Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,887 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:46 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (386698 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 8:00am On Jan 23, 2020
intrinsicniyi:

Hi,

I'm a newbie at University of Virginia, Charlottesville for PhD in Engineering - starting class on January, 13th 2020. Please link up, I'm in the USA already & I'll like to connect. niyiabodunrin(@).g.m.a.i.l.c.o.m is the address.

grin
This na Top school you dey attend ooo... Congrats Bro

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 8:04am On Jan 23, 2020
MackyNaija:

Nope, I came to a personal conclusion that people with some work experience do not need it.

Also, people in Civil Engineering need it more due to their progression to become PEs.
Oh, I was thinking Professional Engineering(PE)will add something to the salary grin grin.
With your experience on ground now, which will you say would have been better Mechanical Engineering or Industrial especially in terms of Ego(cash) cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by intrinsicniyi(m): 1:22pm On Jan 23, 2020
Paccus:

This na Top school you dey attend ooo... Congrats Bro

Thanks Bro.
They wantu kill me Oooo.
Here hard die. ��

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 4:59pm On Jan 23, 2020
intrinsicniyi:

Thanks Bro.
They wantu kill me Oooo.
Here hard die. ��
wink wink na top 5 public school oo for USA... na ona type wey Dey study Engineering but end up for Wall Street grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by intrinsicniyi(m): 11:41pm On Jan 23, 2020
Paccus:

wink wink na top 5 public school oo for USA... na ona type wey Dey study Engineering but end up for Wall Street grin grin

grin grin grin cheesy grin

List of things I dread right now:
a. Matter
b. Atom
c. 1D, 2D, 3D coordinates &
d. Graphs.
d. The phrase "Let Assume x is small/infinitesimal or anything related to assumption blah blah blah in mathematics".

You see all this aforementioned stuffs, they're my problems & they keep bombarding me with em . Lass-Lass, man go keep putting mad effort - I gotta survive. Apologies for my rants but damn, the Engineering wey I dey do here too madt. #coursework na die.

@Mackynaija any advice??

Wall Street, that would be a great place to earn some bucks. cheesy

Thanks Bro and wishing you well in all your pursuits as well. Are you in the USA too?

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by brashear: 5:05pm On Jan 24, 2020
intrinsicniyi:

a. Matter
b. Atom
d. Graphs.
d. The phrase "Let Assume x is small/infinitesimal or anything related to assumption blah blah blah in mathematics".

You see all this aforementioned stuffs, they're my problems & they keep bombarding me with em . Lass-Lass, man go keep putting mad effort - I gotta survive. Apologies for my rants but damn, the Engineering wey I dey do here too madt. #coursework na die.

@Mackynaija any advice??

Thanks Bro and wishing you well in all your pursuits as well. Are you in the USA too?

cheesy ; cheesy.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Bossman(m): 7:40pm On Jan 24, 2020
Welcome to the US. That's the way it is here o. You will "really" learn and that knowledge will be tested all the way. Especially at a school such as Univ of Virginia. It will turn out well in the end though. Since you will be bombarded with job offers. Same thing I went through when I was studying Computer Science back in the days. It's been a great investment though.

intrinsicniyi:

the Engineering wey I dey do here too madt. #coursework na die.

@Mackynaija any advice??

14 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:12pm On Jan 24, 2020
Paccus:

Oh, I was thinking Professional Engineering(PE)will add something to the salary grin grin.
With your experience on ground now, which will you say would have been better Mechanical Engineering or Industrial especially in terms of Ego(cash) cheesy cheesy
As person wey no wan suffer too much for school, I avlided Mechanical.

Industrial is versatile too and career options are numerous.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:15pm On Jan 24, 2020
intrinsicniyi:

a. Matter
b. Atom
d. Graphs.

@Macky any advice??

The summary of the matter is that you will survive. smiley

As far as you fit get admission to study in that school, you no be eati.
Just attend all classes, do all assignments and prepare for tests n exams and you will be amazed.

Don't allow jonsing to colonize you, be strong, serious and you'll do big things. wink

Always keep your eyes on the prize - whatever your prize is...
For some it's money, for me it is peace of mind and sanity.

14 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Predstan: 12:19am On Jan 25, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by intrinsicniyi(m): 2:05am On Jan 25, 2020
Bossman:
Welcome to the US. That's the way it is here o. You will "really" learn and that knowledge will be tested all the way. Especially at a school such as Univ of Virginia. It will turn out well in the end though. Since you will be bombarded with job offers. Same thing I went through when I was studying Computer Science back in the days. It's been a great investment though.

Thanks a lot Bossman. I really appreciate your words of encouragement and I'll definitely keep putting the effort.

Stay winning and Be good Bro!

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by intrinsicniyi(m): 2:11am On Jan 25, 2020
MackyNaija:

The summary of the matter is that you will survive. smiley

As far as you fit get admission to study in that school, you no be eati.
Just attend all classes, do all assignments and prepare for tests n exams and you will be amazed.

Don't allow jonsing to colonize you, be strong, serious and you'll do big things. wink

Always keep your eyes on the prize - whatever your prize is...
For some it's money, for me it is peace of mind and sanity.

MackyNaija, grin cheesy. I hail thee.

I dey try small_small as per make we dey "flip pages of book" grin.

#Thanks for the advice too, I won't slow down on any of that.
# Yes ooOoO @eyes on the price. Good life and Peace of mind is ultimate goal Bro.

May we all keep winning in all our pursuits, Amen!

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Olumighty123(m): 12:50pm On Jan 25, 2020
I swear, I can't help but weep for my country Nigeria, I have been following your thread silently, I'm glad you made it through the storm, keep flying high bro/sir
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jan 25, 2020
Olumighty123:
I swear, I can't help but weep for my country Nigeria, I have been following your thread silently, I'm glad you made it through the storm, keep flying high bro/sir

True talk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by lordally(m): 8:50am On Feb 03, 2020
kroger:

Boss it's been a while, I heard canada is a bit easy to travel to with the right connect. Chat me up let me give u one control.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by NiklauseFred(m): 3:56pm On Feb 03, 2020
People Wey dey 'Amelica' how e dey be for there na,Dem don ban us oo....oga Trump say make we remain for our country oo embarassed embarassed

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:15pm On Mar 23, 2020
For those wondering... I am still alive and going to work daily though there is a lockdown in the Bay Area. cheesy
People like me no deh hear word... Road still busy like say na normal days. grin

I'll find time to talk about Reclassification of resident status
Duration from Filing to Removal of condition - someone called to ask me
And
Student Loan refinancing - currently ongoing

I'll try to return to post information that will help someone's life, I no too get time for My series of previous jonsing posts. kiss

21 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by calculator123(m): 8:25pm On Mar 23, 2020
intrinsicniyi:

Thanks Bro.
They wantu kill me Oooo.
Here hard die. ��

Hello, can I send a PM?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by intrinsicniyi(m): 9:55pm On Mar 23, 2020
calculator123:

Hello, can I send a PM?

Hi,

I sent you a mail. cheesy
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by calculator123(m): 4:32am On Mar 24, 2020
intrinsicniyi:

Hi,

I sent you a mail. cheesy
Thanks boss.
Replied.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Sparrow0: 5:28am On Mar 24, 2020
MackyNaija:
For those wondering... I am still alive and going to work daily though there is a lockdown in the Bay Area. cheesy
People like me no deh hear word... Road still busy like say na normal days. grin

And

I'll try to return to post information that will help someone's life, I no too get time for My series of previous jonsing posts. kiss
Wow nice one boss
Be safe out there
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by suxes2005(m): 6:42pm On Mar 27, 2020
MackyNaija:

And

We will be waiting

#StaySafe
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:37pm On Mar 29, 2020
Reclassification of resident status

For most international students, our tuition classification is as a 'non-resident'.

Most schools (I did check websites of different schools) allow you to Reclassify your resident status and your tuition becomes the in-state value - this process is called a 'Reclassification of Resident Status' for tuition purposes (e no get any other gain wey the reclass get).

Requirement - One major requirement is being married to a USC for a full year (I might be wrong OR the interpretation from your school might be different).
Either way, read about it to learn more.

Bad news - Based on the requirement of having been married for a whole year.... It is difficult to achieve that while still enrolled as a Master's student. That is: Before the soup done, you fit done graduate.

It might be easier to activate and be reclassified as an undergrad since their tenure in school is longer.

Finally - A friend of mine doing an MSc was able to enjoy the benefits as he got married early when he arrived the US and his program extended beyond regular time. Instate tuition payment is sweet. smiley

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:45pm On Mar 29, 2020
Duration from Filing to Removal of condition

Most people think once they are married, that's where the process ends.
Nope, it goes wayyyy beyond that.

A rough timeline from experiences of myself and friends.

From Meeting, Dating to getting Married: 6 months
From Married, Filing to Receipt of GC: 6 - 12months or more (duration is location dependent). We'll use 9months
From Receipt of 2year 'conditional' GC to being Eligible to apply for 'Removal of conditions': 1year, 9months
From applying for Removal of conditions to Receipt of 10year 'permanent' GC: 10+ months. Let's use 12months

When you don pass all these process, Receipt of 2year GC to Receipt of 10 year GC, 3 years and 6 months don pass.
So for those with ulterior motives, either the 'marryer' or 'marryee' planning to use and dump - yes, some people have criminal reasons for doing things - be prepared to be in this for 5 years.
If you marry devil because of paper, na inside this space naim your eyes go clear (pidgin). The effects of your decisions will be made evident (English).

In summary, open your eyes and use your head well. As I suggest, marry who get common sense and get work, no be do or die matter (some people have no respect for money, most people that work know how hard it is to earn a dollar).

If you read thru Bl0wj0b's and Frankn3tt3r's thread, you'll see recommendations on the types of people to avoid when considering marriage. I don't know the scientific backing behind the recommendations there.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:43pm On Mar 29, 2020
Student Loan Refinancing

Currently in the process of doing this. My current interest rate is around 12-ish%, 10 year term.
Current credit score during period of application was 720 +-20 points. It had an effect on the rates I received.

Applied with my bank, W3llsFarg0 online portal, was rejected in about 10 seconds.
Two days later, a banker mailed me to go apply for a personal loan. Na refinancing I want - jonsing bank.

S0fi gave me around a 6.5% rate, 7 year term. Don't bother, e too high. Better than my 12-ish rate? Current national interest rates are close to zero, I need something better.

Earn3st gave me around a 5.5% rate, 7 year term. I accepted, submitted all the loads of paperwork, got denied because my GC has a future expiration date - they told me in the denial email.
I no deh in the mood for trouble, but I know from the employment angle, it is illegal to deny one a job based on a future expiration date of an eligibility document.

Currently in the process with L3ndK3y, around a 5% rate, 7 year term, down to 4.75% with autopay set up. Everything has been straight so far, waiting for the final decision from them.
For this, I had to open an account with the credit union that will fund the refinance. I hate opening multiple accounts all over the place.

I didn't try out Cr3dible online or physical Credit Unions around me - cov1d one-nine no allow me.

The wahala too much, since I wont be owing the money beyond June 2021, I care less if I am approved or not.
Try your luck and you might be approved for a 3-ish% rate.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tony5(m): 6:49pm On May 15, 2020
kroger:

Very foolish mentality.. If you show me the way to get a job it doesnt decrease your income, you only helped a brother out of which u will be rewarded. Personally I know how many people I have helped to get jobs, when I see them doing well it gives me such joy knowing I helped a soul. Honestly we got some good brains out here but selfishness is the order of the day.
Please Sir, If The Opportunity Is Still Open, I'm Interested In The Training
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by hybeenoni: 1:34am On May 16, 2020
Oya Okada drop me here!
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Olumighty123(m): 9:28pm On May 30, 2020
Glad you're okay, Keep us updated, I don miss your gist ahswear. Stay safe out there

MackyNaija:

And

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Richdee1(m): 10:12pm On Jul 01, 2020
CaptEColeJnr:
Mark my words.. "It will be my turn soon"

How far??
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Richdee1(m): 11:24pm On Jul 01, 2020
braindee:

LOL.
Bros, what do you think are the prospects for MSC Social Work?
I have BSc in Biochemistry
Did u still go for the MSC? in social work??

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (109) (Reply)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.