Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, (23101 Views)

Man Kills Python That Swallowed His Dog In Anambra. Photos / Lady Names Her Dog After Hushpuppi, See The Striking Resemblance / Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named Dog Buhari Appears In Court (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 25, 2017
A magistrate court in Sango-Ota, Ogun state has struck out a case against Mr Joachim Iroko, who was arrested for naming his dog after Nigeria's president, Muhammadu Buhari.

Iroko was arrested by the Nigerian police force in 2016 for "conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace", detained and has been in and out of court since. His lawyers, Inibehe Effiong and Niyi Fadile secured his release today after the case was struck out by the court for want of "diligent prosecution".

Below is a press statement made available to PoliticsNGR by Iroko's lawyer;

I was at the Sango Ota Chief Magistrate Court in Ogun State this morning with Mr Fadile Niyi, a lawyer in the law firm of my learned senior, Mr Ebun-olu Adegboruwa for the case of Mr Joachim Iroko.

Iroko came to prominence in 2016 after he was arrested, detained and charged to court by the Nigeria Police Force for "conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace" for naming his dog 'Buhari'.

Following the serial failure by the prosecution to present its witnesses and the continued absence of the nominal complainant who had claimed that Iroko named his dog 'Buhari', after his father, we applied for the case to be struck out by the Court for want of diligent prosecution.

The Magistrate, O. O. Adebo, granted our application and the case was accordingly struck-out and Mr Iroko walked home a free man.

I had argued from the outset that the Nigeria Police did not have any case against Iroko and that there was no legal basis to arrest, detain and prosecute the poor trader over an alleged conduct that did not harm and could not have injured anybody. There was nothing like an attempt to cause a breach of peace ab initio.

I want to specially commend Mr Adegboruwa for leading lawyers in defence of Mr Iroko pro bono. I appreciate Messrs Fadile Niyi and Tosin Adesioye from the chambers of Adegboruwa & Co., Mr Adeola Samuel Opeyemi and Mr Vincent Obetta who were all part of the defence team which I am proud to have been part of.

I want to also appreciate the media for their conscientious coverage of this case and all Nigerians who had expressed support in one form or the other for Mr Iroko.

When the incident happened in August 2016, I responded by leading a campaign for the freedom of Iroko. That this case has ended this way is a victory for justice and a boost to the image of the Nigerian Judiciary as the last hope of the oppressed and the common man.

We hope that the Nigeria Police and their instigators will now allow reason to prevail. But if they wish to resurrect this case, we shall meet them again in court.

http://politicsngr.com/2017/07/25/court-frees-james-iroko-man-named-dog-buhari/

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by sarrki(m): 1:30pm On Jul 25, 2017
He's ipob miscreants

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by Ohammadike: 1:31pm On Jul 25, 2017
sarrki:
He's ipob miscreants

May common sense fall on you

220 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by dollytino4real(f): 1:39pm On Jul 25, 2017
may buhari fall on u. my poo-poo i can not name it buhari sef come to talk of my oyinbo dog

23 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by NwaAmaikpe: 1:53pm On Jul 25, 2017
shocked

Even the dog doesn't want to be called Buhari.

146 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by vizkiz: 2:29pm On Jul 25, 2017
They realize that the Nigga was right after all. A president who went AWOL ain't no human grin

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by tommykiwi(m): 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2017
Supposes the dullard is in Nigeria this fellow for still dey cell...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by Generalkaycee(m): 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2017
Justice served @last

4 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by OkoYibo: 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2017
Ohammadike:
Meanwhile the dry vegetable dog is dying in London.

I will go and pick up a pig and name it bubu

That pig would be more notable than all your ancestors, your folks and your unborn generations.

3 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by sunnyb0b0(m): 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2017
Ohammadike:
Meanwhile the dry vegetable dog is dying in London.

I will go and pick up a pig and name it bubu

42 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by angeltolly(f): 2:44pm On Jul 25, 2017
That moment when the judge realized, " A barking Dog Buhari roaming about in Sango Ota, is better than a Silent Buhari in London" lipsrsealed

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by lilmax(m): 2:44pm On Jul 25, 2017
A name as crappy as buhari? crap.....can't even imagine it

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by KinzyeWriter(m): 2:44pm On Jul 25, 2017
Not Even A % Of Peace In This Country

3 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by chrisxxx(m): 2:44pm On Jul 25, 2017
Very soon all political prisoners in Nigeria would be freed in the absence of the dictator.

15 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
Hmm.
lipsrsealed
Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by Atiku2019: 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
Dictatorial Government cool

2019 where art thou?

8 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by canalily(m): 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
Hd is now a Hero! gringrin

1 Like

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by raker300: 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
Giving a beautiful dog such ugly, foul name

12 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by TippyTop(m): 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
Pictured below is my dog, I named her Aisha-wo Buhari
Come and arrest me.

45 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by SweetJoystick(m): 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
Nice development

2 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by helphelp: 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
After all these while

1 Like

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by Babtunz: 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Even the dog doesn't want to be called Buhari.
Hahhaaha Laugh wannto Wunjure me oo tongue

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by abdulrazat(m): 2:46pm On Jul 25, 2017
He should be compensated. The psychological torture and all, The Nigerian police oppressing the citizens it's meant to protect.

17 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by ivolt: 2:46pm On Jul 25, 2017
Finally,
Congrats Iroko.
Your persecution is over.

8 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by IsaacBuchi(m): 2:46pm On Jul 25, 2017
dollytino4real:
may buhari fall on u. my poo-poo i can not name it buhari sef come to talk of my oyinbo dog

Girl, you're wicked...choi cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 25, 2017
I have two cattle, one will be called Jonathan and the other Buhari.

Here is something for you photographers, don't open if you are not a photographer.

http://www.fototech.com.ng/accessories-every-beginner-photographer-must/
Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by magoo10(m): 2:47pm On Jul 25, 2017
they just put the guy in unnecessary stress and run arounds ,confused govt

5 Likes

Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by hardeycute(m): 2:47pm On Jul 25, 2017
A Good call
Re: Court Frees Joachim Iroko, Man Who Named His Dog After Buhari, by yankosbaba(m): 2:47pm On Jul 25, 2017
I don't think you have got a brain. You just spew rubbish here and there. Oponu.
sarrki:
He's ipob miscreants

22 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My First Dog Ever (A German Shepherd) / How To Make Money Breeding Dogs - Starting A Responsible Dog Breeding Business / Cute Pixs Of Puppies And Dogs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.