

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 15, 2017
I am AS and I hope the love of my life is AA I only want 1 kid, I don't want a Sickler God abeg give me AA wife

2 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Danelo(m): 9:37pm On Jul 15, 2017
sainty2k3:
YES it is not impossible, couples that are AA/AS can give birth to SS , this is how
1. let me differentiate between haemoglobin genotype and haemoglobin phenotype
To get a particular GENOTYPE you have to do a genetic testing or use two or more of the screening test (the conventional electrophoresis that we do + HPLC or other similar test) to confirm the true genotype while hb PHENOTYPE is the appearance /characteristics of an individual haemoglobin on conventional electrophoresis which we loosely refer to as GENOTYPE
Most times when we call ourselves AA,SS,AS we are actually referring to our Haemoglogin PHENOTYPE and NOT GENOTYPE, as most of us don’t do genetic tests, all we do is haemoglobin electrophoresis
2. lets explain the concept of thalasemic trait. Thalassemias are quantitative defect of haemoglobin which means some one can be AA but the one or both A in this person is is absent otherwise known as thalassemia minor and major respectively. If such person run haemoglobin Electrophoresis( the test that we always loosely regard to as genotype) only A band will be seen and such a person will be regarded as AA. But they are also prone to anaemias and some certain abnormal features in the blood depending on the degree in the reduction in the defective A . such individuals can be Aβ-Thalassaemia(otherwise known as thalassaemic trait) if one of the’ A gene’ is normal, or β-Thalassaemia major if both are affected
3. lets merge the two concepts above and form AND SEE THE DIFFERENT PHENOTYPE THAT EXIST AND THE POSSIBLE CORRESPONDING GENOTYPE
If PHENOTYPE is AA the likely GENOTYPES will be AA , Aβ-Thalassaemia
If PHENOTYPE is SS the likely GENOTYPES will be SS, Sβ-Thalassaemia (MEANING THE OTHER ‘A’ THAT WOULD HAVE MADE THIS AN ‘AS’ IS TOTALLY ABSENT) Others might include SD,SG etc though these are very rare
If PHENOTYPE is AS the likely GENOTYPES will be SA (NOTE – ‘S’ COMES BEFORE ‘A’ BECAUSE THE A IS THALASSAEMIC, THOUGH NOT TOTALLY ABSENT AS THE ONE ABOVE ,IT IS SUSBSTANTIALLY REDUCE), or truely AS
4. Lets assume this our hypothetical couple have Hb eleterophoresis done and was told that the genotype of partner 1 is AA, and that of partner 2 is AS ,but the one that is called AA is actually Aβ-Thalassaemia as ealier mentioned. There possible offspring include
I. AA, If the child inherit the normal A from partner 1 and another normal A from partner 2
II. Aβ-Thalassaemia ,If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from the partner 1 and normal A from partner 2
III. AS,If the child inherit normal A from partner 1 and S from patner 2
IV. Sβ-Thalassaemia If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from partner 1 and S from partner 2
Note that scenario I above will show AA on Hb electrophoresis, scenario ii will show AA on electrophoresis, scenario iii will show AS on electrophoresis and scenario iv will show SS on electrophoresis
I have tried to simplify the medical terms but if you still have a doubt or clarification ask and I will try to shed more light, as much as I can.
OP scientifically it is impossible for AA and AS to produce SS please don't mislead us

4 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Alexas58: 9:37pm On Jul 15, 2017
Please I need your help,please search for this page on Facebook and like it!!...DearMama360
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by wildcatter23(m): 9:38pm On Jul 15, 2017
What's all this?

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by moses93(m): 9:38pm On Jul 15, 2017
I hate to see/hear all these genotype bulls!ts.

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by mikeycharles(m): 9:40pm On Jul 15, 2017
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 15, 2017
fridayabdullahi:
grin noting is impossible!! Situation can change the unchangeable.

Abi o
Nothing is too difficult for the Unchangeable Changer.

Meanwhile, Send SMS at http://angelbulksms.com for fast delivery.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by elantraceey(f): 9:41pm On Jul 15, 2017
So I can just marry AS?
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by oviejnr(m): 9:41pm On Jul 15, 2017
The only reason where AA can marry AS and give birth to SS is when the child doesn't belong to the man. You don't need a DNA to find out, send that hoe outta your house shocked

9 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by avadella(f): 9:42pm On Jul 15, 2017
Ok
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sod09(m): 9:42pm On Jul 15, 2017
dreshemokha:
Op. Genetics and health is not mathematics as you just calculated.
And yes it is totally IMPOSSIBLE, a marriage between AA and AS can NEVER produce SS.
Moreover, there is no relationship in inheritance between sickle cell diseases and thalassemias.

Am a doctor with a health blog. Check my signature and visit my blog for robust health info and publications.
don't mind the op
He's saying total rubbish

6 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by CanadianNurse: 9:43pm On Jul 15, 2017
sainty2k3:
YES it is not impossible, couples that are AA/AS can give birth to SS , this is how
To get a particular GENOTYPE you have to do a genetic testing or use two or more of the screening test (the conventional electrophoresis that we do + HPLC or other similar test) to confirm the true genotype while hb PHENOTYPE is the appearance /characteristics of an individual haemoglobin on conventional electrophoresis which we loosely refer to as GENOTYPE
Most times when we call ourselves AA,SS,AS we are actually referring to our Haemoglogin PHENOTYPE and NOT GENOTYPE, as most of us don’t do genetic tests, all we do is haemoglobin electrophoresis
2. lets explain the concept of thalasemic trait. Thalassemias are quantitative defect of haemoglobin which means some one can be AA but the one or both A in this person is is absent otherwise known as thalassemia minor and major respectively. If such person run haemoglobin Electrophoresis( the test that we always loosely regard to as genotype) only A band will be seen and such a person will be regarded as AA. But they are also prone to anaemias and some certain abnormal features in the blood depending on the degree in the reduction in the defective A . such individuals can be Aβ-Thalassaemia(otherwise known as thalassaemic trait) if one of the’ A gene’ is normal, or β-Thalassaemia major if both are affected
3. lets merge the two concepts above and form AND SEE THE DIFFERENT PHENOTYPE THAT EXIST AND THE POSSIBLE CORRESPONDING GENOTYPE
If PHENOTYPE is SS the likely GENOTYPES will be SS, Sβ-Thalassaemia (MEANING THE OTHER ‘A’ THAT WOULD HAVE MADE THIS AN ‘AS’ IS TOTALLY ABSENT) Others might include SD,SG etc though these are very rare
If PHENOTYPE is AS the likely GENOTYPES will be SA (NOTE – ‘S’ COMES BEFORE ‘A’ BECAUSE THE A IS THALASSAEMIC, THOUGH NOT TOTALLY ABSENT AS THE ONE ABOVE ,IT IS SUSBSTANTIALLY REDUCE), or truely AS
4. Lets assume this our hypothetical couple have Hb eleterophoresis done and was told that the genotype of partner 1 is AA, and that of partner 2 is AS ,but the one that is called AA is actually Aβ-Thalassaemia as ealier mentioned. There possible offspring include
I. AA, If the child inherit the normal A from partner 1 and another normal A from partner 2
II. Aβ-Thalassaemia ,If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from the partner 1 and normal A from partner 2
IV. Sβ-Thalassaemia If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from partner 1 and S from partner 2
Note that scenario I above will show AA on Hb electrophoresis, scenario ii will show AA on electrophoresis, scenario iii will show AS on electrophoresis and scenario iv will show SS on electrophoresis
I have tried to simplify the medical terms but if you still have a doubt or clarification ask and I will try to shed more light, as much as I can.
OP your heading/title is wrong

Genotype AAv can never form SS when combined with AS

TThat people do the mistake of interchanging their phenotype or Genotype doesn't make it possible for AA +As to give sS

If my Genotype is AA I can even marry an SS..with little or no chance of producing SS

4 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by ademasta(m): 9:43pm On Jul 15, 2017
undecided
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by AkupeMBANO(m): 9:45pm On Jul 15, 2017
Bla bla bla sheep have u any wool
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by alizma: 9:45pm On Jul 15, 2017
Make I hear say somebory carry bele in my name come born the pickin with another genotype we no relate to my own then we go do this your calculation, possibly for hospital as for now, this calculation Na LAWMA property.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by hardeycute(m): 9:46pm On Jul 15, 2017
I don't think NL mods make their own research before pushing post to FP.
Later we would have a disclaimer .
One of the reasons I want professionals not old members
Seun don't you pay them ??

3 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Jaiyeola24(m): 9:46pm On Jul 15, 2017
Checking the names of those Olodos that always comment on every topic oya talk make I hear . Because you all went mute now o.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by BBPIA(m): 9:48pm On Jul 15, 2017
sainty2k3:
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 15, 2017
Yeye genetic probability calculations/posibilities....even If all ur village witch get time reason ur matter....AA & AS can't give SS...

It can never happen...make no woman try this yeye with me oooo...me na confirm AA...if I marry any AS babe wey wan come pull this SS stunt genetic calculation use explain herself out of infidelity.....just dey go ur papa house..no need to explain this nonsense genetics to me

4 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by wawappl: 9:49pm On Jul 15, 2017
science is contradictory, life itself is a mystrey. Just live a life of LOVE and honour God

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Welcomme: 9:50pm On Jul 15, 2017
Is it only me that don't understand what the jargons this op wrote? U just wan show urself.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by AmbFitsaint(m): 9:50pm On Jul 15, 2017
sainty2k3:

Na you oo
Even consulatant haemotogist no sabi these stiffs wey u just move

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by darlenese(f): 9:50pm On Jul 15, 2017
nonsense and ingredient.

no AS and AA has ever given birth to an SS. carry your rubbish theory and gerrahere.

mshweeeeeeew.

6 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 15, 2017
You just used mumbo jumbo.... AA & AS have a less than 0.001% possibility of producing SS. That scenario is rare.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Crixina(f): 9:54pm On Jul 15, 2017
Dear Op, as much as you are trying to be educative...you lost most of us...A post like this should be brought to a layman's understand, the use of some terms there are rather too vague most people's comprehension.

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Phi001(m): 9:56pm On Jul 15, 2017
All that medical jargon up there is unnecessary...

I'm a simple man. If my wife gives birth to an SS child, I send her to her parents.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by kikake: 9:57pm On Jul 15, 2017
Meanwhile, some naturally born yand bred parasites are threating war over uil which comes from Dokubor Asari's back yard. Parasites froim near Dahomey and 9iger Republic.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by fkj950ax(m): 10:01pm On Jul 15, 2017
The Op and the Mod that brought this to FP are both enemies of humanity.

This is witchcraft. Its designed to create uninformed choices in people's life.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 10:01pm On Jul 15, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

Mumbo jumbo, Mendelian inheritance doesn't support AA and AS having SS, no explanation can justify it.
That is if the AA is actually AA genotype and not A beta thalassemia , note that from the explanation above On HB electrophoresis, whicjbwe all loosely refer tonas genotype all of them will appear as AA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Proper Way To Use Face-Shield & Face-Mask - Federal Ministry Of Health / Lockdown: Ogun Conducts Online Poll On Whether Lockdown Should Continue / Pictures Of Aba After Lockdown Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.