Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It (15770 Views)

You Are Ruining Your Car If You Are Guilty Of Any Of The Following / 6 Ways You're Ravaging Your Car Without Realizing It / Peugeot E-legend That Drives Itself: Car Without Driver Got Nigerians Talking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by obafemee80(m): 2:26am On Jul 21, 2017
[img]http:///a/img922/553/YfJV0s.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img922/5892/TZBXlQ.jpg[/img]

1)Using the Wrong Engine Oil
The thickness of the oil(viscosity)effects how the oil does its job.Each car engine was designed for a specific viscosity.There is a lot of difference between 5W-30 and 10W-30 engine oil.
Always stick with the manufacturer recommendation,conveniently found in your owner's manual.

2)Letting Your Fuel Tank Run Low
You should never run the car on close to empty tank,before filling up at a petrol station.Keep a tank at least a quarter(1/4)full at all times with petrol to avoid fuel pump and engine issues down the road.It would also ensure that you do not get stranded on the side of the road with no fuel in your car.

3)Ignoring the Check Engine light
It could be something minor,but if left untreated,it could turn into something very costly.repairs.Investigate the potential problems yourself or take the car to a mechanic and have it checked.

4)Ignoring Weird Sounds You Hear
Knocking in the engine and the sound of grinding metal or squeaking brakes is typically a warning to the driver.It means that there is a problem and ignoring these sounds will only end up costing you more money in repairs in the long run. 

5)Not Using the Parking Brake
Parking brakes lock the wheels on a car,ensuring it doesn't roll or move when parked.It also protects the transmission when the car is parked.The vehicle is not meant to be held in place by the transmission.That is what the parking brake is meant to be used for.Also remember to release the parking brake before driving off.

6)Filling Your Radiator With Water Only
The purpose of antifreeze/coolant is to keep the water in your car from freezing in cold weather and from boiling and overheating in hot weather.Either of these conditions can cause a breakdown and serious injury to your engine.
Use a 50/50 mix of water and coolant or as recommended.

7)Not Slowing Down for Speed Bumps or Avoiding Pot Holes
Hitting a speed bump too fast or carelessly running over a pot hole will destroy your shocks,suspension and wheel alignment quicker.Thses can be avoided by slowing down for a speed bump or swerving around a pot hole

8 )Using the Wrong Cleaning Products
Using a wrong cleaning products containing ammonia on a tinted windows will cause them to discolor(purple tinted).Most of the cleaners sold for car upholstery can also cause vinyl and leather seats to fade.Use a dedicated automotive window cleaner or water instead.Water removes most dirt and debris quickly and easily,without damaging the interior or exterior of a car.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/10-ways-you-39-re-ruining-your-1274666849075254.html
https://autojosh.com/8-ways-youre-ruining-car-without-realizing/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by Nobody: 2:39am On Jul 21, 2017
Going by your list, can we conclude that every car in Nigeria is ruined?

23 Likes

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by lateefx(m): 7:06am On Jul 21, 2017
Too strict nah
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by Techpaded(f): 7:07am On Jul 21, 2017
nice info

2 Likes

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by bigtt76(f): 7:08am On Jul 21, 2017
Ok
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by Afam4eva(m): 7:12am On Jul 21, 2017
PaperLace:
That's why most Nigerian used cars have little resell value compared to foreign used ones.

8 Likes

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by SolexxBarry(m): 7:13am On Jul 21, 2017
Hmm that means I av been ruining my car ever since

4 Likes

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by femi4: 7:15am On Jul 21, 2017
Guilty of 1-6.....car issues are inevitable

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by Gobhanky: 7:15am On Jul 21, 2017
Shut up thr.
Only in 5days
Nails dey enter tire.
In my street pot holes are endless.
On the road too
Everywhere na pot boles.
I need a toyota 4runner 2006 model badly.
I need at least 3 to 4 feet above the ground suv with big ass tires.
I think my shocs are bad cause everytime i land on some bad road.i hear some echoing sound in the front legs
What could that be
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by Gobhanky: 7:16am On Jul 21, 2017
Edited.
Different fronts everywhere.
Guy u r too dull.
No worry them go flag your acct for fraud in bank soo
emmasure17:
Yesterday's winning went as planned congratulations to my yesterday's buyers for more information about our games call or Whatsapp me on the number showing below please no free games serious minded people only

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by Apipia: 7:22am On Jul 21, 2017
Number 6 is purely Nonsense in capital letters.
Has harmattan ever freezed a teaspoon of water in Nigeria?
Number 2, applies during 60s and 70s when petrol stations are almost 500 kilometers apart.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by samilo88(m): 7:24am On Jul 21, 2017
Am a victim of no7. This my area they derive joy in spoiling ppls shocks. Every 5meters u ll see a speed bump. When am late for work I dey jump am pass like say I no see am.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by tmanis(m): 7:24am On Jul 21, 2017
shocked

9 Likes

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by AroOkigbo(m): 7:26am On Jul 21, 2017
Carrying extra passengers.
Parking in the sun.
Engaging your car immediately after starting it (no warm up time)

3 Likes

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by tmanis(m): 7:26am On Jul 21, 2017
Apipia:
Number 2, applies during 60s and 70s when petrol stations are almost 500 kilometers apart.
seriously? angry
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by sakalisis(m): 7:28am On Jul 21, 2017
embarassed
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by lexy2014: 7:31am On Jul 21, 2017
lateefx:
Too strict nah
these are simple routines that anyone can follow but most folks feel cos a car is a machine u can use it d way u like. If u are careless with ur car ur car will b careless with u.if u take care of ur car it will take care of u.

A man is only as good as d car he drives
- Frank Martin(Transporter 3)

5 Likes

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by AroOkigbo(m): 7:36am On Jul 21, 2017
Apipia:
Needless arguing what you don't know.
6. Coolant improves pH and prevents rusting of engine components too. Water alone also wouldn't provide conditions for enough heat exchange.
2. When you run on low fuel, there are higher chances of dirt and water at the base of your fuel tank being sucked. You'll be stressing your filters much. ..higher chances of these entering the injection nozzles and blocking them.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by lonelydora: 7:43am On Jul 21, 2017
3. Why will I not ignore 'Check light' when most Kazeems say it's normal - na so oyibo do am to show say engine dey work. Lol

6. Coolant also help to prevent fouling of the radiator tubes while also altering the boiling/freezing points of water.
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by okomile(f): 7:44am On Jul 21, 2017
emmasure17:
Yesterday's winning went as planned congratulations to my yesterday's buyers for more information about our games call or Whatsapp me on the number showing below please no free games serious minded people only
by

Scammer
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by thefunclubenterprise(m): 7:58am On Jul 21, 2017
All points valid, I now use coolant, and always avoid low fuel indicator before refuelling
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by symbianDON(m): 8:03am On Jul 21, 2017
in addition to your no.6, the most important reason to use the coolant is to act as an anti-rust....keeping corrosion away from your engine

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by Apipia: 8:13am On Jul 21, 2017
AroOkigbo:

Needless arguing what you don't know.
6. Coolant improves pH and prevents rusting of engine components too. Water alone also wouldn't provide conditions for enough heat exchange.
2. When you run on low fuel, there are higher chances of dirt and water at the base of your fuel tank being sucked. You'll be stressing your filters much. ..higher chances of these entering the injection nozzles and blocking them.
I wrote from conventional wisdom. Did any members of your family owned, Peugeot,Renault, Volvo D series, Volks in the 60s, 70s,80s and the early 90s, which of these cars are driven with anti freezing coolants? Number 6 still remains bullshit.
On DIY drain your radiator if you are to pack your car for a long time and attach a note radiator empty.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by omoiyalayi(m): 8:18am On Jul 21, 2017
Op is it ur car?
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by buchilino(m): 8:20am On Jul 21, 2017
PaperLace:

TO A LARGE EXTENT OP IS RIGHT, COS WEN I BOUGHT MY CAR, I WAS VERY CARELESS IN MAINTENANCE. BUT NOW AM FOLLOWING SOME OF D HIS RECOMMENDATIONS, I NOTICED SOME POSITIVE CHANGES IN D CAR.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by sexyboocalher(f): 8:44am On Jul 21, 2017
Apipia:

I wrote from conventional wisdom. Did any members of your family owned, Peugeot,Renault, Volvo D series, Volks in the 60s, 70s,80s and the early 90s, which of these cars are driven with anti freezing coolants? Number 6 still remains bullshit.
On DIY drain your radiator if you are to pack your car for a long time and attach a note radiator empty.

Is ur life aching u?
Must u SHOUT?
Why add his family?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by booz(m): 8:51am On Jul 21, 2017
Using liquid detergent to wash your car instead of carwash
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by hibee4uall(m): 9:00am On Jul 21, 2017
PLS CHECK MY SIGNATURE. THANKS FOR DOING SO
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by classicalhenry(m): 9:29am On Jul 21, 2017
For your original lubricants, whole sales and retails
Check us @135 ikwerre road port Harcourt
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by Apipia: 9:45am On Jul 21, 2017
sexyboocalher:

Is ur life aching u?
Must u SHOUT?
Why add his family?

He said, that i am arguing from what i ,dont know, that means, car radiator must have added anti freezing coolant in them, i disagrees
I wrote from conventional wisdom , if any members of his family had owned those cars mentioned, they dont need those chemical.
In the US, who may require anti freeze,? A car owner in Alaska or another in Texas?
Re: 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It by Dollabiz: 9:48am On Jul 21, 2017
Oh

(1) (2) (Reply)

Japanese Cars Vs German Cars - Which Do You Prefer To Use In Nigeria? / Have You Ever Opened Someone Else's Car By Mistake? / PAN Nigeria Launches Virtual Auto Showroom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.