Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,802 members, 7,798,715 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 - Travel (178) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 (823744 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by nwakaegoabisola(f): 9:27am On Sep 04, 2017
jnyuwa02:

UAlberta is a great choice for public health and they have 5 international scholarships of $10,000 a year for public health. You don't have to apply, it's based on faculty recommendation after you have been accepted. Won't cover your entire expenses, but it helps. First things first. You should probably concentrate on the admissions and worry about visa questions later. Your questions are open ended to ad infinutum, I don't know where to start and end. Focus on putting a killer application and statement of purpose to school on why you want to study public health. Pay application fee, get two to three letters of recommendations and submit transcripts. In no particular order.

Thank you very much jnyuwa02 I am very grateful dear. Sorry I just had to type all I had in my head jare. I appreciate and I would work on the Killer application like you said. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by nwakaegoabisola(f): 9:37am On Sep 04, 2017
GlitteringStar:

Hello Nwakaegoabisola,

*You have a good profile. @Bolded, why do you want to rewrite your IELTS exam? Most Canadian universities do waive English test for Nigerians. You can contact your program advisor for more details.

*Master of Public Health (MPH) is a professional master's degree in public health (course-based) while Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH) is more research oriented (research-based). The differences include:

Nature: MPH is a professional degree while MSPH is an academic degree.

Research: In MPH, there is less focus on research while in MSPH, the major focus is on research.

Career opportunities: In MPH, the individual can move on to a career in public policy, administration, education, and so on while in MSPH,the individual can find employment in NGOs, state sector organizations, industries, etc. However, mostly, the careers in MSPH are related to academia.

Note: Students going for research-based programs also have a higher advantage of getting funding than those going for course-based programs.

*A "strong" application includes good GPA (which you have), good SOP, great LOR, and good GRE score (if required).

*To spread your risk, you can apply to 1 or 2 top-ranked schools, 1 or 2 medium-ranked schools and 2 safe schools (low-ranked schools).

I wish you the best! smiley

Wow!! Thank you very much glitteringstar , you have really made me glitter this morning �. You have really put me at ease I must say and I would get to work asap. Please I would not mind if you or anyone on this thread could mail GRE materials to me as some schools asked for. I have jotted all you said that and please if I may ask what's LOR? Please don't laugh at me. I would put in my app for both MPH and MSPH abeg because me I need funding make I no lie.

Cheers ore.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Moley22(m): 11:06am On Sep 04, 2017
fgsamuel:
Hello ladies and gentlemen, I started following this thread a few months back and really appreciate the effort to have put a golden sphere like this together over the years. However like many other people following this thread, I also need help.

I got a mail from fanshawe College, London, Ontario that I'm admissible to the program I applied for (Building information modelling) but I need to pay a refundable deposit of tuition of $2,300 before the admission letter can be issued. Please house, should I go ahead and pay the deposit?

My other concern is regarding the funding for this program. I intend to sell my nearly completed house and car which will raise me around $11k out of $16k Tuition, not including accommodation, feeding and flight...is it a wise decision to sell those stuffs as I'm sponsoring myself. Also, Hope the visa office won't tackle me with such amount in my account?

Guys please help me evaluate my chances, and advice me further!
Thanks in advance guys!
Good morning boss,
Haba..... Haba again, you want to sell so much property and still act as main sponsor... Kilode?
*i doubt if you've been following this thread because people in the same school were mandated to pay the same tuition deposit to secure their space and admission to get an unconditional admission letter for visa application, best bet is you inquire if its refundable upon visa denial if you have doubts (we all do)
* All of these property sales, how long is your intended stay? If they are your only property why sell them? Why not raise more funds, loans, source help from family members? Adding your properties will serve as home ties but not totally but then it's your decision
*if you still choose to be the main sponsor you will need Tuition+10K cad which is compulsory for the number of years you intend to stay
Best bet is you look for someone to really sponsor you, you alone may or may not fly
Imho, try and save more because from the post you gave, you haven't acquired enough funds
Then page 0 of this thread might also help you prepare well,
(just my little piece of advice i also gained over time from this forum)
Goodluck sir

May God do it for the rest of we hopefuls

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Igbouwanile(m): 11:47am On Sep 04, 2017
bimbodelebite:
Pls are u going for sept admission? Can u still make it.
lolz, u quoted the wrong moniker bro,
& no,, am not resuming this sept anymore.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by ogheneese07: 11:58am On Sep 04, 2017
Hello house,
Happy holiday☺
I am planning on using my uncle as sponsor and my mom as co-sponsor. My uncle is also my employer.I have been working in his company for the past 8 months. I just want to know how plausible that sounds ? I am going to do a court affidavits stating our relationship and having read through previous post I will ask him to pay money into my dorm account to show his commitment to fund me. He is also going to state it in his letter of sponsorship. Please house what do u guys think ? Ideas and suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by vikmeek: 12:54pm On Sep 04, 2017
thesoj:

1. Keep your uncle as sponsor (different last name doesn't matter, you will show proof using birth certificates showing he and your mom share the same parents). He pays one year of tuition to your school, and then transfers one year living expenses funds to your dom account. Attach all this proof and present to VO. In addition, your uncle would explain all this in his sponsorship letter as evidence of his willingness to sponsor you.

2. A transfer from your uncle to your mom's account will show up as a lump sum. How will you/she explain this to the VO? Also it's best to transfer to a dom account (GBP, since your uncle's funds are in this currency) so you don't lose money due to the continuous devaluation of the Naira (and something called "buy-sell spread": basically you lose money if you go from GBP to NGN and back to GBP even if on same day).

3. For home ties, in my view a study leave letter is not in itself a very credible home tie. Think about it, why would an employer hold a job for you unless you have an extraordinarily special skill that isn't present in the Nigerian labor force? I'm not saying you shouldn't include a study leave letter, I'm saying that you need to also present other home ties (e.g. credible plans on what you plan to use your Canada educational skills to build/develop when you come back to Nigeria... be as specific and clear as possible.)

Thanks A bunch

Pls, concerning d Dom account, I don't have any yet. Is it best I open a Dom account in GBP or in USD.

For the Home Tie, the Study Leave letter is one of d things I intend using, I have 7 siblings and my two parents I will use them as family home tie, then my rented Lagos apartment receipt and agreement. Also i don't have any landed property yet, but my mum has, is it OK I "buy" it from her and use d property to show home tie too?

Don't you think is risky paying school fees bfr visa, at least to save me from d stress of a refund( I don't intend to.be negative minded here).

My Uncle can be my main sponsor wgooe my mum and I act as co-sponsor as Iv been working close to two yrs.

Thank you as I get cleared on these

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by irohak: 12:55pm On Sep 04, 2017
I'm sorry for the troubles

Kelechi

GlitteringStar:

He asked you a question and quoted my post with it. cheesy

Cc: Irohak

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
nwakaegoabisola:

Wow!! Thank you very much glitteringstar , you have really made me glitter this morning �. You have really put me at ease I must say and I would get to work asap. Please I would not mind if you or anyone on this thread could mail GRE materials to me as some schools asked for. I have jotted all you said that and please if I may ask what's LOR? Please don't laugh at me. I would put in my app for both MPH and MSPH abeg because me I need funding make I no lie.

Cheers ore.

LOR means Letter of Recommendation. Follow up with your referees to make sure they reply before the deadline (some Nigerian lecturers are lazy and wouldn't respond at all or some would reply when the deadline has passed). So I will advise you to choose someone who is willing to write a strong and comprehensive letter for you because all these are important aspects of your application. Some programs require academic referees while others require professional referees. Check the school website for details.

Most graduate programs in Canadian Universities do not require GRE except business schools. But, people applying to Canadian Universities do write GRE to bolster their application so as to increase their chances of getting admission and also support their visa application. You can check the school website for the requirements to know if GRE is required or not. Graduate advisors are also friendly and always willing to provide answers to your questions. Contact them if you need any details.

For GRE materials, there is a GRE thread on this forum. You can download lots of materials there and also get tips on how to pass the exam.

If you can submit a strong application, you have a high chance of getting full funding. But, you need to do your research, dot your i's and cross your t's and and commit the rest to God.

It will surely end in praise smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by irohak: 1:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
Thank you so much Mike. I appreciate your kind assistance

Kelechi

Mikelincoln:
it happens @times wen u'r making a mistake somewhere in filling ur documents buh den I would say u may not be making any mistake as I had same issue wif linking my application den. I tried it for more than 2months b4 it was linked eventually tho I wasn't making any mistake. So keep trying it will later link up
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by bronze25(f): 1:34pm On Sep 04, 2017
Jejelaye01:

Flywire portal is very friendly. All you need do is register with a valid email and password and you are good to go. After registration, u select the name of your school and click on start payment.
You input the amount you want to pay in a box and you are asked in subsequent column the mode of payment ranging from payment with card to payment with form A in dollars, pounds or exact amount in canadian dollars.
If you are paying with form A, You click form A and the conversion is done for you by the system. Once you click continue to payment, your payment instructions appears and it's also sent to your mail (the mail you use in registering).
Its this payment instruction you will take to your bank along side your passport, your undergraduate certificate, nysc, ur admission letter and also a kind of authorization letter from your school.
With the above you are good to go.
But note that the payment instructions from flywire to your bank will expire after 72hours.

Please pardon my tenses.
Please did you make your payment from a naira account or a dom account? Its stated in the website that they cannot accept local currency from Nigeria.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Zlatimi: 1:43pm On Sep 04, 2017
Plss must your sponspor be your family member? What if the person thst wants to sponsor you is just your helper and also what if a religious organisation wants to sponsor you eg a very notable church in the country plss can anyone help me.out woth this.. thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by mcobex: 1:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
fgsamuel:
Hello ladies and gentlemen, I started following this thread a few months back and really appreciate the effort to have put a golden sphere like this together over the years. However like many other people following this thread, I also need help.

I got a mail from fanshawe College, London, Ontario that I'm admissible to the program I applied for (Building information modelling) but I need to pay a refundable deposit of tuition of $2,300 before the admission letter can be issued. Please house, should I go ahead and pay the deposit?

My other concern is regarding the funding for this program. I intend to sell my nearly completed house and car which will raise me around $11k out of $16k Tuition, not including accommodation, feeding and flight...is it a wise decision to sell those stuffs as I'm sponsoring myself. Also, Hope the visa office won't tackle me with such amount in my account?

Thanks in advance guys!
CIC won't question the amount of money in your account as long as you explain it in your sop, but just like you said you will be able to raise only 11k of 16k (tuition fee). Your tuition fee isn't complete yet not to talk of your living expenses which is atleast 10k.....so you will be short of atleast 15k. I will advise you get a sponsor while you act as co-sponsor cos if you are the sole sponsor the vo will require you to have all funds for the entire program (2 years..I want to believe it's a 2 year program), you can imagine how much that will be.
Try and get a sponsor then you are good to go as regards funds but if you CAN'T get a sponsor then I will suggest you forget the admission and look for a much more cheaper school(mind you no matter the tuition fee there's one thing that's constant which is your living expenses=$10k/year)

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by nnapo: 1:54pm On Sep 04, 2017
Please guys. I am outside the Country and I need a Nigerian police report. Please how do I go about it. Thanks for your swift response in advance.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by mcobex: 2:22pm On Sep 04, 2017
ogheneese07:
Hello house,
Happy holiday☺
I am planning on using my uncle as sponsor and my mom as co-sponsor. My uncle is also my employer.I have been working in his company for the past 8 months. I just want to know how plausible that sounds ? I am going to do a court affidavits stating our relationship and having read through previous post I will ask him to pay money into my dorm account to show his commitment to fund me. He is also going to state it in his letter of sponsorship. Please house what do u guys think ? Ideas and suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.
It's a good idea. Is your work related to your intended program? Let your uncle state it that you have been working in his company (an intro letter from the company will solve that) and state your department.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Johnpea: 2:31pm On Sep 04, 2017
Sept 4th � Nothing nothing at all �!! Na wa for cic oh shocked
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by mcobex: 2:31pm On Sep 04, 2017
Zlatimi:
Plss must your sponspor be your family member? What if the person thst wants to sponsor you is just your helper and also what if a religious organisation wants to sponsor you eg a very notable church in the country plss can anyone help me.out woth this.. thank you
Anybody or establishment can sponsor you as long as they show commitment(by paying your tuition fee and pay your living expenses into your bank acvount)and explain why they intend spending millions on you. Also they will they will need to show proof of funds enough to take care of your other years on canada and for them to be able to run their family/dependant and establishment

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by mcobex: 2:40pm On Sep 04, 2017
@Abiodunne any news on your application?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by ogheneese07: 3:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
mcobex:
It's a good idea. Is your work related to your intended program? Let your uncle state it that you have been working in his company (an intro letter from the company will solve that) and state your department.

Thanks for your response.I studied computer science. I currently work with the IT dept. I am going for pgc information technology and network security.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Zlatimi: 3:25pm On Sep 04, 2017
mcobex:
Anybody or establishment can sponsor you as long as they show commitment(by paying your tuition fee and pay your living expenses into your bank acvount)and explain why they intend spending millions on you. Also they will they will need to show proof of funds enough to take care of your other years on canada and for them to be able to run their family/dependant and establishment

Thanks so much its a church organistaion that is sponsoring me.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by maziude: 4:08pm On Sep 04, 2017
ogheneese07:

Thanks for your response.I studied computer science. I currently work with the IT dept. I am going for pgc information technology and network security.

Hello boss,

You studied computer sciences? Bsc or HND? What is you CGPA?

All this is necessary so as to know why you would be going for a PGC? It is better to avoid "Purpose of visit" now rather than later.

If your CGPA is low why not go for PGD?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Abiodunne: 4:08pm On Sep 04, 2017
mcobex:
@Abiodunne any news on your application?
No news yet. Thinking of calling the numbers on the accra cic site
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by maziude: 4:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
fgsamuel:

Thanks in advance guys!

Hello gentleman,

Why would you want to sell your properties that could serve as your rallying points in the future (If push comes to shove)?

Like someone advised here, why not look for third party sponsors, loans etc.

Even after selling that amount wont still fly as you need the stipulated fees + upkeep of 10k in your account.

More so, CIC might ask for more commitments ( by asking for proof that the funds will be easily exportable, so how you go take do am then?).

I will suggest you exhaust all possible option and making selling your last option.

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by deebla: 4:19pm On Sep 04, 2017
I hail you guys and wish you all the very best in the TRV pursuit.

I am aware this is the time peeps move in most into the country. If you are coming in to Edmonton Alberta and need a ride from the airport, you can holla and I will be happy to assist with that.

God bless!

6 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Vickenny: 4:32pm On Sep 04, 2017
Hello, please i would like to apply to University of Saskatchewan and University of Manitoba for MSC in Agric Economics (Research based). Have done my findings and those are the two schools that best fit my course. My CGPA is 3.63/5 although I think for the last two years it is more because I sent my result to University of Saskatchewan, it was rated 77%. My question now is do you think I should write a GMAT to increase my chances of getting an admission especially to Manitoba? Thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by deebla: 4:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
I get a mailer daemon email when I reply a nairaland email. Admin?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Vickenny: 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2017
Please have been searching for the GRE thread but can't seem to find it.
GlitteringStar:

LOR means Letter of Recommendation. Follow up with your referees to make sure they reply before the deadline (some Nigerian lecturers are lazy and wouldn't respond at all or some would reply when the deadline has passed). So I will advise you to choose someone who is willing to write a strong and comprehensive letter for you because all these are important aspects of your application. Some programs require academic referees while others require professional referees. Check the school website for details.

Most graduate programs in Canadian Universities do not require GRE except business schools. But, people applying to Canadian Universities do write GRE to bolster their application so as to increase their chances of getting admission and also support their visa application. You can check the school website for the requirements to know if GRE is required or not. Graduate advisors are also friendly and always willing to provide answers to your questions. Contact them if you need any details.

For GRE materials, there is a GRE thread on this forum. You can download lots of materials there and also get tips on how to pass the exam.

If you can submit a strong application, you have a high chance of getting full funding. But, you need to do your research, dot your i's and cross your t's and and commit the rest to God.

It will surely end in praise smiley
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Zlatimi: 4:56pm On Sep 04, 2017
deebla:
I get a mailer daemon email when I reply a nairaland email. Admin?

Big bro am the one who sent it i wanted to ask same.questuons that hv been bothering me plss this is my personal email adress Kool2timmy@yahoo.com my name is timi
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by ogheneese07: 6:02pm On Sep 04, 2017
maziude:

Hello boss,

You studied computer sciences? Bsc or HND? What is you CGPA?

All this is necessary so as to know why you would be going for a PGC? It is better to avoid "Purpose of visit" now rather than later.

If your CGPA is low why not go for PGD?

I have a Bsc.computer science. I would have opted for masters but low CGPA. Isn't pgc and pgd the same thing ? What's the difference please ?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by maziude: 6:19pm On Sep 04, 2017
ogheneese07:

I have a Bsc.computer science. I would have opted for masters but low CGPA. Isn't pgc and pgd the same thing ? What's the difference please ?

The main difference between the two qualifications is that a postgraduate diploma (PGDip, PgDip, PG Dip, PGD or PgD) is more extensive, generally taking around 30 weeks to complete if studied full time. This compares with 15 weeks for a postgraduate certificate (PGCert, PgCert, PG Cert, PGC or PgC).

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by kosb: 6:26pm On Sep 04, 2017
Vickenny:
Please have been searching for the GRE thread but can't seem to find it.

Drop your email address and I'll share my GRE folder with you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by ogheneese07: 6:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
maziude:

The main difference between the two qualifications is that a postgraduate diploma (PGDip, PgDip, PG Dip, PGD or PgD) is more extensive, generally taking around 30 weeks to complete if studied full time. This compares with 15 weeks for a postgraduate certificate (PGCert, PgCert, PG Cert, PGC or PgC).

So, it is safe to say they are the same thing, it's just one is more extensive than the other. Please can you have a look at my statement of purpose. I gathered you also studied computer science. Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Oben209(f): 6:56pm On Sep 04, 2017
Vickenny:
Hello, please i would like to apply to University of Saskatchewan and University of Manitoba for MSC in Agric Economics (Research based). Have done my findings and those are the two schools that best fit my course. My CGPA is 3.63/5 although I think for the last two years it is more because I sent my result to University of Saskatchewan, it was rated 77%. My question now is do you think I should write a GMAT to increase my chances of getting an admission especially to Manitoba? Thank you

How did you get your result rated .. would like to know please

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (501)

Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here / UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa / Qualified Teacher Route / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.