Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,940 members, 7,806,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time (21484 Views)

Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos / 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment / How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by dammy13(m): 11:22am On Jul 19, 2017
When you become a part of the private rented sector for the first time, there are a number of things you have to consider to ensure you are not cheated and that you’re in a secure and safe tenancy. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 6 things you as a first time renter should consider before renting an apartment.

Tenancy Contracts

Though they tend to be long, confusing and full of legal jargon, it is important to avoid the temptation of just skipping to the end and signing it without reading. A tenancy contract is a legally binding document that mandates your landlord to do certain things that you definitely should be aware of to avoid being taken by a rude surprise.

Upfront Costs

It’s easy for first-time renters to forget that aside monthly or yearly rent, there are also upfront costs of renting an apartment and you’ll almost always have to complete the payment of the costs before you can move into the apartment. You should prepare and plan ahead for these costs to avoid a rude shock in this area.

Long Term Costs

Aside monthly or yearly rent, there are other utility payments like electricity, water etc. that you have to consider. You need to be sure if certain utilities are covered by your rent and provided for or if you will have to either source for them or pay for them.

Take a Meter Reading Before Signing on the Dotted Line

Landlords are fond of passing on previous electricity bills to new and unsuspecting tenants. Ensure you are not a victim of this by taking a meter reading of the electricity meter when you come to inspect the house. You can also request to see evidence that electricity bills have been paid to date and there are no outstanding bills left for you to shoulder. Please ensure you do this to avoid being charged by PHCN for electricity previous tenants used.

Safety and Appearance of the Neighbourhood

Many first-time renters often get carried away with the excitement of renting their first apartment and forget to assess the safety of the neighbourhood their renting the apartment in. Please ensure you do not make this mistake. Landlords will hardly be truthful or sincere about the safety of the neighbourhood of their apartments, so you have to ask around and make necessary enquiries. You can talk to one or two people who live and work around the area to get information about what the area is really like.

Accessibility

Try to get an apartment that has an easy or relatively easy access to public transportation, provision stores, medical facilities or anything else you consider important to your living situation. This will help make life in the apartment easier for you.

http://fabinfos.com/things-consider-renting-apartment-first-time/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by JuniorReev: 11:32am On Jul 19, 2017
Noted.
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by tosyne2much(m): 12:40pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nice one

You forgot to add that there's need to make a little research about the attitudes of the landlord so that you will not live your life in frustration and obscurity in his house.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by vizkiz: 12:40pm On Jul 19, 2017
Ask people staying around to give you a Lil info about that residence.

This is very useful

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by holatin(m): 12:41pm On Jul 19, 2017
and if you are a bachelor like me.

Do findings about how many daughter your landlord or landlady have so you can impregnate one, one day and thereby you stop paying house rent.

dat is what I had in plan for kikelomo my landlord's daughter

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by ammyluv2002(f): 12:41pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nice info! Thanks
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by DrObum(m): 12:44pm On Jul 19, 2017
Good one. Also enquire about neighbours and their attitudes. Some neighbours are just too loud to live with, such humans ought to live on an island alone.

3 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by Franchise21(m): 12:46pm On Jul 19, 2017
On point
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by olatade(m): 12:47pm On Jul 19, 2017
watch out for natural disasters such as flooding

7 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by macaranta(m): 12:47pm On Jul 19, 2017
Cool
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by Hotshawarma(m): 12:48pm On Jul 19, 2017
vizkiz:
Ask people staying around to give you a Lil info about that residence.

This is very useful
true.....that was how I rented a house at around ajah thinking the power supply there is very good until I discovered that light at that place is bad....I was fooled when I came to check the house twice before renting it and on those two occasions there was light so I fell for it...

5 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by aieromon(m): 12:54pm On Jul 19, 2017
House hunt during the rainy season and ask artisans and small business owners for power supply and security in the area.
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by tosyne2much(m): 12:55pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hotshawarma:
true.....that was how I rented a house at around ajah thinking the power supply there is very good until I discovered that light at that place is bad....I was fooled when I came to check the house twice before renting it and on those two occasions there was light so I fell for it...
Similar thing happened to me bro. I saw a vacant apartment and quickly rented it at the speed of light without thorough enquires from people living around, unknown to me that that particular street had cable problems that has not been replaced for a few years. NEPA no come dey reason our matter again

You know that feeling when light dey other people street but your own street just dey stranded undecided

10 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by Hotshawarma(m): 12:59pm On Jul 19, 2017
tosyne2much:
Similar thing happened to me bro. I saw a vacant apartment and quickly rented it at the speed of light within thorough enquires from people living around, unknown to me that that particular street had cable problems that has not replaced for a few years

You know that feeling when there is electricity in other streets but your own street no get light undecided
na that one dey pain pass,e go com be like say at that period the light stable generally u go com dey look am dey vex say why ur own street no get light when light dey very stable grin

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 19, 2017
ok
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by tosyne2much(m): 1:07pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hotshawarma:
na that one dey pain pass,e go com be like say at that period the light stable generally u go com dey look am dey vex say why ur own street no get light when light dey very stable grin
I dey tell you baba cheesy

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by surckerg(m): 1:07pm On Jul 19, 2017
holatin:

Do findings about how many daughter your landlord or landlady have so you can impregnate one, one day and thereby you stop paying house rent.

Badt man things, No dulling!
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by yomalex(m): 1:12pm On Jul 19, 2017
Good tips
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by rane06(f): 1:18pm On Jul 19, 2017
Be sure you are at least 15 houses away from any church, mosque or bar. Thank me later

13 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by Candybob(m): 1:30pm On Jul 19, 2017
Very true
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by floraine: 1:31pm On Jul 19, 2017
Wish someone advised me before i rented... u learn everyday yea?
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by bizhop01: 1:44pm On Jul 19, 2017
holatin:

Speak out your plan
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by milky3(f): 1:46pm On Jul 19, 2017
when desperate you tends to skip all that

2 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by olowobaba10: 1:47pm On Jul 19, 2017
MOST OF SUCH ARE IN SUCH A HURRY AND FORGET TO RUN A BACKGROUND CHECK ON THOSE ISSUES .
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by ysyowel(m): 1:48pm On Jul 19, 2017
cool for more information ask Lia R. Mohammed
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by tomayira(f): 1:58pm On Jul 19, 2017
Good one OP, it's also important to find out if someone was buried in any room from neighbours because Na so I see one fine one bed room flat wen I like, I come ask how much? The lady say make I no live there o say Dem bury the owner there about five months ago a young man of about 35 years old because Na Dem tradition... If u see how I run, make God help person

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by bojankk: 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2017
nice
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by sinisters(m): 2:09pm On Jul 19, 2017
Meter reading VERY IMPORTANT
Especially in abuja!!!
In fact don't collect house with no prepaid meter.
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by remsonik(f): 2:14pm On Jul 19, 2017
I am searching for an apartment now and lagos agents are chasing me. I tire.
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 2:15pm On Jul 19, 2017
Please I intend to rent an apartment soon. It's my first time and the house I've found is still new. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of moderately furnishing a one-bedroom flat( a room and parlour). I'm in Owerri, Imo state

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Finishing Of Osun State Edifice By Rotech77 / Lekki Gardens Releases Statement On Collapse Building that killed 18 in Lagos / Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.