Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? (24656 Views)

Free Seminar On Study Without Ielts, Gre Or Gmat In Canada / Toefl, Ielts, Gre Or Gmat? / Do You Need A Tutor For Ielts, Sat, Gre Or Toefl In Warri And Its Evirons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by wristbangle: 7:42am On Jul 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

IELTS for me.

You won't blame me...
I got an Overall Band Score of 8 with no lessons...
Not even a day of study.

Congrats bro. Is the overall score of IELTS 8?
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:45am On Jul 29, 2017
IELTS is British so if you want to attend a British Uni, you might want to focus on that, the good thing about IELTS is that once you pass it no one can say you don't understand English so Australian, Canadian and even US schools are forced to take you....TOEFL on the other hand is mostly North American especially US so if you want priority in schools out in the States go for TOEFL. The Graduate Record Exam on the other hand is handy if you're looking to get admitted in an American graduate school for more technical courses such as computer sciences, business studies and science affiliated courses...

2 Likes

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 29, 2017
survivor1986:
Team GRE but GRE is not for English. My wonderful GRE score of 161 Quantitative and 154 Verbal is about to expire. I didn't use it - no money, no admission. Painful.
Why bro? That's a good score you got, you can get a scholarship with that if your GPA is good also.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by NwaAmaikpe: 7:49am On Jul 29, 2017
dwilliams:
Please nairalanders, I am interested in travelling overseas for a postgraduate course but most of the schools I have applied to, are demanding for a test which shows my fluency in English language.

Hence I am at a crossroad as I don't know which exam to apply for, I want to know the differences and advantages between GRE, IELTS, TOEFL etc

shocked

Ishilove please what's your advice on this?

wristbangle:

Nah, Overall is 9. (Expert User)
8 is (Very Good User)

But the essence of all lessons is for you to score at least 5 or 6(Modest and Competent User respectively)
That's what most schools/immigration bodies demand.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by DMainMan: 7:53am On Jul 29, 2017
survivor1986:
Team GRE but GRE is not for English. My wonderful GRE score of 161 Quantitative and 154 Verbal is about to expire. I didn't use it - no money, no admission. Painful.
what is your profile. Do u have 2.1 in your BSc. Mail me for scholarship opportunities if u have 2.1 above 3.75/5

4 Likes

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by FBIL: 7:54am On Jul 29, 2017
Go for IELTS! I wrote IELTS after I'd discovered that many countries prefer IELTS to TOEFL because of the standard and the way the exam is packaged. In addition, you'd see the seals and signatures of the government of UK, USA and Australia on the certificate, as a joint venture. I do not know how it's conducted in Nigeria but I wrote mine overseas for emigration purpose and had 8.5. And I met one-on-one with Briton, American and Australian invigilators who explained the remarkable difference between IELTS and others. Good luck to you!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by fidelism: 7:57am On Jul 29, 2017
[quote author=MamaOO post=58936498]Those exams are for different purposes. You cannot compare them.

GRE(Graduate Record Exam): is for people who are applying into graduate school in the United States. This exam can only be taken for admission into Graduate School. Even Americans take it, and the GRE is of different types. The general GRE and the GRE subject tests. Sometimes schools will demand a combination of GRE and the TOEFL for international stations.

TOEFL(Test of English As a Foreign Language): is for international students, both undergraduate and graduate applicants into schools in the US.

Schools in the US rarely accept or ask for IELTS.

IELTS: is used by counties like Canada, UK and Australia and it's used for both educational and also immigrational puposes.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by wristbangle: 7:58am On Jul 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

shocked

Ishilove please what's your advice on this?

Nah, Overall is 9. (Expert User)
8 is (Very Good User)

But the essence of all lessons is for you to score at least 5 or 6(Modest and Competent User respectively)
That's what most schools/immigration bodies demand.

Thanks bro. How would one get a past question and how much does it cost to write the IELTS exam?

Also can IELTS be accepted in USA or Canada schools?
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by AlanTuringAI: 8:02am On Jul 29, 2017
survivor1986:
How do you mean no admission. You should at least get admission in a school there with that score,even if it's a State University. I find that strange.

1 Like

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Ieltstrainer: 8:07am On Jul 29, 2017
If you are interested in IELTS training in Port Harcourt or in need of study materials, contact me via my signature.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by milvet(f): 8:08am On Jul 29, 2017
So what's the essence of the English language in WASSCE

1 Like

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Jasiro: 8:10am On Jul 29, 2017
DMainMan:

what is your profile. Do u have 2.1 in your BSc. Mail me for scholarship opportunities if u have 2.1 above 3.75/5
I'm equally interested bro...
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Jasiro: 8:13am On Jul 29, 2017
dwilliams:
Please nairalanders, I am interested in travelling overseas for a postgraduate course but most of the schools I have applied to, are demanding for a test which shows my fluency in English language.

Hence I am at a crossroad as I don't know which exam to apply for, I want to know the differences and advantages between GRE, IELTS, TOEFL etc
Is there a way you could equally help us with the cost of each test pls?
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by MamaOO: 8:13am On Jul 29, 2017
fidelism:

Your view on IELTS is misleading and erroneous. IELTS academic is the standard English test. Any school that requires English Language test usually list IELTS amongst others.
Please don't tell me what I know or the system I have been in. A whole lot of American schools specifically request for TOEFL and while they do accept IELTS in lieu of TOEFL their main requirement is always TOEFL. Lately sef, a lot of them have been rejecting IELTS because the scoring band is way different and not easy to gauge or score. TOEFL is also administered by ETS, an American testing company that administers GRE General and subject tests.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by DMainMan: 8:14am On Jul 29, 2017
Jasiro:

I'm equally interested bro...
did u score high score in your gre like d guy did
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by GiddyTunes(m): 8:16am On Jul 29, 2017
Please I need material on ielts exams study pack please send it to my email tosin4u2006@yahoo.co.UK
Thanks
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by DMainMan: 8:16am On Jul 29, 2017
ON IELTS AND TOEFL

I guess this is for academic purpose, hence ensure to select IELTS/TOEFL academic

Both are English tests to assess your English language proficiency. As a English
speaking country, we are not meant to write this test but many universities insist we write.
However, most UK universities accept WAEC C6 in lieu of this exams:

IELTS is better because it is highly recognised in any school in the world.

TOEFL is not acceptable in UK and most European schools but useful elsewhere.
Particularly in d US and Canada

ON GRE

GRE assesses your academic ability and critical reasoning and it consists of Maths, English and Writing.
It is usually required for admission for MSc and PhD in schools in USA, Canada, middle east, Turkey e.t.c
If u score very high mark in GRE and meet d requirement set, u might b given scholarship.

In UK and many other European university, GRE is not required for admission or scholarship.

2 Likes

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by eyinjuege: 8:16am On Jul 29, 2017
Where do you want to do your postgraduate?

America and Canada prefers TOEFL.

UK, Australia is fine with IELTS. I think even IELTS is recognised in Canada..
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by meforyou1(m): 8:19am On Jul 29, 2017
wristbangle:

no. 9
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Jasiro: 8:19am On Jul 29, 2017
DMainMan:

do u score high score in your gre like d guy did
I'm still planning to apply for the test, but my cgpa is ok. Is it a necessity to first write d test before applying for d scholarships you mentioned?
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 29, 2017
dwilliams:

But which country would you love to go to? I am asking because majority of Uk universities don't need IELTS. Nigeria is an English speaking country. You need to take GRE or TOEFLq if you want to school in America and for some schools in Canada. dwilliams
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by papijulah: 8:22am On Jul 29, 2017
MamaOO:
Those exams are for different purposes. You cannot compare them.

GRE(Graduate Record Exam): is for people who are applying into graduate school in the United States. This exam can only be taken for admission into Graduate School. Even Americans take it, and the GRE is of different types. The general GRE and the GRE subject tests. Sometimes schools will demand a combination of GRE and the TOEFL for international stations.

TOEFL(Test of English As a Foreign Language): is for international students, both undergraduate and graduate applicants into schools in the US.

IELTS: is used by counties like Canada, UK and Australia and it's used for both educational and also immigrational puposes.

TOEFL and GRE is not used for immigration all purposes.

You are very wrong about "US rarely ask for IELTS" keep ur ignorance at home
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by eyinjuege: 8:23am On Jul 29, 2017
DMainMan:
ON IELTS AND TOEFL

I guess this is for academic purpose, hence ensure to select IELTS/TOEFL academic

Both are English tests to assess your English language proficiency. As a English
speaking country, we are not meant to write this test but many universities insist we write.
However, most UK universities accept WAEC C6 in lieu of this exams:

IELTS is better because it is highly recognised in any school in the world.

TOEFL is not acceptable in UK and most European schools but useful elsewhere..

Most UK schools don't need English language requirement from Nigerian students, as our educational training is only in English. They also accept TOEFL too btw, if you submit it. They definitely won't ask you to submit IELTS if you have your TOEFL.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by DMainMan: 8:24am On Jul 29, 2017
MamaOO:

U really answered well but u are wrong in some cases. Note the following corrections to your statement:

a. TOEFL is used for immigration purpose in both Australia and Newzealand
b. USA accept IELTS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by dipznano: 8:24am On Jul 29, 2017
MamaOO:

OP this person just solved your problem if you couldn't google...

Better still,
- Pick a school
- visit the website
- check your graduate program requirements (your relevant test would be stated, some schools in Canada might even say you need not do any)

>> and if after all you are still confused, contact (mail/call) the department where your program lies or the faculty of graduate studies...

If after all this you are still confused, please don't waste your money, learn a trade grin

3 Likes

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by chibzu: 8:27am On Jul 29, 2017
Please I'd like to register for the GRE and write it, around Warri area. Does any one have idea about the registration?
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by DMainMan: 8:29am On Jul 29, 2017
eyinjuege:

Most UK schools don't need English language requirement from Nigerian students, as our educational training is only in English. They also accept TOEFL too btw, if you submit it. They definitely won't ask you to submit IELTS if you have your TOEFL.

but some top UK schools insist u must write IELTS.

UK universities no longer accept TOEFL for student visa purposes
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by hustla(m): 8:29am On Jul 29, 2017
360command:
I have noticed that when you do an application yourself, that is when schools requires you to write English test.. but when you are abroad itself and present yourself, they can't tell you to write English test knowing you were probably taught in English at your home uni.

This isn't true
My friend is in australia and was still told to write Ielts before being given admission into a university there 2 weeks ago
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by otswag(m): 8:30am On Jul 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

IELTS for me.

You won't blame me...
Not even a day of study.

This is for all those who call me a jobless illiterate fool.

And for my mentor, my alter-ego who believes a true Biafran must have an Igbotic accent.
not one day of study huh? Wehdonesir : cheesy grin
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by ibinaboonline: 8:47am On Jul 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

IELTS for me.

You won't blame me...
Not even a day of study.

This is for all those who call me a jobless illiterate fool.

And for my mentor, my alter-ego who believes a true Biafran must have an Igbotic accent.
nwanne m, ndewo o. Please can you tell me what d actual test feels like. R there oral sections in the test? I ask bc I'm wondering if a deaf person can take d exam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Result Changed From 2.2 To 2.1 After Four Years Of Graduation / Kaduna: Bandits Moved Children Like 'herd Of Cows', How I Escaped - Student / About Your Primary Or Secondary School In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.