Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin (41454 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos / 10 Astonishing Facts You Never Knew About The Great Wall Of China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Jaqenhghar: 11:09pm On Jul 16, 2017
Dsov2016:

Thunder fire u. Benin was an empire with the capital being the current benin city. It had controlled vast stretches of land up to benin republic and up to cameroon . in the 15th century, it fought to protect its northern borders against the fulanis (bringing this up so u can determine how far into the north its borders were) . around the 12th to 15th century the benin people moved its capital to its fortress city(benin). Unlike the other kings who bear oba, the benin had a system similar to the imperial roman empire with its system of several city states who pay allegiance and loyalty to one king the oba. If not for the useless British colonist, u would have known that during the mid 19th century to the of the punitive expedition the oba had sent his powerful warlords to ekiti to put down insurrection against the benin empire by (ogedengbe of illesha)people of ekiti extraction. It was these warlords Omumu who sacked Efon alaye and married the daughter to his son balogun asa(bor) . it was them who founded ado ekiti,igbara one,ilara,ogburugbura e.t.c . I know this because my great grandfather was the captain of the army and later became the main warlord. Pls stop saying nonsense u do not know before ur utterances awaken what u do not want.
Have u ever being to benin, then u will know how large the walls we're. The signs of how big the Walls were can be seen from the moat which was excavated to build it. He Benin's fought but it was a short battle because of how surprising the attack came. Even with the surprise ask any body vast in history about asoro and they will tell u that though he fell, how many British soldiers he took with him with just bow and arrow and how it made people name a hill after him. Most of the benin u see today is modern construction because a cannon was fired into benin and benin of then was razed down by fire. O HOW I WOSH HISTORY WAS BEING TAUGHT SO OUR PEOPLE WILL NOT WALLOW IN THIS STUPID IGNORANCE. It is on record that the benin most and some existing fragments of the wall is a UNESCO heritage site
Rossiki ! Is that you?
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 16, 2017
At its maximum extent, the empire extended from the western Ibo tribes on the shores of the Niger river, through parts of the southwestern region of Nigeria (much of present-day Ondo State, and the isolated islands (current Lagos Island and Obalende) in the coastal region of present-day Lagos State). The Oyo Kingdom, which extended through most of south-western Nigeria to parts of present-day Republic of Benin was to the West.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire

1. At its maximum extent means Bini empire kingdom was at its peak militarily. It was at this point Bini army was very powerful & it was during this period it conquered/reached the areas below:

2. Ibos on the shores refers - Delta/Onitsha environs.

3. Just a minor part of Ondo - Owo which they never conquered and Akoko areas which they struggled to raid.

4. Current Lagos island is Idumota in specific terms.

Look at what these people call an empire cheesy. Only areas of moder day Delta state, Onitsha area, Akoko area & Idumota is what these deluded people refer to as an empire?

This people make empire as a noun look bad.

These folks have been struggling to equate themsslves with the Yoruba since mid-western region days. Notice in the quoted text above how they refer to Bini kingdom with patches of lands as an empire but referred to Oyo that spread as far as modern day Ghana/Togo as a 'kingdom'.

4 Likes

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by macof(m): 11:11pm On Jul 16, 2017
fatiaforreal:

That is the satellite picture of the wall, and the location is very obvious, very far from Benin. It's in Ijebuland, SW Nigeria.
Benin was a great empire, but this post is just one of the many lies from our Bini brother.
A great kingdom, yes.
but in the league of empires, Bini is nothing of glory.

An empire that could not spread its ethnic identity, its language, its culture? its land? oh please. Don't insult true empires

2 Likes

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by frankia(m): 11:12pm On Jul 16, 2017
Look at them. Eko in Lagos is a bini terms if u must know. It means "resting camp" for d worriors dt faught nd conquered. Courtesy Oba Eware de great I.the Bini Kingdom conquered alot of cities even akure. Benin nd British kingdom are de only popularly known kingdom.
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jul 16, 2017
frankia:
Look at them. Eko in Lagos is a bini terms if u must know. It means "resting camp" for d worriors dt faught nd conquered. Courtesy Oba Eware de great I.the Bini Kingdom conquered alot of cities even akure. Benin nd British kingdom are de only popularly known kingdom.

Your Bini never conquered Akure, stop lying! The same Bini that couldn't conquer Owo that was practically in Bini's plate? cheesy

Yes and Eko/Lagos is Idumota.

And Eleko has no crown.

And the land in Lagos the modern state is owned by Awori, Ijebu, Ekiti, Oyo & Ogu.

Eleko owns just a patch of land in Idumota and that is the only place Bini 'conquered' -- what an empire?

2 Likes

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by macof(m): 11:16pm On Jul 16, 2017
frankia:
Eko also means Farm in the native Awori dialect.
the bini camp was set up in modern day Enuwa, which is behind Idumota. the whole area used to be Farmlands for the Awori Idejo chiefs

so many times did Akure defeat bini in battle and force Bini troops back home

see illiterate. Abbysinia is not a popular kingdom? Netherland is not a popular kingdom(still existing), Denmark, Spain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, etc are all popular kingdoms

a typical bini ignoramus only knows Bini and Britain

6 Likes

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jul 16, 2017
macof:
A great kingdom, yes.
but in the league of empires, Bini is nothing of glory.

An empire that could not spread its ethnic identity, its language, its culture? its land? oh please. Don't insult true empires

Bro, been a while!
Good to see your handle is still alive and well.
Greetings!

2 Likes

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by banmee(m): 11:19pm On Jul 16, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

I was reading an article about the great pains the chinese gonthrough to maintain that wall. Thay Benin wall is probably half gone

You know why? Normal countries are always proud of their heritage and they know that because of that, people will come from all over the world to see what they have. Plenty of foreign exchange. Nigeria treats it's history like toilet paper. Something to be discarded. I don't blame them though. I wouldn't want to be proud of it either.
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by banmee(m): 11:21pm On Jul 16, 2017
Obaluf0n:

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire

1. At its maximum extent means Bini empire kingdom was at its peak militarily. It was at this point Bini army was very powerful & it was during this period it conquered/reached the areas below:

2. Ibos on the shores refers - Delta/Onitsha environs.

3. Just a minor part of Ondo - Owo which they never conquered and Akoko areas which they struggled to raid.

4. Current Lagos island is Idumota in specific terms.

Look at what these people call an empire cheesy. Only areas of moder day Delta state, Onitsha area, Akoko area & Idumota is what these deluded people refer to as an empire?

This people make empire as a noun look bad.

These folks have been struggling to equate themsslves with the Yoruba since mid-western region days. Notice in the quoted text above how they refer to Bini kingdom with patches of lands as an empire but referred to Oyo that spread as far as modern day Ghana/Togo as a 'kingdom'.

Lol. Now that's funny.

3 Likes

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
[s]
macof:
the bini camp was set up in modern day Enuwa, which is behind Idumota. the whole area used to be Farmlands for the Awori Idejo chiefs

see illiterate. Abbysinia is not a popular kingdom? Netherland is not a popular kingdom(still existing), Denmark, Spain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, etc are all popular kingdoms

[/s]

Akure defeat BENIN?! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin..... STOP BEEN PATHETIC ..... THE DECAPITATED HEADS OF YOUR KINGS ARE AT THE BENIN PALACE

2 Likes

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by macof(m): 11:28pm On Jul 16, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
[s][/s]

Akure defeat BENIN?! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin..... STOP BEEN PATHETIC ..... THE DECAPITATED HEADS OF YOUR KINGS ARE AT THE BENIN PALACE

I dont expect a novice on history and complete dundee to know that anyway...its no surprise
You that thinks Bini controlled everywhere up till Europe cheesy

4 Likes

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 11:29pm On Jul 16, 2017
frankia:

These SW people believe that if you repeat lies frequently enough, with a large number of people with ethnic bias reading it, and later claiming to know it as the truth, then you can twist history.

But we are not going to allow it.

SW people have put Benin Empire matter on their head like gala. And we give no single mess about theirs. shocked shocked shocked shocked

Last time here on a similar thread, they conspired to block that I could not comment anymore. That is how dirty they are ready to go.

Many will even leave their wives in bed to stay up and pump out ethno-centric lies first hatched by Awo. To make SW appear like one eternally homogeneous tribe that always dominated the South of Nigeria. Whereas many of them, especially in Eastern Yorubaland, up to Otun in Northern Ekiti, were Benin vassals.

Their sickening ethno-centric antics first cause Midwest to break away from Western Region in the 1963 referendum. We know them long ago.

I never used to take them seriously. But since they used lies & propaganda to oust GEJ and forced a bedridden old man on us, claiming he's the as the best leader since King Solomon, I now cannot stand akimbo. grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by saxyminia: 11:29pm On Jul 16, 2017
aljharem:
OP I have you time today. Enough of all these lies

1. The picture you displayed is NEVER bini but Sungbo's Eredo which is located in Ijebuland aka Yoruba

http://originalpeople.org/sungbos-eredo-africas-largest-man-structure/

2. Benin KINGDOM NOT AN EMPIRE. Do you know what an empire is ? shocked

3. Benin kingdom wall IS NOT ONE OF THE LARGEST MAN-MADE WALL. STOP THE LIES.

In Nigeria alone we have larger man made structures than benin wall.

- Sungbo Eredo
- The Queen Amina Palace. Just to mention a few

4. The british never fought benin, they simply conqured it. It is on record that only the Igbos and Lagosian fought the british

I don tire sef. I no get energy wer I get before

Anyway keep deceiving yourself
d op was wrong abt d pics the walls of benin are popularly know as d moat of now dey re not extensive as seen in d fake pics rada intrusive d height is quite very deep whem I mean deep very.
ds particular quote is wrong abt sayi bini is not an empire nobody argues that there history u shud read abt...the moats serves as protection bt dese days its used to control erosion. tnks
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by macof(m): 11:33pm On Jul 16, 2017
Obaluf0n:

Bro, been a while!
Good to see your handle is still alive and well.
Greetings!

Always well bro. The culture section has just been lacking in content lately so I'm not so active anymore

1 Like

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by macof(m): 11:39pm On Jul 16, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
[[s]quote author=macof post=58529161]

All lies. Bini and shameless lies

Ado-ekiti was founded as one of the original 16 crowned kingdoms in the late 13th century/early 14th century. It's origins go straight to Ifem
Bini never controlled Efon -Alaaye. [/s]

You always are pathetic every time you type.... I pity you bcus denial would do you no good

Lmao. I don't lie when it comes to history of all things
Im an ekiti man, you think i wouldn't kno how major ekiti cities were founded?
Well being the dunce that you are, you would think bini founded all cities in West Africa
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by saxyminia: 11:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
oluwasheun94:
4. The british never fought benin, they simply conqured it. damn....
its only reasonable that during a war one is conquered as in d greek wars...its simple there was a war n the British people won . thats all

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by saxyminia: 11:41pm On Jul 16, 2017
Sagay212:
Benin people can lie...nor be only asha.wo dem sabi...
benin dey learn now ooo
igbo agbor pipo nr try dem for d wrk
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 16, 2017
AreaFada2:

These SW people believe that if you repeat lies frequently enough, with a large number of people with ethnic bias reading it, and later claiming to know it as the truth, then you can twist history.

But we are not going to allow it.

SW people have put Benin Empire matter on their head like gala. And we give no single mess about theirs. shocked shocked shocked shocked

Last time here on a similar thread, they conspired to block that I could not comment anymore. That is how dirty they are ready to go.

Many will even leave their wives in bed to stay up and pump out ethno-centric lies first hatched by Awo. To make SW appear like one eternally homogeneous tribe that always dominated the South of Nigeria. Whereas many of them, especially in Eastern Yorubaland, up to Otun in Northern Ekiti, were Benin vassals.

Their sickening ethno-centric antics first cause Midwest to break away from Western Region in the 1963 referendum. We know them long ago.

I never used to take them seriously. But since they used lies & propaganda to oust GEJ and forced a bedridden old man on us, claiming he's the as the best leader since King Solomon, I now cannot stand akimbo. grin grin

Stop lying fam! Well, I am not surprised. Didn't you say you were some old British schooled diplomat? British trained diplomat who cosigns meme as a source of historical fact grin

We discussed the emboldebed before, Bini never conquered any part of Ekiti nor was any part of Ekiti a vassal town to Bini.

Otun Ekiti was a market town, it was a trade point between east and west. It was never conquered by Oyo nor Bini, stop lying old fellow.

1 Like

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jul 16, 2017
macof:

Always well bro. The culture section has just been lacking in content lately so I'm not so active anymore

Samd here fam. Had to delete my original handle over lack of content too but come here every once in a while to kill time when necessary.
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Dsov2016: 11:49pm On Jul 16, 2017
macof:

All lies. Bini and shameless lies

Ado-ekiti was founded as one of the original 16 crowned kingdoms in the late 13th century/early 14th century. It's origins go straight to Ife
Bini never controlled Efon -Alaaye.

Idiot read well benin sacked Eton alaye around 1820- 1840 . ado ekiti was founded by omumu. I know my history and you do not . ado is the yoruba( akure) corruption of Edo. Intact this ur history you are quoting were are u from I know I am descended from the opposing side. When the people who know history tell u u say it is a lie and listen to perverted stories.
Paternally I am related by marriage to omumu and descended from ufeloro dynasty that can trace its lineage to oduduwa directly. I know am telling u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Notatribalist(m): 11:52pm On Jul 16, 2017
aljharem:

1. The picture you displayed is NEVER bini but Sungbo's Eredo which is located in Ijebuland aka Yoruba

2. Benin KINGDOM NOT AN EMPIRE. Do you know what an empire is ? shocked

- Sungbo Eredo

4. The british never fought benin, they simply conqured it. It is on record that only the Igbos and Lagosian fought the british

Benin never fought the British? They were conquered? Hmmm,your lie non get part 2.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Dsov2016: 11:55pm On Jul 16, 2017
macof:

Benin never need Ed to conquer akure as they were allies as far as I know. Idanre was a major camp for benin warlords in1800s from where they launched an incursion and defeated and found many towns
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 12:21am On Jul 17, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
[s][/s]

The thing is a son of the former Eleko/Oba of Lagos was my schoolmate. He actually told me his family history. Before I heard same from other sources.

Until Oba Kosoko was deposed in 1853, Lagos was a Benin colony. It was that same year that Eleko Dosunmu had the effrontery to refuse Oba of Benin's command. The first by any Lagos ruler ever. The command was to allow Oba Kosoko return from Epe back to Eko/Lagos. He dared to refuse because British Navy guns were at Lagos harbour (the British now controlling & protecting him) after ceding Lagos to become a British protectorate.
They do not know the history from the source. They read a few revisionist books & think they know.

An Emperor is a king of Kings. One that has vassal kings under him. Therefore having control or influence over territories outside it's native land.
Benin had vassals paying tribute from what is now Delta, Eastern Yorubaland, rulers outside non-Benin areas of current Edo State to Lagos and other places.
Now tell me what else you need to be an empire. They think Empire only has to do with size. Maybe across Sahara desert to North Africa.

Esan chronicles clearly narrates the sacking of Akure in the 1820s because the Deji dared to make the insignia of office (the sceptre & sword called Ada & Eben) by himself instead of receiving them from Benin.

Many claimed that Benin did not spread their language & culture, so it was not an empire. They clearly do not understand Benin's idea of empire.
Benin always wanted to preserve Benin culture & language within core Benin area. So was the sense of superiority Benin had. Benin was very stratified with about 34 Royal Guilds. Each restricted to certain classes of people. To believe that Benin wanted its culture adulterated all over the territories is to completely miss the history.

Even in new territories, Benin only wanted to control central power and take over the elite cadre of the land. For example: When Oba Olua (reigned 1473 to 1480 AD) of Benin sent his son Prince Ginuwa to go and make a kingdom for himself as the Ogiame (The Lord of the Seas) in what is now Warri area, he gave him a full royal court. The courtiers were sons of Oba's own hereditary chiefs to replicate the royal court in the new land. So remains Itsekiri's monarchy & high chiefs mostly of Benin descent till today.
I am product of a similar royal party to Eastern Yorubaland.

Those SW people making noise here mostly have no properly links with the matter at hand. Since Obas are two a penny in SW, some will form royalty here. cheesy grin

Why would Aare Ona Kankanfo of Oyo empire make a treaty with Iyase Ekpenede of Benin at Otun in Northern Ekiti if it was not between two empires? Kankanfo planted date palm facing Oyo direction & Ekpenede planted Ikhimwin tree facing Benin to cement the treaty? Why Otun that is deep in Yorubaland? Simply because as history makes clear, it was to demarcate Benin & Oyo empires. Some nowadays claim it was to demarcate spheres of influence. What is the difference? There is no practical difference at all.

Many more stuff. Their denial is a show of desperation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by bereto(m): 12:39am On Jul 17, 2017
aljharem:

2. Benin KINGDOM NOT AN EMPIRE. Do you know what an empire is ? :

- Sungbo Eredo

Dude Benin was an empire
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:48am On Jul 17, 2017
AreaFada2:

The thing is a son of the former Eleko/Oba of Lagos was my schoolmate. He actually told me his family history. Before I heard same from other sources.

Until Oba Kosoko was deposed in 1853, Lagos was a Benin colony. It was that same year that Eleko Dosunmu had the effrontery to refuse Oba of Benin's command. The first by any Lagos ruler ever. The command was to allow Oba Kosoko return from Epe back to Eko/Lagos. He dared to refuse because British Navy guns were at Lagos harbour (the British now controlling & protecting him) after ceding Lagos to become a British protectorate.
They do not know the history from the source. They read a few revisionist books & think they know.

An Emperor is a king of Kings. One that has vassal kings under him. Therefore having control or influence over territories outside it's native land.
Benin had vassals paying tribute from what is now Delta, Eastern Yorubaland, rulers outside non-Benin areas of current Edo State to Lagos and other places.
Now tell me what else you need to be an empire. They think Empire only has to do with size. Maybe across Sahara desert to North Africa.

Esan chronicles clearly narrates the sacking of Akure in the 1820s because the Deji dared to make the insignia of office (the sceptre & sword called Ada & Eben) by himself instead of receiving them from Benin.

Many claimed that Benin did not spread their language & culture, so it was not an empire. They clearly do not understand Benin's idea of empire.
Benin always wanted to preserve Benin culture & language within core Benin area. So was the sense of superiority Benin had. Benin was very stratified with about 34 Royal Guilds. Each restricted to certain classes of people. To believe that Benin wanted it's culture adulterated all over the territories is to completely miss the history.

Even in new territories, Benin only wanted to control central power and take over the elite cadre of the land. For example: When Oba Olua (reigned 1473 to 1480 AD) of Benin sent his son Prince Ginuwa to go and make a kingdom for himself as the Ogiame (The Lord of the Seas) in what is now Warri area, he gave him a full royal court. The courtiers were sons of Oba's own hereditary chiefs to replicate the royal court in the new land. So remains Itsekiri's monarchy & high chiefs mostly of Benin descent till today.
I am product of a similar royal party to Eastern Yorubaland.

Those SW people making noise here mostly have no properly links with the matter at hand. Since Obas are two a penny in SW, some will form royalty here. cheesy grin

Why would Aare Ona Kankanfo of Oyo empire make a treaty with Iyase Ekpenede of Benin at Otun in Northern Ekiti if it was not between two empires? Kankanfo planted date palm facing Oyo direction & Ekpenede planted Ikhimwin tree facing Benin to cement the treaty? Why Otun that is deep in Yorubaland? Simply because as history makes clear, it was to demarcate Benin & Oyo empires. Some nowadays claim it was to demarcate sphere of influence. What is the difference? There is no practical difference at all.

Many more stuff. Their denial is a show of desperation.

Well Said!!
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 12:56am On Jul 17, 2017
Obaluf0n:

Stop lying fam! Well, I am not surprised. [b]Didn't you say you were some old British schooled diplomat? [/b]British trained diplomat who cosigns meme as a source of historical fact grin

We discussed the emboldebed before, Bini never conquered any part of Ekiti nor was any part of Ekiti a vassal town to Bini.

Otun Ekiti was a market town, it was a trade point between east and west. It was never conquered by Oyo nor Bini, stop lying old fellow.
You can lie I know. But I never knew you have comprehension problems too.
Anybody who follows my comments on important topics would know what i do for a living. Certainly as in real life, some may have found reasonable tips to some problems. No need to brag. British educated yes. Why not? I did not deny others the privilege to.

I remember that topic where you insinuated that the current Oba of Benin isn't well educated. I made it clear that how a UK-educated man that served as a diplomat (ambassador of Nigeria to Scandinavia covering several countries, Italy & Angola) cannot be poorly educated.

Please in your haste to insult others, still try to read well & understand. Thank you.

You see, these days, anyone can claim anything. What I said is on record. And I have said it here for years. One Otun guy first argued same like two years ago. Later he ended up soliciting for more historical info about his town. I have seen many here.
It is even irrelevant now anyway.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 1:30am On Jul 17, 2017
AreaFada2:

You can lie I know. But I never knew you have comprehension problems too.
Anybody who follows my comments on important topics would know what i do for a living. Certainly as in real life, some may have found reasonable tips to some problems. No need to brag. British educated yes. Why not? I did not deny others the privilege to.

I remember that topic where you insinuated that the current Oba of Benin isn't well educated. I made it clear that how can a UK-educated man that served as a diplomat (ambassador of Nigeria to Scandinavia covering several countries, Italy & Angola) cannot be poorly educated.

Please in your haste to insult others, still try to read well & understand. Thank you.

You see, these days, anyone can claim anything. What I said is on record. And I have said it here for years. One Otun guy first argued same like two years ago. Later he ended up soliciting for more historical info about his town. I have seen many here.
It is even irrelevant now anyway.

First emboldened -- OK.

Second emboldened -- an ignorant Otun guy soliciting for information on his own hometown from you means nothing, really. There are ignorant Bini folks out there too who would solicit for data on any story that intetests them no mattet how convoluted -- ignorants folks are everywhere. With that said, I shared a link on Otun history during our last back & forth which stated Otun was a market town and was never conquered neither by Oyo nor Bini.

Side comment -- Please looking at the wikipedia excerpt I quoted in my other post, why does it refer to Oyo a much larger territory with several nations under it as a kingdom but refers to Bini a much smaller area with few nations under it as an empire, do you by chance know why or is this part of the subtle plot to tuck Yoruba under Bini?

4 Likes

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by nothernstar: 1:55am On Jul 17, 2017
Britain really underdeveloped Africa. Benin is in the same fate with Egypt. One a world leader but lost all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 5:43am On Jul 17, 2017
[quote author=Obaluf0n post=58531172]

First emboldened -- OK.

Second emboldened -- an ignorant Otun guy soliciting for information on his own hometown from you means nothing, really. There are ignorant Bini folks out there too who would solicit for data on any story that intetests them no mattet how convoluted -- ignorants folks are everywhere. With that said, I shared a link on Otun history during our last back & forth which stated Otun was a market town and was never conquered neither by Oyo nor Bini.

Side comment -- Please looking at the wikipedia excerpt I quoted in my other post, why does it refer to Oyo a much larger territory with several nations under it as a kingdom but refers to Bini a much smaller area with few nations under it as an empire, do you by chance know why or is this part of the subtle plot to tuck Yoruba under Bini?[/quote]

Maybe you should read my other submission earlier about meaning of an empire. Empire is not just about size. I do not remember comparing the size of Oyo to Benin in imperial times. Because I am not an expert on Oyo. It certainly stretched to some Savannah lands going up North. It was used to explain why Kankanfo used date palm to symbolically mark Oyo-Benin border while Benin a rain forest plant called Ikhimwin. According to some writers/experts I asked. Traditionally planted by Benin people to mark a new village, settlement or boundary.
I guess the problem is that you see TUCKING YORUBA UNDER BENIN AS A GOAL. Instead, it is Yoruba people coming up with empire denial as if their lives depend on it. They descend on every thread involving Benin history.

You clearly forget that at the material time, what you call Yoruba today did not exist as it does now. You were Ijebu, Awori, Egba, Oyo, Owo, Ekiti, etc. It was more like Benin, Esan, Afemai of today. They saw themselves as related but different. The standardization of Yoruba lanuguage (oyo Yoruba largely) has blurred the lines. But still my relatives native to Ekiti & those native to Ondo still have dialectic difference even till now. Emir Kanu Lamido Sanusi also made this point a few years ago.

The internecine civil wars in Yorubaland were political but it was partly made possible because they saw themselves as different. Though modern Yoruba people cannot imagine it. Back then, it would not have been perceived a civil wars by most. It was different nations/kingdoms against each other by and large.

You also miss another point about empire & conquest. Successful empires moderate or large were NOT build through 100% conquest. In fact wars have been the least preferred option except where inevitable. It was through strategic alliances. Such as offering smaller kingdoms/chiefdoms friendship and protection in return for recognizing the larger/more powerful king as overlord. And pay homage/tribute.
A land that accepted such friendly terms of suzerainty get lots of freedom to operate internally.
I will give you an example.

In the height of transatlantic slave trade, Benin had banned slavery in core Benin area. But vassal lords insisted on their own internal freedom to trade in their own people. The Oba had to accept. A French slave trader made an interesting observation then. Travelling from Benin City to the port of Ughoton (Gwatto) near Benin, he found along the route about 100 slaves displayed for sale. Like you would see bags of garri or pineapples along Nigerian highways today. In his journal he wrote that all the slaves and slave traders were Yoruba, Igbo and other tribes. That Benin people were banned from taking part in slave trade. Cannot be sold or sell another person.
Today, Benin is one of the few tribes in Southern Nigeria without a slave diaspora. Aside a few raided in border areas by criminal syndicates then.
The smartest way to build an empire was to persuade if possible by projecting military might (intimidate a bit, stick & carrot) then fight if inevitable.

So Benin had swathes of land in Eastern Yourbaland, parts of Ijebu country to access Lagos by land. These were considered different lands then. NOT one Yorubaland as it is now. The level of local autonomy depended on how the land came under control. Owo was highly autonomous for example. Despite being conquered by Benin, there had long been blood relationship between both royal houses, so terms were fairly generous. Even Yoruba historians agree on that generous terms.

Vassal lands did not always remain so. Many used any slight opportunity to try to wriggle out of it or just rebelled. Wars to quell rebellion were not uncommon. So no surprise that only war-like Obas like Oba Ewuare I (1440-1473), Oba Ozolua (1480-1504), Oba Esigie (1504-1547) & Oba Orhogbua (1547-1580, who took Lagos) made the most gains of territory. Lots of surviving Benin ceremonial plaques depicting the triumphant King returning from war were of Oba Esigie.

Sorry I digress a lot but necessary.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by ayan1990: 6:12am On Jul 17, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Mcreloaded(m): 6:25am On Jul 17, 2017
I have lived decades in beninnand ibhave never heard of anything like the Benin wall OP please get ur facts tight we only have a big ,wide and large hole dug round Benin to deter its enemies from attacking the city. The hole dug is called the Benin moats and nothing like the Benin wall
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by somehow: 7:00am On Jul 17, 2017
But common sense should tell you that an area known mostly for fishing can't be named a farm because eko then was more of water, seaport for trading both goods and slaves.
So how xcan you claim such? Eko - farm? Lolz any record?

Its on record that eko was a war camp of the binis and they controlled eko then.

Until you can change the accounts of the Europeans who had deals with the binis in Edo, your epistle remains a tale by moonlight.
macof:

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photos Of Emir Sanusi's Library In His Palace / Photos From Ikwerre Bicycle Carnival, Rivers State / Saadatu Lamido Celebrates Her 19th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.