Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,485 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

A Letter To Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Letter To Biafra (589 Views)

A Letter To Peter Obi By Meshack Katuka, Kaduna Ex Corper Who Served In Anambra / Nnamdi Kanu:i Don't Want To Lose My Friends To Biafra! / Trump Reacts To Biafra Visit On Twitter PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Letter To Biafra by mdokaba1(m): 8:21pm On Jul 19, 2017
What Unites Us is Greater than What Divides Us.

Lifting from the historic lines of former American president John. F Kennedy but which Is well on its way to becoming a cliché and that is: “What unites us is greater than what divides us!” Late John F. Kennedy used it in his 1961 address to Canadian Parliament: “Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners. And necessity has made us allies. Those whom nature hath so joined together, let no man put asunder. What unites us is far better and greater than what divides us."

In the same Vein to my fellow countrymen From the east and particularly to the agitators of the Sovereign state of Biafra, Geography has made Us One , History has made Us One. Economics has made Us One . And necessity has made Use One. Thus; Those whom divine providence hath bought together let no Man put asunder. (Nnamdi Kanu please take note) Its high time we realized that Nigeria Is not a function of a British experimentation but rather a function of divine providence, the more reason It remains and will always remain an Indivisible entity.

I say Kedu to you all let me first of all State clearly and Unapologetically that I truly admire your tenacity and resilience in what seems to me like a Wasted and fruitless struggle of 40 Years plus, Alas! If the same Vigour and relentless strength were used In the Concept of one Nigeria, (albeit the lgbos are known for their business acumen and technological prowess and dexterity) at least we would have Moved farther towards the threshold of greatness as a nation because nothing brings stunted growth and retardedness to a nation like disunity and discord because It would always breed crises and endless Struggle on the Journey to greatness .

Dear Easterners let us not be so quick In forgetting the lessons of history, can we forget about what divides us and discover what Unites us? Can we not just promise our children a brighter tomorrow but a better day? can we forget about our differences that Makes us a laughing stock among the Committee of Nations and claim our rightful place in the Committee of nations as the Giant of Africa? Let us see ourselves, Yorubas, Hausas and other ethnic groups in this country as one indivisible Nigeria. Together we can fulfill our founding fathers’ dreams.

The Biafra movement emerged as a result of serious urgency. It came up to save the Easterners from the genocide developing in the North. That’s why when the late General Ojukwu moved the motion of Biafra to the Igbo elders, there was a unanimous approval. But today, throw up the issue of Biafra to the Igbo elites, and you are sure to get a different response. It means the people are divided on the Biafra issue, and it will never enjoy such massive support it had in 1967. I don’t support the Biafran call. The agitation General Gowon thought was going to end soon turned into a full-blown war that lasted for 3 years, and was fought by farmers and blacksmiths with no technical support.

Nevertheless, the lgbos showed resilience and held on for a unanimously shared belief. It is that very Igbo persistent spirit I urge us to always remember. Whatever life endeavour we find ourselves in, be it in business, in academics or in spiritual life, the spirit of the Igbo nation will always see the Nigerian entity through. The Igbos are conquerors; they never say “never”. Today, they are first-class entrepreneurs in Nigeria. Now imagine there is a country called Biafra. Where are they going to start from? How much will Biafra pound be to a dollar? Do you think the southerners with their oil-rich land will follow Biafrans to where they will be seen as minority? Who will be the leader of Biafra? I know most lgbos don’t see Nnamdi Kanu as the leader even though he seem to be the "Modern face of Biafra”. I wonder how he actually emerge as a leader in the first place. I am convinced it will be next to impossible for Biafra to become a developing nation. After 55 years of independence Nigeria is still struggling to stand on its two legs.

I must admit that the issue of Biafra has always been difficult to the southeasterners. As for me, Biafra will always be dear to my heart for I grew up with the touching war stories. Nevertheless, Biafra was a situational approach to a problem, and even its founding father, Gen. Ojukwu, accepted that the Biafra Struggle became memories. That’s why he ran for executive presidency in 2003. Ojukwu’s wife Bianca after his death was made the Nigerian Ambassador to Spain. His son, Mr Emeka Ojukwu, contested in the 2015 Federal House of Representatives election in Nnewi North and South constituency. These actions by the supposed Biafra leaders mean they now believe in Nigeria and its unity. Can anyone beat their chest and say Nnamdi Kanu won’t accept a presidential ticket of the APC or any other formidable party if given? If no, then who is fooling who?

However, It is Important l state that It is the duty of the government to ensure Its appointments are mutually inclusive and exhaustive with respects to the Various groups inherent in the Country without relegating any group to the background thus giving everyone a core Sense of belonging .

It is on this premise that I Urge Us all to stick to the devil that we know than the angel we don’t know. Let us start seeing Nigeria as an organic whole. This land Is so rich flowing with milk and honey as we can all attest to the fact that Nigeria is a blessed Land and am almost tempted to say God is a Nigerian. what Unites Us Is so powerful it could easily overcome what divides us. What is it that unites us all? Is it greater than what divides us? What do YOU think?

Go On With One Nigeria.

Mike Daniel Okaba.

N.B

Please feel free to critique my write up, am just trying my hands on the writing thingy
Re: A Letter To Biafra by clarocuzioo(m): 9:20pm On Jul 19, 2017
It' saddens my heart when I see such hypocritical write ups, it's is this kind of mentality that fuelled the agitating for Biafra, first and foremost history never made us one, if we are one we wouldn't have fought the first civil war and if we are one, after years of civil war and successive governments we would have stuck together and blended properly, but with the present situation of things, it's obviously obvious that we are not and can never be one because we share different views in religion, culture, economics, social, educational, geographical and even political, so let's not deceive ourselves.
The Igbo man is naturally tenacious in all its dealings in life so our tenacity is not limited to the struggle for Biafra.
May I at this point state categorically that every other tribe in this country has been hypocritical about the project "One Nigeria" it is only the Igbos that subscribed fully to the project without limitations or sentiments, this is evident in the Igbos have their properties and investment scattered all over the Nation, tell me any other tribe that has as much houses and investment in the south south or south east, or even half of it as the Igbos, none, so they are absolutely hypocritical, to them Nigeria is within their geopolitical zone or political territories.
The Igbos forgot all that divided us and moved on, but Nigeria treated them as outcast and second class citizens in their own country, when was the last time an Igbo man become the President of this country, how many major Generals of Igbo extraction do we have, when was the last time an Igbo man become the Chief Justice of the Federation, every geopolitical zone has more states than the south east, look at the roads in the south east, the second Niger bridge has been used as an object of political deceit to the Igbos since the days of Obasanjo, even the present APC led government fuelled the whole agitation with its lopsided appointment, what stops Buhari from choosing amongst Amechi, Ogbonnaya Onu and Chris Ngige to be the Secretary to the government of the Federation, look at the recent DSS recruitment where Katsina State has more slots than the entire south east region, look at Mr. President's 97/5% statement, look at the Fulani herdsmen menace where they kill and rape with reckless abandon, yet no single person has been prosecuted for such dastardly, inhumane and wicked acts.
The Biafra war was as a result of the Nigeria government not sticking to the Aburi accord (restructuring), and as a result over three million women and children were either killed or starved to death, today everybody is clamouring for restructuring, the entire nation owes the Igbos a strong apology for such mistake and wickedness.
So it is worthy to note that no other tribe has believed and invested in the project "One Nigeria" more than the Igbos do, none, yet we have been so battered, de humanised, maltreated, marginalised, killed and raped of our common patrimony, yet they still want us to subscribe to project "One Nigeria", you can fool some people sometimes, you can also fool some people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. Enough said.

4 Likes

Re: A Letter To Biafra by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 19, 2017
GBE enu e soun
Onye iberebe
Re: A Letter To Biafra by Dedetwo(m): 9:39pm On Jul 19, 2017
mdokaba1:
What Unites Us is Greater than What Divides Us.

Lifting from the historic lines of former American president John. F Kennedy but which Is well on its way to becoming a cliché and that is: “What unites us is greater than what divides us!” Late John F. Kennedy used it in his 1961 address to Canadian Parliament: “Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners. And necessity has made us allies. Those whom nature hath so joined together, let no man put asunder. What unites us is far better and greater than what divides us."

In the same Vein to my fellow countrymen From the east and particularly to the agitators of the Sovereign state of Biafra, Geography has made Us One , History has made Us One. Economics has made Us One . And necessity has made Use One. Thus; Those whom divine providence hath bought together let no Man put asunder. (Nnamdi Kanu please take note) Its high time we realized that Nigeria Is not a function of a British experimentation but rather a function of divine providence, the more reason It remains and will always remain an Indivisible entity.

I say Kedu to you all let me first of all State clearly and Unapologetically that I truly admire your tenacity and resilience in what seems to me like a Wasted and fruitless struggle of 40 Years plus, Alas! If the same Vigour and relentless strength were used In the Concept of one Nigeria, (albeit the lgbos are known for their business acumen and technological prowess and dexterity) at least we would have Moved farther towards the threshold of greatness as a nation because nothing brings stunted growth and retardedness to a nation like disunity and discord because It would always breed crises and endless Struggle on the Journey to greatness .

Dear Easterners let us not be so quick In forgetting the lessons of history, can we forget about what divides us and discover what Unites us? Can we not just promise our children a brighter tomorrow but a better day? can we forget about our differences that Makes us a laughing stock among the Committee of Nations and claim our rightful place in the Committee of nations as the Giant of Africa? Let us see ourselves, Yorubas, Hausas and other ethnic groups in this country as one indivisible Nigeria. Together we can fulfill our founding fathers’ dreams.

The Biafra movement emerged as a result of serious urgency. It came up to save the Easterners from the genocide developing in the North. That’s why when the late General Ojukwu moved the motion of Biafra to the Igbo elders, there was a unanimous approval. But today, throw up the issue of Biafra to the Igbo elites, and you are sure to get a different response. It means the people are divided on the Biafra issue, and it will never enjoy such massive support it had in 1967. I don’t support the Biafran call. The agitation General Gowon thought was going to end soon turned into a full-blown war that lasted for 3 years, and was fought by farmers and blacksmiths with no technical support.

Nevertheless, the lgbos showed resilience and held on for a unanimously shared belief. It is that very Igbo persistent spirit I urge us to always remember. Whatever life endeavour we find ourselves in, be it in business, in academics or in spiritual life, the spirit of the Igbo nation will always see the Nigerian entity through. The Igbos are conquerors; they never say “never”. Today, they are first-class entrepreneurs in Nigeria. Now imagine there is a country called Biafra. Where are they going to start from? How much will Biafra pound be to a dollar? Do you think the southerners with their oil-rich land will follow Biafrans to where they will be seen as minority? Who will be the leader of Biafra? I know most lgbos don’t see Nnamdi Kanu as the leader even though he seem to be the "Modern face of Biafra”. I wonder how he actually emerge as a leader in the first place. I am convinced it will be next to impossible for Biafra to become a developing nation. After 55 years of independence Nigeria is still struggling to stand on its two legs.

I must admit that the issue of Biafra has always been difficult to the southeasterners. As for me, Biafra will always be dear to my heart for I grew up with the touching war stories. Nevertheless, Biafra was a situational approach to a problem, and even its founding father, Gen. Ojukwu, accepted that the Biafra Struggle became memories. That’s why he ran for executive presidency in 2003. Ojukwu’s wife Bianca after his death was made the Nigerian Ambassador to Spain. His son, Mr Emeka Ojukwu, contested in the 2015 Federal House of Representatives election in Nnewi North and South constituency. These actions by the supposed Biafra leaders mean they now believe in Nigeria and its unity. Can anyone beat their chest and say Nnamdi Kanu won’t accept a presidential ticket of the APC or any other formidable party if given? If no, then who is fooling who?

However, It is Important l state that It is the duty of the government to ensure Its appointments are mutually inclusive and exhaustive with respects to the Various groups inherent in the Country without relegating any group to the background thus giving everyone a core Sense of belonging .

It is on this premise that I Urge Us all to stick to the devil that we know than the angel we don’t know. Let us start seeing Nigeria as an organic whole. This land Is so rich flowing with milk and honey as we can all attest to the fact that Nigeria is a blessed Land and am almost tempted to say God is a Nigerian. what Unites Us Is so powerful it could easily overcome what divides us. What is it that unites us all? Is it greater than what divides us? What do YOU think?

Go On With One Nigeria.

Mike Daniel Okaba.

N.B

Please feel free to critique my write up, am just trying my hands on the writing thingy

What a dimwitted ninny to even insinuates Nigeria in the same phrase with USA. What is the cord that united us? There is no unity in terms of harmony among Nigerians. Nigerians are only united through silly and idiotic amalgamation of British colonialists. I repeat the best thing for Igbo person in Nigeria is to secede from the cesspit called Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: A Letter To Biafra by mdokaba1(m): 9:45pm On Jul 19, 2017
clarocuzioo:
It' saddens my heart when I see such hypocritical write ups, it's is this kind of mentality that fuelled the agitating for Biafra, first and foremost history never made us one, if we are one we wouldn't have fought the first civil war and if we are one, after years of civil war and successive governments we would have stuck together and blended properly, but with the present situation of things, it's obviously obvious that we are not and can never be one because we share different views in religion, culture, economics, social, educational, geographical and even political, so let's not deceive ourselves.
The Igbo man is naturally tenacious in all its dealings in life so our tenacity is not limited to the struggle for Biafra.
May I at this point state categorically that every other tribe in this country has been hypocritical about the project "One Nigeria" it is only the Igbos that subscribed fully to the project without limitations or sentiments, this is evident in the Igbos have their properties and investment scattered all over the Nation, tell me any other tribe that has as much houses and investment in the south south or south east, or even half of it as the Igbos, none, so they are absolutely hypocritical, to them Nigeria is within their geopolitical zone or political territories.
The Igbos forgot all that divided us and moved on, but Nigeria treated them as outcast and second class citizens in their own country, when was the last time an Igbo man become the President of this country, how many major Generals of Igbo extraction do we have, when was the last time an Igbo man become the Chief Justice of the Federation, every geopolitical zone has more states than the south east, look at the roads in the south east, the second Niger bridge has been used as an object of political deceit to the Igbos since the days of Obasanjo, even the present APC led government fuelled the whole agitation with its lopsided appointment, what stops Buhari from choosing amongst Amechi, Ogbonnaya Onu and Chris Ngige to be the Secretary to the government of the Federation, look at the recent DSS recruitment where Katsina State has more slots than the entire south east region, look at Mr. President's 97/5% statement, look at the Fulani herdsmen menace where they kill and rape with reckless abandon, yet no single person has been prosecuted for such dastardly, inhumane and wicked acts.
The Biafra war was as a result of the Nigeria government not sticking to the Aburi accord (restructuring), and as a result over three million women and children were either killed or starved to death, today everybody is clamouring for restructuring, the entire nation owes the Igbos a strong apology for such mistake and wickedness.
So it is worthy to note that no other tribe has believed and invested in the project "One Nigeria" more than the Igbos do, none, yet we have been so battered, de humanised, maltreated, marginalised, killed and raped of our common patrimony, yet they still want us to subscribe to project "One Nigeria", you can fool some people sometimes, you can also fool some people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. Enough said.

Needless to say that the points you raised are valid and up to date. But as much as I agree that the igbos have been so marginalised in every sense of the word but believe me that only calls for a round table " family" talk but certainly not a divorce.
Re: A Letter To Biafra by attackgat: 9:45pm On Jul 19, 2017
If Britain that created Nigeria could give one of its areas, Northern Ireland, a referendum in 1973

If Britain that created Nigeria could give Scotland that has been part of it for over 300 years, a referendum in 2014

Then Nigeria has no argument in allowing any region a referendum on independence
Re: A Letter To Biafra by meritocrat: 9:51pm On Jul 19, 2017
DOUBLE STANDARD 101:By Charles Ogbu.An average Nigerian 'Facebooker' will do just about anything to save a victim of an abusive relationship from his/her abusive partner.If a married woman complain of any form of domestic violence from her husband, chances are that the first advice she will get from a Nigerian 'facebooker' is to leave the violent husband."You wan die?, you dey wait make im kill you?, you no go run with your life, why you mumu likethis nah? Man dey use you learn boxing and you still dey there dey ask weda make you leave am?"These are some of the rhetorical questions they would bombard the woman with.It matters not whether the marriage has produced kids. The fact that the woman legally entered into the said marriage and may have even sworn to stick with the man till death do them apart is irrelevant here.This Nigerian 'Facebooker' has enough common sense to realize that the right to life ofthe human person is the most important of all rights and must be protected at all cost. He is equally not unaware of the fact that once a man's right to life is threatened, such a man is at liberty to do anything......anything at all...to safeguard it. He is also cognizant of the fact that for a duly constituted marriage to be dissolved, all it requires is for one of the partners....just one....to express dissatisfaction.Marriage vow be damned!! These all important facts are not lost on him.Note, I completely share the views of this 'Nigerian Facebooker'.Now, here is the twist:When this same average Nigerian facebooker hears that the Igbos want to leave Nigeria because they believe they are being abused and their right to life constantly being compromised by both state and non state actors represented by the security agencies and the Fulani herdsmen respectively, the first thing you will hear from him is: "we are better off as one country ooo. Why they wan break up the country nah?. Why dem dey ask for Biafra sef?"This is the same person who was ready to do anything to save an innocent woman from her abusive partner few minutes ago.Meanwhile, this person acknowledges that the Igbos are actually being killed by the security agents and their Fulani herdsmen brethren and treated like inferior beings by the government. He is equally aware that neither the govt nor the security agencies are willing to change their hostile approach towards the Igbos. He knows all these, yet, he will go to any length including standing the law of natural justice on its head and even quoting non-existing laws in his desperate bid to make you see reason why the Igbos must remain in Nigeria no matter what.Note: in the case of the married woman being abused by her husband, she legally entered intothe marriage with her two 'kolokolo' eyes and may have even vowed to remain in it till death. But because this our 'average Nigerian' understands the sanctity of life, he would advice this woman to leave the abusive marriage for her own safety.In the case of the Igbos, they never bargained for this. They didn't enter into any form of agreement to be in this union. They were forcefully joined together.Yet, this our average Nigerian would want themto remain even when he knows that the abusivepartner in this fake union has shown no sign of putting his violent demon in check.Why are we like this
Re: A Letter To Biafra by clarocuzioo(m): 9:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
mdokaba1:

Needless to say that the points you raised are valid and up to date. But as much as I agree that the igbos have been so marginalised in every sense of the word but believe me that only calls for a round table " family" talk but certainly not a divorce.
You forgot that you people wouldn't have agreed to the round table discussion if Nnamdi Kanu did not take the drastic and desperate measures he took, e. g. Aburi Accord, when Buhari came in, he was advised to look into the confab report and see some areas he could implement for the sustenance and unity of this great Nation, but he refused saying that the confab report belongs to the trash, same way he stopped the Amnesty programme of the militants that later escalated to blowing of pipelines and loss of heavy revenue, with it's attendant economic crises in the Nation, so it's characteristic of the Nigerian government to treat the south east and South south as infidels or second class citizens untill things gets out of hand.
Re: A Letter To Biafra by Advent17(m): 9:59pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nigeria is dead on arrival....
Re: A Letter To Biafra by LifeDrama: 10:01pm On Jul 19, 2017
Do you know any graduate with 2nd class,
Lower division or better
in any of the following fields ?
Mathematics
Nursing Diploma
Biomedical engineering
French
Spanish
Geography,
Geology,Economics
Accounting
Banking and finance
Geophysics,
Medicine,
Health Sciences,/Computer science,
Engineering Sciences,
Agriculture Sciences,
Geography Education,
Law,
Mass Communication,
Political Science or
any Arts course?
Can the person speak English fluently?
Can they write well?
Do they have computer skills?
OK
please greet them for Me
Re: A Letter To Biafra by mdokaba1(m): 10:12pm On Jul 19, 2017
clarocuzioo:

You forgot that you people wouldn't have agreed to the round table discussion if Nnamdi Kanu did not take the drastic and desperate measures he took, e. g. Aburi Accord, when Buhari came in, he was advised to look into the confab report and see some areas he could implement for the sustenance and unity of this great Nation, but he refused saying that the confab report belongs to the trash, same way he stopped the Amnesty programme of the militants that later escalated to blowing of pipelines and loss of heavy revenue, with it's attendant economic crises in the Nation, so it's characteristic of the Nigerian government to treat the south east and South south as infidels or second class citizens untill things gets out of hand.

I don't get the "you people" thingy on your first paragraph. Am also a South Easterner, but am just trying to be neutral thus I wrote from a third person point of view.

Back to the issue. As stated in my post, I admire Kanu's resilience and his tenacity and that is what might bring about an eventual referendum, but certainly not a split as we badly seek
Re: A Letter To Biafra by Curlieweed: 10:23pm On Jul 19, 2017
mdokaba1:

You guys talk about these unity nonsense as if it's only Igbos involved. There are over 200 other ethnic groups in this colonial prison camp. Are Igbos going to sit at this your "round table " family" talk" alone?

There was a very modest attempt at addressing these same issues with the 2014 Conference but a majority of your unity loving fellow Nigerians voted for the guys that promised to dump the result of that conference. And even though they failed to keep any of the other pre-election promises they made, they were very forthright in keeping that singular promise.

We are not going to negotiate with our selves. We are making our position known.
Re: A Letter To Biafra by Bonga4: 12:58am On Jul 20, 2017
G.O O.N W.ITH O.NE N.IGERIA.....GOWON?
You are an idiot if you think you are being smart.
Stop patronizing igbos with your stupid acronym.
The sun WILL rise as it always does....from the East.
Re: A Letter To Biafra by clarocuzioo(m): 4:44am On Jul 20, 2017
mdokaba1:

I don't get the "you people" thingy on your first paragraph. Am also a South Easterner, but am just trying to be neutral thus I wrote from a third person point of view.

Back to the issue. As stated in my post, I admire Kanu's resilience and his tenacity and that is what might bring about an eventual referendum, but certainly not a split as we badly seek
Seriously I doubt if you are an easterner, sorry no offence just my feelings.
It's is not just necessarily Nnamdi kanu's resilience and tenacity, it is the selfishness, wickedness, stupidity, incompetence and greed of the northerners that will bring about the split. If you are truly an easterner as you claim, you will tell yourself the truth that your masters in the north are not interested in coming to the round table, they want the statues quo maintained because it favours them and they will not subscribe to anything that will change the status quo, never.

(1) (Reply)

Floods Submerged Impounded Vehicles In FRSC Office – See Photos / The Mockery Of Nzeribe: When Old Age Became An Epidemic / Police Shoot Protesters For Demanding Resignation Of President Buhari In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.