Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi (971 Views)

Buhari, Not Jonathan To Be Blamed For $9bn Judgement Debt, Says P&ID / June 12: How Jonathan Reduced MKO Abiola To Local Champion – Tony Momoh / How Jonathan Reduced Electrify Tariff To Get Votes In 2015 – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by Jombojombo(m): 11:17am On Jul 15, 2017
By Chineme Okafor in Abuja

The immediate past chairman of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Dr. Sam Amadi, last night said that the Minister of Power, Works, and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, was economical with the truth when he claimed that former president Goodluck Jonathan, forced the regulatory agency to shelve an increment in electricity tariff so he could make political gains from it in the 2015 presidential election.

Amadi, who ran the wih with six other commissioners for five years, starting from 2010 to 2015, explained that there was never a time Jonathan or any of the power ministers under him attempted to influence the decision of the commission under their charge.
He said in a statement to THISDAY in Abuja, that all the decisions of the regulator were taken by its commissioners on a democratic basis.

Fashola, had while delivering a lecture on Thursday in Lagos, claimed that the former president forced NERC to shelve a planned tariff increment to give him some advantage in the election. He also alleged that the decision resulted in huge revenue shortfalls in the sector, a development he said had become a huge problem for the government of President Muhammadu Buhari.

Faulting Fashola’s claims, Amadi said: “I have read some piece of news suggesting that President Jonathan ordered the reversal of electricity tariff during his tenure as President.
“Since I have left office I have avoided issues about electricity regulation in Nigeria to give our successors the best opportunity to do better than we did. My understanding of public office that the best a former public officer should do is to truly step aside and be willing to provide advice if and when it is needed. In the best tradition of public service you don’t obstruct the new administration.
“But I am constrained to restate the truth of what happened for the purpose of ensuring proper information to enable the present administration do their best to fix the electricity crisis.”

He added that: “Throughout our five years as Commissioners of NERC there was no single day that President Jonathan ever dictated or instructed policy to the commission concerning any issue on electricity regulation.
“I am bold to state that President Jonathan was a great president to the electricity sector for fully supporting the independence of the regulator. My colleagues and I were determined to maintain the independence of the regulator and we found a very understanding President in President Goodluck Jonathan.”
Amadi further explained: “On the matter of the tariff, the facts are straightforward and borne out by records. NERC as a regulator has comprehensive methodology and business rules for regulating tariff. The Act, methodology and business rules put the responsibility on NERC commissioners who vote democratically for every such decisions, just like the Board of Governors of the CBN does for monetary policies. Every tariff we have issued from 2010 to 2015 did not receive or require the approval of the President. Only NERC Commissioners approved them.”

He provided detail of how the 2015 electricity tariff was calculated, adding that the processes were controversial and involved all stakeholders in the electricity value chain including consumer groups, but without any intrusion from the government.
According to Amadi: “Before we issued MYTO 2.0 we debated on what to do with collection losses that discos collect from consumers. Two schools of thought emerged amongst the commissioners. One school, supported by most commissioners, wanted the collection losses to be reduced to zero or to the low level of pre-privatisation Discos.

“The other school wanted us to keep it as contracted by Discos and BPE even as it skyrockets the tariffs. After much debate the overwhelming position was to reduce the collection losses. When the draft of the tariff was issued, the discos protested and the commissioners had a rethink, revised the model and issued MYTO 2.0 that saw more than 180 per cent increase in some Discos for some customers.
“The manufacturers and other customer groups protested this astronomical hike in tariff and sent formal petition. NERC business rules require NERC to reconsider the tariff at the petition of an aggrieved customer who petitions within 60 days of issuance of tariff order. Based on the petition, NERC held a public hearing at Sheraton with all Disco heads and some consumers groups where the details of the tariff were presented and criticised. After the public hearing NERC set up a technical committee to review the allegations and conduct jurisdictional research on how other electricity markets treat collection losses.”

Continuing, he stated: “The NERC technical team recommended that the collection losses should be set at zero and any Disco that wants to have collection losses above zero should apply with evidence of its diligent effort to control losses. This recommendation was presented to the industry meeting where the Discos expectedly totally rejected it. The NERC Commissioners nevertheless approved it through the usual process of decision-making and consequently reduced the revenue requirement of the Discos, which then resulted in lower tariff for most customers.

“This was a controversial but principled decision based on contestable evidence and value-based analysis. I am prepared to take slacks for any intended or unintended consequences of that decision as the Chairman and Chief Executive of NERC. I still strongly believe that my reading of effective regulation confirms that it was a good decision to internalise efficiency in the distribution segment of the electricity industry.”

“But President Jonathan played no role at all in that decision. His ministers did not play any role. It was a bona fide regulatory decision that may be termed wise or unwise, after the facts. But should not be used to denigrate President Jonathan or the ministers of power.
“Take it from the horse’s mouth: Jonathan did not reverse any tariff. Sam Amadi and his colleagues changed the tariff through the normal due process and as part of effective regulation of the sector,” he added.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/07/15/jonathan-didnt-order-electricity-tariff-reversal-ex-nerc-chair-replies-fashola/

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by Jombojombo(m): 11:20am On Jul 15, 2017
I can't believe that the APC's lying disease has infected Fashola

I spit on all APC families worldwide

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by Firefire(m): 11:20am On Jul 15, 2017
Fashola is a bloody and pathological liar.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by Firefire(m): 11:22am On Jul 15, 2017
Jombojombo:

Babatunde FashOla is a known liar who strives in media propaganda and falsification since his days as governor.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by dlondonbadboy: 11:23am On Jul 15, 2017
Liars are children of the devil...because the devil lieth from the beginning..

Fashola is a child of the devil..

1 Like

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by aolawale025: 11:24am On Jul 15, 2017
Truth always triumphs. GEJ took a good stance of silence in this season of lies

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by Oluwabusobomi(f): 11:24am On Jul 15, 2017
APC is the most useless party I have ever seen in the whole universe.

Thank God the PDP is back and stronger... Can't wait to do justice to this error by 2019.

RIP to APC... Gone so soon!

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by Kondomatic(m): 11:26am On Jul 15, 2017
Jombojombo:

He has always been a liar.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by chiboyo(m): 11:27am On Jul 15, 2017
Instead of the minister of darkness to concentrate on delivering the dividends of his mandate, he is busy spewing lies and shifting blame..

Bunch of clueless morons!!!

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by allstarcomic(m): 11:34am On Jul 15, 2017
hey guys watch my new comedy video here on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke-h6VyiiQA
Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by Jombojombo(m): 11:35am On Jul 15, 2017
Firefire:

Babatunde FashOla is a known liar who strives in media propaganda and falsification since his days as governor.

So pathetic of him

Mr 24 hours power supply is not a rocket science

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by Beress(m): 11:38am On Jul 15, 2017
APC don't know that the more they mention GEJ the more popular he becomes and the more unpopular they become

Bunch of incompetent fools

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by papaejima1: 11:41am On Jul 15, 2017
Lawd
What this means is that Fashols has no grasp of the decision making process and the dynamics of running the power sector.

Who put this kain man there biko?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by Oluwabusobomi(f): 11:50am On Jul 15, 2017
Lalasticlala where are you

To every action there must be a reaction, please let's balance the equation.

To kill APC permanently is a task for all of us grin

1 Like

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by mars123(m): 12:27pm On Jul 15, 2017
Giving the power, works and housing ministry to Fashola has proven to be like inserting a gigantic penis in a first timer's vagina. It can't fit!!!
Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by DLuciano: 1:03pm On Jul 15, 2017
Fashiola and all other members in the spirit of APC motto: lies. LAI Mohammed " Buhari never promised 5000 naira to indigent Nigerians. Buhar has delivered on his electoral promise". AMAECH: "I have never taken bribe in my life, I don't like money" Buratai' "We have chased out boko haram from Sabisa forest" and many other lies... you can remind us
Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by SalamRushdie: 1:04pm On Jul 15, 2017
Fashola keeps digging himself deeper into trench of gross incompetence, this is a man who couldn't complete a mere 35kms of LEKKI EPE Express road for 8 years even though he had a budget and was heavily tolling the road when only 5 percent of the work had been done...Make no mistake Fashola is a masses hater whose Forte is arranging and legalising organised crime using that authority of govt office , Fashola keeps setting up white elephant Ponzi projects and policies whose aim is to rip off the masses without giving them any thing in return , from Lekki EPE road to the Lagos Island PPI to the Illubirin housing project to the Ikoyi link bridge and now his newest hiest which is selling exorbitant darkness to Nigerians in cahoots with his cronies at helms of the criminal DISCOS . Please someone help me ask Fashola what is a KW of darkness , what is the purpose of selling darkness to us, how do we harness the darkness his cronies are selling and how did they arrive at the price of over 30 naira for a kilowatt of darkness, WTF is even a Kilowatt of darkness sef..Fashola please resign
Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by deomelo: 1:15pm On Jul 15, 2017
Look at this ignorant ode. What's the difference between you and the useless incompetent otuoke clown?

Did you not function under Jonathan or was jona not your boss and ultimately responsible for all governmental actions in his administration?

These dumb Igbos really can be stupid and unintelligent Sha.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by deomelo: 1:19pm On Jul 15, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Fashola keeps digging himself deeper into trench of gross incompetence, this is a man who couldn't complete a mere 35kms of LEKKI EPE Express road for 8 years even though he had a budget and was heavily tolling the road when only 5 percent of the work had been done...Make no mistake Fashola is a masses hater whose Forte is arranging and legalising organised crime using that authority of govt office , Fashola keeps setting up white elephant Ponzi projects and policies whose aim is to rip off the masses without giving them any thing in return , from Lekki EPE road to the Lagos Island PPI to the Illubirin housing project to the Ikoyi link bridge and now his newest hiest which is selling exorbitant darkness to Nigerians in cahoots with his cronies at helms of the criminal DISCOS . Please someone help me ask Fashola what is a KW of darkness , what is the purpose of selling darkness to us, how do we harness the darkness his cronies are selling darkness and how did they arrive at the price of over 30 naira for a kilowatt of darkness, WTF is even a Kilowatt of darkness sef..Fashola please resign

Ipobitchies and their ignorant and rubbish tales by the moonlight.. grin

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by Pappyshoes(m): 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2017
GEJ is responsible for all positives and negatives achieved by his apointees, so, it's still GEJ.
Re: Fashola Lied; I Not Jonathan, Reduced Electricity Tariff - Sam Amadi by obailala(m): 4:23pm On Jul 15, 2017
The mumuness of some of these jonathanians and pdp loving losers couldn't get more pathetic...

Buhari's appointees do something, they blame and insult Buhari. Now Jonathan's appointee did something, but they dont think it has anything to do with Jonathan; rather they curse out Fashola for daring to mention the name of the man's boss (GEJ) in the matter. #Iberiberism

(1) (Reply)

Which State In Nigeria Do You Think This Man Is Heading To? / I Sense A Revolution Comming In This Country / Citizens Mobilise To Protest Against Udom’s Proposed N9 Billion Governor’s Lodge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.