Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / . (26353 Views)

Lady Vomitting Blood In Ikorodu Was Not A Runs Girl, Not Thrown From Car / Lady Spotted Vomitting Blood In Ikorodu (Photo) / 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

. by jwizzy(m): 4:20pm On Feb 05, 2010
Re: . by housedoc: 10:59am On Feb 07, 2010
Under normal conditions you can not have "excess blood" in your body as there is usually a balance mainatined by the bone marrow to make the right amount of cells and the kidneys to keep blood volume at the optimal level

Blood letting for a variety of illnesses has been practised in the past and was quite common but it was shown to be of no benefit as medical science became more advanced and there was no real basis for the practice.

Interestingly, it was also specifically used to treat acute heart failure in the past, by reducing circulating blood volume it relieved pressure on the heart and lungs and gave symptomatic relief, nowadays there are less messy and safer ways of treating acute heart failure

There are some cases where you can have too many blood cells (polycythaemia) or too much iron (haemochromatosis) in the body and your doctor might recommend removing a unit of blood to treat the condition. This is not really due to having too much blood but rather, too much of a component of blood ie red cells or iron which is easiest to remove by removing red cells
Polycythaemia can cause strokes as the blood becomes very thick, common cause include smoking, chronic lung dieases and certain types of tumours

Haemochromatosis is caused by iron overload, it is usually caused by a genetic defect, I do not know how common it is in Nigeria, In east africa where they use iron pots to cook and brew beer, iron overload has been described in heavy drinkers

Regards
Housedoc
Re: . by chidyke77(m): 9:21pm On Feb 07, 2010
Wheneva i hv excess blood on my body d nxt thing wl be serious malaria that wl reduce d excess.

(1) (Reply)

My Right Eye Is Going Blur, Please Help / EFCC Seals St Solomons Health Care, Lagos (Photo) / See Why You Should Always Stay Hydrated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.