Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389088 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by REDBULL1(m): 4:23pm On Dec 31, 2020
Kahbahsah:

I stated it earlier. I applied for MasterCard scholarship. I passed some of the tests involved, after which I was sponsored to write the GRE and IELTS. You can google more on mastercard scholarship.

Bro, please don't be vexed, but I've practically scanned through the MasterCard foundation website and I can't find the page where I can do tests in order to get the paid-for GRE and IELTS. I've even gone from the MasterCard foundation scholars page to some school websites, I still can't find it.
Please if it won't be a bother, can you share the direct link to the page? I would be really helpful.

thank you.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Bossman(m): 6:03pm On Dec 31, 2020
That's good to know. Yes, skillset and the school the degree is received from can also make a big difference in opportunities and salary.

Misterdhee1:

Well according to data, Economics is one of the best fields to have a doctorate degree. A PhD Economics degree can get you any where - be it government, private firm or think-thanks. The opportunities are much, and also depend on your skillset.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Bossman(m): 6:06pm On Dec 31, 2020
I am not sure about how HND is viewed here. So, can't say if it's considered the same as a Bsc. degree. Nevertheless, you will probably need to take some additional remedial courses once you are admitted into a program.

jubianose:
Wow,, finally I completed this thread. I started reading this week, and today I have reached the last page.

Thank you @MackyNaija, indeed your stories and life experiences on this thread has inspired me alot. Keep on the good work.

Pls I have a question, (I know that basically almost all the issues relating to going to US for further studying and working there has been covered here), but my question is this-

I am graduate of Mass Comm in IMT, Enugu, though I have clocked pass 30yrs, but I have this dream of going outside the country probably USA, (or any other sane western country). Is it possible that I can be given admission to do Masters in International Relation or any similar Courses such as Sociology considering that I have HND result (second class upper) and also considering my age?

Secondly, around how much in Naira (in your estimation considering the dollar exchange rate now) will it cost me?

Pls I will really appreciate your reply. Thank You all
CC: to MackyNaija, Bossman, Krogor, Tunmuse100, TheGrandChemist, etc etc all the Bosses here that I no fit remember their names now..

Merry Christmas all.
But I wan leave Naija. I wanna start making that move NOW!!!

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Misterdhee1(m): 6:20pm On Dec 31, 2020
Bossman:
That's good to know. Yes, skillset and the school the degree is received from can also make a big difference in opportunities and salary.

True boss!
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Kahbahsah: 9:00pm On Dec 31, 2020
REDBULL1:

Bro, please don't be vexed, but I've practically scanned through the MasterCard foundation website and I can't find the page where I can do tests in order to get the paid-for GRE and IELTS. I've even gone from the MasterCard foundation scholars page to some school websites, I still can't find it.
Please if it won't be a bother, can you share the direct link to the page? I would be really helpful.

thank you.
I actually used google late last year, so I don't have the exact link. This year's award is over that's why you can't find it. It should be out again from around September next year.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Predstan: 5:23am On Jan 01, 2021
Bossman:
I am not sure about how HND is viewed here. So, can't say if it's considered the same as a Bsc. degree. Nevertheless, you will probably need to take some additional remedial courses once you are admitted into a program.

I hope this helps but HND is considered an equivalent of a bachelors degree after WES evaluation so yes you can apply into your school of choice. I’m in my second year Masters and might go into PhD with my HNd

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by smartkester(m): 1:21pm On Jan 01, 2021
MackyNaija:

No one can say what your exact chances are but your profile looks good.
Prior publications and/or experiences/skills will always aid your cause.
What you will need to survive here are the skills in the field you intend to break into.

In my field, I am currently working to take more certifications (ASQ Certified Quality Audit0r, Suppl1er Quality Engr and Ipc A-610 - Electronic Assemblies)
and
Add higher level Data An4lytics (Python + Sql) to my skill set to increase my viability as a 'Business Intelligence Engineer' so when Quality Engineering stagnates, WeMove!

2 years plan... Later people go say na juju I use grin, No na cacu and hustling. cheesy It doesn't happen overnight.
sir, I thought I saw Python and SqL on your CV you posted sometimes ago so why do you want to learn it again or is there something I'm getting wrong here.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by REDBULL1(m): 1:38pm On Jan 01, 2021
Kahbahsah:

I actually used google late last year, so I don't have the exact link. This year's award is over that's why you can't find it. It should be out again from around September next year.

Okay, thank you bro.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 4:22pm On Jan 01, 2021
MackyNaija:

Lemme keep this here... I have crafted a way to ensure my naija work experience did not and will not go to waste.
It has to be counted whenever I apply to jobs here. Will explain later - ElectroMech, Electricals and Electronics.
Macky, Happy new year oo, I say make I remind you this topic you say you go touch oo
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:33pm On Jan 01, 2021
smartkester:
sir, I thought I saw Python and SqL on your CV you posted sometimes ago so why do you want to learn it again or is there something I'm getting wrong here.
Higher Level...
Learning no deh finish and I might consider some form of certification.

Paccus:
Macky, Happy new year oo, I say make I remind you this topic you say you go touch oo
Happy New Year Paccus, I usually no deh wish anybody anything because even winch go wish people Happy this n that when na truly evil full their mind.

About that, I have worked in different companies but I always find a common denominator about all the roles and that's Data and Electronics.

This is highlighted in my resume and discussions with companies during interview. As I have realised this, I gear all my knowledge and training towards these lines and build on it.

In the current company I work for, my Director checked my naija companies website and highlighted Data and Electronics during our discussions stating I was a good fit tho it was the oil n gas industry.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by haywhy17(m): 8:30pm On Jan 01, 2021
Hello my people. I did animal production and health for my undergraduate. Currently doing my MSc in Animal production and management which I dont really like. I've always wanted to diversify after my bachelor degree. I really would love to do something else though not too far from animal science. Something like veterinary public health or epidemiology.

I would appreciate it if anyone could suggest schools that offer MSc veterinary public health/epidemiology.
I'm yet to sit for my GRE or any english exams... God's willing, I'm going to prepare for those exams early this year.

BSc cgpa = 3.58/5
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Kahbahsah: 10:39pm On Jan 01, 2021
haywhy17:
Hello my people. I did animal production and health for my undergraduate. Currently doing my MSc in Animal production and management which I dont really like. I've always wanted to diversify after my bachelor degree. I really would love to do something else though not too far from animal science. Something like veterinary public health or epidemiology.

I would appreciate it if anyone could suggest schools that offer MSc veterinary public health/epidemiology.
I'm yet to sit for my GRE or any english exams... God's willing, I'm going to prepare for those exams early this year.

BSc cpgpa = 3.58/5

This sir, is your job. I doubt if anyone can help you do that man.
You need to make google your friend and search out courses available in different schools.

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by haywhy17(m): 11:28pm On Jan 01, 2021
Kahbahsah:

This sir, is your job. I doubt if anyone can help you do that man.
You need to make google your friend and search out courses available in different schools.

Well, the post is majorly to know if the course I intend to find is in line because of the veterinary course that it is.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Kahbahsah: 2:13pm On Jan 02, 2021
haywhy17:

Well, the post is majorly to know if the course I intend to find is in line because of the veterinary course that it is.

Yes, it's in line. Almost any course you can conceive of is available. But you'll have to do some digging to get where exactly you can find it, and if your previous qualification meets the admission requirements.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by haywhy17(m): 2:52pm On Jan 02, 2021
Kahbahsah:

Yes, it's in line. Almost any course you can conceive of is available. But you'll have to do some digging to get where exactly you can find it, and if your previous qualification meets the admission requirements.

I've seen few schools offering this course though.

Thanks kahbahsah
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Sherlock5577: 8:54am On Jan 04, 2021
I've been a follower a few months before coming to the US for grad school. Great job everyone, especially MackyNaija.
This is a great opportunity to reduce the cost of applying to schools abroad.

6 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:38pm On Jan 04, 2021
Sherlock5577:
I've been a follower a few months before coming to the US for grad school. Great job everyone, especially MackyNaij4.
This is a great opportunity to reduce the cost of applying to schools abroad.
Thank you for this information. The individuals managing the organization are heavyweights.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Sherlock5577: 11:30pm On Jan 04, 2021
MackyNaija:

Thank you for this information. The individuals managing the organization are heavyweights.

I totally agree boss. They are really benevolent. I know how much of my naija savings I had to forego just to get here. But it's been worth it.
You sef dey contribute your own quota.

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by mrhighcliff: 7:35pm On Jan 05, 2021
I started this thread yesterday and finally caught up with it today. Couldn't believe I could be so glued and pinned down on a particular post for several hours. With this thread, Mackynaija has unfolded the mysteries of Diligence, Dedication and Determination vis-a-vis pursuing your dreams.

I'm currently undergoing my NYSC. I have HND in Mechanical Engineering. The objective is now to gather enough experience after my NYSC and embark on my voyage abroad. I too will write my success story. Thank you Mackynaija for the inspiration.

17 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:51pm On Jan 05, 2021
mrhighcliff:
I started this thread yesterday and finally caught up with it today. Couldn't believe I could be so glued and pinned down on a particular post for several hours. With this thread, Mackynaija has unfolded the mysteries of Diligence, Dedication and Determination vis-a-vis pursuing your dreams.

I'm currently undergoing my NYSC. I have HND in Mechanical Engineering. The objective is now to gather enough experience after my NYSC and embark on my voyage abroad. I too will write my success story. Thank you Mackynaija for the inspiration.
You can start now from familiarizing yourself with a school, program, entry requirements (WES evaluation, GRE and Toefl, statement of Purpose etc etc).

You can begin to tackle the issues over the coming years. Wish you the best!

10 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Sherlock5577: 4:23pm On Jan 08, 2021
Hi y'all,

Just a reminder of this great opportunity. Kinda a step into the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave grin
Please, share with others.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ddnazy: 10:39pm On Jan 11, 2021
Thank you MackyNaija for the amazing work you're doing here. I have read to the end and the information so far is eye opening.

Please I would like to find out from you and anyone else who might be in the know if a person that did a social science course e.g Accounting can apply for Msc in Applied Mathematics and statistics. Do i need to be in the science line to study it. I'm thinking if I can apply for that or just go for Economics. Kindly advise. Thanks.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:25am On Jan 12, 2021
Ddnazy:
Thank you MackyNaija for the amazing work you're doing here. I have read to the end and the information so far is eye opening.

Please I would like to find out from you and anyone else who might be in the know if a person that did a social science course e.g Accounting can apply for Msc in Applied Mathematics and statistics. Do i need to be in the science line to study it. I'm thinking if I can apply for that or just go for Economics. Kindly advise. Thanks.
Accounting is close to your intended field.

Have you tried applying directly for Maths or Stat?
Having job experiences or skills in this field will help your cause.

Schools actually look at your entire application before arriving at an admission decision.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Richdee1(m): 10:54am On Jan 12, 2021
EmojiQueenTV:
Guys please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you want to see clips of the US
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoxLjSEjHI

What's your content??
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by NoFap123: 7:42pm On Jan 15, 2021
Bossman:
While Phd is good, it's important to do it in the right field. If done in one of those fields that do not have a high demand, it will be tough to break in and actually get a very good job. Honestly, I do not feel Economics is one of those where it will be easy to get a "good" job after Phd. Unless you go to one of the top schools.

What about Statistics?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by pompeiimagnus: 8:53am On Jan 17, 2021
NoFap123:

What about Statistics?

Statistics is the foundation of data analytics, quality management and machine learning. E.g. Six Sigma and 5S are built on statistics. You can easily get internships and jobs by showcasing personal and/or school projects you've done with this knowledge and skills.

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by chibiokoye: 10:55pm On Feb 02, 2021
Kahbahsah:

please do they give undergraduate scholarships?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Futuragetty: 10:18am On Feb 06, 2021
[.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Futuragetty: 1:48am On Feb 07, 2021
MackyNaija:

Thanks Sir. House sef no be big issue - for a 'modest' $250k house cheesy in Texas, a partial downpayment of 10% can be easily saved from scratch in 24months...
To say I end up for Texas during this job search, the Camry money for go for downpayment.

Stick to computer science, the options are very numerous and it includes Data Science.
More options are Analytics, SWE, AI, ML, VR, Developer (SQL, Web, Frontend, Backend, Fullstack, all forms) and numerous other iterations.

I hope I have been able to convince and not confuse you that the bigger umbrella of CSci is better.

The two years you spend in the program is an investment that begins to bear fruits immediately. From my last interaction with friends, OPT and H1B still sells.

OG macky, I have good news, Congratulate me fess! do you know any private student loan institution that doesn't require a co-signor?
I need just $5k grin

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:03am On Feb 07, 2021
Futuragetty:

OG macky, I have good news, Congratulate me fess! do you know any private student loan institution that doesn't require a co-signor?
I need just $5k grin
Good news I never see o but Congratulations all the same! I can smell it. cheesy

After you have been enrolled for upto a year, you can try mp0wer financing and Pr0digy finance.
They use your past experiences, academic records and future prospects to guage your viability as someone that can survive in the US.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.