Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:50 PM

Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. (23144 Views)

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale / Most Cubans Originated From Yorubaland – Ambassador / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ogajim(m): 10:08pm On Feb 08, 2010
Weed is also called Igbo , LOL
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 12:04am On Feb 09, 2010
Bini and Yoruba are from the same Ancestor and they are actually siblings from Acient Egypt.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by mastalee(m): 1:30am On Feb 09, 2010
This tread is interesting
but it would be nice if
some proof can be
attached to your
claims
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ezeagu(m): 1:56am On Feb 09, 2010
babaearly:

Bini and Yoruba are from the same Ancestor and they are actually siblings from Acient Egypt.

Is it Ancient Egypt, Nubia or Middle east again? undecided
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 4:02am On Feb 09, 2010
ezeagu:

So your queen no longer defeated the Igbo?

which queen?

ezeagu:

Is it Ancient Egypt, Nubia or Middle east again? undecided

umu and umma- what do they mean?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by rabzy: 2:54pm On Feb 09, 2010
Dimka 76:

Well, isn't that the whole essence of a thread. I have seen much worse here If you can't stand the heat you get outta the kitchen. I am not insulting anyone and I am partly yoruba meself i am merely recounting what seems to be common knowledge to me.
Dahomey was renamed Benin after the old Bini empire. What else is there to say?

Hello Dimka, i never said ua going to insult anyone, i only meant people often can't handle history and ethnic issues without resorting to insults, i love reading history, getting to know things about different culture and people and i have done quite a bit, i do not see any tribe as superior or greater than any other people, but fact is fact, and its not wrong to investigate and find out

And am wholly from Edo state, my dad is from Igueben and my mom is from Ekpoma, and i also speak the language, so my saying we need more enlightenment about the dahomey angle is strictly for knowledge reasons, i would prefer you provide credible links from noteworthy historians, Journalists, etc, preferably people from Benin republic to support the Edo-dahomey connection.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Witi(m): 5:40pm On Feb 09, 2010
A STREAM THAT FORGET HIS SOURCE SHALL SURELY DRY OFF.
http://www.dawodu.com/aluko89.htm
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by rabzy: 6:08pm On Feb 09, 2010
Witi:

A STREAM THAT FORGET HIS SOURCE SHALL SURELY DRY OFF.
http://www.dawodu.com/aluko89.htm

Itumo owe ti epa bros, who be source, who be stream.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Witi(m): 9:16am On Feb 10, 2010
rabzy:

Itumo owe ti epa bros, who be source, who be stream.
Yoruba ni orisun Bini ni odo. Yoruba na the source Bini people na stream.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by rabzy: 9:58am On Feb 10, 2010
Witi:

Yoruba ni orisun Bini ni odo. Yoruba na the source Bini people na stream.

O dabi enipe ibi ti oni ki aka, iwo tikarare, o o ka. Se ohun ti ibeyen so ni yen ni? Bini o sun lati eya Yoruba rara, ibi ti a ti tan ni oro oloba. Please read ur link first, or make some more researches before giving us proverbs.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by foyeks2001(f): 2:46pm On Feb 12, 2010
one of Oduduwa's son was the first Oba of Benin Kingdom
He happened to be the eldest child of Oduduwa, n he was a great hunter.
He went for hunting when Oduduwa passed on, so the people of Ile-Ife waited for him for almost 10days to returned so that he could be crowned the new king but unfortunately he arrrived the day the king makers was trying to wear his younger brother the royal beads as the new king having been crowned, he was so angry when he saw all these( that those king makers should have waited for him to come), he snatched the beads from one of the king makers and left in anger and thats y the Oba of Binins dont wear crown but uses beads.
So he now named the place he finally settled as Ile Ibinu(land of anger), which is now Benin
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by snowdrops(m): 4:03pm On Feb 12, 2010
foyeks2001:

[b]one of Oduduwa's son was the first Oba of Benin Kingdom[/b]He happened to be the eldest child of Oduduwa, n he was a great hunter.
He went for hunting when Oduduwa passed on, so the people of Ile-Ife waited for him for almost 10days to returned so that he could be crowned the new king but unfortunately he arrrived the day the king makers was trying to wear his younger brother the royal beads as the new king having been crowned, he was so angry when he saw all these( that those king makers should have waited for him to come), he snatched the beads from one of the king makers and left in anger and thats y the Oba of Binins dont wear crown but uses beads.
So he now named the place he finally settled as Ile Ibinu(land of anger), which is now Benin
This is sheer nonsense. Benin had been existing before the time of the Obas. Its onvious you have not read the comments in this thread before vomitting you disinformation.

According to traditional account, the original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Bini, were initially ruled by the Ogisos (Kings of the Sky). The city of Ubini (later called Benin City) was founded in 1180 AD.

About 36 known Ogiso are accounted for as rulers of the empire. One oral tradition states that during the reign the last Ogiso, his son and heir apparent Ekaladerhan was banished from Benin as a result of one of the Queens changing a message from the oracle to the Ogiso. Prince Ekaladerhan was a powerful warrior and well loved. On leaving Benin he travelled in a westerly direction to the land of the Yoruba. At that time the Ifá oracle said that the Yoruba people of Ile Ife (also known as Ife) will be ruled by a man who would come out of the forest. Following Ekaladerhans arrival at the Yoruba city of Ife also known as Ile Ife, he finally rose to the position of the Oba (meaning 'king' or 'ruler' in the Yoruba language) and later received the title of Ooni of Ife. He changed his name to 'Izoduwa,' (which in his native language meant, 'I have chosen the path of prosperity') and became The great Oduduwa, also known as Odudua, Oòdua and Eleduwa, of the Yoruba. On the death of his father, the last Ogiso, a group of Benin Chiefs led by Chief Oliha came to Ife, pleading with Oba (King) Oduduwa to return to Benin to ascend the throne. Oduduwa's reply was that a ruler cannot leave his domain but he had seven sons and would ask one of them to go back to Benin to become the next King.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ogajim(m): 4:27pm On Feb 12, 2010
One thing you all need to know about EDO people is that they know their history to the last man. You need to come correct, Oduduwa sent his last son to Benin and he didn't talk until uttering "owomika" which Benin people translated to Eweka, check your history folks.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by foyeks2001(f): 5:53pm On Feb 12, 2010
@snowdrops

u will need to go to cbn n collect money, sake of say
rubbish, i will not exchange words with u mr historian because ur great grandfather made u guys to be so aggressive, while we yorubas are peace loving people
gudnite
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ogajim(m): 5:56pm On Feb 12, 2010
foyeks2001:

@snowdrops

u will need to go to cbn n collect money, sake of say
rubbish, i will not exchange words with u mr historian because your great grandfather made u guys to be so aggressive, while we yorubas are peace loving people
gudnite

LOL, peace loving ko peace loving ni, kiriji wars, agbekoya riots, Ondo riots, etc, are you a kid?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by foyeks2001(f): 6:03pm On Feb 12, 2010
@Ogajim

all these riot been mentioned were caused by outsiders like u because u were allowed into our midst(to cause confusion amongs us) just because we are accomodating
kid ko, kid nii
lets meet on monday cos av got(closed for the week) to leave now
gudnite
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ogajim(m): 6:05pm On Feb 12, 2010
Already then, lunchtime for me, have a safe trip home.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by GODSON2009(m): 6:06pm On Feb 12, 2010
everybody s just espousing their own nebulous assertions without any proof.
@poster
im sure you hacve heard the legal term that he who asserts,but alos proof.
what you seem to be doing is reeling off some assertions,which you want us to accept as facts without backing it up with any credible source, any body can link languages up in a ny way shape or form,that is not enough reason,i cant speak hausa but i know albasa in hausa and yoruba mean the same thing,does that now mean that queen amina flew from the sky and sent her first born son to ile ife
see how funny your assertions sound?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ogajim(m): 6:12pm On Feb 12, 2010
GODSON, OP provided a link to dawodu web page for all to check out apart from the oral history a lot of us are familiar with, being a lawyer (correct me if I am wrong), you are expected to present a rebuttal right?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 12, 2010
ogajim:

One thing you all need to know about EDO people is that they know their history to the last man. You need to come correct, Oduduwa sent his last son to Benin and he didn't talk until uttering "owomika" which Benin people translated to Eweka, check your history folks.

owomika does not sound like eweka.

If i were you, I'd look more closely at Eweka and emeka if you want to find similarities.

emeka may be derived from eweka.

But forget this owomika story. If indeed someone came to Benin and said that, it still doesnt mean eweka came from there unless you want to make it by force for reasons best known to you.

No be say Binis like Yoruba people pass. Nobody likes anybody pass in Nigeria.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ogajim(m): 6:40pm On Feb 12, 2010
How can you dispute something you have no knowledge of? Didn't Oduduwa come from the eastern forest?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by honeric01(m): 3:36pm On Feb 22, 2010
Kingdom of Benin
Kingdom of Benin, state of West Africa that flourished from the 15th to the 17th century. Its capital was Benin City, in present-day Nigeria. Founded by the Edo or Bini people in the 12th century, it was ruled by a line of kings (obas) who were originally war leaders, but later assumed a more religious character. The extent of the kingdom is uncertain, but it probably controlled most of southern Nigeria in its heyday.

One of the most influential obas of Benin was Ewuare, who ruled the kingdom from approximately 1440 to 1470. Ewuare dramatically increased the territory controlled by the kingdom, strengthened the central government, and established a system of primogeniture under which the title of oba would pass from father to son. He is also thought to have commissioned a series of fortifications surrounding the capital city.

During the reign of Ewuare’s son Ozolua, who served as oba from about 1480 to 1504, Benin developed mutually beneficial commercial and diplomatic relations with Portugal. Some evidence suggests that Ozolua’s son and successor, Esigie, may have spoken and read Portuguese. From the 16th through the 18th century the kingdom traded with European merchants in palm oil, ivory, pepper, and textiles. Benin also took part in the slave trade, although after the early 16th century the king allowed only female slaves to be exported. In the 18th century, French, Portuguese, and Dutch traders opened ports and trading posts along the Beninese coast, exchanging weapons for slaves.

As patrons of the arts, the obas sponsored the creation of some of Benin’s most famous art work. Brass bas reliefs, which originally hung on the palace walls, depict scenes of life at the court of the obas. Traditional bronze ceremonial jewelry from the kingdom, which was hand cast and highly detailed, is considered to be one of the finest achievements of African art.

The power of the Kingdom of Benin declined in the 18th and 19th centuries. The country was annexed to British Nigeria in 1897, became a colony of French West Africa in 1904, and finally regained independence as the Republic of Benin in 1960. Despite these changes, the obas still perform administrative and ceremonial functions into the 21st century.

Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2008. © 1993-2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

http://www.si.edu/nmafa/exhibits/beninsp.htm
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Dimka76(m): 8:42pm On Feb 25, 2010
tpia.:

If i were you, I'd look more closely at Eweka and emeka if you want to find similarities.

But forget this owomika story. If indeed someone came to Benin and said that, it still doesnt mean eweka came from there unless you want to make it by force for reasons best known to you.

Tpia pls stop rambling! Ur history is bizzare.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 10:05pm On Feb 25, 2010
Dimka 76:

Irrelevant ke? Are we not talking of blokus size?

Am not bragging o, do u want me to email you the pix?

Believe o , Im Massive. Wanna try?

Far be it from me to engage you in any non-blokos related conversation since na there your brain dey.

cheerios.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ezeagu(m): 11:22pm On Feb 25, 2010
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by AloyEmeka5: 1:08am On Feb 26, 2010

This biatch is at it again. Ememka, my name means Chiemeka or Chukwuemeka which translates to God has done well in English.  How can that be derived from Eweka?. Why not seek for the meaning of Eweka before rambling your anus here?. Delta and Anambra Igbos  answer Iweka and that name is very popular among Onitsha,Atani and Obosi people who incidentally come from Benin. May be there is a relationship between Iweka and Eweka but it cannot be established without finding their meanings.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 3:07am On Feb 26, 2010
^^ your bitchy mama you mean

who invited you into this thread?

your madness dey worry you again?

did anyone here start foaming at the mouth like you're doing now?

were
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Dimka76(m): 8:35am On Feb 26, 2010
We are talking history here dis mugu go carry my post from size of blokus come paste here. See what I mean? You just talk,hardly ever make sense.
Wetin concern blokus 4 dis matter, Ewu. Where u dey self? Papua new Guinea? Buuussshman! Pls hide ur ignorance and lack of communication skills behind silence. All u do is snarl and rant. Bini, Birnin, Dahomey, Idaho,, Eweka, Emeka. So u just think up names that rhyme and cook up thoeries. Guy hope u are doing a menial job? Cos behind a desk with a pen and paper numskulls like u could wreak havoc.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Dimka76(m): 8:52am On Feb 26, 2010
GODSON2009:

everybody s just espousing their own nebulous assertions without any proof.
@poster
im sure you hacve heard the legal term that he who asserts,but alos proof.
what you seem to be doing is reeling off some assertions,which you want us to accept as facts without backing it up with any credible source, any body can link languages up in a ny way shape or form,that is not enough reason,i cant speak hausa but i know albasa in hausa and yoruba mean the same thing,does that now mean that queen amina flew from the sky and sent her first born son to ile ife
see how funny your assertions sound?

There are some issues that are presumed to be general knowledge,eg, unijos is a sch of higher learning, Abi? Benin empire was a great empire, now I dont have to prove dat. It is a proven fact except to people like tpia who are in another intellectual iceage.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Dimka76(m): 9:54am On Feb 26, 2010
tpia.
U don go wash toilet again then in the evning u will start venting ur frustrations on your betters. If anyone sounds rabid here it is you. You seem to understand the symptoms of insanity pretty well, but of course, you got urself to study tongue
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by igboboy1(m): 1:11pm On Feb 28, 2010
Who gives a rat a$$, Small England colonized one third of the world una dey argue which village colonize which village,

Since am not Bini or yoruba i can be an impartial judge:

Lagos was founded by the Binis not the Yorubas

Oduduwa was a Bini Man who moved to Ife, then he later sent his son back to Bini land to reclaim the throne,

O boy so both of una stop arguing before i flog UNA
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by nolongtin(m): 11:20pm On Feb 13, 2011
Vanguard

How Oba of Benin goofed, by Ooni of Ife

Sunday, May 09, 2004

"Records in the archives made it clear that since 1191AD, the Ooni of Ife had to be informed, and clearance must be given by him on the new Oba of Benin to be installed up to 1916" We have to thank God Almighty for the life of our great mother whose memoirs we are launching today. Before I continue my speech, I would want all of us to rise for a two minute-silence while we pray for the repose of the soul of our late revered father and leader of our people - Papa Obafemi Awolowo of blessed memory. Our mother has laid good examples for the women in this country to follow, and in her excellent ways of doing things she can be described as the mother of the blue whales which are the biggest creatures on earth. It is worthy of note that even at this age mama could still write her memoirs for both this generation and the generation unborn to read.

For several decades, mama has gradually metamorphosed from a simple woman to a housewife, the jewel of inestimable value, and holder of the all-significant title of Yeye-Oba of Ife and now the ultimate: Yeye-Oodua. Our prayer for our very dear mama- Yeye Oodua is to physically live forever if it is possible.

At this juncture, it is just right to allow the entire world to know that the name Oduduwa, the founder of our dynasty and from where we derive the present title of Mama can never be corrupted or bastardized by any living being in an attempt to create for himself an unnecessary distortion of historical fact.

Oduduwa the legend, the father of the bigger Yoruba dynasty has no connection whatsoever with Ogiso dynasty in Benin history as portrayed by the Oba of Benin, because Oduduwa descended directly from heaven through a chain to where is now known as Ife today in company of four hundred deities

Last Thursday 29th April 2004 Omonoba the Oba of Benin goofed during the launching of his book titled “I remain, Sir, your obedient servant’ in this same building where he described Oduduwa on page 205 as one Ekalederhan, a Benin Prince who had once escaped the community’s axe-man, later reappeared in weeeks after wandering in the bush from Benin for a very long time.

According to him, the same Ekalederhan, having become the ruler in weeks refused to go back to Benin on request, but instead sent Oranmiyan his son basically on a” home-coming mission” to start the present dynasty in Benin. It will interest the public to know the facts about the Ife-Benin relationship which are as follows: 1. The Oba of Benin whose dynasty commenced in 1191 AD was an Ife Prince borrowed to the people of Benin on their request after the rule of the Ogiso have ended in Benin history.

2. It was a request that Ife must help to provide them with a ruler, then Oduduwa the legend, decided to send Prince Oranmiyan who established that dynasty and whose first son in Benin from a Benin woman was Owomika (Eweka) the progenitor of all Benin Obas including Omonoba since l191 AD.

Since Oranmiyan dynasty started in Benin, all the heads of the Obas of Benin on demise were buried in Ife in a sacred place called “Orun-Oba-Ado” up to the year 1900. 4. Records in the archives made it clear that since 1191AD, the Ooni of Ife had to be informed, and clearance must be given by him on the new Oba of Benin to be installed up to 1916.

5. The official language in the palace of Oba of Benin till 1934 was Yoruba. 6. The father of the present Oba of Benin was a member of the House of Chiefs in the old Western Nigeria under our late revered father Sir Adesoji Aderemi, my predecessor and the First African governor in the whole African continent.

The Oba of Benin should go and read what his fore fathers told the Portuguese explorers during their visit to Benin on 2nd July 1550AD about the relationship between Ife and Benin. So, it is too late for Omonoba to rewrite our history. The word Oba, which is part of any of Benin oba’s title, shows clearly that they are from the bigger Yoruba dynasty. It is rather too late in the day to rewrite our history, which cannot be backed with any documentary evidence.

I have to thank the Benin first historian Jacob U. Egharevba for his publications, which contained the correct account of the relationship between Ife and Benin which the Oba of Benin is now condemning. At this stage, Mama, you are Mama Oodua. Covering the entire Yoruba nation both here and in diaspora including the Benin Kingdom where Omonoba Erediauwa by the grace of God is the Oba.

•Excerpts from the address of Ooni Ife at the launch of H.I.D Awolowo's biography.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ekele (greetings, Well-wishing, Compliments, Regard, Salutation) In Igbo Culture / Fulani Siddika Sanusi's Bridal Shower (Photos) / Dallas Has Officially Declared October 7, 2023 As Yoruba Festival Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.