Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,829 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic (10408 Views)

See What Will Happen Once Igbo Or Yoruba becomes president / Pakistanis Rush To Learn Arabic As 2nd Language After Discovering This / Nigerians Criticize Buhari After French President Was Spotted Doing This. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by ayoncox: 1:05am On Jul 25, 2017
Benin Republic has recognised the Yoruba language as second official language in the country. Nigeria’s Ambassador to Benin, Dr Lawrence Obisakin, who disclosed this , also said that Dendi another indigenous Nigeria Language was also been recognised alongside Yoruba by the Beninoise Government, underscoring the affinity between the two countries. The Nigerian envoy explained that based on the recognition, the Federal Government has recently donated Yoruba Language books to the Government of Benin.

“At the fifth session of Nigeria-Benin Bilateral Joint Commission when you have multi-party, multifarious and inter-ministerial meetings and we were able to sign and renew eight agreements including educational agreements.

“Just a week ago, Nigerian Government gave Yoruba books to the government of Benin to support the recognition of the language.

“We have two languages recognised, Yoruba and Dendi languages have been recognised here as national languages,” he said.

According to him, even the President of Benin said 70 to 80 per cent of the people are of Nigerian origin.

“From the south, you have the Egun, both in Porto Novo and Badagry. When you go northward, you begin to find the Yoruba people.

“You have also the Bariba people; you have the Batonu who we call the Borgu people. You have the Dendi people; you have the people that speak Fulani and Hausa.”

Obisakin also explained that Nigeria and Benin Republic have had so many things in common right from the pre-colonial era. He said that historically, Nigeria and Benin were one and the same people adding, Nigerian empires had governed almost all parts of Benin before the colonial separation.

“Republic of Benin is a country that shares about 778 kilometres of border, and is about the country that has the most densely populated frontiers with Nigeria.

“Benin is a country that has produced the first official border at Idi-Iroko, the country that has the most lucrative border with Nigeria, Seme, where about 6,000 people cross per day.

“If not for the colonial separation, where you are standing now Cotonou use to be part of Oyo Empire and the capital was Oyo-Ile up to the shores of Ghana and the Northern part of this country (Benin) used to be Borgu Empire.

“When I came here, there were only four industries that were exporting but today, there are 28 and more.

“This is one of our negotiations and we thank God for that, a lot has been achieved.”

https://www.newsbreak.ng/2016/03/yoruba-becomes-second-official-language-in-benin-republic/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by Jetleeee: 1:19am On Jul 25, 2017
Wow! this is interesting because...as far as I know, Fon is more spoken in Benin republic than Yoruba.

Wouldn't it be so lovely to see the Yorubas in Benin republic merged with their kith and kin in Western Nigeria? These guys are just exactly like us. And they are very hard working.

I just can't wait for that time when we'd have Yorubas from all parts of the world including places like Brazil, Togo, T&T, Cuba all in SW Nigeria smiley

Y'all need to see how much influence Brazilian returnees had on our architecture and the development of Lagos particularly. These are the people we need here. We should send these potor bricklayers developing the whole planet with Abiama cement to wherever they came from. I'm tired of seeing tennis racquet heads and bearded, mullah-looking women in Yorubaland. I'm tired!

Anyway...

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by shukuokukobambi: 1:23am On Jul 25, 2017
This is interesting grin

The cream always rises to the top. I'm not surprised. I was shocked the first time I listened to Angelique Kidjo's "Wombolombo" song and realised she was singing in Yoruba. Truly Yoruba is beyond Nigeria grin

Edumare bless the Yoruba race wink

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by menace1: 1:30am On Jul 25, 2017
Proudly afonja, we dominate

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by kn23h(m): 1:31am On Jul 25, 2017
menace1:
Proudly afonja, we dominate

Your father is the afonja.

Proudly Yoruba omoluabi here.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by deomelo: 1:45am On Jul 25, 2017

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by deomelo: 1:50am On Jul 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Mrn3jkjJ0

We are Trinidad and Tobago.

grin grin grin grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by deomelo: 1:54am On Jul 25, 2017

20 Likes

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by deomelo: 1:55am On Jul 25, 2017
Yoruba Mexico no dey carry last...

grin grin grin grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by deomelo: 1:58am On Jul 25, 2017
Respuesta del Oluwo Leonel

grin grin grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by mormonslayer: 2:03am On Jul 25, 2017
Mods pls move to culture section.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by menace1: 2:08am On Jul 25, 2017
kn23h:

Your father is the afonja.

Proudly Yoruba omoluabi here.
am proudly Yoruba so stfu

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by deomelo: 2:17am On Jul 25, 2017
mormonslayer:

mormonslayer:
If tomorrow Biafra never comes, at least our young ones are now educating themselves about the war, Biafra, and the marginalization of the Igbos.

You are mad because your Biafra village is not recognized beyond you village? grin grin grin grin

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by BeautifulSE: 2:18am On Jul 25, 2017
[s]
mormonslayer:
[/s]

Leave this place

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by kn23h(m): 2:19am On Jul 25, 2017
menace1:
am proudly Yoruba so stfu

Why are you calling yourself afonja then?

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by kn23h(m): 2:23am On Jul 25, 2017
menace1:
nairaland shiit

You can create your own narrative.

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by Rmxr: 2:24am On Jul 25, 2017
Jetleeee:
Wow! this is interesting because...as far as I know, Fon is more spoken in Benin republic than Yoruba.

Wouldn't it be so lovely to see the Yorubas in Benin republic merged with their kith and kin in Western Nigeria? And they are very hardworking. I just can't wait for that time when we'd have Yorubas from all parts of the world including places like Brazil, T&T, Cuba all in SW Nigeria smiley

Y'all need to see how much influence Brazilian returnees had on our architecture and the development of Lagos particularly. These are the people we need here. We should send these potor bricklayers developing the whole planet with Abiama cement to wherever they came from. I'm tired of seeing bearded, mullah-looking women in Yorubaland. I'm tired!

Anyway...

Lmao @ abiama cement grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by Rmxr: 2:25am On Jul 25, 2017
Mynd44 Lalasticlala

This should be on the FP

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by Osaze007: 3:26am On Jul 25, 2017
agreed

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by Osaze007: 3:35am On Jul 25, 2017
Move to FP oo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by Jabioro: 3:52am On Jul 25, 2017
deomelo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQwvEAeTibw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwh8YtWbLEs

We are in Agentina..

grin grin
...and also in Trinidad and Tobago.. Most part of South American Continent are about 10-17% Yoruba... we know our routes not like them..

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by madridguy(m): 3:58am On Jul 25, 2017
Argentina also, interesting.

12 Likes

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by seunny4lif(m): 4:16am On Jul 25, 2017
cool cool
Oh
Yoruba people right?The whole wide world knows them has the greatest people on earth cool

15 Likes

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by Nobody: 4:36am On Jul 25, 2017
Make sense cool

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by bakynes(m): 5:04am On Jul 25, 2017
Also the Yoruba language is recognized in the UK. I visited a clinic to see a GP and I was giving an appointment form to fill and the sections of "what are the languages you speak" I saw All the other European languages then I saw Yoruba language I was surprised.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by shukuokukobambi: 5:09am On Jul 25, 2017
chiagozien:
Are they behaving like yoruba muslim we have here,that can leak the ass of their master up north.

Have you settled the identity crisis between the yeeboe Jews and yeeboe Christians already? Are the wawa Jews now accepted as mainstream? angry

As for the OSU debacle, even shuku okuko alabiabia is powerless to help you

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by Drogbs: 5:11am On Jul 25, 2017
I hope they are not as useless as their brothers here in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Becomes Second Official Language After French In Benin Republic by BabaRamota1980: 5:13am On Jul 25, 2017
Thanks to Gani Adams, he did a lot of footwork for this recognition.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Muhammadu Buhari Leaves For Addis Ababa Tomorrow / Wike Inaugurates International Tanker Park (Photos) / Kayode Fayemi Meets Jacob Zuma Of South Africa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.