Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,777 members, 7,802,386 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change (9901 Views)

Pls Your Advise Is Needed As Regards 2008 Camry V4 / .... The Power Of Mobil 1 Extended Performance After 12k miles oil change / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by seunoresco: 9:38pm On Jul 19, 2017
Good day Nairalanders, been using my v6 mazda millenia 2001 for 3+ years now and have been servicing the engine with mobil xhp(20w50) , but recently i stumbled on my car manual and saw in there that the recommended engine oil is 5w20 . Need advice if i can change the oil for the next service day or just continue with the (20w50). Thanks
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by sooperrescue(m): 12:09am On Jul 20, 2017
Depends on the outcome but follow the owner manual and get the 5w20 but is it API SL or SJ?
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by timifakay(m): 1:38am On Jul 20, 2017
Just continue with your 20w50. You risk pushing out all the built up sludge in the engine if you change to 5w20 at this stage. This will lead to a smokey engine and oil shortage.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 8:14am On Jul 20, 2017
timifakay:
Just continue with your 20w50. You risk pushing out all the built up sludge in the engine if you change to 5w20 at this stage. This will lead to a smokey engine and oil shortage.

Respectfully disagree.

That engine has no sludge problem.

change to 5w30 but carefully monitor oil consumption for the next 5,000 miles.

At every 500 miles interval, if that will determine if the decision is reasonable or not.

compare oil consumption with manufacturer specifications if within tolerances, continue using 5w30

shall I also add that someone close to me using the same engine switched from 20w50 to 5w30 after 5 years without issues to date some 4 years later

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 8:32am On Jul 20, 2017
alternatively try 5w40 first for the next two to three oil changes and observe, next 5w30 next two to three oil changes, before finally moving to 5w20.

All the while observing as directed above, if the oil consumption is about 1 litre per 3,000 kilometres or 1 litre per 2,000 miles, the oil consumption is not excessive for the age of the engine, and is better to live with than the cost of a total teardown and repair
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by honmusa(m): 9:09am On Jul 20, 2017
seunoresco:
Good day Nairalanders, been using my v6 mazda millenia 2001 for 3+ years now and have been servicing the engine with mobil xhp(20w50) , but recently i stumbled on my car manual and saw in there that the recommended engine oil is 5w20 . Need advice if i can change the oil for the next service day or just continue with the (20w50). Thanks
No way u will be using wrong oil like 20w50 for over 3 years and your piston rings and crankshaft main bearing won't have been affected (To confirm this ,go for compression leakage test to check your piston ring integrity ).
ust continue using your 20w50 till your change to another engine .
I am sure your engine would have be showing the symptom!!!
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by honmusa(m): 9:42am On Jul 20, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Respectfully disagree.

At every 500 miles interval, if that will determine if the decision is reasonable or not.

compare oil consumption with manufacturer specifications if within tolerances, continue using 5w30

shall I also add that someone close to me using the same engine switched from 20w50 to 5w30 after 5 years without issues to date some 4 years later
I also respectively disagree about your statement about somebody using that crude and wrong oil for 5 years and switch to 5w30 without any issues.Let try to be objectives in our conclusion about issues not to cause confusion to people that come to the forum to learn and get educated .What scientific facts and figures did you come to arrive at such conclusion that the car is OK ?? cos in more than one decade of engineering practice I am yet to witness such miracle that prolong use of wrong oil left the engine unaffected .Is not about the negative effect that the switching to synthetic oil that matter but the irreparable damage the prolong use wrong oil have already cause that matter cos what is the use of beating a dead horse by using 5w30 oil to an already worn piston ring ,it just a waste of money !!!
I will advice you not be be forming analysis based on customer perspective alone so as not be led astray .

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 9:43am On Jul 20, 2017
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by timifakay(m): 9:52am On Jul 20, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Respectfully disagree.

Then that's good.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 10:15am On Jul 20, 2017
honmusa:

I also respectively disagree about that statement of somebody using that crude and wrong oil for 5 years and switch to 5w30 without any issues.
Let try to be near objectives in our conclusion about issues not to cause confusion to people that come to the forum to learn and get educated .
What scientific facts and figures did you come to arrive at such conclusion that the car is OK ?? cos in more than one decade of engineering practice I am yet to witness such feat.
I will advice you not be be forming analysis based on customer perspective alone so as not be led astray .

Not all engines are built the same.

some are sludge prone, some are not.

I restate that engine used in that particular does not have a sludge problem such as certain Toyotas are known to have

I did not do any extra tests, but no smoking, no shorting of oil, no discernable problem from a similar engine same vehicle

certainly your experiences do not define the upper or lower limits of possible human experience

I would advise OP study this site and ask the overqualified fellow that runs it any questions that you may have https://540ratblog./

by the way someone close to me is not synonymous with customer, close in this instance, means pretty close, related by blood a vehicle that I had extended and extensive access to

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by honmusa(m): 10:43am On Jul 20, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Not all engines are built the same.

some are sludge prone, some are not.

I restate that engine used in that particular does not have a sludge problem such as certain Toyotas are known to have

I did not do any extra tests, but no smoking, no shorting of oil, no discernable problem from a similar engine same vehicle

certainly your experiences do not define the upper or lower limits of possible human experience

I would advise OP study this site and ask the overqualified fellow that runs it any questions that you may have https://540ratblog./

by the way someone close to me is not synonymous with customer, close in this instance, means pretty close, related by blood a vehicle that I had extended and extensive access to
If you are open to the the challenge and like some adventures ,do you mind bringing this wonderful car to my workshop .I like experiment and knowledge ,i wont mind sparing some minute to see if it true there are some exception to the rules of lubrication(sludge prone or not ) , i will like to check up this car myself with my trusty diagnostics equipment to see if engine has not suffer any compression wear beyond reasonable threshold as you claim .
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 11:14am On Jul 20, 2017
honmusa:

If you are open to the the challenge and like some adventures ,do you mind bringing this wonderful car to my workshop .I like experiment and knowledge ,i wont mind sparing some minute to see if it true there are some exception to the rules of lubrication(sludge prone or not ) , i will like to check up this car myself with my trusty diagnostics equipment to see if engine has not suffer any compression wear beyond reasonable threshold as you claim .

I never said there was no wear and tear, I said no visible leaks, no strange exhaust colors, no abnormal shortages between changes.

Before the switch, oil changes during the interval that 20w50 were very regular as soon as the oil pressure light indicated a problem or 3,000 miles which ever came first.

Since the switch to full synthetic 5w30 regular oil changes at a higher interval 7,000 miles no issues either

My point is those Toyotas with an oil consumption problem are determined most of the time by users inspecting the oil and noticing a shortage that is abnormal, and not by scientific tests.

So how about switching to the correct oil and monitoring for problems, instead of blindly assuming the engine is a goner without more?

Provided the intervals are respected, the chances of losing the engine are next to nil.

Just my opinion.

I am in Abuja and you are in Lagos, so I am unable to take up the challenge!

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by seunoresco: 12:04am On Jul 21, 2017
Thanks @AutoElectNG . The similar car is also a v6 mazda millennia 2001 car, right?... Yes I know it doesn't have a sludge problem. Engine surely more tolerable to Toyota's . Just need to be sure before I change the oil to a 5w30 for next service date.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 7:00am On Jul 21, 2017
seunoresco:
Thanks @AutoElectNG . The similar car is also a v6 mazda millennia 2001 car, right?... Yes I know it doesn't have a sludge problem. Engine surely more tolerable to Toyota's . Just need to be sure before I change the oil to a 5w30 for next service date.

You can count on my word, if I were not so certain I would not speak so forcefully, my reputation is at stake so I think carefully before I make comments.

Go ahead but keep a pen and paper in the vehicle, noting the date, the mileage and keep monitoring, would not hurt to buy double the quantity of oil, the type of driving, and permanently store in the car while you conduct this experiment.

Feel free to report the results so others can learn.

Have a wonderful day.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by seunoresco: 8:31pm On Jul 21, 2017
Thanks bro. Recommended oil in the car manual is 10w30 or 5w30... Which brand can be easily purchased around. Thanks bro I appreciate
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 8:42pm On Jul 21, 2017
seunoresco:
Thanks bro. Recommended oil in the car manual is 10w30 or 5w30... Which brand can be easily purchased around. Thanks bro I appreciate

5w30 easier to find

where r u based?
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by seunoresco: 11:34pm On Jul 21, 2017
Ijaiye area, Lagos
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 3:34am On Jul 22, 2017
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by seunoresco: 4:54pm On Aug 01, 2017
Bro. Can I have ur WhatsApp number. Thanks
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by seunoresco: 3:12am On Aug 04, 2017
Good day @AutoElectNG , oil has been switched to 5w30 for few days now, car running smoothly. Thanks
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 10:09am On Aug 17, 2017
seunoresco:
Good day @AutoElectNG , oil has been switched to 5w30 for few days now, car running smoothly. Thanks

Can I get an update tomorrow? Two weeks after your report of the switch?
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 3:52am On Apr 10, 2018
How have things been since the switch, it's been a while, update the house
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by thebigkendo(m): 1:59pm On Apr 10, 2018
AutoElectNG:
How have things been since the switch, it's been a while, update the house

Cc seunoresco
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by OgaKazeem(m): 9:09pm On Apr 11, 2018
@OP how far? whats d latest na?
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by seunoresco: 12:25am On Apr 12, 2018
Apologies for the late reply, been running the car on 5w30 engine oil ever since. Car in very good shape and condition. Thanks. doesnt have any sludge issue. Runs like new

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 8:33am On Apr 12, 2018
seunoresco:
Apologies for the late reply, been running the car on 5w30 engine oil ever since. Car in very good shape and condition. Thanks. doesnt have any sludge issue. Runs like new

Thanks for the validation.

I have switched many vehicles from 20W50 to 5W30 without incident.

YMMV.

Before I recommend a position, I have taken my time to analyze authorities on the matter and take a reasoned and informed stand as opposed to an emotional or spur of the moment view. I am also willing to explain how I arrived at my decision,it gives me a chance to let someone poke holes in them if such exist which I did not see, giving me yet another chance to bow to superior wisdom, if it exists.

If I take a reasoned stand that turns out to be faulty, I will also retract and provide reasons for the change.

That is my promise.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by OgaKazeem(m): 9:37am On Apr 12, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Thanks for the validation.

I have switched many vehicles from 20W50 to 5W30 without incident.

YMMV.

Before I recommend a position, I have taken my time to analyze authorities on the matter and take a reasoned and informed stand as opposed to an emotional or spur of the moment view. I am also willing to explain how I arrived at my decision,it gives me a chance to let someone poke holes in them if such exist which I did not see, giving me yet another chance to bow to superior wisdom, if it exists.

If I take a reasoned stand that turns out to be faulty, I will also retract and provide reasons for the change.

That is my promise.
atleast now we have a real life situation...
so why do some experts scare people away about changing from 20w50 to 5w30/40?
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by OgaKazeem(m): 9:39am On Apr 12, 2018
Autoelectng... pls is it ok to run 5w30-40 on a 1999 nissan altima GXE?
i want to avoid sludge build up like d camry I was asking about. and I also want the car running smooth
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by OgaKazeem(m): 9:39am On Apr 12, 2018
seunoresco:
tnx alot for d update bro
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 4:21pm On Apr 12, 2018
OgaKazeem:
Autoelectng... pls is it ok to run 5w30-40 on a 1999 nissan altima GXE?
i want to avoid sludge build up like d camry I was asking about. and I also want the car running smooth
Still researching....once done...Will update this post
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by OgaKazeem(m): 5:23pm On Apr 12, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Still researching....once done...Will update this post
ok... make I do my own research too

checked... people have used 5w-30 on it and have good testimonies about it. i believe i am good to go with the oil change then....
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 8:34pm On Apr 12, 2018
OgaKazeem:
Autoele.ctng... pls is it ok to run 5w30-40 on a 1999 nissan altima GXE?

First things first, create a baseline.
What is your mileage?

Next, kindly postpone the switch until you create a baseline by doing an oil change using the same oil you have been using.

Make a note to check how much of that oil has been consumed 1000 miles later. Scientifically that would mean draining and measuring the oil, accounting for the oil in the filter. Layman's method is observe the dipstick level. Even better take a picture.

Repeat 5 times. You could even plot the data x axis for time and y axis for oil consumed.

This baseline will be used to compare with using synthetic over the course of the next 5,000 miles against the factory oil consumption rate of 1 quart per 1,200 miles.

I have not yet answered the question but I will, start now to gather this information, we will need it to validate the switch should we determine we need to switch.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD / Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods / Honda Accord 2009( Evil Spirit) Vs Toyota Camry 2009 (spider)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.