Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child (1901 Views)

Can AA And SC Marry? / Is It Possible For The Vagina Not To Have Any Odour? / Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:14am On Jul 16, 2017
Lagusta:

Someone that doesn't know that thalassemia is a form of hemoglobinopathy does not deserve the medical degree abeg.....

My guy don't say that. U should go to his school and contend his degree, we can't know it all. Among the top 3 causes of death in a research done at John-Hopkins last year was found to be doctors errors, those doctors also don't deserve medical degrees?

Meanwhile, A lady who has 2 previous children and is rhesus negative gave birth recently, a direct coombs test and blood group was done for the new baby and the child was rhesus negative, I was happy for the child, question is would the woman need rhogam?, bearing the fact that the blood group of the other children are not known?, and they are not present to take their blood group.

Lastly hemoglobinopathies and thalassemias are actually different. and are on different topic. Not all thalasemias are hemoglobinopathies. Do ur research.
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by escodotman: 9:15am On Jul 16, 2017
Lagusta:
The hemoglobinopathies encompass all genetic diseases of hemoglobin. They fall into two main groups: thalassemia syndromes and structural hemoglobin variants (abnormal hemoglobins). α- and β-thalassemia are the main types of thalassemia; the main structural hemoglobin variants are HbS, HbE and HbC. There are many subtypes and combined types in each group. The highly variable clinical manifestations of the hemoglobinopathies range from mild hypochromic anemia to moderate hematological disease to severe, lifelong, transfusion-dependent anemia with multiorgan involvement. Stem-cell transplantation is the preferred treatment for the severe forms of thalassemia. Supportive, rather than curative, treatment consists of periodic blood transfusions for life, combined with iron chelation. Drugs to treat the symptoms of sickle-cell disease include analgesics, antibiotics, ACE inhibitors and hydroxyurea. Blood transfusions should be given only when strictly indicated. More than 90% of patients currently survive into adulthood. Optimally treated patients have a projected life span of 50 to 60 years.

Source:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3163784/

The guy read wikipedia, when he knows wikipedia is the worst reference any doctor would go to.....

Nigerian doctors..... Na wa ooo
Hehehe is that what you were taught in school? Is that all you could give? Wikipedia?...i thought you would give us stuff from Google scholar! Nice try
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by escodotman: 9:18am On Jul 16, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

My guy don't say that. U should go to his school and contend his degree, we can't know it all. Among the top 3 causes of death in a research done at John-Hopkins last year was found to be doctors errors, those doctors also don't deserve medical degrees?

Meanwhile, A lady who has 2 previous children and is rhesus negative gave birth recently, a direct coombs test and blood group was done for the new baby and the child was rhesus negative, I was happy for the child, question is would the woman need rhogam?, bearing the fact that the blood group of the other children are not known?, and they are not present to take their blood group.
Hope the guy will understand this level you've brought him to... Lol. Moreover, no patient has ever lost his/her life under my care and I pray non will. Its God

1 Like

Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by Lagusta(m): 9:19am On Jul 16, 2017
escodotman:
Hehehe is that what you were taught in school? Is that all you could give? Wikipedia?...i thought you would give us stuff from Google scholar! Nice try

You are very stupid!!!

Is this a wikipedia source??

Did u even read my post!!!

Oh God how did I end up with this dimwit!!!!
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:21am On Jul 16, 2017
escodotman:
Hope the guy will understand this level you've brought him to... Lol

I hope so too. Thalasemias, strictly speaking are not hemoglobinopathies, though some thalassemias can be, since hemoglobinopathies is really alteration in structure, while the other deal with production. There however is no need to query anyone's qualification, if u feel u know better simply explain professionally.

1 Like

Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by escodotman: 9:21am On Jul 16, 2017
Lagusta:

You are very stupid!!!

Is this a wikipedia source??

Did u even read my post!!!

Oh God how did I end up with this dimwit!!!!
Hahahahaha e don pain am. He has resorted to abuse. And you call yourself a doctor?? Have you ever managed a psychiatric patient? If so, you must be beating a hell outta them with your temper!!! Hiann!!!
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by Lagusta(m): 9:22am On Jul 16, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

Lastly hemoglobinopathies and thalassemias are actually different. and are on different topic. Not all thalasemias are hemoglobinopathies. Do ur research.

No one is saying they are the same, what I am saying (and pointing out clearly) is that some thalassemias are a type of hemoglobinopathy, simple....

I have given you all sources and references... And please not from wikipedia.... Read up and let's move on abeg.....
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by escodotman: 9:23am On Jul 16, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

I hope so too. Thalasemias, strictly speaking are not hemoglobinopathies, though some thalassemias can be, since hemoglobinopathies is really alteration in structure, while the other deal with production. There however is no need to query anyone's qualification, if u feel u know better simply explain professionally.
Bros my hats off to you. Thumbs up too. But brb, I gotta bath now.
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by Lagusta(m): 9:24am On Jul 16, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

At least you speak more professionally jare.....

I believe we are saying the same thing, truly not all thalassemias are hemoglobinopathies but those types are very rare and incompatible with life..... We all know that....

Let's talk about common stuff...

Once again, thanks for your mature approach
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by Lagusta(m): 9:26am On Jul 16, 2017
escodotman:
Hahahahaha e don pain am. He has resorted to abuse. And you call yourself a doctor?? Have you ever managed a psychiatric patient? If so, you must be beating a hell outta them with your temper!!! Hiann!!!

I'm sorry for the outburst.....

Next time read my post before concluding....

Thanks
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by escodotman: 9:28am On Jul 16, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

To give my contribution on this question, I think the woman should be given rhogam if the the father of the newborn baby is Rhesus positive. This will protect the susbsquent pregnancies from the HDNB. (haemolytic disease of the new born). Off the bathroom
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by escodotman: 9:30am On Jul 16, 2017
Lagusta:

I'm sorry for the outburst.....
Next time read my post before concluding....
Thanks
No probs bro. One love
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:34am On Jul 16, 2017
escodotman:
To give my contribution on this question, I think the woman should be given rhogam if the the father of the newborn baby is Rhesus positive. This will protect the susbsquent pregnancies from the HDNB. (haemolytic disease of the new born). Off the bathroom

I need some other contributions on this, this lady have had 2 previous babies for 2 previous men, rhesus negative, but doesn't know the blood group of the other men or the other babies, she gave birth recently, it was actually a twin pregnancy, while the leading twin survived, the second twin couldn't make it due to a difficult labour. I advised them for rhogam, since here previous babies might have been rhesus positive, the MO and matron however said they have been in practice over 20 years and the woman doesn't need it.
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by escodotman: 10:12am On Jul 16, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

I need some other contributions on this, this lady have had 2 previous babies for 2 previous men, rhesus negative, but doesn't know the blood group of the other men or the other babies, she gave birth recently, it was actually a twin pregnancy, while the leading twin survived, the second twin couldn't make it due to a difficult labour. I advised them for rhogam, since here previous babies might have been rhesus positive, the MO and matron however said they have been in practice over 20 years and the woman doesn't need it.
I get your question clearly now. The previous 2 babies' blood groups weren't known, neither were the blood group of their fathers. So the woman has another baby now who is Rhesus neg with the mother.

Now, I also agree with them that the woman doesnt need Rhogam. The baby she just had is rhesus neg and defintely it means the father is also rhesus neg, so there's no need for Rhogam because subsequent pregancies (through the current husband) are not in danger of maternal-fetal red blood cell incompatibilty since both father and mother belong to thesame Rhesus blood group. About the previous 2 babies, the most likely scenerio is that both babies and their fathers are also Rhesus negative, like the mother and thats why the twin didnt suffer any intra-uterine haemolysis and its complications. You know the essence of the Rheso-gamma immunoglobulin is to ''mop'' up antibodies produced due to maternal-fetal red cells incompatibilty and protecting subsquent pregancies. I can assure you that the present husband is also Rhesus neg. Again, there's no way the previous babies were Rhesus positive.
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by peacettw: 10:17am On Jul 16, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

Where exactly are u driving at, asking a medical professional all these questions, like u are his lecturer. If a medical professional doesn't know the difference between disease (SC, SThal etc), and Anaemia( ,SS), then medicine in Nigeria is bleak. I follow Nigerian doctors and it's time for a change. Medical jousting, slandering, and name calling is at its best in Nigeria. These have to stop.

On the contrary, I have no interest in slandering anyone and you are wrong to assume that all doctors know this.
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by escodotman: 10:33am On Jul 16, 2017
peacettw:

On the contrary, I have no interest in slandering anyone and you are wrong to assume that all doctors know this.
My dear I can assure you that ALL Doctors know this. Peace
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by sisisioge: 1:12pm On Jul 16, 2017
Thanks OP...you have just cleared my confusion. That first thread messed my mind up I swearit grin.
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by ryom(m): 4:08pm On Jul 16, 2017
Just to add to this as it is a very important topic. While there are other haemoglobinopathies (abnormal haemoglobins) apart from the well known and most common sickle haemoglobinopathies, these other types are not common among black Africans. Haemoglobin S and C are the types commonly found among black Africans. So it will still be VERY unusual for a purely Nigerian couple AA + AS to have an 'SS' child and should be investigated further if it happens.
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by escodotman: 4:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
ryom:
Just to add to this as it is a very important topic. While there are other haemoglobinopathies (abnormal haemoglobins) apart from the well known and most common sickle haemoglobinopathies, these other types are not common among black Africans. Haemoglobin S and C are the types commonly found among black Africans. So it will still be VERY unusual for a purely Nigerian couple AA + AS to have an 'SS' child and should be investigated further if it happens.
God bless you bro. You garrit. Social media will mislead a lot of innocent Nigerians. I was taught in medical school not to completely trust every article I see on the internet cos any quack could open Google and upload incorrect assertions. I was taught to even double-check or tripple check even the so-called medical journals!
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by corisande: 6:46pm On Jul 16, 2017
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by escodotman: 9:12pm On Jul 16, 2017
corisande:

I am AC. Growing up i always knew my genotype to be AA. I did about 3 genotype testing in 3 different labs and it came back as AC.
So how did you assume your genotype was AA while growing up?
Re: A Reply To The Topic: It Is Possible For AA And AS Couple To Have An SS Child by sainty2k3(m): 6:46pm On Nov 25, 2017
peacettw:
An op in an earlier thread tried his best to pass across an important message which was misconstrued.
https://www.nairaland.com/3922963/yes-it-not-impossible-aa

I understood his line of thought and tried replying to some who didn't understand him but along the line thought it better to create a new thread.

Below is what the op was trying to explain in layman's terms.

Our people wrongly believe that the only Sickle cell disease out there is SS. In truth, there are many 'combinations' like SC, SB-thal, SD punjab etc. (notice they all have one thing in common, at least one S in the combination)

Now let's put our heads together, how do you think people get these other types? ....
Ans: exactly the same way you get the SS.

So, if you are AS and get married to AC, AB-thal, or Ad punjab, u stand a risk of getting a child with Sickle cell disease. It's that simple.

Another question... How many of our labs here in Nigeria do you think can correctly detect AC, AB-thal, or Ad punjab?
Ans: Basically a few. I saw my first SC in a px 2 years ago in a 17 year old who was told her whole life that she was AS.
Most labs can't pick up the C, b thal or d punjab, once they see an A with no S, they automatically assume it to be AA but in truth might actually be AC, AB-thal, or Ad punjab.

In essence, it is possible for 'AA' (wc we know now might actually be AC, AB-thal, or Ad punjab) to get married to AS and give birth to SC, SB-thal, SD punjab.. (wc again our labs will incorrectly call SS since they lack the proper equip to detect the C, b thal or d punjab and seeing one S and no A will call automatically it SS).

If you are in doubt, then recheck your genotypes in a center with the right equipments.

I hope I have sufficiently cleared the air. Now, please go and spread the word and stop castigating that poor innocent woman.

Cc: seun, mynd44, lalasticlala
I didnt know this thread happened. Great job op. And i agree u did a better job at breaking it down, sadly some will still not be open enough to accept the information. Welldone ma

(1) (2) (Reply)

65-year-old Woman Shows Off Her Shockingly Amazing Beach Body / Natural Drinks For Couple That Improve Stamina In Bed / Photos: Man Electrocuted In Surulere After Urinating On A Naked Transformer Cabl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.