Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,402 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (81) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389094 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by yemiosinbajo: 7:02am On Nov 28, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 28, 2020
yemiosinbajo:

This question shows that you haven't done any research at all about studying in the US. Mackynaija is very patient, otherwise, there are lots of people who wouldn't have answered you at all. Please, try and do some preliminary research on your own using Google before coming to ask questions. No offense.
YO, you might be right, but no one knows it all and we keep learning everyday. As for me, I know to a larger extent about schooling abroad because I research alot. I know about the different exams, that been said, but tbh, through mackynaija's answer to the guy's question, I have learnt something new. I never knew as someone coming from an English speaking country(Nigeria) if you didn't write TOEFL some schools in the states on resumption will insist you take on an English course which will be very costly and enlongate your masters. You see?
MackyNaija, thanks for this eye-opening, keep up the good work and more greater heights. Alot of us do appreciate the free information you share here, it is worth more than millions and helps one make an informed decision. Garcia's

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 9:28am On Nov 28, 2020
yemiosinbajo:

This question shows that you haven't done any research at all about studying in the US. Mackynaija is very patient, otherwise, there are lots of people who wouldn't have answered you at all. Please, try and do some preliminary research on your own using Google before coming to ask questions. No offense.
Exactly bro, To prepare for immigration you have to read a lot, most people don’t want to read that’s why they find themselves in big problems when they reach America..please gather a lot of information, then consider your options, plan for 5 years ahead not just for the next 3 months
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Tunmise100(m): 11:38pm On Dec 01, 2020
Thank God for that visa interview thread. It saved me a lot of stress and helped me prepare for my visa interview in 2018.

@MackyNaija, I must confess that your thread is so insightful and your answers to questions are profound and enlightening.

MackyNaija:
There is a USA student visa thread, that's where I got a bulk of the info I needed in 2016.
It's currently in part 15, I was a member of part 10&11 I think.

There's also a GRE thread.

Both are filled with all you need to know, available at no cost to you.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:29am On Dec 06, 2020

In 2014 when I first had the thoughts of an American Masters, my preliminary research showed me an annual tuition of approximately $25,000...
How did that turn out?
I abandoned the idea! My annual earnings wouldn't have adequately funded my pursuit.

Years later, learning thru nairalanders of scholarships, tuition waivers, on campus employment, research assitantship, student loans and several available options made me go along with my plans.

The reason I give pointers is because our own research might not show the several possible ways thru which our dreams can be achieved and most people would jettison the idea.

Keep the questions coming, there are numerous people available here to enlighten us; a seemingly stupid question might be what is holding someone back from embarking on this journey.
I clearly remember someone I drove down to give GRE materials shortly before I left PH even when it was unclear if he'd push thru with the plans. Today he is currently in the United States making progress.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:34am On Dec 06, 2020
Tunmise100:
Thank God for that visa interview thread. It saved me a lot of stress and helped me prepare for my visa interview in 2018.

@M4ckyN4ija, I must confess that your thread is so insightful and your answers to questions are profound and enlightening.

I made several mistakes when I came to the US and I am still trying to recover from them e.g having to take out so much in student loans.

With right insights from those that had come before me, I wouldn't have missed out on internships that give money and job experiences.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:38am On Dec 06, 2020
I go my guy wedding for Vegas...

Picture below is an INDOOR beach. The place nice wella. smiley

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:37am On Dec 07, 2020
I remember about 15 years ago when I went to Sheraton hotel in Lagos, it had the most beautiful lounge I had seen in a hotel... When I went to Vegas, my mind was blown!
My wife n I decided to have a 5-star experience through the wedding weekend, the money spent was worth it.

The gold theme was lovely. kiss Everywhere for Delano na gold o.

Points in yellow -
Raider's stadium
Delano
Luxor
Mandalay Bay

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:42am On Dec 07, 2020
Looking outta the room window - we were upgraded to a top floor with good views.

Could see Mandalay Bay to our right and Luxor to our Left.

13 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:50am On Dec 07, 2020
Hotels are still being hammered by the pandemic, current prices this December are about 30% what we paid.

Booking during the weekday this period is cheaper than staying in a regular 2 or 3 star motel in Houston in a non-pandemic setting.

Pictures do not fully capture why these places are rated 5-star. The bathroom has a t.v by the left of the large mirror... It's best experienced in person. smiley kiss

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Bossman(m): 2:59am On Dec 07, 2020
Nice one brother. Enjoy while you can. Visited Vegas for the first time last October, after donkey years in this country. We stayed at the Bellagio. Very nice experience indeed.

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Tunmise100(m): 6:16am On Dec 07, 2020
Great experience @MackyNaija.

MackyNaija:
Looking outta the room window, we were upgraded to a top floor with good views.

Could see Mandalay Bay to our right and Luxor to our Left.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:25am On Dec 07, 2020
Bossman:
Nice one brother. Enjoy while you can. Visited Vegas for the first time last October, after donkey years in this country. We stayed at the Bellagio. Very nice experience indeed.
The Bellag1o is a nice hotel!
The experience was like crazy... Las Vegas is a different world entirely. Drove around early Saturday morning when going for breakfast and I can't describe what my eyes saw. We'll definitely do a repeat trip.

Post pandemic, I'll do Times Square after it recovers.

Tunmise100:
Great experience @MackyNaija.
Thanks, I like sanity + peace of mind and the US gives me that 100%.

14 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Tunmise100(m): 9:43pm On Dec 07, 2020
You are perfectly right. The sanity and peace of mind is second to none. That’s why I don’t read or follow any news from Nigeria as I used to especially after the #EndSars massacre. I kinda gave up on the country.

MackyNaija:

Thanks, I like sanity + peace of mind and the US gives me that 100%.

9 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by TheGrandChemist(m): 3:12am On Dec 15, 2020
MackyNaija:
I remember about 15 years ago when I went to Sheraton hotel in Lagos, it had the most beautiful lounge I had seen in a hotel... When I went to Vegas, my mind was blown!
My wife n I decided to have a 5-star experience through the wedding weekend, the money spent was worth it.

The gold theme was lovely. kiss Everywhere for Delano na gold o.

Points in yellow -
Raider's stadium
Delano
Luxor
Mandalay Bay

The Mandalay Bay reminds me of the 2017 shooter.
We're still working on our PhD here. When I am done, I hope to fully experience the American dream like you're doing now.
Enjoy, bro! It's your time.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by schopps: 4:23pm On Dec 15, 2020
Finally got to the last page !
This is nothing short of inspiring. Kudos to you baba for this thread of experience @MackyNaija.
More strength, More wins.

This has surely inspired the rest of us too. #TillWeAllWin
cool
#TAMEverywhere

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Overgrownbaby: 8:57pm On Dec 15, 2020
Any Naija connect here in New Jersey ,

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Sadiq1097(m): 8:48am On Dec 18, 2020
Finally got to the last page. Kudos to Macky_naija you're doing a good job and this your thread has rekindled the fire in me again.
I have a question to ask, am currently a student in level 2 studying agricultural engineering and am having second thoughts about it. Am thinking of switching back to computer science or any other IT related course because I have a good background in computer. And I think age is on my side as I am only 19 years

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:22pm On Dec 18, 2020
Sadiq1097:
Finally got to the last page. Kudos to Macky_naija you're doing a good job and this your thread has rekindled the fire in me again.
I have a question to ask, am currently a student in level 2 studying agricultural engineering and am having second thoughts about it. Am thinking of switching back to computer science or any other IT related course because I have a good background in computer. And I think age is on my side as I am only 19 years
First forget about age, it is simply a number.
The older you are coming to the US, the more work and life experiences you would have that can be sold to potential employers.

Forget "ANY IT related course". IT Helpdesk is also related to info tech but what will that fetch you in the US?

Now to the main item on ground which is getting a permanent stay in the US, Programming and Nursing are the topmost on MY list of paths to residency.
Medical school is stressful, long and expensive. Pharmacy is similar. That's why I mentioned Nursing.

The next most juicy paths are Engineering and Agriculture (from what I have seen and heard).
These paths can require as much as a PhD.

This is a quick summary, The final decision is yours to make.

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Avangard(m): 8:01am On Dec 19, 2020
Dear Macky,

I have been a silent follower of this page and I must appreciate how invaluable your information had been in this travel sojourn.

My F1 visa to Tennessee(APSU) was recently approved ,I'm highly elated and give all glory to God.

Thanks Macky. Keep up the good work, so the burning desire won't be dead.

For everyone still on this journey, may it be smooth by His grace.

//Hearty cheers!

20 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by smartkester(m): 9:23pm On Dec 19, 2020
Avangard:
Dear Macky,

I have been a silent follower of this page and I must appreciate how invaluable your information had been in this travel sojourn.

My F1 visa to Tennessee(APSU) was recently approved ,I'm highly elated and give all glory to God.

//Hearty cheers!
please what's the F1 visa?
Is it for education, work or visit?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:07am On Dec 20, 2020
Sadiq1097:

I have a question to ask....
Justwise, I am guessing my reply to this was hidden.
Please help me unlock it, thanks.

Avangard:
Dear Macky,

//Hearty cheers!
Congratulations Avangard, you are on the right path! smiley

smartkester:
please what's the F1 visa?
Is it for education, work or visit?
It's a student visa.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by adrenaline02: 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2020
Mackynaija be inspiring boys on a daily. Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by smallfish(m): 7:25am On Dec 21, 2020
MackyNaija:

It's a student visa.
I must appreciate ur effort on this thread but is it advisable to have a working experience in Nigeria ,you know to enhance the c.v or will you advice straight up masters after uni .

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by justwise(m): 11:18am On Dec 21, 2020
MackyNaija:

It's a student visa.

Done
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by missionworld(m): 4:34am On Dec 22, 2020
I enjoyed reading your articles and I would like to bookmark your posts to my Travel guide.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 5:49am On Dec 22, 2020
Chai God bless you all. When I finally leave this he'll hole of a country, it would be my happiest day.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Predstan: 6:07am On Dec 22, 2020
Igbosmoker:
Chai God bless you all. When I finally leave this he'll hole of a country, it would be my happiest day.

Make yourself happy, Ghana is just few hours away

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 6:25am On Dec 22, 2020
Predstan:

Make yourself happy, Ghana is just few hours away
lmao. At least e better pass naija
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Predstan: 6:37am On Dec 22, 2020
Igbosmoker:
lmao. At least e better pass naija
yes since Igbo is legal there
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by prettytasha(f): 6:44am On Dec 22, 2020
Mackynaija ... Quick question .. is Architecture considered to be a STEM course in the USA ? I'm planning on doing my PhD in the USA .
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:17pm On Dec 24, 2020
justwise:

Done
Thank you plenty!

prettytasha:
Mackynaija ... Quick question .. is Architecture considered to be a STEM course in the USA ? I'm planning on doing my PhD in the USA .
I did a check online and it states recognizing Architecture as Stem was passed into law in July 2018.

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.