Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,224 members, 7,807,748 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Compulsory Voting: A Solution To IPOB Election Boycott Threat. My opinion - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Compulsory Voting: A Solution To IPOB Election Boycott Threat. My opinion (1941 Views)

IPOB Election Boycott Campaign In Anambra (Photos) / Anambra Election: Voters Defy IPOB Election Boycott Order, Vote / Police To IPOB: "Election Will Hold In Anambra, Misbehave & Get Arrested" (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Compulsory Voting: A Solution To IPOB Election Boycott Threat. My opinion by austinvsb1(m): 6:11pm On Jul 19, 2017
Blue3k:
Lol you're going to force people who don't care to make choice. This violates their freedom. Next this will just lead to new issues down line since ignorant masses can be swayes by secessionist when they form political party.

What happens in the evening this ia majority option? Define having a rerun election with the same guys over and over?

Voting is a civic responsibility. There is no infringement of freedom or rights here. Australians have been doing this for years. they have some of the highest election turnout in the world and accurate representation of the people's voice and no one's been talking about freedom infringement. There is an ongoing debate in the UK to make compulsory voting a thing.

when blank takes the most votes (highly unlikely) the second highest vote becomes the representation of the majority.
Re: Compulsory Voting: A Solution To IPOB Election Boycott Threat. My opinion by motherfucker: 6:14pm On Jul 19, 2017
austinvsb1:
What is compulsory voting?

As practiced in Australia, Belgium, Singapore,Switzerland, Brazil, just to mention a few, Compulsory voting refers to laws which require eligible citizens to register for and participate in democratic election of representatives to form governance of their country, State or local government. Effective compulsory voting imposes penalties on citizens or constituents who fail to cast a vote in an official election and actively pursues eligible citizens who fail to register as voters as required by law

I think a piece of legislation should be passed both at federal and state level that:

- Effective immediately, All Nigerian citizens between the age of 18 - 70 (except those of unsound mind or those convicted of serious crimes) must be registered to vote and show up at the poll on election day.

- Nigerians who do not show up are subject to several public services disfranchisement (e.g ineligible to secure government jobs, increased health care cost etc) and fines. (at least until the next election period)

- Although those who were ill or otherwise incapable of voting on election day can have this limitations and fines waived after providing sufficient proof.

- The act should not explicitly state that a choice must be made, it only states that the ballot paper be 'marked'. Thus if a voter feels like no candidate represents his views and policies, a NONE OF THE ABOVE OR BLANK
option should be included.

- A JUSTIFICATION FORM for not voting should be made available to be filled at election centers & post offices nationwide. This is for voters who have other tangible reasons for non-participation[/b]
[/color]

Measures to encourage voting should include:

1. Nigerian voters can vote in an embassy if they are abroad or can empower another voter to cast the vote in their name; the voter must give a "permission to vote" and carry a copy of the voters card and their own on the actual elections.

2. those who were ill on voting day are excused by requesting a doctor to prove their condition.

3. those over 500 km away from their voting place are also excused by asking for a certificate at a police station near where they are.

ADVANTAGES & ARGUMENTS FOR THIS includes

- Voting is a civic duty comparable to other duties citizens perform (e.g. taxation, compulsory education etc).

- The Government (especially Legislature) reflects more accurately the "will of the electorate."

- Governments must consider the total electorate in policy formulation and management.

- Candidates can concentrate their campaigning energies on issues rather than encouraging voters to attend the poll.

- The voter isn't actually compelled to vote for anyone because voting is by secret ballot and they can always vote 'blank' or 'none of the above'

cc: presidency
lalasticlala
seun
mynd44

Is it by force to Vote? You for kuku include killing them for not voting as a measure of curtailing the boycott. Anuofia.

1 Like

Re: Compulsory Voting: A Solution To IPOB Election Boycott Threat. My opinion by Blue3k(m): 6:15pm On Jul 19, 2017
austinvsb1:

Voting is a civic responsibility. There is no infringement of freedom or rights here. Australians have been doing this for years. they have some of the highest election turnout in the world and accurate representation of the people's voice and no one's been talking about freedom infringement. There is an ongoing debate in the UK to make compulsory voting a thing.

when blank takes the most votes (highly unlikely) the second highest vote becomes the representation of the majority.

OK Switzerland the most democratic country in world doesn't have forced elections. Allowing people their choice to sit out better. You don't owe it to country to vote. Bragging about high turnout when it required to vote is weak point.

OK then the none of the above option is pointless. They might as well stay home. Of you suggested something like start over nomination process maybe.

A better thing to focus on would be independent candidacy. Then maybe reduce requirements for parties to come run. UK had a dude in bucket run. France had a dude with part formed less that a year before run and win. Then Nigeria recycles dictators and corrupt professors.
Re: Compulsory Voting: A Solution To IPOB Election Boycott Threat. My opinion by Ejanla07: 6:29pm On Jul 19, 2017
dis my yoruba muslim ewedu brother has been constantly tormented by d Biafran idea....

sleepless nights

1 Like

Re: Compulsory Voting: A Solution To IPOB Election Boycott Threat. My opinion by dudebuck: 6:32pm On Jul 19, 2017
austinvsb1:

You want referendum in the constitution but don't want to vote in representatives that legally demand for the inclusion. Who are this people?
No, you people are the ones always mouthing hold your leaders accountable, how do we hold them accountable? By ranting online as you are doing? Abeg cry me an ocean!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soyinka Returning To Trump’s America — After Tearing Green Card.photo / BREAKING: Tinubu Is Dead / Breaking News : Gov Wike Has Been Islamized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.