Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) (66765 Views)

World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica / The Sinking Of The Titanic- They Lied, It Wasn't The Iceberg / The Big Size Of An Undergraduate's Project Hardcopy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Explorers(m): 5:18am On Jul 15, 2017
Despite a recent trend of disbelief toward global warming, Mother Nature has just made herself clear.

A giant, trillion-tonne iceberg hasjust broken away from Antarctic ice shelf, and it’s an alarm we should all be heeding.

The iceberg, which has an area of roughly 4 times the size of London at 5800 km2, was part of an ice sheet known as Larsen C.

Researchers at Swansea University had been watching the glacial divide for months, and using satellite imaging, they were able to determine that the iceberg ‘calved’ (broke away) from Antarctica sometime between July 10th and 12th.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/12/world/larsen-c-antarctica/index.html

http://www.boredpanda.com/trillion-ton-iceberg-broke-off-antarctica/

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by DAramis: 5:22am On Jul 15, 2017
Flooding loading

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Explorers(m): 5:23am On Jul 15, 2017
Due to the rapid rising of temperatures in West Antarctica, ice shelves are becoming more fragile than ever.

Not only does this massive iceberg pose a security risk to maritime traffic, its separation could cause glaciers stabilized by Larsen C to drift into the Atlantic Ocean and melt, which could raise the global water mark by 10 centimeters.

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Explorers(m): 5:27am On Jul 15, 2017
That rogue ice disrupts maritime safety, then melts, causing water levels all around the world to rise.

Polar animal species like emperor penguins, are also threatened by the slow decimation of their habitats.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Ajewealth123(m): 5:39am On Jul 15, 2017
O ga o.
What harm does this pose?

Modified, thanks for all that contributed.
So una mean say places like lekki,banana island,vi,ikoyi,elegushi water go just throway all of them?

108 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Atlantia(f): 5:54am On Jul 15, 2017
shocked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Paulpaulpaul(m): 6:02am On Jul 15, 2017
So, global warming aint a fluke afterall

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ednut1(m): 6:06am On Jul 15, 2017
There has been different climate changes eg ice age without human emissions. I am with Trump on this global warming thing, would stopping emmisions turn the tide of the so called global warming. Nothing bt propaganda abeg

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by remi1444: 6:10am On Jul 15, 2017
nawa ooo....global warming ringing.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by tolugar: 6:11am On Jul 15, 2017
More things that ll lead to extinction of man

But

We ll always find a way to survive

7 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Luciferdevil(m): 6:21am On Jul 15, 2017
And I was thinking of travelling to Europe with my private jet tomorrow or next chaiii.

10 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ILoveChess: 6:25am On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:
Despite a recent trend of disbelief toward global warming, Mother Nature has just made herself clear.

A giant, trillion-tonne iceberg hasjust broken away from Antarctic ice shelf, and it’s an alarm we should all be heeding.

The iceberg, which has an area of roughly 4 times the size of London at 5800 km2, was part of an ice sheet known as Larsen C.

Researchers at Swansea University had been watching the glacial divide for months, and using satellite imaging, they were able to determine that the iceberg ‘calved’ (broke away) from Antarctica sometime between July 10th and 12th.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/12/world/larsen-c-antarctica/index.html

http://www.boredpanda.com/trillion-ton-iceberg-broke-off-antarctica/
God is great

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Krystalzkris(f): 6:29am On Jul 15, 2017
norm of the North.... sad thing is the is no way to save the situation

6 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by rottennaija(m): 6:32am On Jul 15, 2017
Ajewealth123:
O ga o.

Serious one ooo

2 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Explorers(m): 6:32am On Jul 15, 2017
Ajewealth123:
O ga o.

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Just like filling a bucket with water, then drop 5kg of ice into it.

Its going to spill now abi

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

Now imagine something that's over over a trillion-tonne, 5800km2

146 Likes 12 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Pilate2016(m): 6:34am On Jul 15, 2017
Coastal regions all over the world should be at alert. Oh Lekki! Ordinary rainfall and you were flooded. I pray your residents get sense and emulate Noah.

176 Likes 11 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 6:45am On Jul 15, 2017
Wow. That's terrible
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Aremu01(m): 6:45am On Jul 15, 2017
Africa is blessed

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by sirfee(m): 6:46am On Jul 15, 2017
The global warming thingy is real,I dont really know why Trump is against it.

8 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Pilate2016(m): 6:50am On Jul 15, 2017
Aremu01:
Africa is blessed
Oga all men are involved oo. Just be at alert if you're living at the coastal region.

31 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by tk4rd: 7:01am On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Just like filling a bucket with water, then drop 5kg of ice into it.

Its going to spill now abi

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

Now imagine something that's over over a trillion-tonne, 5800km2
Will it be that badly felt globally.??
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by oldfoolnigger(m): 7:02am On Jul 15, 2017
while scientists from other part of the world are busy carrying out research and monitoring what's happening in the world, our own dear scientists are busy carrying about long long files roaming our street looking for white collar jobs..

modified:

cha!
see how they are attacking me oo.
sorry if my comment hits u really bad.

77 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by oldfoolnigger(m): 7:03am On Jul 15, 2017
Luciferdevil:
And I was thinking of travelling to Europe with my private jet tomorrow or next chaiii.
oga ooo.

There is God ooo

2 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by oldfoolnigger(m): 7:04am On Jul 15, 2017
Krystalzkris:
norm of the North.... sad thing is the is no way to save the situation
which kind talk be this again?

there must be a way biko

3 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Explorers(m): 7:06am On Jul 15, 2017
tk4rd:
Will it be that badly felt globally.??

Definitely bro, if it keeps breaking and melting.

2 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by oldfoolnigger(m): 7:06am On Jul 15, 2017
Pilate2016:
Coastal regions all over the world should be at alert. Oh Lekki! Ordinary rainfall and you were flooded. I pray your residents get sense and emulate Noah.
chai.
Noah,?
u are wicked oo

4 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Jude76(m): 7:08am On Jul 15, 2017
Convert ur iTunes gift card to instance cash

Dominations of 10 to 100$ of any amount

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ExAngel007(f): 7:08am On Jul 15, 2017
this really really bad

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 15, 2017
wow

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Efewestern: 7:28am On Jul 15, 2017
Ajewealth123:
O ga o.
flooding.

that's about a trillions of trillions litre of water, it will increase the world water level, thereby causing flood in most Part of the world.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 15, 2017
LOl... I find it amazing some of you still believe this global warming crap.

3 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nbote(m): 7:35am On Jul 15, 2017
careytommy7:
LOl... I find it amazing some of you still believe this global warming crap.

I find it embarrassing U still hold such crappy reasoning..

95 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pictures From University Of Nigeria, Nsukka / The Library Emeka Offor Is Building In Daura Is 98% Completed (Photos) / Chochmah International School's Teachers' Quaters, Owned By Salvation Ministry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.