Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,163 members, 7,780,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:13 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (386626 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:44pm On Jun 12, 2018
onibokun10:
Op I'll like to ask you this. From your assessment of that country , will you advise anyone to come over and seek greener pastures either in education or business or stay over in Nigeria and do business??!
Putting to consideration chances of being employed and business survival in both countries, you've stayed in both countries, you'll have better ideas
My personal opinion -
Nigeria feels like a tunnel without light at the end, USA has excess light BEFORE the end of the tunnel.

The Nigerian environment is a business killer, I know several people trying to run businesses. In the USA, you can EASILY get loanS to run businesses in an environment that supports you.

Coming on an F1 student visa serves as a springboard to find headways here AND buys you time to properly plan your future here or help you decide if goin back to Nigeria is best for you.

I don't prefer or like it here, I LOVE it here! Even only the sanity experienced here carries enough points.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:54pm On Jun 12, 2018
donanod:
Oga @MackyNaija,

Well done Sir. I have a question regarding how you manage to get A’s with all the other activities you’re involved with.

Could you give a breakdown of what you did in your Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 semesters to maintain these excellent grades, while at the same time making sure there was a balance with non-academic involvements.

Thanks
I'll need to address this properly...
It will be lenthy but I'll find time to do it and also summarize what I do.

1. Know your strengths - I avoided what I studied in undergrad in Nigeria.

2. Do what is required - class attendance, assignments and tests.

3. Read ya farking books.

4. And most especially, they 'curve grades' in my department.

I'll talk more on these points.
I have done the hardest courses in my department, the remaining 6 be like sure A's.

16 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:47am On Jun 13, 2018
onibokun10:
Op I'll like to ask you this. From your assessment of that country , will you advise anyone to come over and seek greener pastures..
Putting to consideration chances of being employed and business survival in both countries, you've stayed in both countries, you'll have better ideas
I saw this thread few minutes ago...

https://www.nairaland.com/4550649/dont-think-nigeria-ever-get#up

https://www.nairaland.com/4462513/life-abroad-worth-stress-hype

Read through, be gingered and save yourself!

9 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:54am On Jun 13, 2018
@Dona.nod

1. Know your strengths.
Did mechanical in Nigeria, I decided to do Industrial in Yankee that has similar prospects as naija undergrad and closely builds on undergrad and work experience.

Mechanical here go worse pass industrial wey I deh do, I no need stress. cheesy

If I had 9 battey lives, masters in mechanical would zap maybe 7-8 lives to get the same number of A's.
Masters in industrial is technically chilling for me, I need like 4-5 lives to make A's.

Na condition carry me go back school so I needed to do the masters on a soft level.

18 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:01am On Jun 13, 2018
2. Do what is required.

I attempt to attend ALL lectures no matter how early in the morning it is or how cold the weather is.

I do all assignments and prepare well for all tests (you cannot know everything).
Put in your best.

At the beginning of the semester, we are given a syllabus that shows how grades are allocated for the course.
Attendance has marks (osho free) and final exam might be 30% as against 70% in naija. So if you jonse at the beginning, the chances of getting an A reduces.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 7:08am On Jun 13, 2018
MackyNaija
How is the cost of living so far?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:09am On Jun 13, 2018
3. Read very well.

What's the primary job of a student? It is reading.

Settling into a new environment and going back to school after several years wasn't easy.

I had a 'support group' - people that were enthusiastic as I was to read. This helped a lot.

I bought almost all the recommended textbooks and read them, anything I didn't understand I asked others who understood it.

16 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:14am On Jun 13, 2018
4. Curve Grade.

Simple, I made sure I was far to the right hand side of the median score.

Stay in the top percentile and IF a bulk of the class needs to be pushed from C to B, the top students will get A's if they are not already there.

This was a backup plan, I always ensured I didn't need this.

Studies in the US is demanding but if you put in the effort, you'll see the output cos there's no room for victimization from professors.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:21am On Jun 13, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
MackyNaija
How is the cost of living so far?
How do you mean?
I have written about living costs before.
Make your question clearer.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 7:28am On Jun 13, 2018
MackyNaija:

How do you mean?
I have written about living costs before.
Make your question clearer.
First semester, you had spent $7000 meaning its likely you will spend up to about $15,000 per annum including living cost.
Asking if its still within that bracket.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:42am On Jun 13, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

First semester, you had spent $7000 meaning its likely you will spend up to about $15,000 per annum including living cost.
Asking if its still within that bracket.
It isn't stable..

FOR MY SITUATION -
School fee approx $3500
Rent, utilities and living cost approx $400 monthly. $2000 for a semester.

Add am together, na 5500$.
Add initial setup costs and it rises further.

It isn't stable, find what works for you but be sure that in a small American village like mine, rent+utilities must be greater than 200$, food+phone sub like $100.
This na say you too mise money.

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Heisenberglos: 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2018
Bro. I gained admission to tamuk and i wasn't given a new graduate student scholarship. I made a request to graduate dept and they told me that i didn't qualify (probably because of my gre score wasn't good enough). On a previous post, you made mention of 'disturbing' them to get an out-of-state tuition waiver. Is this gonna work?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by donanod(m): 1:54pm On Jun 13, 2018
MackyNaija:

I'll need to address this properly...
It will be lenthy but I'll find time to do it and also summarize what I do.

1. Know your strengths - I avoided what I studied in undergrad in Nigeria.

2. Do what is required - class attendance, assignments and tests.

3. Read ya farking books.

4. And most especially, they 'curve grades' in my department.

I'll talk more on these points.
I have done the hardest courses in my department, the remaining 6 be like sure A's.

Thanks a lot @MackyNaija.

This and your elaborations are very helpful.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:04pm On Jun 13, 2018
Heisenberglos:
Bro. I gained admission to tamuk and i wasn't given a new graduate student scholarship. I made a request to graduate dept and they told me that i didn't qualify (probably because of my gre score wasn't good enough). On a previous post, you made mention of 'disturbing' them to get an out-of-state tuition waiver. Is this gonna work?

It is always cheaper to rewrite GRE for N50,000 than pay $7500 as out of state tuition and as high as $12,000 in some schools.

I recently discovered from talking with 2 summer grad students that a score of anything near 300 gives you a good chance.

There are individuals on this thread that didn't get it earlier but asked and were later given, they can comment to help explain what they think happened.

Modified, June 16:
It would make sense if you delay your coming, rewrite GRE, apply again and get the scholarship. Saves you thousands of dollars.

Use approx $4000 each semester for 4 courses and wrap up the program with little cost in 3 semesters.

I recently met a Pakistani doing 4 courses this summer. Previously felt 2 courses are the maximum one could take.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Tunmise100(m): 3:01pm On Jun 16, 2018
Mackynaija i just PM u. pls i need you to help criticize my proposed transcript for my visa interview
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ugosample(m): 3:17pm On Jun 16, 2018
MackyNaija:
I saw this thread few minutes ago...
https://www.nairaland.com/4550649/dont-think-nigeria-ever-get#up
https://www.nairaland.com/4462513/life-abroad-worth-stress-hype

Read through, be gingered and save yourself!

LMAO mackynaija grin grin

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:33pm On Jun 16, 2018
Tunmise100:
Mackynaija i just PM u. pls i need you to help criticize my proposed transcript for my visa interview
Sorry, I don't offer such services.

You can use the compiled transcripts I attached below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vv0a0sfgaysztiq/AADbiS4UG7q57b0qcFPjaPkna?dl=0

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:47pm On Jun 16, 2018
I copied the post below from another thread, it was addressed to me -
Grupo:

Bro, abeg show me the way. I wan reason MSc for that side. And meself no be rich kid o. I no even be middle kid, na poor kid I be. So, $20,000 no dey.
I'm serious, should I send pm?

First and foremost, you must have some funds to embark on this journey.

I recommend schools in Texas because they are the cheapest I have seen; $3000 - $4000 per semester for school fees.

You need to be sure of the first 2 payments, living cost can be sorted Most times with an on-campus job.

I have previously explained how a scholarship here can last for 3 semesters which is Fall, Spring and Summer.

***The bigger the school, the better.
UofH would have cost me roughly the same thing in fees minus living cost (I don't have a personal experience relating to living cost anywhere else except Oklahoma, Chicago and Arizona from people I know living there as 'students').

A bigger school also 'guarantees' an on-campus job (nothing is sure in this life).
Graduate assitantship (GA, TA and RA) is also more certain (I know because I take a peek at UofH website once in 60days).
If you get an internship, you'll also get paid and your journey continues.

This is not a spiritual approach, it is a practical one.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:05pm On Jun 16, 2018
travelland:

I read your thread on life of a student abroad with amusement. It's clear that you are from a rich background here in Nigeria.

Apart from school grants I'm sure you still had to cough out about $20,000K for tuition/living cost and other expenses, you are so privileged that you prefer to volunteer during your break than to hustle for needed funds because money is not your problem.

Now, many American citizens in your shoes will have to work their back sides off to pay up student loans, even those on scholarship will still have to hustle to pay living cost...
That was part of what another poster wrote that started the current discussion I replied above...

It is full of assumptions. I only wish people that school here with me could comment..
How many Nigerians leave for the US masters with confirmed $10k - $15k??

Hope keeps us alive here, there are numerous legitimate ways to push through the financial aspecs and complete the program.

Chief of which is getting an RA in a big school, your entire tuition could be fully funded.

Finally, check for the list of funded schools on 'prodigy finance' and try to attend one as this can be used as a backup plan if need be.

Forget the naysayers and make the move.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ediku126: 10:48am On Jun 18, 2018
Mackeynaija

Any plans on life after school, are you planing to remain there and become a permanent resident and then a citizen or planing to come back to Naija?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:35pm On Jun 19, 2018
Ediku126:
Mackeynaija

Any plans on life after school, are you planing to remain there and become a permanent resident and then a citizen or planing to come back to Naija?
At the embassy I told them I'll return after my studies. cheesy

If they BEG ME to remain here, I MAY CONSIDER them! grin

23 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:36pm On Jun 19, 2018
Ediku126:
Mackeynaija

10 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by ak22(m): 2:25pm On Jun 19, 2018
MackyNaija:

See Africa man .

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Unlimited22: 2:26pm On Jun 19, 2018
MackyNaija:

You no well grin

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ediku126: 8:48am On Jun 20, 2018
MackyNaija:

Rephrase grin grin

At the embassy I told them I'll return after my studies.

If I BEG THEM to remain here, THEY MAY CONSIDER me!

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:13am On Jun 20, 2018
Ediku126:

Rephrase grin grin

At the embassy I told them I'll return after my studies.

If I BEG THEM to remain here, THEY MAY CONSIDER me!
Story, I have an upper hand here.
For now I might consider their offer.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ugosample(m): 9:57am On Jun 20, 2018
MackyNaija:
LMAO; D grin
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ugosample(m): 9:57am On Jun 20, 2018
MackyNaija:
LMAO; D grin
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 1:00am On Jun 30, 2018
Upper hand? tell us bro

MackyNaija:

Story, I have an upper hand here.
For now I might consider their offer.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Adhheir: 6:11pm On Jul 04, 2018
@mackynaija
Interesting thread, we hope to read from you soon
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Glocal1: 9:41pm On Jul 12, 2018
MackyNaija:
I copied the post below from another thread, it was addressed to me -

First and foremost, you must have some funds to embark on this journey.

I recommend schools in Texas because they are the cheapest I have seen; $3000 - $4000 per semester for school fees.

You need to be sure of the first 2 payments, living cost can be sorted Most times with an on-campus job.

I have previously explained how a scholarship here can last for 3 semesters which is Fall, Spring and Summer.

***The bigger the school, the better.
UofH would have cost me roughly the same thing in fees minus living cost (I don't have a personal experience relating to living cost anywhere else except Oklahoma, Chicago and Arizona from people I know living there as 'students').

A bigger school also 'guarantees' an on-campus job (nothing is sure in this life).
Graduate assitantship (GA, TA and RA) is also more certain (I know because I take a peek at UofH website once in 60days).
If your get an internship, you'll also get paid and your journey continues.

This is not a spiritual approach, it is a practical one.
Hello bro, please do you know anyone in Alcorn State University in Mississipi? Do you have any idea about living and transport cost in Mississipi?
I'm surprised to see you cite schools with tuition fees as cheap as $3/4k. Mind sharing the names of the schools.
Thanks and God bless you.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:01am On Jul 13, 2018
Glocal1:
Hello bro, please do you know anyone in Alcorn State University in Mississipi? Do you have any idea about living and transport cost in Mississipi?
I'm surprised to see you cite schools with tuition fees as cheap as $3/4k. Mind sharing the names of the schools.
Thanks and God bless you.
No Sir, I do not know anyone in the aforementioned schools.

In-state tuition cost for schools in Texas is around $5k per semester.

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (109) (Reply)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.