Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,984 members, 7,803,269 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (388779 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Zendmann1: 4:01am On Apr 02, 2021
DAramis:
To the thread owner, thank you for the wealth of information which you have shared so far. Just like other threads in Travel section, I have gain one or two useful information. Please my question is this:

Apart from Networking that seems relatively easy to learn (but difficult to enter), which other field of IT that might pay modestly and easy to learn? If possible, non programming (heavily) based IT course.

I already tried learning programming (self study) but it is not easy. As for data science, I am going to brush up my knowledge on excel first before anything else but kept it in view.

Any other IT knowledgable person can still answer my question.

CC
MackNaija
Zendmann1
TEODIN

Most guys I have met in IT field usually start with Desktop support>>>Systems Admin >>> then move to either Devops, Network engr, security etc... so if you are looking for easy, then start with Desktop support.. here in the U. S is usually around 45k per year(depend on location)... but at the rate they are automating stuff now .. they will soon automate desktop support out of existence grin .
To qualify for desktop support role.. just start with how to press computer keyboard, then learn Microsoft, active directory so you can reset user password and unlock account lol grin ...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Zendmann1: 4:24am On Apr 02, 2021
Boye33:

Hello
I am a recent graduate of electrical engineering. I am currently interning with an ISP company in Nigeria.
I seem to be enjoying the work after months of dabbling into so many things (Data Analysis, Machine learning ) because I don't know which one would open the door.
I am currently preparing (taking tutorial videos) to take the ccna certification so I'll have more qualifications but I don't seem to know where to go from there.
Rather than work on the front end of networking, connecting routers and switches, I would like to develop myself on the backend, like configuration and so on.
How can I go about this, what certifications and areas do I need to work on for these?
thanks.

Technically nothing like front end or backend .. just depends on the role. For entry level you have to start with what I call "plug and play" .. that is the switch and router have been configured by the oga at the top all you need to do is just to go to the data center and plug the cables in to add the device to the network.

As you continue to grow in the field you join the oga at the top and start designing, planning and configuring those network devices. It is a good thing you are preparing for CCNA, that will really accelerate you to the top. While working on CCNA don't forget to learn automating tools like ansible, python etc. in reality no one actually configures on router command line anymore.. everything is now automated especially in large data center build.

So start with CCNA but don't be a "certification grabber" make sure you learn and become an expert in CCNA topics before going to the next level like CCNP... I have seen NIgerians here who think they can just use dumps and pass and expect a big job.. most end up disappointed because ohibo no send your certificate and you end up exposing yourself because by the time they ask you mid-level question which a CCNA holder should know and you fumble with your CCNP on your resume.. na so so you will hear from us you go dey hear.

if you need assistance and images with setting up EVE-NG, GNS3 or CISCO VIRL.. let me know .. I have almost 50gig of different images, na naija internet go determine if you fit use am. Cheers

11 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by DAramis: 4:27am On Apr 02, 2021
Zendmann1:

Most guys I have met in IT field usually start with Desktop support>>>Systems Admin >>> then move to either Devops, Network engr, security etc... so if you are looking for easy, then start with Desktop support.. here in the U. S is usually around 45k per year(depend on location)... but at the rate they are automating stuff now .. they will soon automate desktop support out of existence grin .
To qualify for desktop support role.. just start with how to press computer keyboard, then learn Microsoft, active directory so you can reset user password and unlock account lol grin ...

Thanks, though I am not in the 'States' but the advise is still valuable.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Boye33: 9:54am On Apr 04, 2021
Zendmann1:

Technically nothing like front end or backend .. just depends on the role. For entry level you have to start with what I call "plug and play" .. that is the switch and router have been configured by the oga at the top all you need to do is just to go to the data center and plug the cables in to add the device to the network.

As you continue to grow in the field you join the oga at the top and start designing, planning and configuring those network devices. It is a good thing you are preparing for CCNA, that will really accelerate you to the top. While working on CCNA don't forget to learn automating tools like ansible, python etc. in reality no one actually configures on router command line anymore.. everything is now automated especially in large data center build.

So start with CCNA but don't be a "certification grabber" make sure you learn and become an expert in CCNA topics before going to the next level like CCNP... I have seen NIgerians here who think they can just use dumps and pass and expect a big job.. most end up disappointed because ohibo no send your certificate and you end up exposing yourself because by the time they ask you mid-level question which a CCNA holder should know and you fumble with your CCNP on your resume.. na so so you will hear from us you go dey hear.

if you need assistance and images with setting up EVE-NG, GNS3 or CISCO VIRL.. let me know .. I have almost 50gig of different images, na naija internet go determine if you fit use am. Cheers

Thank you so much for your simplification and clarification.

pardon me, I still have few questions

--This is the first time I am hearing of Ansible, how does it work and how and where can I learn it. I picked up python while working on data science, though I am only familiar with the data science related libraries.

- I'll definitely need your assistance, I have come across the GNS3 simulation software in my study, but haven't been able to practice on it. How can i get them sir?

- Apart from the networking industry, what branch of networking is in demand in other industries as well. I don't want to streamline my chances to only the networking industry.
What path can I follow to achieve this?

Thanks so much for your replies once again.

Happy Easter
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:00am On Apr 08, 2021
I am tired of working cry, abeg who fit borrow me mature 401k balance so I go retire?? grin

Been busy for the last two weeks creating the first new resume after starting my present role (attached a copy below for people who need samples for modification). Would say it is 85% done.
Already seen juicy jobs to apply for but need to remain calm and learn this one a little more. cheesy

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by stonemasonn: 6:57am On Apr 08, 2021
MackyNaija:
I am tired of working cry, abeg who fit borrow me mature 401k balance so I go retire?? grin

Been busy for the last two weeks creating the first new resume after starting my present role (attached a copy below for people who need samples for modification). Would say it is 85% done.
Already seen juicy jobs to apply for but need to remain calm and learn this one a little more. cheesy

Baba na to dey shift go into management oo, no time. Consider Lean Six Sigma Black Belt.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by smartkester(m): 9:12am On Apr 08, 2021
stonemasonn:

Baba na to dey shift go into management oo, no time. Consider Lean Six Sigma Black Belt.
Please, I have been wanting to ask this question, what's the criteria of getting lean six sigma black belt? and what are the merits of this certification
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:51pm On Apr 08, 2021
stonemasonn:

Me and smartkester get the same question!
I am confused about what would pass for the black belt project as I already have one ongoing. How "big" should it be?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by stonemasonn: 7:54pm On Apr 08, 2021
MackyNaija:

Me and smartkester get the same question!
I am confused about what would pass for the black belt project as I already have one ongoing. How "big" should it be?
check out Arizona state university, they have an online certificate if you can invest it'll look great in your cv along with your other certification and degree.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by stonemasonn: 8:07pm On Apr 08, 2021
smartkester:
Please, I have been wanting to ask this question, what's the criteria of getting lean six sigma black belt? and what are the merits of this certification
The op is a quality engineer and certified six sigma green belt.
Personally I'm looking at it from the age point of view ...I don't know how old Macky is but I feel he should accelerate his career towards engineering management.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:00pm On Apr 08, 2021
stonemasonn:
check out Arizona state university, they have an online certificate if you can invest it'll look great in your cv along with your other certification and degree.
I scanned through the program and will take an in-depth look at it. Thanks.
Was previously looking at the certification offered by the ASQ.

Will do some checks on Engineering Mgt too.
Too many things to learn... Keeping it streamlined is not easy.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by molybdenum0012: 6:39am On Apr 09, 2021
Hey guys, it is really inspiring reading through your work profiles here.
In less than 18 months I may be in the USA as a legal immigrant. I would love to prepare myself ahead.

Currently this is my qualifications in Nigeria. I have master of science in Radiation and Health Physics. I work part time with a Radiation consultant company as a Radiation Physicist.

I know it may be hard getting a job in that role over there in the US. So, it will be more or less starting afresh. Ofcourse, I am ready and willing to explore other field entirely be it IT or health or medical related so far it will pay off eventually.

Please I need your candid advice on what field to explore. Note I am willing to start all over again. And if I can build on what I have already, how do I go about it.?

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Zendmann1: 4:44am On Apr 19, 2021
Boye33:

Thank you so much for your simplification and clarification.

pardon me, I still have few questions

--This is the first time I am hearing of Ansible, how does it work and how and where can I learn it. I picked up python while working on data science, though I am only familiar with the data science related libraries.

- I'll definitely need your assistance, I have come across the GNS3 simulation software in my study, but haven't been able to practice on it. How can i get them sir?

- Apart from the networking industry, what branch of networking is in demand in other industries as well. I don't want to streamline my chances to only the networking industry.
What path can I follow to achieve this?

Thanks so much for your replies once again.

Happy Easter

Sorry ... being busy...

1. Ansible is built off from python. It is quite easy to learn as each device have their playbook which makes change management or configuration easy especially when you have multiple device to configure

2. Send me a mail .. I can forward you the links to the images.. I think I still have the google link.

3. Networking is huge.. SDWAN and cloud is kind of leading at the moment.

Meanwhile in other news... got a call from Facebook for an interview for Sr. network engineer position.... to cut the long story short after grueling 5 hour final stage interview ... the next email I saw was "we are sorry...." cry I was down for like 2 days.. I really needed that job.. but it is well. This America no easy at all .. I look forward to a day where I will be interviewed by a Nigerian. How can three Indians out four interviewers interview me .. I really don't think it's fair. This a debate and something needs to be done else to get work for all these big four companies person gat get brain like Albert Einstein. It is well.

This have always been my issue with these FAANG.. they spend a lot of time drilling you during interview and still send you rejection. Might not apply to any of them for now till I get my CCIE lol.

8 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Predstan: 5:45am On Apr 19, 2021
. .

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Zendmann1: 6:09am On Apr 19, 2021
Predstan:

I was interviewed at Intel last week. The first interviewer was a Chinese(the Project Manager) and asked a lot of questions from technical to behavioral questions. He complimented that I did well. 2 days after that interview, I was called for another interview with an Indian (the team lead). I was grilled for 3 hours. This time, the questions were more technical and he keeps pushing them out to me. Write a code to search a byte in a Buffer, write another to send and receive a socket information.

The stress of interviewing with these top companies is just so much. I’m waiting for my cool rejection email because that Indian guy was not satisfied with my overall performance but hopefully they will consider it’s just an internship.

Boss MackyNaija. How have you been?

Sometimes is just luck.. Pray they accept you for internship.. that will really be cool. It is difficult (but not impossible) getting into these big companies but when you get it .. you are a made man.

My first round interview went well that was why they called for a second and final interview. Everything was fine until the last Indian guy came (the first two were nice).. he started asking me network design critical questions like I was the one who invented routing protocols (for a position that only needs three years prior experience undecided ) , and I was already exhausted. Even the white guy that interviewed me on network automation specifically said I am the first candidate to actually answer all the automation questions in detail.

I see a lot of Nigerians on LinkedIn working as senior engineers and managers in these big companies.. I wonder if they do interviews abi dem dey hide angry

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Bossman(m): 7:59pm On Apr 19, 2021
Yes, o. Technical interviews are usually very rigorous and challenging. They usually want to make sure one can do the job. They usually put you at the board to solve at least a couple of problems. Almost every technical interview I have been to or done remotely, is usually conducted by someone from India, Russia, etc. Back in the days, I used to conduct the Phone Tech Screen for this consulting company I was working for. Anyway, I hope you do get an offer.

Predstan:

I was interviewed at Intel last week. The first interviewer was a Chinese(the Project Manager) and asked a lot of questions from technical to behavioral questions. He complimented that I did well. 2 days after that interview, I was called for another interview with an Indian (the team lead). I was grilled for 3 hours. This time, the questions were more technical and he keeps pushing them out to me. Write a code to search a byte in a Buffer, write another to send and receive a socket information.

The stress of interviewing with these top companies is just so much. I’m waiting for my cool rejection email because that Indian guy was not satisfied with my overall performance but hopefully they will consider it’s just an internship.

Boss MackyNaija. How have you been?

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by duran2059(m): 4:16am On Apr 23, 2021
Zendmann1:

Sorry ... being busy...

1. Ansible is built off from python. It is quite easy to learn as each device have their playbook which makes change management or configuration easy especially when you have multiple device to configure

2. Send me a mail .. I can forward you the links to the images.. I think I still have the google link.

3. Networking is huge.. SDWAN and cloud is kind of leading at the moment.

Meanwhile in other news... got a call from Facebook for an interview for Sr. network engineer position.... to cut the long story short after grueling 5 hour final stage interview ... the next email I saw was "we are sorry...." cry I was down for like 2 days.. I really needed that job.. but it is well. This America no easy at all .. I look forward to a day where I will be interviewed by a Nigerian. How can three Indians out four interviewers interview me .. I really don't think it's fair. This a debate and something needs to be done else to get work for all these big four companies person gat get brain like Albert Einstein. It is well.

This have always been my issue with these FAANG.. they spend a lot of time drilling you during interview and still send you rejection. Might not apply to any of them for now till I get my CCIE lol.

Hey bro how are you doing? Can I please PM you?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by TEODIN: 7:35am On Jun 08, 2021
SaintHilary:
By the grace of God, I shall leave this country...

By the grace of God, By the grace of God...

By the grace of God, I shall leave this country, By the grace of God I shall leave

>>If this country tire you pass me, Sing along
angry

Congrats bro
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Seniorwriter(m): 6:12pm On Jun 15, 2021
Joekole:

Hi, pls I need it too. I have sent u a PM. Tnx.

Just reach out via the facebook ID no need sending email requests.
BTW can you hint on the reason for trying to reach me.

Cheers
@Seniorwriter
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Electroweb(m): 12:04pm On Jun 17, 2021
@Mackynaija, @Zendman, @Predstan,@Bossman
I noticed on LinkedIn that these American companies prefer US citizens or persons with green card for employment. They don’t want to employ individuals that require work permit / authorisation. How were you guys able to navigate this challenge to get your first job?
Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Sonky: 8:29pm On Jun 27, 2021
Please sir
Can you explain more on this?

MackyNaija:
3. Student Loan.
Been looking at students loans for a while...

Prod1gy too like sure things not knowing that nothing in this life is sure. They only give loans to students in 'top schools'.
Unluckily for me, 3 schools I was admitted to but failed to attend are on their positive list.

St1lt gives to international students without co-signers. I jokingly applied last week for $6,000. 2 days after the confirmatory call, I got an offer for $1,500 - I could only be given a 'personal loan' and not the student loan I wanted. I need to put 4 references incase they cannot reach me.

MPow3r gives to international students without co-signers. I also jokingly applied last weekend after the St1lt confirmatory call, I applied for $12,000 since that of St1lt was looking promising and they allowed application for a full term (2 semesters).
I was given a conditional offer for the full sum - $12,000. I need to submit items like transcript, tuition invoice, Nigerian permanent home address etc etc and we progress from there.

Yet to accept any. I'll talk more about the terms and duration when I am chanced.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Sonky: 8:40pm On Jun 27, 2021
Please were you able to sort this out?
More informationplease

[quote author=LearnAndObey post=70540799][/quote]
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Zendmann1: 12:37am On Jul 06, 2021
Electroweb:
I noticed on LinkedIn that these American companies prefer US citizens or persons with green card for employment. They don’t want to employ individuals that require work permit / authorisation. How were you guys able to navigate this challenge to get your first job?
Thanks

Been a while... Yes you are right some companies need the greencard or blue passport before they employ you. I just feel it depends on the policy of the company and also some companies don't understand the immigration policy so they might not want to go through the stress. On the other hand, there are thousands of companies that will gladly employ you just with your OPT provided you scale through the interview. Infact majority of big companies employ without greencard or blue passport because they have immigration department that handles those process if needed.

For me... My wife is a US citizen and we met while we were in school(I was her teaching assistant) and got married before I graduated, she was able to help me get my greencard.. I guess I was lucky, it is usually not rosy like that ..

In summary.. provided you are in IT, you go always get something provided you know what you doing... also with special strategy.. you can get your greencard/blue passport easily.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Electroweb(m): 7:30am On Jul 06, 2021
Zendmann1:

Been a while... Yes you are right some companies need the greencard or blue passport before they employ you. I just feel it depends on the policy of the company and also some companies don't understand the immigration policy so they might not want to go through the stress. On the other hand, there are thousands of companies that will gladly employ you just with your OPT provided you scale through the interview. Infact majority of big companies employ without greencard or blue passport because they have immigration department that handles those process if needed.

For me... My wife is a US citizen and we met while we were in school(I was her teaching assistant) and got married before I graduated, she was able to help me get my greencard.. I guess I was lucky, it is usually not rosy like that ..

In summary.. provided you are in IT, you go always get something provided you know what you doing... also with special strategy.. you can get your greencard/blue passport easily.

Thanks for your insight and sharing your own route.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Bossman(m): 9:36am On Jul 06, 2021
Back then there was hardly anything like sponsoring or H1-B. So one needed to be authorized to work either through citizenship, green card, or work permit. I already had GC when I started my first job.

Electroweb:
Thanks
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Electroweb(m): 4:33pm On Jul 06, 2021
Bossman:
Back then there was hardly anything like sponsoring or H1-B. So one needed to be authorized to work either through citizenship, green card, or work permit. I already had GC when I started my first job.

Ok. Noted. Thanks
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by pompeiimagnus: 6:33pm On Jul 18, 2021
Electroweb:
Thanks

With your OPT you can work anywhere that doesn't require security clearance. However, it's a smart idea to look for companies that understand the immigration processes for H1B and employment-based greencards. The national interest waiver is another process you can research. Finally, the easiest path is to genuinely marry a U.S. citizen.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Electroweb(m): 9:24pm On Jul 18, 2021
pompeiimagnus:

With your OPT you can work anywhere that doesn't require security clearance. However, it's a smart idea to look for companies that understand the immigration processes for H1B and employment-based greencards. The national interest waiver is another process you can research. Finally, the easiest path is to genuinely marry a U.S. citizen.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:21am On Aug 08, 2021
Back for 5mins from my hiatus..

Unexpectedly received my 10 year gre3n card today. smiley Took 1/3 the time I thought it'd take.
Too little chance to 'celebrate' it as I am busy cooking something. wink

This Cali, we MUST comot! cheesy

And for the Fall 2021 batch of incoming students, may your journey be fruitful.
I recently completed 4years in the US and I have totally forgotten I ever schooled here. Life's too fast!

You'll be fine, just stay strong and always keep your morale high. Las las... All will be well. smiley

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Firefox01: 9:33am On Aug 08, 2021
MackyNaija:

Unexpectedly received my 10 year gre3n card today. smiley Took 1/3 the time I thought it'd take.

I recently completed 4years in the US and I have totally forgotten I ever schooled here. Life's too fast!

You'll be fine, just stay strong and always keep your morale high. Las las... All will be well. smiley
Congrats bro wink
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by uchman(m): 12:38pm On Aug 08, 2021
MackyNaija:

God bless you bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.