Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday (15340 Views)

Chinese Health Workers Take Off Facemasks To Celebrate Fall In Coronavirus Cases / Man Donates Blood To Dying Neighbour’s Son In Port Harcourt / A Nairalander Voluntarily Donates Blood To Mark His Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 19, 2017
damesilver:
I want to commend the blood donor for his kind gesture. Medically, too, it is healthy too donate blood. It is unhealthy to have too much blood volume in the body. Whilst one renders a humane service once also gets back in a way of maintaining a healthy physical body.
Guy una don't come o.
It good to donate, when you have iron overload, but apart from that I don't see any health benefit in donating blood, because the lifespan of blood is 21 to 28 day after that dey will be destroy by the reticuloendothelia cell of the spleen and small blood vessel. On a normal condition there can never be a too much blood.
But it good to render humanitarian aid to the society.
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 19, 2017
grin shocked grin

I'd like to congratulate and wish the OP HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

By donating that unit of blood today, you have simply saved a life.

For all those crying foul about donated blood being sold to patients, you need to understand that no patient in any hospital across the world gets transfused with blood for free even if the patient is your father & you the son donated the blood.

YOU MUST PAY THE COST FOR SCREENING AND PROCESSING THE UNIT(S) OF BLOOD TO BE TRANSFUSED.

This in many General, Teaching hospitals & FMCs does not cost more than #3,000
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 19, 2017
beamtopola:

Guy una don't come o.
It good to donate, when you have iron overload, but apart from that I don't see any health benefit in donating blood, because the lifespan of blood is 21 to 28 day after that dey will be destroy by the reticuloendothelia cell of the spleen and small blood vessel. On a normal condition there can never be a too much blood.
But it good to render humanitarian aid to the society.

grin shocked grin.

Your commentary is totally wrong sir!

First, you don't donate blood because of iron overload. Iron overload itself is as a result of multiple blood transfusion in most cases.

Secondly, the lifespan of blood is not 21-28days. Red blood cells have a life span of 90-120days in vivo and donated blood in CPDA-1 blood bags stores at 2-8°C has a lifespan of 35days.

Now, before one is eligible to donate blood, he/she must undergo some screening test. Examples;
i. Blood grouping
ii. Packed cell volume (PCV) or haemoglobin concentration. This is to determine the volume of blood in circulation in your body. Most facilities prefer the use of PCV and for an adult male, it should not be <40%. For an adult female, it should not be <37%
iii. Blood pressure, pulse rate and weight is checked. Though many facilities skip this.
iv. Screening for TTIs ( HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and Syphillis)

Eligibility to donate blood is based on the outcome of the above screening tests.

Not everybody can donate blood. For instance, hypertensive folks can't donate, pregnant and nursing mothers can't donate, ladies on their menses or expecting it or just saw it cannot donate.
Folks with tattoos are often deferred from donating blood. Those with known health challenge are also deferred.

I believe what you are referring to as iron overload is actually called polycythaemia. A condition where there is too much blood in circulation. This is a pathologic situation and blood donated to remedy this condition is not suitable for transfusion. It is often discarded once donated.

DONATE BLOOD TODAY & SAVE A LIFE!

2 Likes

Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by enigmatic741: 9:48pm On Jul 19, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Wonderful. Good job. But you know what I keep asking, who are these donated piles of blood given to? Blood is sold to everyone in need of it and these are usually donated blood. So, who are we donating to? We donate freely to hospitals and they sell it to people in need. I don't understand.
Am telling you...They sell at high cost and make profit, that's why they probably received him very well...Just like dashing them free cash... Sometimes they even give donors a Take-away Cash...#ThisWorldIsUpsideDown
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by folhenrry4flizzy(m): 10:08pm On Jul 19, 2017
Happy Birthday bro, wishing long life and prosperity. Iluokhauno
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 19, 2017
Pls where can I donate blood in lekki axis? I have always wanted to donate but never knew where to?
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by idu1(m): 10:46pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nofuckgiven:

No. Why ask that? undecided
I want to know what you want to do with blood banking business or you Own a lab?
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 19, 2017
innosaint27:

grin shocked grin.

Your commentary is totally wrong sir!

First, you don't donate blood because of iron overload. Iron overload itself is as a result of multiple blood transfusion in most cases.

Secondly, the lifespan of blood is not 21-28days. Red blood cells have a life span of 90-120days in vivo and donated blood in CPDA-1 blood bags stores at 2-8°C has a lifespan of 35days.

Now, before one is eligible to donate blood, he/she must undergo some screening test. Examples;
i. Blood grouping
ii. Packed cell volume (PCV) or haemoglobin concentration. This is to determine the volume of blood in circulation in your body. Most facilities prefer the use of PCV and for an adult male, it should not be <40%. For an adult female, it should not be <37%
iii. Blood pressure, pulse rate and weight is checked. Though many facilities skip this.
iv. Screening for TTIs ( HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and Syphillis)

Eligibility to donate blood is based on the outcome of the above screening tests.

Not everybody can donate blood. For instance, hypertensive folks can't donate, pregnant and nursing mothers can't donate, ladies on their menses or expecting it or just saw it cannot donate.
Folks with tattoos are often deferred from donating blood. Those with known health challenge are also deferred.

I believe what you are referring to as iron overload is actually called polycythaemia. A condition where there is too much blood in circulation. This is a pathologic situation and blood donated to remedy this condition is not suitable for transfusion. It is often discarded once donated.

DONATE BLOOD TODAY & SAVE A LIFE!
Even though i m wrong abt lifespan and iron over. My question is base on your early statement that donating blood is healthy to the body. What makes you think donating blood is good for the health ,cause old and aging blood are being destroy and excrete through the liver .
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by xaggar(m): 10:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
Jehovah Forbids!
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 19, 2017
beamtopola:

Even though i m wrong abt lifespan and iron over. My question is base on your early statement that donating blood is healthy to the body. What makes you think donating blood is good for the health ,cause old and aging blood are being destroy and excrete through the liver .

grin shocked grin

First, the statement that blood donation is healthy for the body is not credited to me. However, the statement is true.

Blood donation is both beneficial to both recipients and donors.

A blood donor enjoys some of these benefits;
i. Reduction of cholesterol thereby reducing the risk of heart attack and heart disease.
ii. Reduces the risk of liver damage
iii. Prevention of hematochromatosis (Iron overload)
iv. Prevents premature aging

Pls understand that, blood donation is recommended on 4-5 times in a year. And you don't donate more than a pint of blood when donating.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 6:14am On Jul 20, 2017
innosaint27:

grin shocked grin

First, the statement that blood donation is healthy for the body is not credited to me. However, the statement is true.

i. Reduction of cholesterol thereby reducing the risk of heart attack and heart disease.

Pls understand that, blood donation is recommended on 4-5 times in a year. And you don't donate more than a pint of blood when donating.

You can just come online to list thing without throwing more light or explanation to your hypothesis.
Blood donation has noting to do with the all of the above mentioned
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 6:42am On Jul 20, 2017
innosaint27:

grin shocked grin

All what you mentioned there are all disease conditions. Mind you, hyperlipidaemia doesn't lead to phlebotomy, hyperlipidaemia such as Abnormal LDL cholesterol can be due to the absent or deficiency of any of the apolipoprotein or it receptor. And has no related effect to blood donation, this is a disease condition which can be manageable by therapy or restrictions of diet or dietary control.
The only case which you got write was the iron overload ( wrong to a very large extend) hematochromatosis also a disease condition which there is iron overload, that is individual stored excess iron in the blood, excess iron in the blood can make your blood think thereby impounding more pressure to the heart to pump blood. In this case phlebotomy is advisable.
The only thing I think can prevent aging, is antioxidants which prevent the generation of peroxyl free radical thereby preventing aging. Pls go and do more research.
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by luvlymabel: 8:55am On Jul 20, 2017
happy birthday bros celebrating my birthday in d same month with you.....
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 20, 2017
beamtopola:

All what you mentioned there are all disease conditions. Mind you, hyperlipidaemia doesn't lead to phlebotomy, hyperlipidaemia such as Abnormal LDL cholesterol can be due to the absent or deficiency of any of the apolipoprotein or it receptor. And has no related effect to blood donation, this is a disease condition which can be manageable by therapy or restrictions of diet or dietary control.
The only case which you got write was the iron overload ( wrong to a very large extend) hematochromatosis also a disease condition which there is iron overload, that is individual stored excess iron in the blood, excess iron in the blood can make your blood think thereby impounding more pressure to the heart to pump blood. In this case phlebotomy is advisable.
The only thing I think can prevent aging, is antioxidants which prevent the generation of peroxyl free radical thereby preventing aging. Pls go and do more research.

Did you read all this write up of yours or you took a dictation from someone?

All you have said is a proof that, you have no knowledge about the subject of discussion. You simply are trying to be what you are not.

Nothing you have written made sense. Reset your brain pls!
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 20, 2017
beamtopola:

You can just come online to list thing without throwing more light or explanation to your hypothesis.
Blood donation has noting to do with the all of the above mentioned

Since you think even in your state of ignorance that blood donation has nothing to do with the aforementioned benefits amongst others, don't bother about it.

Live your life as it pleases you. Blood donation is a voluntary act. The choice is yours!

Can't trade words with bats!
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 20, 2017
innosaint27:

Since you think even in your state of ignorance that blood donation has nothing to do with the aforementioned benefits amongst others, don't bother about it.

Live your life as it pleases you. Blood donation is a voluntary act. The choice is yours!

Can't trade words with bats!
Thanks for your bellicose replied.
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 20, 2017
innosaint27:

Did you read all this write up of yours or you took a dictation from someone?

All you have said is a proof that, you have no knowledge about the subject of discussion. You simply are trying to be what you are not.

Nothing you have written made sense. Reset your brain pls!
You are very stupid, unhinge with a stupid illusion. Uninformed I'd iot.
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by Olayemi244(m): 4:54am On Jul 21, 2017
That's the worst thing that could have happened if it's true, then why should I donate, it seems I have got to change my mind on donating blood
Sapiosexuality:
Wonderful. Good job. But you know what I keep asking, who are these donated piles of blood given to? Blood is sold to everyone in need of it and these are usually donated blood. So, who are we donating to? We donate freely to hospitals and they sell it to people in need. I don't understand.
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by mecussey(m): 2:59pm On Jul 21, 2017
MOSICATED5:
Good day Nlanders. Today 19th July is my birthday. I decided to voluntarily donate blood at the BMSH hospital in ph as a service to humanity. I was impressed at the manner at which the health care professionals I met attended to me. They were so happy to have me. They even gave me a Tshirt, malt milk and bottled water. I was attended to like a celeb, i was shocked. I doubt if people donate blood voluntarily very often. This is my best birthday ever. I urge us all to always donate blood. Its saves life. The happiest thing also was that my blood was screened and its free from HIV and Hepatitis (lol) .

I dey plan to donate but wifey say make i wait born finish first. I notice anytime blood commot from my body, I feel good. The problem now is fear of fainting, all these quak nurses fit mistakenly collect all the blood now, person go come collect fainting. However, i must do it, let it be my own contribution to Nigeria.
Re: Nairalander Donates Blood To Celebrate His Birthday by MOSICATED5(m): 2:35pm On Jul 29, 2017
mecussey:

I dey plan to donate but wifey say make i wait born finish first. I notice anytime blood commot from my body, I feel good. The problem now is fear of fainting, all these quak nurses fit mistakenly collect all the blood now, person go come collect fainting. However, i must do it, let it be my own contribution to Nigeria.
Hahaaa u are very funny. U don't need to be scared once the medical professionals certify u fit to donate u can go ahead. They will give u will and malt after donating which will prevent u from fainting.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shocking Photos: Meet The The Girl With 2 (two) Head / African NGO Drills Borehole For Community As It Commissions On Children's Day / Six Pack Care (rock Gym)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.